aak777

My Home Network

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi all
I have a network at home but i need to know the name "technical name of course" of this device which i named " DEVICE B " in the drawing.
Where "DEVICE A" is an ADSL modem and also a wireless+Ethernet but "DEVICE B" should not have a modem, but only wireless and Ethernet
so is it a bridge or a switch or router .... etc
i really don't know the difference between these.
i hope my drawing is clear enough
thanx

Big version: Width: 1391 Height: 490 File size: 333kb

Phoenix9

RE: My Home Network

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Your device B is likely to be a router (Wifi and ethernet) that may have been bridged with device A. But since you have a direct wire connection from A to B....seems like A and B are not bridged and your B is just acting as a standalone router.

A switch usually has plenty of ethernet connections (usually 5 or more) and usually does not have WiFi.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

northstardc4m

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Device B looks like a standard wireless access point or a wifi enabled router... could be either... Device A is probably a wifi enabled router w/DSL modem though so my guess is B is a simpler Wireless Access point... or at least functioning as one.

Alright thats probably too confusing...

So here's the simple question to clear all this up, why do you need to know?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Goldenshield

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm

By definition, it is a bridge. It need not be a router, as there are devices dedicated to bridge duty. In fact, I was lucky to get one for $40 brand new that is no longer made. New dedicated bridges go for $90+ now.

Here's a listing of what bridges Tigerdirect has available (for reference Smile

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...94&name=Wireless-Ethernet-Bridges&
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

andz

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:12 pm

How about giving us the make and model number then there is no doubt.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

TLG

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:00 am

I assume this is all set up & working properly? I would say that A is a router and B is a hub/switch (I'm not entirely sure of the functional difference). Device B, even if it is a router, would not be functioning as one, which means that Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is not enabled.

My 2¢,

TLG

aak777

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:33 pm

i want to buy a new device but i dont want to pay for something i will not use "modem".
also when i asked one sales man it seems that i know better than him, i know because he tells me one model has no modem and i know for a fact that it has, so i just say ok and leave him.

thanks for the replies BTW

signol

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Does device B need to be WIFI enabled? IE. is the wall really going to block the WIFI signal from device A? If that is the case, device B could be a simple ethernet switch, similar to the one I bought recently:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/35437

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Goldenshield

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:01 pm

A good article on bridging a network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge

Interestingly, according to this article, bridges now really a switch with bridging capabilities. So, anything that connects to a modern bridge is now on the same network, with collision avoidance, and packet forwarding.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.