RussianJet
Topic Author

Languages You Know And Favourites

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Which languages do you speak and to what extent?

Which is your favourite and why?

I speak:

English (native)
Russian (fluent)
French (fairly good)
German (basic)

I know smatterings of words and phrases in other languages too, and there are several I either want to learn or am trying to learn. I am currently trying to embark on a serious attempt to learn Yakut. It is extremely hard though, and I don't expect progress to be particularly rapid.

My favourite is Russian, simply because I love the way it sounds and feels, and it is such a different way of expressing ideas from the way we do in English.

So, tell me what you know and why you like it.  smile 
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

dtwclipper

RE: Languages You Know And Favourites

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

English & German (Native)
French (OK)
Spanish (not great)
Yiddish (I can understand 'bout 90% but I'm not conversant)
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

OA260

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 pm

English Native

Greek Good Would say fluent but my Grammer needs patching up.

German Basic ( forgotten alot of it )

French Just a few sentances and words. I learnt it for a year at school then dropped it.

Irish Just basic words and sentances. Self taught Via a home course.

Want to learn :

Urdu and Arabic

My favourite is Greek its such an expressive language.

RGElectra80

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 pm

English & Portuguese (fluent)
Spanish (intermediate, I can read and talk for the most part but I am still learning how to write in it)
Arabic (I'm trying to learn, I managed to learn most the alphabet already but right now I really need to focus on finding a job more than anything else)
austinspotter.wordpress.com

RussianJet
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):
English & German (Native)
French (OK)
Spanish (not great)
Yiddish (I can understand 'bout 90% but I'm not conversant)

That's a fine list - which is your favourite and why?

ajd1992

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:52 pm

English - Native
German - Read but not spoken.

dc9northwest

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Romanian (native)
English (excellent)
French (very good)
Italian (alright)

I can read (and somewhat understand when spoken), but not really speak:
Spanish
Portuguese
Dutch
German

janmnastami

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Italian (native);
English (I hope to improve my knowledge);
French.

I can read Spanish (it's quite similar to Italian) but I can't write in Spanish.

aero145

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Icelandic : native
English : fluent
German : learning and doing fine
Danish : learned but have gotten much worse after starting learning German

RussianJet
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 8):
Icelandic : native
English : fluent
Danish : learned but have gotten much worse after starting learning German

Does the fact that you are an Icelandic speaker help or hinder you in learning Danish?

Also, I would be grateful for some more general opinions from everyone on what in particular they like or dislike about their languages.

midcon385

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
My favourite is Russian, simply because I love the way it sounds and feels, and it is such a different way of expressing ideas from the way we do in English.

I agree.

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 6):
I can read (and somewhat understand when spoken), but not really speak:
Spanish
Portuguese
Dutch

Same here. I can read/speak/write English (my native language), can do well in Russian and, to a lesser extent, German. I have limited experience in several other languages, including Greek. I have studied Russian for over ten years and am able to read it extremely well, but don't have nearly as much experience or confidence in speaking it, though I can introduce myself and have a basic conversation in it without much difficulty. I can also write Russian fairly well.

Пока!

Тимофей
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

QantasA333

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:36 pm

English: native
Indonesian: learning it at school, i'm OK at it I guess..
French: basic words and phrases
Japanese: basic words, dropped it after moving schools

tz757300

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:46 pm

English (Native)
Spanish (Relearning it, so basic fluency)
German (3-4 words, haha)

I Like Spanish because it shares such a commonality with English it just makes me think.

I would love to learn:
French
Russian
Polish
Afrikaans
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

IFlyTWA

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 pm

English - Native
Macedonian - Native

German - Learning

I would love to learn:
Russian
Polish
Italian

Favorite is Macedonian.
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

andaman

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:58 pm

These four I had at school:

Finnish: native
English: ok
Swedish: basic (the 2nd official in Finland)
German: very basic

Spanish, Italian, Estonian, Sami: some

I suppose like for most, my native language is my favorite. I like to way Finnish is different from most other European languages, like the grammar doesn't separate genders, for an example.
Would be cool to learn Hebrew and Russian.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

luckyone

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am

I agree it sounds very interesting. I spent a month in Armenia (a lot of Russian spoken) and then a week in Moscow this summer. I swear I turned my tongue inside out and spat a gallon on myself trying to pronounce some of the words. The worst ones seemingly had seventeen consonants in a row with no vowels in sight! At the same time I found it easier than Armenian which is very guttural, which many of the sounds coming from the back of the throat.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am

Quoting IFlyTWA (Reply 13):
Favorite is Macedonian.

Македонски! Great choice, I like the way it sounds. I understand it's almost the same as Bulgarian - is that really the case? I do know a little Bulgarian.

LH423

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:28 am

For me, I'm not the polyglot that some of you are.

I'm native in English and almost fluent in French (Canadian, tabarnak !  Smile)

As a native speaker, I do enjoy the English language. It's a versatile, expressive language that has a large vocabulary that can capture certain nuances.

I'd love to learn German. Many English speakers find it a harsh, ugly sounding language but I find something really pleasant about its flow when spoken by a native speaker.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

OA260

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 17):
Many English speakers find it a harsh, ugly sounding language but I find something really pleasant about its flow when spoken by a native speaker.

My Sister also says that but I love German and especially Swiss German which is very nice.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
especially Swiss German which is very nice.

I'm kind of neutral on German really, don't love it, don't hate it, but I have to agree that Swiss German sounds way cooler than ordinary Hochdeutsch.

iairallie

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 am

English (native)
French (fluent as a child, not conversant anymore)
German (basic ie can function shop, read menu, instructions)
Studied in school very basic...
Spanish
Russian
Latin
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

canuckpaxguy

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:48 am

I can speak and spell in English (my native language), as well as French and Greek (although I struggle with proper grammar with both). For some reason, I seem to understand Italian, although I can't speak it.

G

radiopolitic

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:11 am

English (native)
Turkish (native)
Persian (moderate fluency)
Arabic (poor)
French (poor)

I can understand a good portion of spoken Azeri, Uzbek, Turkmen, Uyghur etc. but reading and writing is virtually impossible.

Trying to pick up Mongolian and Old Persian (cuneiform).

Would like to learn Hungarian and Finnish.

Favourite language by far is Persian stripped of the Arabic words. It is incredibly intonational and melodic, it just rolls off the tongue.

andaman

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 am

Quoting Radiopolitic (Reply 22):
Would like to learn Hungarian and Finnish.

Thats interesting, do you have Hungarian/Finnish speaking friends?

For me the Hungarian language has a familiar melody, but thats about alI I can recognize. It's amazing Finnish and Hungarian belong to the same language family being so far from each other geographically.

My foreign friends in Finland are struggling with Finnish more or less, not easy to learn it seems, so we use English or 'Finglish' most of the time.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

TIA

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 am

I'm just participating so I that mention a new language.  Smile

Albanian - native
English - fluent
Italian - conversational
Spanish - very, very little

I really regret stopping taking French lessons years ago because now I have forgotten even what I knew back then.

LFutia

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 am

English (Native)
Dutch (Intermediate)
Hindi (Basic)
Spanish (Very very little)

Favourite - Dutch -- Easier and different from German (just add ge or ij and double some letters!) it is definitely hard on the throat but it sounds so cool!

For the people who know Dutch -- Sinds ik werk bij Chicago O'Hare, Ik vind Nederlands een heel bijzonder taal te spreken. Dit is een taal dat je wil niet zo horen evenzeer als Fraans, Spaans en Duits. Ik zie een passpoort van Nederland of Belgie en ik kijk op je instaapkaart en ik zeg" goeiemiddag of alsjeblieft en prettige reis verder" ze passagiers reageren in Nederlands.
Persoonlijk - ik hou van de Nederlandse cultuur en ik vind die mensen heel vriendelijk!

English - Since I work at Chicago O'Hare, I find Dutch a unique language. It is a language not so much heard as French, Spanish or German. I see a Dutch or Belgian passport and i'll have a look at your boarding pass and i'll say Good afternoon or here you go and pleasant travels. My passengers will also respond back in Dutch. Personally, I love the Dutch culture and I find the people very friendly!
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

radiopolitic

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:50 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 23):
Thats interesting, do you have Hungarian/Finnish speaking friends?

Unfortunately, I don't. My father has Finnish and Hungarian colleagues though.

Geography isn't much of an indicator for linguistic similarity. I can understand a good chuck of Uyghur which is mostly spoken in China, just through knowing Turkish.

I believe, though correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't looked into Finno-Ugric studies much that as a people you were from somewhere near the Ural Mountains and migrated from there over time into your current day locations. At least I thought that was one of the theories thrown around, maybe it has fallen out of favour as of late.

Both languages are offered at University of Toronto, so maybe I'll chance it.

andaman

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:34 am

Quoting Radiopolitic (Reply 26):
I believe, though correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't looked into Finno-Ugric studies much that as a people you were from somewhere near the Ural Mountains and migrated from there over time into your current day locations

Yes thats correct what comes to Finnish and other Finno-Ugric languages, though the genetic background of native Finns is more mixed than believed before, the cocktail is mostly southern/western, especially in the Swedish speaking parts of Finland. But the strong eastern factor sure exists.

I have learned that my personal genetic map has a strong eastern influence, the genetic path (from the paternal side) goes all the way to Central-Asia. This new information probably explains some Asian features in my family, we have always thought there must be some Roma blood in our veins, there is a rather large Roma minority in Finland.

Sorry going off the original topic ,)

allrite

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

Native speaker of English - had also to learn the Queensland dialect to communicate with classmates in high school. Just means dropping words of more than two syllables (true fluency means inserting "bloody" every couple of words, along with copious "she'll be right"s and "nah worries mate"s - though this is also found elsewhere in Australia). Had to expand the vocabulary again when I returned south to university.

Japanese - spent 3 years studying it in high school and seriously took it up again as of Sunday, almost 20 years later. Used what I know quite a lot, considering the number of times I've visited Japan and the number of Japanese computers I own. The nice thing about Japanese is that they have a written language based on easily pronounced syllables (though they still use Chinese characters as well). Japanese doesn't have the same tonal complexities as the Chinese and some SE Asian dialects.

Music - can read fluently, basic writing skills (didn't study too much musical grammar), playing skills need a lot more practice!

Mathematics - my favourite language, though getting a little rusty.

HTML, PHP - expert! Even remember some BASIC, C++, Perl, etc.  Smile

Can understand and speak few words in German (thanks Austrian Inspector Rex!) and French - I always try to learn the basics for holidays. The shared Latin basis of Western European languages, including English, makes it easy to gain a basic understanding.

Bahasa Malaysia - a number of words, once bothered to study sentences as well, though these are mostly forgotten. The main thing is to makan anyway.

Cantonese - I know when it's time to eat!

Dutch - I can speak Dutch. No, wait, that was just a coughing fit!
I like artificial banana essence!

Wolverine

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:08 am

german- native
english- fluent
french- basic
dutch- I understand many words, but I can't conversate. Want to learn it.
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

signol

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:11 am

English - native
French - used to be fluent, when I was living there, but not so much now, mainly lack of practice
German - reasonable. Haven't officially studied it since school, but I work for a German company so occasionally get to practice with colleagues and the occasional visit to Head Office in Munich.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Superfly

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:23 am

Which languages do you speak and to what extent?

Which is your favourite and why?

English

My favorite is Thai and I have a basic knowledge of Thai and still learning.
Another language I like is Tagalog (Filipino), Mandarin, Cantonese (Chinese) and Spanish.
Favorite dialect of Spanish is Salvadorian.
Bring back the Concorde

JJJ

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:23 am

Spanish & Catalan (native)
English: fairly good
French: less so
Portuguese: about the same as French, I can speak it quite fluently after years of visiting Portugal (quite rare a thing for Spaniards, as you can usually get by just speaking Spanish there) but only learning grammar and stuff since this very year.
Russian: took two basic courses, couldn't learn any further but I can still communicate basic stuff (restaurant, taxi, hello-goodbye type of conversations).

Of course, knowing 4 Romance languages (plus secondary school Latin) means you can read and sometimes understand Italian, Romanian, etc.

Of these I'm partial to Russian and Portuguese. I'd love to learn more.

Toulouse

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
My Sister also says that but I love German and especially Swiss German which is very nice.

Totally agree with you, I love the accent of Swiss German.

So my languages:

English (native)
Spanish (fluent)
French (I think "fluent" is not the right word, I struggle with it, but living here in Frenace for 6 going on 7 years now, I get by no problem. Why I don't say "fluent", people know I'm foreign, which is 99% of the time not the case in Spanish. I also find French a difficult language to write.
Italian (very basic, plan to actually sit down and learn it one day as I've Italian blood)
German (very basic, understand basic stuff that gets me by travelling, but love the language. I'm just now embarking on a German course).
Japanese (Nearly all forgotten. Studied it for 2 years as part of my degree, but got so frustrated with learning to write it, I sadly dropped it. Funny thing is, I found it MUCH easier to lear to "speak" than European languages).
Irish (Sadly, despite learning it throughout my primary and secondary schooling in Dublin, and managing to scrape a D (pass) at pass level in the "Leaving Certificate" (Irish public examination at end of secondary school for university entrance), I hardly remember a single word of it.

There are many languages I'd like to learn, but sadly lack of time prevents me. I'm going to give German a serious shot now, and then do Italian (which I know will be easier for me). I'd also like to learn one of the Scandinavian languages, Russian, Polish, Dutch (which is supposed to be interesting), but think that's all a bit too much.
Long live Aer Lingus!

iairallie

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:50 pm

I also did esti school as a small child. Estonian language my mother is a native speaker. I remember maybe 10 words and phrases now.

I love German. I think it is such a sexy masculine sounding language.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 34):
I also did esti school as a small child

Then they should have taught you to write Eesti!  smile 

fatmirjusufi

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Albanian (native)
English (fluent)
German (learned three years in high-school,read well, speak a little)

Want to learn
Arabic (learned writing and reading from TV, love Arabic calligraphy)
Swiss-German (simply I'm amazed by this dialect. Grüezi mitenand I love this Swiss-German word. You're Swiss if you can clearly pronounce this word: CHUCHICHÄSCHTLI.
I'm working out for this. lol  Smile

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

GrahamHill

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 pm

I speak:

French (mother tongue)
English (good level, I studied it and I've been living in Ireland for almost 5 years)
Spanish (average level, I studied as well, but I'm not practicing anymore)

I studied Japanese for three years, but I cannot remember much about it, apart from a couple of sentences and few words. It's a shame, because I love Japan and the Japanese culture. But I'm too lazy to back to studies.

I also studied German two years, but I only remember few words. That was a long time ago.

I read and understand a fair good amount of Italian, but I don't speak it. It's the language I like to most to swear Big grin
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

aero145

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):
Does the fact that you are an Icelandic speaker help or hinder you in learning Danish?

It helps me of course! But still, it helps me more with learning German than it did with Danish when I was learning it. I like German way more than Danish.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):
Also, I would be grateful for some more general opinions from everyone on what in particular they like or dislike about their languages.

Icelandic: This is a language that somehow makes so much sense grammatically (yeah, I know it’s my first language). It is very difficult, though, but it makes so much sense!  Silly

English: An awkward language really, but easy to know it on a basic basis. I actually find it very difficult!

German: The Hochdeutsch is fine, but Schwytzerdütsch just rocks! Big grin Would love to learn it one day (when I’ll be fluent in German!).

Danish: A language I was forced to learn - in Iceland one has to learn it from the 7th grade until one finishes high school. I dislike it and find it ugly. It’s a very easy language though, both grammatically and pronunciation-wise. I still admit I don’t know much of it (I haven’t had the chance to learn it well and never lived in Denmark), but it’s easy!  Smile

Sabena332

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 pm

German: Native
English: Fluent
Spanish: Quite ok
Dutch: I can read it and understand it when slowly spoken

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 8):

I can confirm that, your German ist already very good! Give it a few months and you are fluent.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

fatmirjusufi

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 38):
Schwytzerdütsch just rocks! Big grin Would love to learn it one day

Yeah me too. Love it. Here's a Pimsleur Method learning Swiss-German:
http://www.pimsleurmethod.com/pimsleur-swiss-german.html

Also you can check for others languages:
http://www.pimsleurmethod.com/
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

aero145

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 39):
I can confirm that, your German ist already very good! Give it a few months and you are fluent.

Why, thank you Herr Potrafke!  cheerful 

OA260

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 38):
but Schwytzerdütsch just rocks!

Äbä, genau  bigthumbsup 

iliribdl

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 am

Albanian (native)
Serbo-Croatian (I'd say about 75%)
English (fluent)
German (learning, planning to be fluent in about 2 years)

I'd love to learn Greek and Chinese as well. lol

Favorite, I'd say German, I just love their language.
delta.com

aero145

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 42):

Smile

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 43):
planning to be fluent in about 2 years

Good to hear!

iairallie

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:44 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 35):
write Eesti!

Oops missed that extra E.

flyboyseven

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 am

English(native)
Spanish(functionally fluent)
French(understand a lot)
German(know the most basic basics)

I plan to start learning German. I also really like welsh, but I don't see that as a language I will ever be able to practice living here in Canada. Another I would like to learn is Russian, but again, not a very productive one to know here.
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

aero145

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

Quoting Flyboyseven (Reply 46):
I plan to start learning German.

Kudos!  Wink

Kiqaboy

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Albanian( native )
Swedish( second language, i started first class school in Sweden)
English ( Fluent )
Serbian ( fairly )
Turkish ( fairly)

I would like to learn French.
once upone time

fatmirjusufi

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Quoting Kiqaboy (Reply 48):
Turkish ( fairly)

Çok güzel.  biggrin 
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.