jamincan

Airbii?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 pm

I've noticed a lot of people refer to multiple Airbus aircraft as Airbii on here. I find this silly for several reasons: first, even if we were speaking Latin, which, considering this is an English language forum, I think it is reasonable to assume that we are not, nouns ending in 'us' would simply end in a single 'i' to indicate the plural, not 'ii'. It is not Airbius, it's Airbus. Secondly, bus, and therefore (I assume) Airbus, finds its root in the latin word 'omnibus', which is already plural, so it seems just a little bit odd to be using a latin form of the plural on it when it wouldn't have even be used in the original language.

In any case, except in those situations where the aberrant plural form has actually be adopted into the language (ie. data), why don't we all just stick with the english plural form for english words instead of making ourselves look foolish by adding an i (or worse, two i's) at the end of every word ending in 'us'.

moo

RE: Airbii?

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Or.... we could jsut not be anal about a very small thing and let people get on with their lives? If people want to use Airbii, thats their choice.

nighthawk

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
Or.... we could jsut not be anal about a very small thing and let people get on with their lives? If people want to use Airbii, thats their choice.

I always assumed it was just a piss take to wind up those who took grammar too seriously. It seems to be working.

baroque

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
anal about a very small thing and let people get on with their lives? If people want to use Airbii, thats their choice.

Or it could be that some of us are old enough to have done Latin and know it is incorrect (or an incorrect singular), so that is why we use it????

moo

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:33 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 3):
Or it could be that some of us are old enough to have done Latin and know it is incorrect (or an incorrect singular), so that is why we use it????

Language changes through usage. Live with it.

Braybuddy

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. It's just some light-hearted name-playing, similar to the way "yoof" seems to automatically replace "youth" in UK journalistic circles, when talking about TV programmes.

baroque

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 4):

Not Latin, it is DEAD. All it does is become more permineralized.

moo

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 6):

If we are using it in every day language, and we are, then its hardly dead now is it  Wink

I've got an exercise for you - pop back 150 years in time and speak to an english speaking person. I guarantee you that you won't have an easy time in that conversation  Smile

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Thread starter):
In any case, except in those situations where the aberrant plural form has actually be adopted into the language (ie. data), why don't we all just stick with the english plural form for english words instead of making ourselves look foolish by adding an i (or worse, two i's) at the end of every word ending in 'us'.

If you really want to avoid looking foolish, I suggest you not post topics complaining about folks having a bit of fun by using "Airbii".

But hey, that's just my opinion.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

baroque

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 7):
I've got an exercise for you - pop back 150 years in time and speak to an english speaking person.

Is that not the same as being brought up in 1940s Tyneside?

jamincan

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit of a syntax freak. I just find Airbii to be particularly ridiculous - it's one thing to indiscriminately apply Latin plurals inappropriately, but Airbii seems to bring it to a new level.

In any case, I came across this post on pseudo-latin plurals, which is quite interesting. Apparently I'm guilty too: who new biceps was singular?

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm

nouns ending in 'us' would simply end in a single 'i' to indicate the plural, not 'ii'. It is not Airbius, it's Airbus

I've mentioned this before and the funny thing is that some of those who claim it's a deliberate "joke" are often shown to take it much more seriously than the likes of you and me, who are simply curious where the extra "i" comes from. Pursue it and you'll see.  Smile

I mean, if it's really just for fun, why not "Airbiii" or "Airbiiii"? Anyone who knows how it works already recognises "Airbi" as a light-hearted "faux pas". I'm sure there are many who confuse "there", "their" and "they're" who claim they only do it for fun.  duck 

I also think people should recognise the difference between demanding that it stop and simply asking why.  biggrin 

baroque

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 10):
In any case, I came across this post on pseudo-latin plurals, which is quite interesting.

I hope you don't ever find out about cases as well.  Big grin

TheSonntag

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Not Latin, it is DEAD

No it is not. It is our shared cultural heritage. Remembering this helps to overcome conflicts and to focus on things which unite us.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 11):
I mean, if it's really just for fun, why not "Airbiii" or "Airbiiii"? Anyone who knows how it works already recognises "Airbi" as a light-hearted "faux pas". I'm sure there are many who confuse "there", "their" and "they're" who claim they only do it for fun.

That's it. From now on I am referring to them as "Airbiiiii" (5 i's.....no more, no less)  Smile

And I suppose more than one road bus shall now be "biiiii".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 4):

rotfl   bigthumbsup 

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 13):
No it is not. It is our shared cultural heritage.

And, as heritage so often is, it is in fact deadBig grin

By the way: There are various irregular latin nouns which end in -us (apart from omnibus which isn't a native noun) but which still don't have an "i" plural.

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 14):
That's it. From now on I am referring to them as "Airbiiiii" (5 i's.....no more, no less)

Iiiiiiiiii have no problem with that.  biggrin 

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
By the way: There are various irregular latin nouns which end in -us (apart from omnibus which isn't a native noun) but which still don't have an "i" plural.

4th declension nouns: -us, -us, e.g. manus, manus.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 13):
No it is not. It is our shared cultural heritage.

And, as heritage so often is, it is in fact dead! Big grin

The same can be said of "shared" these days.  Smile

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:14 pm

I've noticed a lot of people refer to multiple Airbus aircraft as Airbii on here.

It seems that we had a topic on this a while ago. I think the thread had something to do with the new A380s. When I first saw "Airbii" on that thread, I hald a good laugh and I liked it.
Grammatically, latin or not it is not correct.

The plural in Latin should be "Airbi" I think. Any latin scholars around?

I like "Airbii" only because I think it's funny.  Big grin
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):

I like "Airbii" only because I think it's funny.

I'd find "Airbuses" correct and "Airbiii+" funny. To me, "Airbii" looks like someone trying to be clever and falling on their arse.  Smile

mariner

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 2):
I always assumed it was just a piss take to wind up those who took grammar too seriously. It seems to be working.

Pretty much. Those of us who enjoy playing games with language having some fun.  Smile

Not Latin, it is DEAD.

It may be dead to you, it isn't to me. I bless my cotton socks that I had some Latin when I started to learn German.

Otherwise, I might have been like Richard Porson, in the 18th century, who said "life is too short to learn German."  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 19):
Those of us who enjoy playing games with language having some fun

I must remember that next time I try to be clever and make a mess of it.  Smile

I might have been like Richard Porson, in the 18th century, who said "life is too short to learn German."

Lucky he never tried Polish.  eyepopping 

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 16):
The same can be said of "shared" these days.

Yea, by now we know that you've got a fundamental problem with that concept...  mischievous 

It may be dead to you, it isn't to me.

Not all of us have still seen it alive...!

I bless my cotton socks that I had some Latin when I started to learn German.

I more or less curse the day when I was pressed into latin classes. It doesn't really hurt knowing it, but being forced to learn it was a real drag for me.  yuck 

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):

Yea, by now we know that you've got a fundamental problem with that concept...

Me?  confused  Example?

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 22):
Me?    Example?

Any thread with the words "common" and "Britain" in it, perhaps?

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 23):

Any thread with the words "common" and "Britain" in it, perhaps?

Ah! I think you're confusing "shared" with "doormat".  Smile

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 24):
Ah! I think you're confusing "shared" with "doormat".

I don't find "doormat" anywhere near, just "shared". Maybe the confusion is somewhere else?  cool 

David L

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 25):
I don't find "doormat" anywhere near, just "shared". Maybe the confusion is somewhere else?

The EU gets a damned good share of the UK's contributions so I guess I just don't see your point... unless you're referring to the UK not agreeing to absolutely every proposal?

We have very different views of "sharing".  confused 

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 26):
The EU gets a damned good share of the UK's contributions so I guess I just don't see your point... unless you're referring to the UK not agreeing to absolutely every proposal?

There it is again... I rest my case.  cool 

But I think we can postpone this to the next regularly scheduled EU/Britain thread, don't you think?

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Back to Airbii...  airplane   airplane   airplane 

What would be the grammatically correct plural for Airbus in Latin?  Confused

mariner

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 28):
What would be the grammatically correct plural for Airbus in Latin?  

There isn't one - Airbus is not a Latin word.

The nearest we have is that nouns ending in "us" take the plural "i". The plural of hippopotamus is hipppopotami.

As in: "a regular army of hippopotami."

So it would be Airbi.

But it is just nonsense, a linguistic game.

mariner
aeternum nauta

nighthawk

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Surely this whole conversation is irrelevent anyway, Airbus is just a company, and cannot exist in the plural - unless Airbus was split in half and both sides of the company chose the same name 'Airbus'. Otherwise you cannot get more than one.

The 'object' is the aircraft type itself - so 10 Airbus A330's or 10 Airbus Aircraft.

10 Airbus's / Airbii / Airbus / Airbi is incorrect when talking about orders, unless the airline bought the entire company 10 times over!

Cadet57

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 pm

But god help you if you dare utter Whalejet...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

slider

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 17):
The plural in Latin should be "Airbi" I think. Any latin scholars around?

Quoting Mariner (Reply 29):

It would be Airbi if Airbus were a Latin word.

But like the old Road Runner cartoons that would throw some gibberish Latinized descriptor of the Road Runner (Velocitus Ridiculous) and Wile E Coyote (Hungeri Maximus), I suppose it's just fun with lexicon.

Nice to know others have an appreciation for Latin too!

mariner

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 32):
But like the old Road Runner cartoons that would throw some gibberish Latinized descriptor of the Road Runner (Velocitus Ridiculous) and Wile E Coyote (Hungeri Maximus), I suppose it's just fun with lexicon.

And I suppose "Winnie ille Pu" doesn't count, because that was an accurate (fairly) translation into Latin.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

slz396

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:27 pm

2 things I'd like to point out:

1- Latin is not a dead language, it is the official language of an independent country today: i.e. the Vatican and as such it has a bunch of linguists who 'invent' new words, words which are added to the dictionary every year: believe it or not but there is a real latin word for a laptop or an ATM for instance!

2- Not all words ending on '-us' have a plural on '-i' in latin.
Some very well known words have '-us' as plural (e.g. corpus, domus or manus)

Klaus

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 34):
Latin is not a dead language, it is the official language of an independent country today: i.e. the Vatican

Case in point!  mischievous 

mariner

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Some very well known words have '-us' as plural (e.g. corpus, domus or manus)

Oh. I thought the plural of "corpus" is "corpora."

mariner
aeternum nauta

Phoenix9

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:04 am

Latinized descriptor of the Road Runner

Or something like Silica Vaginitous  irked 
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

jamincan

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:44 am

The nearest we have is that nouns ending in "us" take the plural "i". The plural of hippopotamus is hipppopotami.

As in: "a regular army of hippopotami."

But not always; for example, several octopuses are not octopi, but octopodes, more than one genus is genera, and so on and so forth.

skysurfer

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:16 am

I hope Latin isn't dead, otherwise i'd have a really hard time at work when i'm dealing with plants!!! Almost every plant that isn't an annual has a Latin name as to avoid a hell of alot of confusion, because many people know the same plant under a different common name. Latin is the only way to specifically nail down the plant exactly! My personal fave is Sanserveiria, ie Snake Plant aka 'Mother in Laws tongue'! lol (The plant has extremely sharp tips to it)  Wink

Thank god for Latin!

Oh, and just for an odd laugh.....why the hell would anyone name a plant Lobelia SYPHILITICA!!!!!!! hehe

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

Klaus

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:25 am

Quoting Skysurfer (Reply 39):
Oh, and just for an odd laugh.....why the hell would anyone name a plant Lobelia SYPHILITICA!!!!!!! hehe

My guess would be that it was once considered a remedy...?

Poor plant, though!

baroque

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:18 am

1- Latin is not a dead language, it is the official language of an independent country today: i.e. the Vatican and as such it has a bunch of linguists who 'invent' new words, words which are added to the dictionary every year: believe it or not but there is a real latin word for a laptop or an ATM for instance!

I sit corrected. However inventing new words to fit in the galaxy of Latin grammar, only gets it to the emergency room and not quite on life support??

Not Latin, it is DEAD.

It may be dead to you, it isn't to me. I bless my cotton socks that I had some Latin when I started to learn German.
Otherwise, I might have been like Richard Porson, in the 18th century, who said "life is too short to learn German."

May I mention that a dead pig can be quite useful to those who eat pork. Re learning German, of course, although in my case I found it useful in working out what this stuff called grammar was in English. While the Latin master was greatly hated, what he had taught us was the only logical framework in which to fit the nonsense about English. Wonder if Germans have the same when they try German grammar? Klaus?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
I more or less curse the day when I was pressed into latin classes. It doesn't really hurt knowing it, but being forced to learn it was a real drag for me.

It was painful. Our Latin master, Mr Owen, was known as slinker Owen due to his habit of creeping up from the back of the class so he knew what you were or were not doing before you were aware of your impending doom. There was an atmosphere to Latin quite unlike any other class.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 28):
What would be the grammatically correct plural for Airbus in Latin?

Indeed it is not. But if it were you would have to decide a couple of things that have been singularly missing. Would it be masculine, feminine or neuter? To which declension would this new word belong? Likely third due to the relationship to its relationship to omnis.

Now Airbus itself is most closely related to the dative plural. On that basis Airbus would be the plural. But only if you were for example talking about a number of planes in the dative or ablative. If the planes were the subject of the sentence, they would perhaps better take the form Aires. As in Aires sales dominated at the Paris airshow.

Unfortunately, the whole "ibus" bit in omnibus is part of a case ending.

Which is about where this exploration should end except to note that planes belonging to an airline should perhaps be QF Airium.

Or then again, there is probably an argument for other declensions in which case, all will change.

WunalaYann

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 am

And because a thread about public transport would not be a thread about public transport without a damn' Frog claiming to know all,

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus#Origine_du_nom

Yes. We own it. Now where are my royalties?  rotfl 

baroque

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:00 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 42):
Yes. We own it. Now where are my royalties?

OK you own it and you know where to come to get your Royalties, but I presumes it still has to be dative or ablative? Or it ain't an Omnibus.

andz

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:07 am

Nice to know others have an appreciation for Latin too!

I definitely do  Smile

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kaitak

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:31 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 30):
Surely this whole conversation is irrelevent anyway, Airbus is just a company, and cannot exist in the plural - unless Airbus was split in half and both sides of the company chose the same name 'Airbus'. Otherwise you cannot get more than one.

The 'object' is the aircraft type itself - so 10 Airbus A330's or 10 Airbus Aircraft.

10 Airbus's / Airbii / Airbus / Airbi is incorrect when talking about orders, unless the airline bought the entire company 10 times over!

Any company's product can exist in the plural (they wouldn't be in business if it didn't!) ... we talk about Boeings, Toshibas, Peugeots etc.

Using the word "Airbii" always seemed very pretentious to me. Airbus is not a latin word; it is a company name, so the correct plural is Airbuses.

andz

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:27 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 45):
it is a company name, so the correct plural is Airbuses.

It is a company name so plural does not apply. If the need arises to imply a plural, add one word for correct English. "I have flown on several Airbus aircraft" not "I have flown on several Airbuses"

KevinL1011

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 46):
It is a company name so plural does not apply. If the need arises to imply a plural, add one word for correct English. "I have flown on several Airbus aircraft" not "I have flown on several Airbuses"

I'll agree with that.
Rail fans have a similar argument when it comes to the plural of "Caboose". Some say the plural is "Cabeese" and not "Caboose's".

The argument can also be applied to the plural of "bimbo".
For example,
"Superfly has brought home several bimbo's ". Or:
"Superfly has brought home several bimbi ".

As Andz points out, once you attach a name to these women, they become "bimbo's". However, if Superfly can not remember their name the next morning, they are then referred to as "bimbi".
 biggrin 
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

andz

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 47):

Good post apart from the apostrophe abuse  Wink

MadameConcorde

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:14 pm

I ike Airbii. I think it's funny. I had a good laugh the first time I saw it on the other thread.
The original poster who had found it had a fantastic sense of humour.

I will keep Airbii whenever I please only because I think it's good fun. Also I think it fits the A380s really well.

I am proud to be a Singapore Airlines Airbii 380 triple inaugural flyer, Sydney, Nagoya-Narita and London Heathrow. I will become quadruple SQ 380 inaugural flyer on board the first Singapore Airlines Airbus 380 inaugural flight to Paris CDG.

Singapore Airlines Airbii... not forgetting the upcoming new SQ A330...
You Are a Great Way to Fly!!  airplane   cheerful   airplane