phlstudent

Question For SJC Locals

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:22 pm

I am planning a quick trip to SJC, I am staying at the doubletree on Gateway Place. From googlemaps it looks like I can walk straight from the airport down airport parkway/W Brokaw road to gateway place. Is this true? It would make my life easier if I could just walk to the hotel than worry about having to call for a shuttle or taxi. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Goldenshield

RE: Question For SJC Locals

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Basically, yes, you can, but it's easier to take a cab. It's a VERY nice hotel, too. Be warned, though, as it's also a convention center, and being near SFO, you'll find a lot of crazy conventions there.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

A330300

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:48 am

With the construction going on at SJC, it may be difficult to walk over there. The shuttles run pretty frequently though. Check out www.sjc.org to check out status of the construction.

phlstudent

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 am

Thanks for the insight, it looks like the #10 VTA flyer bus is the easiest/cheapest option.

avt007

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:57 am

I was looking at rental cars at SFO for Feb23-25th. I'll be in SJC on business at that time. The rental rates for cars was loony. I'm talking $95 a day for a compact car. What's up? Some massive convention?

jcs17

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Just do what everyone else does. Call your hotel shuttle while taxiing to the gate and you'll have no more than a 10 minute wait. I can't ever think of an airport I actually walked to my destination from unless it was an on-site hotel. Why would you even want to walk to a hotel from a mid-sized airport?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

avt007

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Is there an area to stay in where you can walk to restaurants, or any touristy downtown spots?
I'm looking for a hotel, but it's hard to tell what's where from Expedia.
Thanks

phlstudent

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 5):
Just do what everyone else does. Call your hotel shuttle while taxiing to the gate and you'll have no more than a 10 minute wait. I can't ever think of an airport I actually walked to my destination from unless it was an on-site hotel. Why would you even want to walk to a hotel from a mid-sized airport?

I don't know, I just sat on a plane for 6+ hours, I want to stretch my legs and get a little exercise. I walked from SNA to the Hilton across the street and back the next day to get back to the airport. At most airports its impossible to do, so its interesting to do at the places you can.

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 4):
was looking at rental cars at SFO for Feb23-25th.

I'm just missing you, I'm going FEB 21 leaving the next morning.