Topic Author

A Video Tribute To The SS France/ Norway

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I wanted to post a video tribute of this Flagship, that has a place in my heart, but I never got to see in person, and sadly never will .  Sad

RE: A Video Tribute To The SS France/ Norway

Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 am

Great vid, thanks.

What a sleek ship it was...

Also the longest (though not largest) passenger ship ever until the QM2 came along in 2004.

It is quite ironic that one of the decisions that led the the eventual early demise of this ship was that of the government to subsidize the Concorde program instead of financing the French Line which operated it...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 pm

For you serious collectors out there, the top piece of the bow will be auctioned off in Paris one of these days.
Looks like it would make a nice balcony -but it weighs 4 tonnes!

[Edited 2009-01-25 04:33:04]
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):

Thank you so much for posting this video. "Le France" (as we called her) was a part of my younger years. She was awesome. I got to see her in Le Havre heaps of times.

I love the song in the video. It is old fashioned and it suits her so well. She was definitely stylish, long and lean like the QE2. I love them both dearly!

I happened to have an uncle who was a customs officer in Le Havre. We went on board when she was in the harbour. I had the chance to go on board many ships at the time. One liner that really struck me during my childhood was SS "Liberté", also from Compagnie Générale Transatlantique and then another liner named "Louis Lumière". Both were pre-France ocean liners. I will never forget them.

I got to sail on "Le France" before she ever became the Norway.

So many memories...  

[Edited 2009-01-25 05:07:08]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde