fatmirjusufi

17/02 Kosovo Will Celebrate Its First Birthday

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi all,

Almost a year passed since Kosovo declared independence from Serbia. On February 17th, our new born state will celebrate its first birthday.

Facts
Formally Recognized by 54 UN countries
(Formally recognized by 22 European Union (EU) Member States)

More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaD77...rl=http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

RussianJet

RE: 17/02 Kosovo Will Celebrate Its First Birthday

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Thread starter):

Interesting, I honestly thought it was more. That is only a little more than one quarter of all UN countries.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

OA260

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm

This article is due to be released on Tuesday .

Kosovo: One year on

Tuesday, 17 Feb 2009 00:00

Kosovo celebrates its first birthday today. But independence has not proved a miracle cure for this international headache. If anything, the situation is now worse.

Economic woes are making the current situation on the ground especially pronounced. Unemployment is hovering just short of the 50 per cent mark, shockingly high for any western European country. Crime levels remain high. Infrastructure is yet to recover.

Global failure

Serbia, having kicked out its nationalist government last year, has not financed separatist movements as many feared. But on the wider diplomatic scene this is a rare positive. The overall picture in terms of international politics is far more divided.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/feat...th/kosovo-one-year-on-$1268967.htm

fatmirjusufi

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 1):
Interesting, I honestly thought it was more. That is only a little more than one quarter of all UN countries.

These things gets more time. Waiting for more recognitions these days-weeks-months...
Step-by-step.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Kosovo celebrates its first birthday today. But independence has not proved a miracle cure for this international headache.

Also we didn't expect any huge miracle after independence declared. Independence it's not kinda Abracadabra thing (everything would be fine after declaration)!
We're working hard to get things in line. Still new born country but with a lot of opportunities.

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

ALexeu

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 am

Hi,
There is a chance that Serbian parliament will hold meeting in Kosovska Mitrovica on 17th february.

Regards

slz396

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 1):

Disappointingly low indeed...

Basically it means the Kosovo is recognized as an independent state by the inner circle of those NATO countries pushing for its independance and their closest allied countries, who'd love to join the NATO club too. Apart from them however, not much neutral countries have taken the step to recognize the region as independent...

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 3):
These things gets more time. Waiting for more recognitions these days-weeks-months...

In fact, the number of likely new recognitions of Kosovo is very low, despite there still being a large pool to tap from and apart from the initial few weeks right after Kosovo declared itself independant, the time lapse between recognitions is pretty high: 2 clear indications Kosovo's independence is seen as an abnormality by the international community.

With Kosovo being off the international agenda for so long already, the pressure on other countries to recognize the brake away region has reduced tremendously over the past few months and time definitely is not playing in the hands of Kosovo on this, so it increasingly looks like Kosovo will just stay the pseudo-state it currently is with the number of recognitions dispappointingly low and nowhere near reaching an acceptable level for a state which could be considered 'for real' by neutral observers.

Even Israel is far more widely recognized than Kosovo, yet Israel is about as thin as you can spread it to be considered anything other but an imagined country rather than a real country, present on the global scene.

slz396

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 am

The number looks more impressive than it really is...

Have a look at this map, showing which countries have recognized Kosovo's independance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CountriesRecognizingKosovo.svg

Predominantly NATO countries with their natural and historic allies (e.g. Sweden or Australia), their dependencies (e.g. Afganistan, South Korea), and an occasional odd state (e.g. Senegal).

But other than that... nobody.

RussianJet

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 am

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 5):

I wouldn't say 'disappointingly'.

clear indications Kosovo's independence is seen as an abnormality by the international community.

Certainly true, despite all the hype to the contrary.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 4):
Hi,
There is a chance that Serbian parliament will hold meeting in Kosovska Mitrovica on 17th february.

I have read this already on headlines.
Albanian source only http://www.telegrafi.com/?id=2&a=3500

Apart from them however, not much neutral countries have taken the step to recognize the region as independent...

Which other neutral countries?

1. Countries that will recognize the Republic of Kosova soon
(Directly or Indirectly announced by respective governments or diplomats)
Bangladesh Announcement
Egypt, Arab Rep. Announcement
Haiti Announcement
Jordan
Kuwait
New Zealand Announcement
Oman Announcement
Pakistan Announcement
Qatar Announcement
Saudi Arabia Announcement
Timor-Leste Announcement
Yemen, Rep. Announcement

Source: www.kosovothanksyou.com

I do think it's not too low. Disappointingly not.

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

slz396

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 8):
Which other neutral countries?

Countries that are known to have an opinion of their own rather than just copy-paste their foreign policy from the text book of their sponsor (whoever that is), maybe?

I mean, do you think it is just coincidence the only 2 Asian countries to recognize Kosovo are South Korea and Japan, 2 countries whose territorial integrety and independance is guaranteed by the US army???

Or that the only central-Asian country to recognize Kosovo so far is Afganistan?

It would be a boost if for instance South Africa, India, Brasil or China would recognize your independance, as these countries are widely seen are regional (super)powers and considered to be totally outside of the sferes of influence of either side on this matter, but so far Kosovo predominantly seems to collect recognitions from states that have very strong bilateral ties with NATO, be it through political, economical or military alliances with NATO countries or by the military presence of US troops on their soil safeguarding their very own existance.... Not the kind of 'neutral' states which coild give credibility to a claim of being a truely independant nation, more an indication Kosovo is still just a NATO protectorate.

Heck, if you can't even win formal recognition of all EU countries one year after proclaiming it, you know you're a very dubious legal case, really...

RussianJet

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 9):
Heck, if you can't even win formal recognition of all EU countries one year after proclaiming it, you know you're a very dubious legal case, really...

An excellent summary of the situation. It is clear that supprt is limited for Kosovan independence.

iliribdl

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 10):
An excellent summary of the situation. It is clear that supprt is limited for Kosovan independence.

No it's not limitied. 54 countries, in which you have 90% of Europe, the US + Great Britain and their sister countries like Canada, Australia, etc. Then include Japan, Turkey, on and on. That is one powerful group of friends to have IMO. (unless you hate the west and you can't admit that they're powerful)

The only reason the rest of the world hasn't recognized is because of the damn Russian diplomacy who has brought only pain and destruction for as long as that country has excited. They are working day and night to stop more recognitions from happening, probably even offering weapons / help / other things in return for that. (i'm damn sure of this)

As for the birthday, yesterday I had my birthday, tomorrow my countrys, it's a great month for me.  Smile

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOSOVA!!! URIME DITELINDJA!!!
delta.com

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Here are some pics that I took today during a city strolling.

http://i41.tinypic.com/rlwefk.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2r4lqg5.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2hqx72t.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/dvoh9l.jpg

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

iliribdl

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Looks beautiful Fatmir. Keep taking more pics tonight and then all day tomorrow, and please post them in this thread.  Smile
delta.com

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 13):
Looks beautiful Fatmir. Keep taking more pics tonight and then all day tomorrow, and please post them in this thread.

Ilir, I will try to do my best. These pics I made with my brother's cellphone camera.
I plan to get tomorrow my camcorder and make some recordings. I think I'm gonna take pics also.  Smile

Little cold outside though.  cold 

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

iliribdl

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 14):
Ilir, I will try to do my best. These pics I made with my brother's cellphone camera.
I plan to get tomorrow my camcorder and make some recordings. I think I'm gonna take pics also. Smile

Little cold outside though. cold

Same time last year my parents were there to celebrate it. (me and my brother couldn't go because of school and work, sucks lol)

They said it was freezing during the night before and the day of the declaration.

And thanks again for the pics.  Wink
delta.com

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:12 pm

According to weather reports temperatures tomorrow are going to be from -6C min - 2C max.

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 15):
They said it was freezing during the night before and the day of the declaration.

I remember. It was cold like hell.  cold 
Anyway couldn't stopped thousands of people celebrating in the streets.

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 15):
And thanks again for the pics. Wink

You're welcome, Ilir.  Smile

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

ALexeu

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 11):
The only reason the rest of the world hasn't recognized is because of the damn Russian diplomacy who has brought only pain and destruction for as long as that country has excited. They are working day and night to stop more recognitions from happening, probably even offering weapons / help / other things in return for that. (i'm damn sure of this)

Nobody cares about Russian diplomacy. The reason why other countries didn't recognize Kosovo is because it is against int'l law whether you like it or not.

As for the birthday, yesterday I had my birthday, tomorrow my countrys, it's a great month for me. Smile

Happy Birthday! Your birthday is on the same day as the national day of Serbia.

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 12):
Here are some pics that I took today during a city strolling.

Nice pics! Keep them coming. I would like to see how does Pristina look these days.

OA260

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 17):
Your birthday is on the same day as the national day of Serbia.

Yes Sretenje - Dan državnosti

----

Happy Birthday IIliri

iliribdl

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Happy Birthday! Your birthday is on the same day as the national day of Serbia.

Thank you Aleks,  , didn't know about Serbia's day, thanks for that as well.  

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Happy Birthday IIliri

Thanks my friend.  Smile

[Edited 2009-02-16 09:47:08]
delta.com

RussianJet

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Nobody cares about Russian diplomacy. The reason why other countries didn't recognize Kosovo is because it is against int'l law whether you like it or not

So true - since when did the rest of the world not do something just because Russia didn't like it?

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Nice pics! Keep them coming. I would like to see how does Pristina look these days.

I'll try, Alex. These photos were taken at Mother Teresa's Boulevard.

Ilir I forgot to congratulate you. Urime ditëlindja - Happy birthday.  Smile

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
But independence has not proved a miracle cure for this international headache. If anything, the situation is now worse.

-
While the situation is hardly worse, progress of course is as slow as progress usually is. Miracle cures are never to be expected

Basically it means the Kosovo is recognized as an independent state by the inner circle of those NATO countries pushing for its independance and their closest allied countries

-
Wrong. One of the first countries to recognize the Kosovo was Switzerland, which is NOT to join NATO. Also other neutral countries did recognize the Kosovo who also are NOT to join NATO. What of course IS a hindrance is the opposition of Russia. But, as soon as more Arab countries do really recognize Kosovo, things will improve.

Even Israel is far more widely recognized than Kosovo

-
"even Israel" ????? Sorry, first of all, Israel was established in 1948, 61 years ago, and for six decades could rely on a powerful lobby. So that your comparison is a bit weird.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
But, as soon as more Arab countries do really recognize Kosovo, things will improve.

I do believe and hope that Arab countries will recognize soon our country. We have some hopeful signals from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Oman, Yemen, Qatar, Jordan and Kuwait.
Also I want to incl. Muslim countries such as Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 23):
hopeful signals from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Oman, Yemen, Qatar, Jordan and Kuwait.

-
to send out "hopeful signals" has always been a "quality" of Arab countries ! Whenever the KSA is the country with the money, your diplomacy should concentrate onto Egypt. Because as soon as you have the recognition of Egypt, many doors will be open. Do not forget that Egypt is THE heavyweight in the Arab World.

RussianJet

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 pm

No it's not limitied. 54 countries, in which you have 90% of Europe, the US + Great Britain and their sister countries like Canada, Australia, etc. Then include Japan, Turkey, on and on. That is one powerful group of friends to have IMO. (unless you hate the west and you can't admit that they're powerful)

28% of all UN nations is limited by anyone's definition. You correctly state that most of Europe close friends are the bulk of those that have recognised Kosovo. That fact makes support seem even more limited in a global context. Obviously the 'west' is powerful, and being a 'westerner' myself I certainly hate it. It is not the be all and end all though, and you need more than one clique of friends to be taken seriously in the wider world.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 pm

More photos. I forgot to upload these.

http://i42.tinypic.com/nv87eq.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/29x8bqd.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/mcxmvb.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/3535chs.jpg

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

OA260

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 26):
Fatmir

No Cyrillic on those signs ,,, tut tut tut  Smile

ALexeu

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 24):
to send out "hopeful signals" has always been a "quality" of Arab countries ! Whenever the KSA is the country with the money, your diplomacy should concentrate onto Egypt. Because as soon as you have the recognition of Egypt, many doors will be open. Do not forget that Egypt is THE heavyweight in the Arab World.

Egypt openly supports Serbian position and actively lobbies for other Arab countries not to recognize Kosovo.

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 26):
More photos. I forgot to upload these.

Tomorrow will be the real fiesta!

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
Wrong. One of the first countries to recognize the Kosovo was Switzerland, which is NOT to join NATO. Also other neutral countries did recognize the Kosovo who also are NOT to join NATO. What of course IS a hindrance is the opposition of Russia. But, as soon as more Arab countries do really recognize Kosovo, things will improve.

Swiss recognition is something that everybody has expected. All other countries are under the pressure of EU and NATO, directly or indirectly.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 24):

I was just comparing this two articles, ten year difference
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/332586.stm
http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.com/2008/02/egypt-and-kosovo.html

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):
No Cyrillic on those signs ,,, tut tut tut Smile

They didn't have Cyrillic fonts on Photoshop. Just kidding. Big grin
It's the same... important thing: it's in Serbian. Also Serb peoples don't use too much Cyrillic (officially they do). They use often Latin one.
E.g. http://www.blic.rs/

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 28):
Tomorrow will be the real fiesta!

Of course!  Smile

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

ALexeu

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 29):
I was just comparing this two articles, ten year difference
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/332586.stm
http://egyptianchronicles.blogspot.c....html

What Islamists don't realize is that most Albanians are rather American or European minded then Arabic / Muslim. Am I wrong here? Fatmir, what is the situation with young Albanians in Kosovo?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):
No Cyrillic on those signs ,,, tut tut tut Smile

Serbs are not going to read that, whether it is Cyrillic or not!

fatmirjusufi

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 31):
What Islamists don't realize is that most Albanians are rather American or European minded then Arabic / Muslim. Am I wrong here? Fatmir, what is the situation with young Albanians in Kosovo?

Many people mistakes differences between religion and nationality. We should distinguish these two things. Albanians incl. Albanians in Kosovo, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia and FYR of Macedonia belongs three main religions: Muslim, Eastern Orthodox and Catholicism.
Personally I'm Muslim (not extremist one after the others pretends Al-Qaeda is blooming here!) and respect other religions as the other does, also.

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

OA260

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 31):
Serbs are not going to read that, whether it is Cyrillic or not!

rotfl   rotfl  Not unless they have a good pair of binoculars which you can see from across the other side of the bridge lol...

ME AVN FAN

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Nobody cares about Russian diplomacy. The reason why other countries didn't recognize Kosovo is because it is against int'l law

-
No, the diplomatic influence of Russia is quite considerable. The Kosovo independence is not more against "international law" then the one of Slovenia, Croatia, Macedonia. And to say that the friends of Russia and Russia are the ones so heavily caring for "international law" is a bit a stretch ...............

RussianJet

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 34):
And to say that the friends of Russia and Russia are the ones so heavily caring for "international law" is a bit a stretch

He clearly didn't say that.

No, the diplomatic influence of Russia is quite considerable

When it suits people maybe, otherwise it's normally a case of ignoring their opposition various issues and making out like Russia is a total irrelevance. Can't have it both ways, and in any case, to suggest that Russian diplomacy is significantly responsible for the fact that 72% of UN member states currently don't recognise Kosovo is laughable at best.

ALexeu

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:24 pm

No, the diplomatic influence of Russia is quite considerable. The Kosovo independence is not more against "international law" then the one of Slovenia, Croatia, Macedonia. And to say that the friends of Russia and Russia are the ones so heavily caring for "international law" is a bit a stretch ...............

And yes, independence of Slovenia, Croatia etc. were against int'l law. They separated unilaterally, but at least Yugoslavia was a federation. But that's another story.

Anyway, Abkhazia and S.Ossetia have more rights to be independent then Kosovo!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 33):

rotfl rotfl Not unless they have a good pair of binoculars which you can see from across the other side of the bridge lol...

Hehehehe  wideeyed 

ME AVN FAN

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 35):
currently don't

-
> "don't" ? I would say "do not yet", which is THE difference. More will follow.
> India for example will not recognize Kosovo as this would anger Russia
-

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 36):
independence of Slovenia, Croatia etc. were against int'l law

-
Whatever, before the Swiss federal government recognized Kosovo, expert panels of the universities of Zurich, Berne and Basel (Cantonal universities) checked everything and all three panels concluded that Kosovo was NOT against international law. You may realize that the first secession of Swiss Cantons happened in 1291, more Cantons followed over the years, but the German Empire only recognized the independence of Switzerland in 1648 . By that criteria, Serbia will recognize Kosovo in about 2358 AD !
-

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 36):
Abkhazia and S.Ossetia have more rights to be independent then Kosovo!

-
Neither more nor less, but simply HAVE rights to be independent. And Russia will use the Kosovo precedent in order to improve its position overthere.

RussianJet

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
currently don't

-
> "don't" ? I would say "do not yet", which is THE difference. More will follow.
> India for example will not recognize Kosovo as this would anger Russia

Semantical arguments aside, the fact is they currently do not. Whether they will or not at some point in the future is not the point I was making. As for India, they are big enough and wise enough to choose their own way. There are certainly close ties with Russia, but don't insult India's intelligence by suggesting that Russia dictates their foreign policy.

Anyway, like I said, 72% of UN member states do not currently recognise Kosovo.

[Edited 2009-02-17 11:08:41]

fatmirjusufi

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:34 pm

for the fact that 72% of UN member states currently don't recognise Kosovo is laughable at best.

Tonight it's already a year after declaration. You thought we would be recognized from all UN countries... Nah! We are satisfied from these recognizes till now. Those things takes more time. Take an example from Slovenia and Croatia after their declarations.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
By that criteria, Serbia will recognize Kosovo in about 2358 AD !

Hahaha. Great model. Big grin

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

Kiqaboy

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Back from the Northern Mitrovica.
I has the hole day up there and it was realy cool there people were wondering around jsut as an usual day, i did some interviews with some local Serbs and sure they were very angry about the independence. I also met some friend up there that works in Prishtina and they said it is calm to day, btw in the southern part there was a big celebration going on people in the streets with flags and enjoin.

I will be there tomorrow again and i will take some pic tomorrow if i do not forget.
once upone time

ME AVN FAN

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 38):
Russia dictates their foreign policy.

-
No, it does NOT "dictate", but many countries regard their relations with Russia as being very important and do not want to alienate the Russians

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 38):
72% of UN member states do not currently recognise Kosovo.

"currently" is what I mean. It not too long ago was 85%. I am quite certain that it in another year will be below 50%.

fatmirjusufi

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Quoting Kiqaboy (Reply 40):
I will be there tomorrow again and i will take some pic tomorrow if i do not forget.

I like to see these pics.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 41):
"currently" is what I mean. It not too long ago was 85%. I am quite certain that it in another year will be below 50%.

I hope also.  Smile
I don't really know if these days we will get recognized by an Arab country. I wish to happen...
BTW, Maldives, a Muslim country is going to recognize us soon. Confirmation is going to be approved by parliament.
http://www.foreign.gov.mv/v2/news.php?news=3029

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

RussianJet

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 39):
You thought we would be recognized from all UN countries...

Nope, absolutely not - and I don't think you will be in ten years time either.

fatmirjusufi

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 43):
Nope, absolutely not - and I don't think you will be in ten years time either.

We don't need to get recognized from all countries entering in UN. Just to remember you.
Wait till our next anniversary.

Fatmir
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

OA260

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 44):

To be honest I dont think much will have changed. The situation on the ground will be the same, a handful of non important countries will have recognised Kosovo and the Northern majority Serb parts will be even closer to Serbia and broken away in all but name from the majority Albanian parts.

Another promising development for the Serbian government is that the British government and the EU have stated clearly that Serbian non recognition of the self declared Republic will in no way effect their EU entry talks. It is now clear that the EU will not make this a pre condition. Pressure has been put on those that sought it and Spain has been one such member for obvious reasons.

ALexeu

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 41):
No, it does NOT "dictate", but many countries regard their relations with Russia as being very important and do not want to alienate the Russians

Russia couldn't stop '99 NATO aggression on Yugoslavia.

Quoting Kiqaboy (Reply 40):

Don't forget!
Are you working for a TV station?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 45):
Another promising development for the Serbian government is that the British government and the EU have stated clearly that Serbian non recognition of the self declared Republic will in no way effect their EU entry talks. It is now clear that the EU will not make this a pre condition. Pressure has been put on those that sought it and Spain has been one such member for obvious reasons.

That's a good news, but I hope that we will never recognize Kosovo, even if recognition becomes a condition for joining the EU. None of the EU members gave away their territory for joining the organization. Don't forget that Croatia is slowing it's EU membership because of a very small part of territorial sea dispute in Adriatics with Slovenia!

Quoting FatmirJusufi (Reply 42):
I don't really know if these days we will get recognized by an Arab country. I wish to happen...
BTW, Maldives, a Muslim country is going to recognize us soon. Confirmation is going to be approved by parliament.

I just hope that Maldives will exist as a country in 20 years!

Regards

RussianJet

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:29 pm

We don't need to get recognized from all countries entering in UN. Just to remember you.

Not all of course, but a decent proportioni would be good in order to be taken seriously.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 45):

To be honest I dont think much will have changed. The situation on the ground will be the same, a handful of non important countries will have recognised Kosovo and the Northern majority Serb parts will be even closer to Serbia and broken away in all but name from the majority Albanian parts.

I agree.

OA260

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 46):
I just hope that Maldives will exist as a country in 20 years!

LOL.... It might be the Former Maldive Republic of Atlantis by then  Big grin

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 46):
even if recognition becomes a condition for joining the EU.

It wont be and for one pure reason that the EU knows Serbia will rather halt EU membership than give up Kosovo. The EU want Serbia inside the EU because they see it as another step to stability in the Balkans which is something they really want.

RussianJet

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
LOL.... It might be the Former Maldive Republic of Atlantis by then Big grin

Possibly, but let's not take anything away from the Maldives recognition - hey, you never know, maybe Nauru will be the next ones to formally recognise Kosovo, or perhaps even the mighty St. Kitts and Nevis, for example.