flanker

Released Detainee Now Yemen Al-Qaida Commander

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...eral/20090123/Guantanamo.Al.Qaida/

WASHINGTON — A released Guantanamo Bay terror detainee has reemerged as an al-Qaida commander in Yemen.

A U.S. counterterror official confirmed Friday that Said Ali al-Shihri, who was jailed in Guantanamo for six years after his capture in Pakistan, has resurfaced as a leader of a Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

ME AVN FAN

RE: Released Detainee Now Yemen Al-Qaida Commander

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Quoting Flanker (Thread starter):
leader of a Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

-
"having served at Guantanamo Bay" as a vital qualification ! A new aspect !
-
Just imagine a job requirement listing :
-
> knowledge of English and French
> additional languages appreciated
> experience in leading people
> having served in Guantanamo Bay appreciated
> knowhow in working with the Internet
-

baroque

RE: Released Detainee Now Yemen Al-Qaida Commander

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:37 am

Quoting Flanker (Thread starter):
WASHINGTON --- A released Guantanamo Bay terror detainee has reemerged as an al-Qaida commander in Yemen.

A U.S. counterterror official confirmed Friday that Said Ali al-Shihri, who was jailed in Guantanamo for six years after his capture in Pakistan, has resurfaced as a leader of a Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 3):
beside the point that he knows has "international experience" !

Or does he. There is no Said Ali al-Shihri on the DoD list of Gitmo detainees (Op cit).

I can manage an al-Shihri Yussef Mohammed Mubarak from SA. Surely if the DoD wants to be consistent they should cross reference various names.

Then again Wiki tells us:
After another former Saudi captive, Sa'id Ali Jabir Al Khathim Al Shihri, appeared in internet videos that threatened further attacks, an aticle in the Saudi Gazette reported that he had a brother-in-law, named "Yusuf al-Shihri", who was also a former Guantanamo captive.[14] While the allegations that stated Yussef Mohammed Mubarak Al Shihri was captured with his cousin, in Kunduz, in northern Afghanistan, Sa'id Ali Jabir Al Khathim Al Shihri seems to have been captured from a hospital bed in Quetta, Pakistan, near Afghanistan's southern border.

Now Sa'id Ali Jabir Al Khathim Al Shihri does appear on the Gitmo list. I wonder if they know who is which.

The combatant status review refers to
Yussef Mohammed Mubarak al Shihri
http://projects.nytimes.com/guantana...-yussef-mohammed-mubarak-al-shihri

Nary a mention of Sa'id or Said on the status review.

Lucky the jihadi website posted a picture of er, well, someone! And heck, anyone could confuse Kunduz with Quetta.