bwest

You Like Trains, But How About The Stations?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Newsweek has compiled a list of the worlds best stations.... here's the top 10:

Best Stations
1. St. Pancras, London
2. Grand Central Terminal, New York
3. Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mumbai
4. Central Station, Antwerp, Belgium
5. Dare des Bénédictins, Limoges, France
6. Lahore Railway Station, Pakistan
7. Central Railway Station, Maputo, Mozambique
8. Hua Hin Railway Station, Thailand
9. Atocha Station, Madrid

I've visited 3 of them already, Grand Central NY, St Pancras & Antwerp Central Station. NY's Grand Central, with its iconic clock is ofcourse legendary.

Both St Pancras & Antwerp have been recently renovated, and now offer a lot of space, stores, and convenient acces to the platform in combination with beautiful century old architecture.

As for the Central Station in Antwerp, the one I'm most familiar with, it truly is a remarkable piece of eclectic architecture. Erected in 1905 under the rule of Leopold II, it has the feel of a palace to it. There are tons of decorations with the personal shield of the king, the shield of Belgium and that of the Congo. The hall with its huge dome is magnificent, and behind the wonderfully restored station hall, you get a 3 level arrival area, a forth level with a nice shopping arcade and topped by a large roof structure, also over 100 years old. A bit hard to explain, but this picture shows it nicely

Which stations of the list have you visited? And which ones would you like to see on a revised list?
I love my Airport Job! :)

STT757

RE: You Like Trains, But How About The Stations?

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Even better than Grand Central Terminal was the former Pennsylvania Station, which unfortunately was torn down in the '60s to create MSG.  banghead 

The former Pennsylvania Station:

http://www.powwmedia.com/pennsy/images/exterior.jpg

http://www.powwmedia.com/pennsy/images/pnarcade.jpg

http://www.powwmedia.com/pennsy/images/mainwait.jpg

http://www.powwmedia.com/pennsy/images/concours.jpg

Today besides Grand Central Terminal Washington DC's Union Station is another beauty:

http://flickr.com/groups/340894@N21/
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

vandenheuvel

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm

I really liked Antwerp central station. Especially the stations hall. Except for Amsterdam Central, the most stations in the Netherlands are rather boring. There's only two tracks on both sides of a single platform.

[Edited 2009-02-05 09:04:40]

signol

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Quoting Bwest (Thread starter):
here's the top 10:

Best Stations
1. St. Pancras, London
3. Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mumbai
4. Central Station, Antwerp, Belgium
5. Dare des Bénédictins, Limoges, France
6. Lahore Railway Station, Pakistan
7. Central Railway Station, Maputo, Mozambique
8. Hua Hin Railway Station, Thailand
9. Atocha Station, Madrid

Which is no. 10?  Smile

I haven't visited Maputo Station, but it was designed by Eiffel (of Tower fame). I have read though that it's hardly used as a station, but more as a meeting point with shops, stalls, cafes...

Of the 10, I've only visited St Pancras and Grand Central, New York. I'd say that Berlin's new Hauptbahnhof needs to be there too, a masterpiece of modern architecture.

And for local flavour, our station in Norwich is quite nice too! :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Norwich_UK_train_station.JPG

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

bwest

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 3):
Which is no. 10? Smile

Sorry, it was a top 9  Smile How weird...

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
Even better than Grand Central Terminal was the former Pennsylvania Station

It's a shame indeed that such a great building got destroyed.

David L

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 4):
Quoting Signol (Reply 3):
Which is no. 10? Smile

Sorry, it was a top 9

I assumed it was Number 0 that was missing.

desertjets

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Grand Central Terminal in New York City is a gem. I am glad that New Yorkers got pissed off after Penn Station was leveled and replaced by the architectural abomination that is the Madison Square Garden complex. We have that incident as the impetus for historic preservation in urban areas in the United States.

Here's my beauty shot of Grand Central taken over a year ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...uthkey=lbxUJkqbsKI&feat=directlink

Only other major stations I've been in, or that I can remember....

Washington's Union Station -- already mentioned above and proof of how renovating and improving existing structures can be used as a center piece of urban renewal.

Chicago's Union Station -- I was like 9 when I was last there and don't remember much. But I hear it has undergone some major changes over the past 2 decades.

London's Paddington Station -- I was in and out after getting off of a Great Western train from Bath. I was taken back by how open it was and the Victorian iron work in the ceiling.

London's Victoria Station -- Only took the Gatwick Express and it departed from a pretty dingy feeling part of the station.

Chhatrapati Shivaji, Mumbai

The only way I know this is from Slumdog Millionaire. Looked pretty cool, and crowded.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

ANITIX87

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
Even better than Grand Central Terminal was the former Pennsylvania Station, which unfortunately was torn down in the '60s to create MSG.

Yes, but Penn station still exists...It was renovated and redesigned in the 60's, not torn down.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 6):
I am glad that New Yorkers got pissed off after Penn Station was leveled

I agree with both of you. That's why I'm so thrilled at the plans for the demolition of Penn Station and its replacement by Moynihan Station. Some of the charm of the old, old Pennsylvania will return in the new design, including that transparent roof. I can't wait.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

LTU932

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Well, the stations in Hamburg aren't that pretty to look at (Except perhaps Central Station and Hamburg Airport), but if you take a look at what people have to put up with when riding the S-Bahn, you'd be shocked. The people responsible, the DB Station and Service, does not even bother to take proper care of them or at least make sure they are as clean as possible.

As for the tube (or U-Bahn), there are a some quite pretty stations to look at. A few examples:

- Wartenau (the new red wooden tiles on the wall give it a very nice and modern touch)
- Lübecker Straße (specifically the U1 station, the U2 station of the same name is rather plain)
- Wandsbeker Chaussee (The U1 station specifically, it's being renovated as we speak, and will become yet another piece of tunnel station beauty)
- Farmsen (a huge station with a beautiful glass roof over both platforms)
- Kellinghusenstraße (if you ride on line U3 towards Schlump from Kellinghusenstraße, you're guaranteed to ride below a beautiful sand gate just before reaching the platform)
- Volksdorf (at the time it was built, Volksdorf was still an exclave of Hamburg, so it has the character of a central station, even to this day)
- Mundsburg (it's pretty much preserved in its original look from 1912, but with just very few modern items to it)
- Klosterstern (an example of Art Deco, the design style used for building what is known as the Kelljung-Linie)

You can view all of those stations, along with the tunnel stations from the S-Bahn, here: http://www.hamburger-untergrundbahn.de/

Type-Rated

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

I think that they have done a marvelous job on Chicago's Union Station. That place was a dump in the 70's & 80's, and now it's nice and clean and completed!
Last year I went in Chicago's Northwestern station, and I wondered where it all went! The building is still there, but all the trappings of a rail station were gone and it looks more like a mall than anything else? What happened to it and when did they do it?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

dc9northwest

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Well, the most beautiful station in Romania is the one called Burdujeni, in Suceava... modeled after one in Freiburg, I believe...

And Brussels Centraal is probably one of the ugliest... It really does not look like a train station; it's more like a dungeon.

Charles79

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Which stations of the list have you visited? And which ones would you like to see on a revised list?

I've only been to St. Pancras in London and Grand Central in NY, both of them quite nice buildings. Here in DC we have Union Station which others have already mentioned and it is quite stunning.

As for more modern stations I quite like the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof. It's like a glass castle letting lots of natural light in and plenty of shops inside.

How about stations in need of a makeover? I can think of two: Los Angeles, though pretty and historic, is awfully small (but then again who takes the train in LA right?). Also, the main station in Essen, Germany, could do with a renovation. Koln's station down the road could be used as a model me thinks.

N867DA

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:31 pm

What they did to NY Penn is near criminal. Unfortunately, scores of cities around the country have similar tales. Atlanta's magnificent station was torn down years before I was born. Its replacement is smaller than the average house, but to be fair it only serves two trains a day.

Mumbai CST is an architectural wonder but you'd better time your visit carefully if you want to see it. It needs to be maintained better, but I thought it was relatively clean.

Washington's Union Station is pretty comfortable. I don't remember much of it since it's been about a decade.

New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal looked strictly utilitarian. I doubt it will win any prizes soon...for anything!

Chicago Union Station is another one of those beautiful stations. Parts of the exterior look quite modern but the Great Hall takes your breath away. It takes you back to an era when rail travel was the best way to travel...it helps that if you stay there long enough you see departures to every corner of the country.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

luv2fly

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Now these were train stations in there days.

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, no longer a train staion though still lives on for all to enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinn...ti_Museum_Center_at_Union_Terminal

Now this one still stands though sadly no where near her former glory.

Michigan Central Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Central_Station
You can cut the irony with a knife

Cadet57

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Having only been to a few US rail stations, I'll list my favorites

1) Grand Central
2) San Diego
3) Worcester Ma
4 )Washington Union Station
5) New Haven, CT
6) LA Union Station
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

WunalaYann

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Gare de Lyon, Lyon-Perrache, Flinders St Station, Gare du Nord, Lille-Flandres, ...

Smile

ltbewr

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 am

From about 1990 to 2006, I used to walk through NY's Grand Central Station every working day. I saw it be restored to it's historic glory in the late 1990's, the removal of modern advertising to adding a staircase to the lower level on the east end that almost matched that on the west end of the main lobby. To me it is the best of existing RR stations in the USA, although of other USA stations I have been in, Chicago's Union Station, Phildelphia's 30th Street Station (main station for Amtrak there), DC's Union Station are great, restored RR stations as well.

Fortuntally, I have also been in a number of the finest European RR stations. Most stations in Europe tend to be glass shed designs and some of the stations mentioned above (Victoria, Milan, London-Paddington, various others) were quite impressive.

WunalaYann

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:39 am

And because an image speaks a thousand words (and heaps of megabytes):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Paris_GareDeLyon_FacadeEtTourDeLHorloge.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Gare_du_Nord_Paris.jpg

lxa333

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 am

For me Top 7, Ive been to quite a few in Europe and North America. Nothing else off these 2 continents yet.

1. Grand Central(I had the leisure of passing through this terminal everyday heading to job!)
2. Gare du Nord
3. Munchen Hauptbahnof
4. Basel SBB
5. St. Pancras
6. Wateloo
7. Zurich Hauptbahnof

[Edited 2009-02-05 21:06:55]

[Edited 2009-02-05 21:14:03]
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

bwest

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 am

I also love the early art deco look of Helsinki's train station

Designed by Eliel Saarinen, father of Eero Saarinen, who ofcourse built the Pan Am terminal at JFK. Quite a creative family  Smile

Marquis

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:26 am

If you add in Underground/Metro, my most favourite stations are some of the recently redesigned ones in Munich. Very modern and appealing.

Trudering
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/tr_7.jpg

Dülferstraße
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/df_1.jpg

Hasenbergl
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/hl_2.jpg

Georg-Brauchle-Ring
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/gb_1.jpg

Josephsburg
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/jb_5.jpg

Westfriedhof
http://g.imagehost.org/0445/westfriedhof.jpg

Candidplatz
http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/gross/cp_5.jpg
Riding the radials...

L410Turbolet

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Quoting Dc9northwest (Reply 10):
Brussels Centraal is probably one of the ugliest...

Prague is definitely among the top ugly ones as well, the early 20th century historical building has been bastardized by an ugly a$$ mid-1970s annex.

Train station in my hometown, built in 1935 (the tower used to contain water tanks for the steam engines).

Doona

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Anyone ever been to the Kobany Kispest above-ground metro station outside Budapest? Had the pleasure last spring, let's just say it was an impressive structure.

Very typical mid-century concrete-futurism, with orange plastic-looking siding, with large octagonal windows. Could use a good scrub on the outside as well. The inside was surreal, dirty concrete, big red girders everywhere and lots of people. It was like a scene out of Blade Runner or something...

All in all, pretty cool...

[Edited 2009-02-06 07:19:45]
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

baguy

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 16):
Gare du Nord

Pigeons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me St. Pancras International beats them all, so light airy and a wonderful fusion of modern and the original masterpiece.

BAguy

lincoln

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 pm

I've only ever really been in two "real" train stations -- and even, really, only a handful of platforms... but Grand Central Terminal (this past October) was fantastic... even though I was there at off times so there weren't a ton of people there you could feel the energy and the fluid movement of people.

Union Station in LA was just... odd. Interesting architecture, but IIRC a large section was cordoned off, very few people, tracks didn't make anywhere near as much sense as GCT.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Doona

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Quoting Baguy (Reply 24):
Pigeons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me, once when I was at the station in Cologne, a pigeon shat on my arm while I was eating a bratwurst. The vendor was nice enough to stop laughing for a second to give me a napkin...
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Charles79

Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 26):
Reminds me, once when I was at the station in Cologne, a pigeon shat on my arm while I was eating a bratwurst. The vendor was nice enough to stop laughing for a second to give me a napkin...

Have just one comment: Ewww!!!

Note to self: next week while in Koln, watch out for birds...or stay by the Dom and avoid the train station altogether!

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 25):
Union Station in LA was just... odd. Interesting architecture, but IIRC a large section was cordoned off, very few people, tracks didn't make anywhere near as much sense as GCT.

Not odd, just LA. And there's never a lot of people riding trains in LA...cars on the other hand though...

I like a joke made by Jay Leno following the London tube bombing a few years back:

"As a precaution local DHS and FBI agents made random searches on the two people who rode the subway in LA this morning".

Scorpio

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:05 pm

For those who like modern achitecture: the new railway station at Liege-Guillemins, Belgium, currently nearing completion:
The design:

Some recent photos of the building, nearing completion:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6761/guillemins6002lg6.jpg

Beaucaire

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Godverdomme -thats quite a design ! - I'm normally not a fan of modern architecture but the Liège railwaystation is quite spectacular..( although it must be difficult to clean the ribs of the structure when needed..)
Like the Antowerp station as well-so Belgium gets a good mix of old and new
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

GrahamHill

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 pm

I've never really paid attention to railway stations, but there is one that I always wanted to see, and that was Grand Central. Here is a pic I took in 2007:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5078/p1000059wa7.jpg

I love it  Smile
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

bwest

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 23):
Anyone ever been to the Kobany Kispest above-ground metro station outside Budapest? Had the pleasure last spring, let's just say it was an impressive structure.
Very typical mid-century concrete-futurism, with orange plastic-looking siding, with large octagonal windows. Could use a good scrub on the outside as well. The inside was surreal, dirty concrete, big red girders everywhere and lots of people. It was like a scene out of Blade Runner or something...

I was there last year. A very surreal experience. It's extremely busy, there's bums lying, drinking, fighting everywhere, who are completely ignored by all the rushing passengers. And then the stairway leading to the platform! It just feels you're going down to hell and might never return  Smile

Some flickr pics

britjap

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 pm

Quoting Baguy (Reply 24):
For me St. Pancras International beats them all, so light airy and a wonderful fusion of modern and the original masterpiece.

True true. And it makes a nice change to the grotty Kings Cross & Euston that are so close by. At last people have a great gateway to the UK when travelling in by train from the continent. (Waterloo is a filthy place as well)

Other than that I nominate Kyoto station. It has a spectacular interior space. I looked for pics on the web but none of them did it justice. But here is one I poached...

http://anime.aoselectronics.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/kyoto%20station%201.jpg

As for Underground stations I'll go with Canary Wharf...very open, airy, modern and minimalist.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Canary_Wharf_platforms.JPG

cpd

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Not nicest stations - but the worst is Town Hall or Wynyard in Sydney, Australia.

If you disagree, I tell you to go to either one of them at about 2:00pm this afternoon.  Sad

Or, any other 40 degree celsius weekday at 5:00pm... It's appalling.

LH423

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting Bwest (Reply 4):
It's a shame indeed that such a great building got destroyed.

The only good thing that came out of the demolition of Grand Central was that it really knocked the heritage conservation movement into gear in the US. Once people saw that amazing architecture was being destroyed for eyesores like Madison Square Garden, more was done to protect buildings under binding heritage designations.

That said, still a terrible loss.

As for me, my favourite still remains Washington Union.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

srbmod

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 13):
What they did to NY Penn is near criminal. Unfortunately, scores of cities around the country have similar tales. Atlanta's magnificent station was torn down years before I was born. Its replacement is smaller than the average house, but to be fair it only serves two trains a day.

The loss of both Terminal Station and Union Station in Atlanta was sad, but it wasn't until the Fox Theater was threatened with demolition did the historical preservation movement in Atlanta get jump started. Only then did folks really mourn the loss of the two downtown rail stations. Peachtree/Brookwood Station was never designed to be the main passenger depot, as it was designed as a commuter stop.

http://railga.com/Depots/atlterminal.html
http://railga.com/Depots/atlun1930.html

The only grand rail station I have ever been in is Union Station in Washington D.C. Now that is a beautiful station. One of these days, I intend to visit Union Station in Chicago (a trip to Seattle on the Empire Builder is on my to do list) and if I ever get up to NYC proper, I'm definitely planning a visit to Grand Central Terminal and have thought about taking a train from Penn Station (Perhaps take the Crescent back home to Atlanta.).

Cadet57

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:32 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 35):
Penn Station (Perhaps take the Crescent back home

I hate penn station, mostly because all ticketing, tracks, etc are underground, its dark, dingy and very utilitarian, not to mention a total labyrinth, i've finally just about figured out how to navigate it after my 12+ times in there.

Cory6188

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:45 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 36):
I hate penn station, mostly because all ticketing, tracks, etc are underground, its dark, dingy and very utilitarian, not to mention a total labyrinth, i've finally just about figured out how to navigate it after my 12+ times in there.

No kidding. I commute through it daily from NJ Transit to the 1/2/3, and whenever I have to go through the rest of the station, I'm at a total loss for all of the random hallways and staircases that lead who knows where...

greggarious

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:48 am

From the list, I've been to Grand Central Terminal (quite often, but just to catch the Subway), Madrid's Atocha station (I love the indoor garden) and St. Pancras (great new setup for Eurostar). Some other standouts for me are:

Philadelphia's 30th St. Station was always a grand piece of architecture for me.
Boston's South Station and Washington's Union Station are also solid (especially compared to the rat's nest that is Penn Station in NYC...)
Lisbon's Gare do Oriente is a wonderful station. Absolutely beautiful (along with Lisbon itself, of course)
Gare du Nord in Paris is awesome (plus, the Eurostar/Thalys/SNCF combination is unbeatable!)
I've only seen Amsterdam's Centraal Station under renovation (both times I've been there), but I still found it to be lovely.

Quoting Marquis (Reply 21):
If you add in Underground/Metro, my most favourite stations are some of the recently redesigned ones in Munich. Very modern and appealing.

Those are beautiful, and a far cry from what we've got here in NYC! (for the record, the 72nd St. 1-2-3 and 14th St.-Union Square 4-5-6-N-Q-R-W-L stations are my favorite here)

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 36):
I hate penn station,

Hopefully, once the City's economy gets back on its feet, the proposed plans to convert Penn Station and the adjacent Farley Post Office into Moynihan Station will become reality. It really needs to happen, as Penn Station is an absolute embarrassment when it comes to welcoming rail visitors to one of the grandest cities in the world.

MadameConcorde

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:00 pm

I did not want to post anything on this thread before I had pictures.

I went to Italy for my Saturday morning food shopping so I thought I would snap some pictures on the way.

The Monaco train station.

Upstairs
the souvenir shop, the café and ticket machines

The café

Hallway and ticket office

There is a seating area where it is perfectly safe to spend the night in case you miss the last train. The station is open 24/24, spotlessly clean, including the toilets and under close watch by the Monaco and French poliice.

This is the exit to the yacht harbour and the church of Sainte Dévote with the Sainte Dévote pass made famous by the Monaco Grand Prix. There can be some spectacular crashes in that corner, one of the most difficult ones in the race.

The escalator leads to the rail track in the direction of Nice and Cannes.

Another view of the same from the opposite track to Menton and Ventimiglia, Italy which is the last stop on the line.

A view to the other side while waiting for the train to Italy.

The TER regional train arriving. This one was bought by Monaco. This is a novelty. Monaco bought a number of trains for the line. They are still fairly clean although some of them are already tagged.

The double deck train in the colours of Monaco, red and white.

While I was on my way, I had to make a stopover at the last station before Italy. This is the last stop in France before crossing to Italy. The station name is Garavan. It comes right after Menton and before Ventimiglia. This is a charming old fashioned little station, the kind you see in old French movies.

A view in the direction of France

A view to the other side to Italy

The sea is a 5 minutes down the road from the train station. There is a big yacht harbour housing a couple of thousands yachts and boats with its own small shipyard. The border with Italy is right down the sea front. It has got cafés, a large supermarket, facilities for the yachties, a post office, restaurants, a pharmacy, real estate agencies and a few other convenience stores.

This part of Menton is top notch, safe and very sought after. A lot of Italians own property here. New Zealand writer Kaherine Mansfield had a villa in Garavan. It is now a museum.

http://knowledgerush.com/kr/biography/117/Katherine_Mansfield/

Short documentary on her life and work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtpKpKb7inM

So... this is my participation to this thread with a simple little report about some of my local train stations.

[Edited 2009-02-07 06:12:42]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

PSA727

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 pm

I would put Leipzig Hauptbahnhof in the Top 10. It's huge, beautiful architecture, and plenty of light inside. I was also quite impressed with the "themed" T-bana stations in Stockholm.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 11):
Also, the main station in Essen, Germany, could do with a renovation.

Have you seen pictures of the station before it was destroyed in WWII? A beautiful brick design.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

STT757

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 38):
(especially compared to the rat's nest that is Penn Station in NYC...)

Once when my Wife and I were waiting for our NJ Transit train back to New Jersey we stopped at a restaraunt in the LIRR concourse at NY Penn to get something to eat, we were sitting down at a table eating when something caught my eye over My Wife's shoulder. Behind her were a couple of BIG rats scurrying around, I didn't want to worry her so I didn't say anything. When I watched them enter the kitchen, climb around the food preparation areas before entering the Snapple machine I decided it was time to leave. I grabbed my Wife and ran out, she was like "I didn't get to eat my food" and I said "good".

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 28):
the new railway station at Liege-Guillemins, Belgium, currently nearing completion:

Santiago Calavatrava is also designing the new World Trade Center PATH station currently under construction in New York, it's scheduled to be completed in 2014.

http://www.renewnyc.com/images_WMS/Path/1_07-28-05.jpg

http://www.renewnyc.com/images_WMS/Path/NY_exterior_0374hi%20res.jpg

http://www.renewnyc.com/images_WMS/Path/4_07-28-05.jpg

http://www.renewnyc.com/images_WMS/transportation_hub/PATH_Terminal_PATH-concourse-twrds-main-hall.jpg

http://www.renewnyc.com/images_WMS/Path/PATH_Terminal_mezzanine-lvl-w-esclatrs.jpg
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Fly2HMO

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Trains? What are those things? Can you actually get on them?

Signed,
99% of America

Boeing744

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:33 am

I've been to only a limited number, and almost solely in central and eastern Europe. The best I experienced was Hauptbahnhof Linz, which was also the closest major station to where I lived. It's somewhat visually appealing, and very user friendly.

In North America I have only been to two: Ottawa and Montreal. Ottawa was boring and dated but acceptable. Montreal was nice, but unremarkable.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 11):
Also, the main station in Essen, Germany, could do with a renovation.

It's disgusting!

GrahamHill

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:51 pm

I've never been there, but I heard Avignon's railway station is not bad either. Here is a pic:

"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Braybuddy

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 pm

As for the Central Station in Antwerp, the one I'm most familiar with, it truly is a remarkable piece of eclectic architecture

It's a wonderful piece of architecture, but have they filled-in the hole outside it yet?

Quoting Marquis (Reply 21):
If you add in Underground/Metro, my most favourite stations are some of the recently redesigned ones in Munich. Very modern and appealing

I'm impressed!

us330

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):
5) New Haven, CT

Sorry, nothing to distinctive about it--just seems rather generic.

Favorites (or memorable ones) from where I've been:

Grand Central--which I live three blocks away from and use regularly, and it still amazes me.

LA's Union Station.

Copenhagen Centralstation--rather unique exterior architecture.

Amsterdam Centraal

New Berlin Hauptbahnhof

Weimar--pretty little station that just seems to fit with the town it serves

Washington's Union Station

Atocha in Madrid, and Seville

I was unimpressed with South Station in Boston and think Philly's 30th street station needs to be cleaned up.

Cadet57

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting Us330 (Reply 46):
Sorry, nothing to distinctive about it--just seems rather generic.

Thread wasnt about distinctive. It isnt overly amazing either, its just a nice station, that was kept up over the years. Thats all.

steeler83

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:18 am

Yup, I've been there. I've been to the main entrance there on 42nd St. as well as on the concourse level. I transferred from the No. 6 train from the Brooklyn Bridge to the crosstown train for Penn Station, where my friends and I caught NJ Transit back to Hackensack.

As for my list of the best train stations, I've been to (confined to PA, NY, and DC):

Philadelphia 30th Street Station - I love the concourse level! That ceiling is some 7 or 8 stories high, and I love the sound of the announcers over the PA system.

Grand Central Station
Washington Union Station (not by train, unfortunately)
NY Penn Station
Harrisburg Station
Lancaster Station
Pittsburgh Union Station -- a distant, very distant last!!

This trainstation is an utter embarrassment to the city of Pittsburgh. It used to be grand, but the old terminal building was converted into apartments. Now all that's in use is a crampy depot in the rear of the building.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

bwest

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 45):
It's a wonderful piece of architecture, but have they filled-in the hole outside it yet?

You'd be surprised if you were to visit it now. The whole square in front of it, as well as the street lining the station have been redone. Looks very nice now.

For the moment, there are still some renovation works going on at the exterior, so part of it is covered.

I was very happy when they finally removed the metal framework inside the building that blocked the view into the dome.