MadameConcorde
Topic Author

In Times Of Crisis Parisians Take To Scavenging

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:38 pm

In times of crisis, Parisians take to scavenging, fighting over food

Wed Feb 4, 2009 12:58pm EST
By Elizabeth Pineau

PARIS (Reuters Life!) - It's closing time at a market in Belleville, a working-class neighborhood in Paris, and a young woman in a black parka and white cap is rummaging through the abandoned crates.

After a thorough inspection, she slips a cauliflower and some slightly squashed oranges into her shopping bag.

"That's going to be my dinner," says the woman, who will only give her name as Yng.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5135E320090204

Sad
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

kaitak

RE: In Times Of Crisis Parisians Take To Scavenging

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Look down, look down, and see the beggars at your feet
Look down and show some mercy if you can
Look down and see
The sweepings of the streets
Look down, look down,
Upon your fellow man!

(Sorry, read this thread and immediately thought of Les Miserables!)

KLM-MD11

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:37 pm

...while others fly around the world in F just for the fun of it...

ironic and unfair, isn't it?
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

KaiGywer
Crew

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Quoting KLM-MD11 (Reply 2):

No..
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

WunalaYann

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Belleville, a working-class neighborhood in Paris

That was true 40 years ago. Just like most Western large cities, gentrification has done away with the concept of inner city blue-collar areas... The 20th arrondissement has seen one of the steepest rises in real estate prices over the past 15 years.

Rara

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:06 am

yes
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Alessandro

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 am

Welcome to reality, my friends, nothing new I say.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

DfwRevolution

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:01 am

You should be entitled to the standard of living that you are able to achieve for yourself. What is unfair about an individual spending their money how they please?  Yeah sure

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 6):
Welcome to reality, my friends, nothing new I say.

Reality is that business cycles are called cycles precisely because they are cyclical. The best most well developed nations will go through occasional recessions.

You just have to wonder how many times people will touch the hot stove before they realize that it does actually benefit to put some savings away instead of living at the razor's edge of their income. Maybe then they would be able to live with some dignity when they fell on hard times.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 am

Flying the world in F every big frequent flyer can do with mileage redemption tickets or by upgrading with systemwide or regional upgrades given away by the airlines.

You can buy the cheapest Economy fares and do Mileage Runs on LH or UA for example and still get all the miles.

I even managed to get Concorde flights by trading frequent flyer miles from Star Alliance to One World flyers. The going rate was two Transatlantic F RT for a Concorde RT.

There are airlines and consolidators selling F at discount too. So flying in F is affordable by many more than people think.

The true rich fly in their own (or leased) private jets often to exclusive private air fields where no airlines are landing. Down here on the French Riviera it's Cannes-Mandelieu. There is not even any passport control after they get off from where ever they come, mainly the Middle-East and Russia. It's very discrete.

Gulfstreams anybody? Falcon 900s or 7Xs? No airline will give you frequent flyer points to fly on them.  Big grin

RussianJet

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 am

Certainly is, yes. It's about time the human race started helping each other and abandoned this 'every man for himself' and 'you deserve what you can achieve' nonsense. Some people simply do not get the opportunities others do, or the luck, and those who can help the less fortunate should do so.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:56 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):
Certainly is, yes. It's about time the human race started helping each other and abandoned this 'every man for himself' and 'you deserve what you can achieve' nonsense. Some people simply do not get the opportunities others do, or the luck, and those who can help the less fortunate should do so.

oh this is so true...

only the "every man for himself" "every woman for herself" selfish individualistic behaviour prevails everywhere unfortunately. It is mind bugging to always see them talking to their cell phones all the time or be plugged to their Ipods and never wanting to talk to real people...

or not even care if they see somebody's in an accident or falls on the street... the fear of getting involved... they leave the place and go away immediately. I have seen a woman getting mugged on a train in a train station. I tried to go after him but nobody else made any move to stop him. The man jumped out of the car with her purse she had everything in there a few seconds before the train left the station.

aa757first

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:20 am

I agree with your sentiment but not with your conclusion. People should help other people when they can. You can fly in First Class and do that. They're not mutually exclusive.

And what about those who are born with excellent opportunities but let them fall by the wayside?

ltbewr

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:42 am

Throughout the USA, food banks, that is organizations that collect food and give it to needy people, are being hit on both sides - reduced donations and much more demand. There has been for a long time here in some urban parts of America, people who go 'dumpster diving' behind grocery stores and food markets to 'recover' usuable food and there numbers are probably growing. There are stores that sell 'day old' bread, just past the suggested sell by date foods and canned/packaged foods salvaged from closed or fire damaged stores and their business has gone up recently.

WarRI1

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 7):
You should be entitled to the standard of living that you are able to achieve for yourself. What is unfair about an individual spending their money how they please?

I think, that it is all in how you achieve it, we certainly have been watching the results of people doing anything and in anyway to achieve a higher standard of living, take Mr. Maddoff for instance. I think he was spending ( he thought it was his) other peoples money to achieve a standard of living he thought he deserved. We now see the end result of this idea of "Achieving" mentality gone mad. Such as the woman in the garbage pile and the world economy.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Francoflier

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:05 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 7):
You just have to wonder how many times people will touch the hot stove before they realize that it does actually benefit to put some savings away instead of living at the razor's edge of their income. Maybe then they would be able to live with some dignity when they fell on hard times.

I agree with that. But I don't think it applies to many people living in or near expensive European cities while making minimum wage, for whom just getting by every month means living at the razor's edge of their income. There are plenty, and the first month they spend without a paycheck is enough to drive them to the dumpsters...

This is gross generalization. Mankind works the way it does, and there certainly is room for much more 'helping each other', but it is also noteworthy that the biggest donors to charities and NGOs are the wealthy people and big corporations everybody is spitting on these days. Sure, they are as much after the tax breaks as they are after the good deed, but the truth is, run of the mill western middle class people like me who give 10 bucks here and there to charity aren't the ones keeping the help organizations alive.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.