dxing

High School Regrets Beating Opponent 100-0

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 pm

I'd have to say that any apology now it a little late. Especially if the winning team was cheering and egging their team on to score more after taking such a commanding lead at the half. This has poor sportsmanship written all over it.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

"The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime."

But kudos to the spirt that at least one member of the losing team showed....

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

There are a few pro players in different sports that could learn a thing or two from that young lady!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Daleaholic

RE: High School Regrets Beating Opponent 100-0

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:20 am

Apologise for being better than the other team? Absolutely pathetic! And why should a team forfeit a win just because some people think they should have gone easier? I'm saying well done to the winning team and credit where its due to the losers for not giving up.

Next they'll be offering to score points for the other team to keep things fair  Yeah sure
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

oly720man

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

Should such mismatched teams have been playing each other in the first place?

And what is

a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition

?

What were the Covenant players meant to do? Having got to 59-0, say, just keep passing the ball and not try to score... which would probably be even more insulting.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

lhr380

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

Not really into Basketball (Not at all) But how can a team that can score that many points, play a team that can loose so badly?

Is there a league or something?
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

vikkyvik

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 1):
Apologise for being better than the other team? Absolutely pathetic! And why should a team forfeit a win just because some people think they should have gone easier? I'm saying well done to the winning team and credit where its due to the losers for not giving up.

Next they'll be offering to score points for the other team to keep things fair

It has nothing to do with being better than the other team.

They had proven quite effectively that they were considerably better than the other team by halftime (when the score was 59-0).

There's enough un-sportsmanlink conduct in professional and college sports. No need for it in high school.

EDIT to add:

I don't think they should forfeit the win (although, if they want to, and as long as no one's forcing them, then I guess whatever makes them happy).

[Edited 2009-01-23 16:37:49]

[Edited 2009-01-23 17:05:22]
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dxing

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 3):
Not really into Basketball (Not at all) But how can a team that can score that many points, play a team that can loose so badly?

I'd have to look to see but since these are smaller, independent schools I would say that they probably have a league of their own that is outside of the larger leagues that would include the public school systems. Of course the school is in Dallas so they are just following the example of the Dallas Cowboys!  duck   flamed 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Tugger

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:39 am

Fear not, sportsmanship is alive and well! While there are stories like the Dallas Covenant one, you also have one like the softball one from April last year:

Quote:
... Sara Tucholsky, a diminutive senior for Western Oregon, hit what looked like a three-run homer against Central Washington. .... When she turned back to touch the bag, her right knee buckled, and she went down, crying and crawling back to first base.

.....The umpires ruled that if Tucholsky could not make it around the bases, two runs would score but she would be credited with only a single.

Then Mallory Holtman, the powerful first baseman for Central Washington, said words that brought a chill to everybody who heard them:

“Excuse me, would it be O.K. if we carried her around and she touched each bag?”

The umpires huddled and said it would be legal, so Holtman and the Central Washington shortstop, Liz Wallace, lifted Tucholsky, hands crossed under her, and carried her .... home to a standing ovation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/sp...=5af0d6acc89025b2&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Powerful stuff. True sportsmanship!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

us330

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:06 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 5):
Of course the school is in Dallas so they are just following the example of the Dallas Cowboys!

Dammit! I was going to say, Well it hasn't been that long since another team full of retards from Dallas got taken to the woodshed (see Philly 44--Cowboys 6).

KPDX

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:43 am

WOW.  Wow!

That must of been some amazing defense. How you go a whole basketball game without scoring a single point is beyond me.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

B747forever

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:50 am

Wow. 100 to zero. That is amazing.

I wonder who scored most in the winning team?

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 2):
just keep passing the ball and not try to score... which would probably be even more insulting.

Agree, would have been worse
Work Hard, Fly Right

greaser

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 8):
That must of been some amazing defense. How you go a whole basketball game without scoring a single point is beyond me.

AFAIK abc news reported all the girls on the academy team have learning disorders.
Now you're really flying

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 6):
Fear not, sportsmanship is alive and well!

I would agree with that. One of my friends up this up on facebook the other day, otherwise I wouldn't have found it. Must say, its probably one of the most touching things I've ever read about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3789373

I'm not going to ruin it for you all, but I'll give you this. The coach of the one of the schools arranged for his fans to cheer for the other team at the game.

Truly, a touching story.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

andz

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:22 am

I agree, that is ridiculous.

Should such mismatched teams have been playing each other in the first place?

New Zealand beat Japan 145 - 17 in the 1995 Rugby World Cup. I didn't hear any bleating (sorry for the pun) for apologies then.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 4):
There's enough un-sportsmanlink conduct in professional and college sports. No need for it in high school

Yeah, let's ease up and give the opposition a chance. Great attitude to take into the real world.  sarcastic 
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Superfly

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 am

Quoting Us330 (Reply 7):
Dammit! I was going to say, Well it hasn't been that long since another team full of retards from Dallas got taken to the woodshed (see Philly 44--Cowboys 6).

splat 

I am not much in to sports but I am always happy to see the Dallass Cowboys get their arse whipped!  yes 

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 3):

From what I remember when I was in high school, private schools emphasize academics or religion and often times have a sports team just for the sake of having a team and giving the students something to do.
Therefore you often have lopsided scores with their games regardless of the sport.
Without even looking in to each school's girls basketball records, I am willing to bet that the team that scored 100 points isn't even that good. Just managed to get 50 shots within 1.5 hours of playing time over the other team.
Had this winning team played a public school from south Dallas, it could have very well been the total opposite result.

On a side note, who cares about girl's/women's basketball?
Bring back the Concorde

fraspotter

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
From what I remember when I was in high school, private schools emphasize academics or religion and often times have a sports team just for the sake of having a team and giving the students something to do.

checkmark  The story on this that I was reading said that the girls team had 8 players on it while the entire school itself only had 20 total students... Not a big pool to be looking for talent in...

And what is

a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition

?

You approach your opponent with respect and realize that it is only a game. Christ wouldn't have done disrespectful to any other man, thus what this team is trying to emulate... Have you seen the acronym WWJD?
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:16 am

I think the real joke in this story is this:

Quote:
Girls Basketball

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

jush

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:19 am

How can you not even score one basket in basketball. They must have been pretty bad.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

allstarflyer

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:57 am

Having got to 59-0, say, just keep passing the ball and not try to score... which would probably be even more insulting.

Maybe if they practiced their set offense and not full-court pressed, the score would have been different.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 15):

Quote:
Girls Basketball

Yeah, OK, Jim Rome. While I don't much ever watch girls basketball, I've seen them play with usually more heart (and occassionally better skills) than some of their HS counterparts. Having said that, I'd still watch guys basketball 10 times out of 10.
Living the American Dream

Superfly

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 17):
Yeah, OK, Jim Rome. While I don't much ever watch girls basketball, I've seen them play with usually more heart (and occassionally better skills) than some of their HS counterparts. Having said that, I'd still watch guys basketball 10 times out of 10.

Male or female, basketball sucks!

It's all about women's beach volleyball.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

Dreadnought

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
I'd have to say that any apology now it a little late. Especially if the winning team was cheering and egging their team on to score more after taking such a commanding lead at the half. This has poor sportsmanship written all over it.

I should think that the losing team should apologize to the other school for having wasted their time, and promise to be better prepared next time.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 pm

The main problem here is how we allow schools of considerable different sizes and resources to play against each other. That both of the schools here were connected to religious organizations is more distrubing in that the Convenant school didn't back off when they should have. In some areas of youth sports, particulary baseball, there are 'mercy' rules, capping the score differences and ending games when runaway games occur. Perhaps the state high school athletics regulating organizations nationwide (and not just in Texas) need to come up with rules to deal with the 'runaway' situations.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Oh come on, it was 100-0. I think at half time they proved they were better. When you have coaches and other players cheering to get to 100 points, that is a little over the top.

Plus, it was a school that had about 20 girls, and they help students with learning disabilities.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

dc9northwest

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I notice the Americans are offended by what happened while the rest of the posters don't understand why this made the news... Different ideologies... very different.

nighthawk

Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Both teams should just sue each other. It did happen in America afterall... duck 

us330

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 23):
Both teams should just sue each other. It did happen in America afterall

Don't give them any ideas. I already have a feeling that some ambulance chaser type has already formulated some kind of "emotional distress/traumatic loss"

Danfearn77

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Next they'll be offering to score points for the other team to keep things fair

Im really surprised actually. When i studied PE, We learnt that Americans are very Eliteist.Not a bad thing, but you guys love to win and win big. In comparison, us Brits will do just enough to ensure victory. But for this arguement we have swapped sides. They want to forfeit because they won by a huge margin, and yet i agree with Daleaholic. Congratulations to the winning team.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

Continental

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm just surprised the opposing team didn't even score once! I mean, if all they did was lob the ball from half court every time they had possession, they'd be bound to score at least once!

dxing

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:11 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 15):

Quote:
Girls Basketball

Tsch tsch...the good folks in Tennessee would not take kindly to you saying that now would they.

dragon-wings

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 am

The coach of the winning team was fired today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9134384?MSNHPHMA

The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes' e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout "shameful."
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

andz

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 28):
The coach of the winning team was fired today.

I have never heard of such bullshit. I am behind the coach 100%.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Pyrex

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 am

Reminds me of my legendary middle-school basketball team (as well as that of other sports), We sucked and we knew we did so we just tried to have some fun. Lots of people would come out to our games because they knew we would find a way to horse around and put up a show.

We once lost a game 103-7 or something like that and got one of the people in our team kicked out and suspended for a couple of games but we had a blast.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

OHLHD

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:12 am

I have played myself for almost 14 years and as youth player my coach always forced us to win as high as possible. No mercy was his attitude. There were even games when he said that we needed to win by at least 60 points otherwise we would run the difference in sprints.

Now that I am a coach myself I never use such tactics. When I ever I believe that we are ahead enough I give the " not so good players" a chance to proof themselves and get some playing time.

Personally I would not let my team beat them 100:0 and would help them to score at least some points.

Daleaholic

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 28):

Hopefully this guy sues the school for unfair dismissal. I'm not one to support lawsuits but in this case the guy has done nothing wrong. (From what we know)

Pathetic state of affairs!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

JFKMan

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
There are a few pro players in different sports that could learn a thing or two from that young lady!

You got that right alright!
AA - LGA

fatmirjusufi

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm

I have read this funny article yesterday in newspaper.
I don't really can imagine. Even not a single score!  worried 
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.