OA412
Crew
Topic Author

The Day The Music Died: 50 Years Ago

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm

**I did a search and didn't find anything so sorry if this has already been posted**

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper). While all left their mark on the early days of rock 'n roll, I sometimes wonder what would have been had they not been killed on that night.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

NAV20

RE: The Day The Music Died: 50 Years Ago

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Nice thought, OA412. Buddy Holly's death was so long ago when Don McLean's song became a hit that it took me a while to 'make the connection.' But I've always remembered the talent of both of them.

There's no doubt that Buddy Holly's death was the end of an era. But maybe McLean's song was the start of another?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uEjifqTaI
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Cadet985

RE: The Day The Music Died: 50 Years Ago

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Ritchie Valens....who knows what he could have become? He had 3 big hits at the age of 17. Buddy Holly....already a big star, but hw would have become a HUGE superstar of rock, and I could see him moving over a little towards country. J.P. "THe Big Bopper" Richardson only had one song, so who knows what he could have done?

As I write this, I am listening to La Bamba and American Pie.

Marc