JFKMan
Topic Author

VP Biden Laughs At Chief Justice John Roberts

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:13 am

Joe Biden, gaft prone himself, has made a joke out of Cheif Justice John Roberts mix up or words yesterday. His 'joke' got a few laughs today while President Obama did not approve. I think it was nice of the President not to approve.

Biden has no right to make fun of Roberts. We know he does not like him, as he voted against him in his confirmation hearing, but still...that was a mean low blow!
AA - LGA

luv2fly

RE: VP Biden Laughs At Chief Justice John Roberts

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 am

Quoting JFKMan (Thread starter):
Biden has no right to make fun of Roberts. We know he does not like him, as he voted against him in his confirmation hearing, but still...that was a mean low blow!

Because he is a Bush appointee or that he is a Republican? He screwed up and normally people get made fun of for screwing up, so explain why he gets a pass?
You can cut the irony with a knife

swiftski

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am

Obama handled the situation well.

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):

He tried to save the situation for both parties.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 am

Just more of what we already now. Biden will continue to do this because he is part of the saviors team and will always get a pass. To be honest I still think he was a terrible pick for VP. Obama could have done much better and not Hillary either.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
Because he is a Bush appointee or that he is a Republican? He screwed up and normally people get made fun of for screwing up, so explain why he gets a pass?

Its not about getting a pass..its about the Vice President of the United States laughing at and making fun of the Chief Justice of the United States in public. Its not the honorable thing to do, but I guess Biden is not that honorable.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):

He did...thats because Obama is a honorable man. (politics aside)
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 5):

Its not about getting a pass..its about the Vice President of the United States laughing at and making fun of the Chief Justice of the United States in public. Its not the honorable thing to do, but I guess Biden is not that honorable.

So speaking the truth is not honorable? He screwed up it is on tv for the whole world to see, it is not like Biden is making it up. So again what is the deal, don't want people to make fun of you, don't screw up.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
So speaking the truth is not honorable? He screwed up it is on tv for the whole world to see, it is not like Biden is making it up. So again what is the deal, don't want people to make fun of you, don't screw up.

Mocking someone is NOT honorable. Making fun of someone for a laugh is not honorable.

Obama saw what Biden said was wrong and stepped in..

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
To be honest I still think he was a terrible pick for VP.

I think Obama is seeing that he made a mistake in choosing Biden.
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 7):
Mocking someone is NOT honorable. Making fun of someone for a laugh is not honorable.

Obama saw what Biden said was wrong and stepped in..

Again mocking is making up, he is repeating what the whole world saw! Just because you do not like it does not make it wrong.

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 7):
I think Obama is seeing that he made a mistake in choosing Biden.

And you know this why?

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 8):
Again mocking is making up, he is repeating what the whole world saw! Just because you do not like it does not make it wrong.

I think it is wrong and its not just because I dont like it.

And you know this why?

I don't know it..I think it. I think it because I would If I was him.

A. Because of what Jill Biden said on Oprah.

B. Because of all of Bidens gafts and this!

C. I saw Obamas face today when Biden made fun of Roberts.
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:57 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 9):
And you know this why?

I don't know it..I think it. I think it because I would If I was him.

A. Because of what Jill Biden said on Oprah.

B. Because of all of Bidens gafts and this!

C. I saw Obamas face today when Biden made fun of Roberts.

And what Jill says is Joe's fault why?
And Joe has always made gaffes and this was supposed to change just because he is now VP.
And who ever has never put there foot in there mouth in front of a co-worker and or boss.

aa757first

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 am

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Would it be appropriate for him to joke about Hillary's Bosnia "slip-up" in public? Probably not. Just because Roberts was appointed by a Republican doesn't mean he -- or his office -- should be up for public mocking.

All in all, though, its more childish than dishonorable.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:03 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 10):
And what Jill says is Joe's fault why?
And Joe has always made gaffes and this was supposed to change just because he is now VP.
And who ever has never put there foot in there mouth in front of a co-worker and or boss.

Just forget it...Seriously. Biden did a stupid and childish thing. He should not of made a joke out of the Chief Justice of the United States of America.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 11):
All in all, though, its more childish than dishonorable.

I think it was a little bit of both TBH.
AA - LGA

Mir

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:41 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 5):
its about the Vice President of the United States laughing at and making fun of the Chief Justice of the United States in public.

Which isn't appropriate. Save that sort of thing for the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:07 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
Which isn't appropriate. Save that sort of thing for the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

Only if Roberts OKs it. I believe Presidents OK it in their WHCDs. AKA when Bush would joke on Cheney.
AA - LGA

Super80DFW

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 am

I don't think it was right for VP Biden to laugh and make jokes at Chief Justice Roberts. I think it was honorable of President Obama to not laugh, and keep a straight face. Although, I do think Chief Justice Roberts should have studied his lines a bit more. There is no doubt this is going to be made fun of. I'm sure we will see and hear many jokes on the late night talk shows about it, and SNL.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 12):
Just forget it...Seriously. Biden did a stupid and childish thing. He should not of made a joke out of the Chief Justice of the United States of America.

Cheney never should have shot someone either, yet he kept his job.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 15):
I don't think it was right for VP Biden to laugh and make jokes at Chief Justice Roberts. I think it was honorable of President Obama to not laugh, and keep a straight face. Although, I do think Chief Justice Roberts should have studied his lines a bit more. There is no doubt this is going to be made fun of. I'm sure we will see and hear many jokes on the late night talk shows about it, and SNL.

I agree Super. Except I think Roberts just got struck in the historic moment he was about to be part of. Im sure any normal day he would of got them right.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):

Thats different. It was an accident.
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 17):
Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):

Thats different. It was an accident.

And yet you cut Biden no slack for making an "accidental" gaffe, hello kettle, pot here your black.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 18):

And yet you cut Biden no slack for making an "accidental" gaffe, hello kettle, pot here your black

That was no "accidental" gaffe! That was a blatant mocking joke. Big difference.
AA - LGA

jcs17

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 am

You stay classy, Democrats...

-My representative (Jim Moran-D) had an outburst a la Cynthia McKinney with Capitol Police on Inauguration Day.

-The Obama White House website slagged Bush regarding Hurricane Katrina claiming to keep promises to the people of New Orleans that Bush didn't keep. (Like what, allowing the Lower 9th to be populated with criminals?)

-Barack Obama, instead of looking forward for hope, change, etc., in his inauguration speech he decided to dredge up the past and blame Bush for numerous things.

-What did you expect from Biden? He's a typical angry, bitter liberal. This guy has called the man who caused the accident that killed his son "a drunk," even though he wasn't.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 28):
-Barack Obama, instead of looking forward for hope, change, etc., in his inauguration speech he decided to dredge up the past and blame Bush for numerous things.

No your kidding Bush made mistakes, say it ain't so.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:09 am

-The Obama White House website slagged Bush regarding Hurricane Katrina claiming to keep promises to the people of New Orleans that Bush didn't keep. (Like what, allowing the Lower 9th to be populated with criminals?)

I just heard that on Sean Hannity. Its sad....but not surprising I guess.
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 30):

I just heard that on Sean Hannity. Its sad....but not surprising I guess.

Because, let me say it they are unhonorable Democrats. No credit for finishing a promised job.

N867DA

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 am

It's gonna be great having your comments during the Obama administration. I'm smiling ear to ear right now!

Let's see if Biden openly curse in Congress. I hope he's stretching his middle finger! He may need to use it soon.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:16 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 32):
Let's see if Biden openly curse in Congress

If he has not already!  Big grin
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 33):
Quoting N867DA (Reply 32):
Let's see if Biden openly curse in Congress

If he has not already!

No worse then McCain calling his wife the C word, which has been captured on youtube for all the hear.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:21 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 34):
No worse then McCain calling his wife the C word, which has been captured on youtube for all the hear.

Do you have a link?
AA - LGA

bok269

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 am

in his inauguration speech he decided to dredge up the past and blame Bush for numerous things.

Where? The only point where Bush was mentioned was at the beginning, when Obama thanked him for his service.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:24 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 36):
Where? The only point where Bush was mentioned was at the beginning, when Obama thanked him for his service.

Yes...thats because it was indirect. Listen to it again...when he talks about certain issues.
AA - LGA

northwestair

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 18):
And yet you cut Biden no slack for making an "accidental" gaffe, hello kettle, pot here your black.

Would that be "I hear your black" or are you say "here you are black". I'm trying to understand
the way you talk. But then again you could say one thing and then really mean something different Big grin
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

stasisLAX

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 am

Maybe Hillary Clinton will end up being the Vice-President after all - if Biden doesn't keep his mouth shut. The look that President Obama shot Biden should have left Joe bleeding from the daggers....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:36 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 39):
Maybe Hillary Clinton will end up being the Vice-President after all - if Biden doesn't keep his mouth shut. The look that President Obama shot Biden should have left Joe bleeding from the daggers....

Do you think Obama would actually do that? Maybe he will give Biden 4 years before asking (telling) him not to run for a 2nd term.
AA - LGA

Aaron747

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 am

Ever heard of decorum? Biden lacks it. We just had a jerk for a VP the last 8 years, there's no need for Biden to upstage it, but then again, he can't help who he is, right?  Yeah sure
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mariner

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 am

I thought it was just an off-hand throwaway. It made me smile and it brought, I thought, a touch of relief to an over-hyped incident.

I thought the greater sin was the Chief Justice for not getting the oath right in the first place and even then I assume he was nervous.

mariner
aeternum nauta

UH60FtRucker

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:45 am

It has to do with statesmanship, and tact.

It was a small embarrassment yesterday, but the President and Chief Justice handled as both gentlemen, and as statesmen. It's just unfortunate that Vice President Biden... and some users here in this thread... can't be as high minded.  Yeah sure
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:48 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 43):

It was a small embarrassment yesterday, but the President and Chief Justice handled as both gentlemen, and as statesmen. It's just unfortunate that Vice President Biden... and some users here in this thread... can't be as high minded.

Your right, Mom always said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" I am guilty as well. Sorry.

Venus6971

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:53 am

Jow Biden is no fan of Chief Justice Roberts, during the Senate confirmation process Biden made a ass of himself of opineing to Roberts for a hour before he got around to ask him a actual question which Roberts hit out of the park making Biden look like a horses ass which he is.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

QANTAS077

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 am

pretty much indicative of Bush and his appointees, the only time Roberts speaks in public, and the most important time, he stuffs it up, less than 40 words and he can't even get it out right.

slz396

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:28 am

Wasn't Roberts one of those persons who's carrier skyrocketed under GWB?

From an appeal court judge to Chief Justice in once step is a huge step to take, especially at his relatively young age, so GWB must really have liked him and have had much faith in his abilities.

Now we know why: whatever it was that CJ Roberts said to charm GWB, it must have made great sense... Probably because it sounded familiarly confusing indeed!  Silly

Elite

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:46 am

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 39):
Probably because it sounded familiarly confusing indeed!

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 38):
the only time Roberts speaks in public, and the most important time, he stuffs it up, less than 40 words and he can't even get it out right.

I wouldn't say that the Chief Justice of the United States is a poor speaker... and I wouldn't doubt his abilities either. John Roberts is a very smart man, and a very able judge. He did screw this up, yes, but I would think that this is a one off situation.

Everyone screws things up sometimes. Obama jumped the gun in the beginning, maybe it threw Roberts off. Who knows? But to berate Roberts over this little gaffe is just uncalled for.

OA412
Crew

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 20):
-What did you expect from Biden? He's a typical angry, bitter liberal. This guy has called the man who caused the accident that killed his son "a drunk," even though he wasn't.

If you're going to make accusations and call someone an "angry, bitter liberal" at least get your facts straight. Both of Biden's sons are very much alive. The accident that you refer to killed Biden's first wife and daughter.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

itsjustme

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 20):

Dredge up the "past"? You mean like the economy being in the toilet? Or the on-going war in Iraq that should never have been started? Or the atrocities that have been on-going at Guantanamo? Or countries that used to be our allies now despising our foreign policies? Nothing past tense about any of these and all occurred on Bush's watch.

rfields5421

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 pm

He should not of made a joke out of the Chief Justice of the United States of America.

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 17):
Except I think Roberts just got struck in the historic moment he was about to be part of. Im sure any normal day he would of got them right.

Quoting Elite (Reply 40):
Obama jumped the gun in the beginning, maybe it threw Roberts off. Who knows? But to berate Roberts over this little gaffe is just uncalled for.

Oh come on - Roberts is a lawyer and trying to recite the most important oath in the nation from memory and not using a script is amateurish. He should know better, I'm pretty sure he does know better.

You can danged well bet he will have the exact oath in hand next time in 4 years.

Of course it is real easy for both to screw-up because despite all the practices, both men were 'too busy' to actually practice / discuss how many words Roberts would say and when Obama would repeat them.

Especially since almost no president has sworn the oath exactly as it is written in the Constitution. Everyone adds their name, which is a deviation from the Constitution and could be considered to be an invalid oath on that account.

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Now to be honest I saw the Biden joke, it appeared to me at least to be an off the cuff and not planned moment. Obama quickly let Biden know to let it go, put it behind you and move on. To be honest we will probably see worse from the late night shows, SNL and Mad TV.

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 35):

It was a small embarrassment yesterday, but the President and Chief Justice handled as both gentlemen, and as statesmen. It's just unfortunate that Vice President Biden... and some users here in this thread... can't be as high minded.

I agree with you. I think Obama and Roberts are honorable statesmen and gentlemen. I do not think Biden is...

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 43):
You can danged well bet he will have the exact oath in hand next time in 4 years.

Maybe he could get the next President to write it on his or her hand in 4 years time. lol
AA - LGA

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 45):
Maybe he could get the next President to write it on his or her hand in 4 years time. lol
Or maybe Roberts can write it down and deliver like it is supposed to be, not from memory. It would be nice if had prepared s much as Obama did, considering the seriousness of the matter.

[Edited 2009-01-22 11:09:36]

WellHung

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:11 pm

gaft

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 9):
gafts

So is it ok to make fun of someone when it is not a "mix up or words" (sic), but rather plain ignorance?

JFKMan
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 47):
So is it ok to make fun of someone when it is not a "mix up or words" (sic), but rather plain ignorance?

I dont believe its ok to make fun of anyone. But its different when the VP makes fun of the CJ.
AA - LGA

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
could have done much better

-
Possibly yes, possibly no. Joe Biden clearly helped Obama to become president. He as everybody may have his faults and may at time make mistakes, while a silly joke is rather a minor mistake.

not have made a joke out of the Chief Justice of the United States of America.

-
true in so far as it is not exactly "gentleman-like" to do so. I at the other hand in some posts including your one a kind of shock about a the Chief Justice becoming "victim" of a practical joke. What in fact is so terrible about making a joke about the Chief Justice ?