captaink

The Good Things Obama Is Doing.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:54 pm

On here alot of focus is being given to controversial matters, Gitmo, the war, etc where there is a clear divide between Republicans and Democrats. Obama is now the president whether we like it or not, so how about give attention to some of the good things he is doing, try in some way to help make this country work for the next four years, because it clearly hasn't been working well the last 8.

I liked this one.

Quote:
“It is fitting that with the very first bill I sign — the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act — we are upholding one of this nation’s first principles: that we are all created equal and each deserve a chance to pursue our own version of happiness,” the president said.

He said was signing the bill not only in honor of Ms. Ledbetter — who stood behind him, shaking her head and clasping her hands in seeming disbelief — but in honor of his own grandmother, “who worked in a bank all her life, and even after she hit that glass ceiling, kept getting up again” and for his daughters, “because I want them to grow up in a nation that values their contributions, where there are no limits to their dreams.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/us/politics/30ledbetter-web.html?hp
There is something special about planes....

AGM100

RE: The Good Things Obama Is Doing.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I agree with this bill , I have hired and managed many employees over the past 20 years. I cant imagine someone would consider paying a women less for the same work. Its ridiculous , and it should be stopped .

I think it has the potential to be a lawyers playground , but if employers paid a equally qualified women less than a man .. they deserve to get sued.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

sv7887

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi All,
There is an interesting study on the Pay Gap:

http://www.aauw.org/research/upload/behindPayGap.pdf

The problem if I recall from reading this article is that the gap affects married woman moreso than unmarried single women. If I recall unmarried singe women make about 96.4 cents on the dollar compared to men and amongst part time workers, women actually make more than men.

The flaw in the article I posted is that they are misusing regression theory. At the end of the their introduction, they say the Unexplained Sum of Squares, that is the variation the regression cannot explain is 100% discrimination. That is not a logical explanation.

They also concluded correcting for all known factors the gap is around 5% for fresh women graduates that accelerates to 12% after a few years. It was written by two women economists if I recall.

captaink

Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 1):
I think it has the potential to be a lawyers playground , but if employers paid a equally qualified women less than a man .. they deserve to get sued.

I totally agree. We are after all in 2009, kinda scary to think that this stuff still goes on.
There is something special about planes....

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:32 am

I'm glad Obama is keen to see accountability from Pak in its war on terror support.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

GuitrThree

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Quoting Captaink (Thread starter):
I liked this one.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 1):
I agree with this bill

Well, you might like, or even agree with this bill, but apparently, President Obama really doesn't practice what he preaches..

Here (and it's from CBS, so don't give me any crap about it being a right wing hack source..)

Based on these calculations, Obama's 28 male staffers divided among themselves total payroll expenditures of $1,523,120. Thus, Obama's average male employee earned $54,397.

Obama's 30 female employees split $1,354,580 among themselves, or $45,152, on average.

Rest of article here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/12/opinion/main4443922.shtml
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

dtwclipper

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 5):
Here (and it's from CBS, so don't give me any crap about it being a right wing hack source..)

Nice try, but not really

(National Review Online) This column was written by Deroy Murdock.

Deroy Murdock is an American conservative syndicated columnist for the Scripps Howard News Service and a contributing editor with National Review Online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deroy_Murdock

Dated : Sept. 12th, 2008....

Key words in the title: Home » Opinion

Obama Should Hold Tongue On Equal Pay
National Review Online: Democrat Pays His Female Staffers Less Equitably Than McCain

As one of the posters said: Equal pay for equal work is not equal to average pay. You should know better.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business