DocLightning
Topic Author

Who Can Find A Job?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 am

I find myself unhappy in my job and I am considering, although not entirely sure yet, abandoning ship and going into private practice.

But jobs are scarce in San Francisco for pediatricians. Doctor jobs aren't posted in want ads like other jobs are, they're often highly networking-based, and the economy is hurting pediatrics because people have lost their health insurance and son can't afford to take their kids into their private docs to have their routine childcare done. (Which is probably why we're seeing a lot of whooping cough this year).

Can YOU find a job? If heaven forbid you lost yours, how easy would it be for you to find an acceptable replacement?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

HAWK21M

RE: Who Can Find A Job?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
Can YOU find a job? If heaven forbid you lost yours, how easy would it be for you to find an acceptable replacement?

Interesting Thread.
Out here Doctors mint money & depends on their IT declatations,so lots of spare cash.

In My Field....If one has a Licence on a particular type,chances are good,but Seniority in an organisation is an issue.as out here promotions are seniority based & NOT performance based.

Currently times are bad.....But a Job will be there def for a person that can work theoritically & Practically only there might be a need for a pay cut on the way.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

babybus

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 am

You should come to England Doc. We need all the doctors we can get hold of and you're career wouldn't be affected by the credit crunch in the NHS.

If I lost my job I could get a new one but I'm not sure I'd want it though.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Doona

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 2):
You should come to England Doc. We need all the doctors we can get hold of and you're career wouldn't be affected by the credit crunch in the NHS.

Same in Sweden too, and probably any country with a "socialized" medical system. But remember, Swedes are the prettiest people in the world, so even though we're all a little racist it can still be pleasant to move here, if nothing else just to look at us and rejoice.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Charles79

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Actually I can. I'm currently looking at moving to Europe but that hasn't stopped domestic (US)recruiters from contacting me. I just had a guy tell me that if I decide to stay here in DC that he's got at least 3 jobs for me to choose from.

There are still plenty of jobs out there, it all depends on you having the right mix of skills to become more attractive to potential employers or perhaps be willing to relocate. It may take longer to find the "perfect" job but if you accept the fact that such a thing only exists in your dreams then you might find a job sooner.

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):
Swedes are the prettiest people in the world, so even though we're all a little racist it can still be pleasant to move here, if nothing else just to look at us and rejoice.

LOL! But you're absolutely right, it doesn't hurt to have some eye candy while you do your daily routine.

steeler83

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm

I am already looking for something, even if I have to leave Pennsylvania to get a better job than the one I have now. I work as a housekeeper at a nursing home, and as of late, I think enduring 8 hours of root canal work would be more enjoyable than the torture I am enduring right now...

I am currently in a Masters program at West Chester University of PA pursuing a MA in geography and planning with a certificate in geographic information systems (GIS). I am looking out in the Midwest and Southeast for better jobs, primarily GIS jobs...

I just submitted my resume for a GIS job with HDR at their Lexington, KY office.

So, to answer the question of how easy it would be for me to find a job -- here in Pennsylvania, it's next to impossible IMHO...

As far as doctor jobs are considered, just be happy you don't live in wonderful Pennsylvania. I hear that malpractice insurance robs everyone here. I have heard of many doctors who left the area because they could not afford the malpractice insurance -- but that's a whole other can of worms, really...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 4):
There are still plenty of jobs out there, it all depends on you having the right mix of skills to become more attractive to potential employers or perhaps be willing to relocate. It may take longer to find the "perfect" job but if you accept the fact that such a thing only exists in your dreams then you might find a job sooner.

checkmark  Absolutely.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Cadet57

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 pm

I've actually just found a second p/t job to help make up for some of what I lost when my hours were cut at my other p/t job. If I were to loose my full time job, however, finding a replacement would be easy. There are always openings in my field and I have a lot of contacts that I can call on to get some work.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

A332

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):
Swedes are the prettiest people in the world

Mats Sundin & Peter Forsberg (for two quick examples) are what we are to consider "pretty"....?

Ummm...
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:35 pm

acceptable replacement?

"Acceptable" is the key word. Sometimes you have to change what you would have previously found acceptable.

For me, just about any job that pays the bills is acceptable (at least, at this point in my life). I don't have to like it; I don't have to look forward to going into work every day.

Obviously, if I do enjoy what I do, it's a bonus. If I'm learning something, and if I feel that my mind is put to good use, it's great.

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):
so even though we're all a little racist it can still be pleasant to move here, if nothing else just to look at us and rejoice.

Haha, everyone's a little racist. At least, everyone who's at all interesting.... Smile

It may take longer to find the "perfect" job but if you accept the fact that such a thing only exists in your dreams then you might find a job sooner.

checkmark 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Doona

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 8):
Mats Sundin & Peter Forsberg (for two quick examples) are what we are to consider "pretty"....?

We like to send the uggos overseas. Keep the good product for ourselves, so to speak.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

swissy

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I find myself unhappy in my job and I am considering, although not entirely sure yet, abandoning ship and going into private practice.

Just move north of the border!!!!! (Canada eh)!! Lots of work..... in your field.... and not to far away from home  Wink ..........

Cheerios,

ShyFlyer

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Can YOU find a job?

My job hunt could best be summarized by this:

I think I've heard every possible canned HR response imaginable.

gnasher 
I lift things up and put them down.

iairallie

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 pm

I know my mother found several of her medical field jobs through networking via conventions.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

us330

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Ominous thread timing--I was just laid off today, so I am about to find the latter out firsthand.
Anybody in NYC need a recent college grad to help out in the office?
I'm toilet trained, I swear.

AirframeAS

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Can YOU find a job?

You can find ANY job in this current state of the economy, if you really know where to look, and if you look hard enough.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Phoenix9

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Move to Canada...very acute shortage of docs here. Hell...the govt. will even pay you sign in bonus and help with moving expenses if you want to move to a rural area. Plus the health care is paid by the govt. so even private practice works pretty good. Contact me if you need more info since I am in the field.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

cpd

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Actually I can. I'm currently looking at moving to Europe but that hasn't stopped domestic (US)recruiters from contacting me. I just had a guy tell me that if I decide to stay here in DC that he's got at least 3 jobs for me to choose from.

I find that they all come racing to offer you jobs when you've found the job you are very happy with - so I have to find all sorts of nice ways to break the news to them.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 12):

I think I've heard every possible canned HR response imaginable.

gnasher

Don't give up - it's just that there are a lot of people in the job market, and the economic problems don't help. Just take whatever is available, even if it is awful.

Something I dare not think about. I'm happy where I am and I intend to stay there. It wouldn't be so simple for me because I prefer working in public service - but there is a recruitment freeze at the moment.... I could probably find one if I had to though.

san747

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

I've applied to several airlines hiring in Southern California, and so far haven't gotten any response, which is a little disheartening, because I have almost 2 years of experience and I have a passion for the airline industry...

Hopefully something will come through, but I won't lie- it can be difficult to remain optimistic and motivated.
Scotty doesn't know...

Fly2HMO

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am

Can YOU find a job?

I wish. While I'm currently "employed" (meaning I earn peanuts working for my own school from which I just graduated) I can't get a pilots job and I doubt I will soon with this crap economy. I'm just shy of 250hrs total time but that ain't squat to anybody. I'm just hoping some friends of mine have an opening in a company and pull me in soon.

Phoenix9

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

Rant alert:

Finding a job these days seems like it has nothing to do with merit or qualifications....its all about who you know and how much of a head you are willing to give. Plenty of advertised jobs are just 'advertised'...they have already been alloted to some friend of a relative of some d*ckwad who doesn't know any of the stuff but knows how to suck up the higer powers. Seen that happen a lot of times. Now I'm not saying that all jobs are like that...but more and more seem to be moving in that direction. You might not know diddly from squat but you know BOB from accounting who knows Karen from HR and you are a shoo in. It is not unheard of that some jobs are 'created' for a significant other or their relatives.

/rant
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

cpd

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 20):
Finding a job these days seems like it has nothing to do with merit or qualifications....its all about who you know and how much of a head you are willing to give. Plenty of advertised jobs are just 'advertised'...they have already been alloted to some friend of a relative of some d*ckwad who doesn't know any of the stuff but knows how to suck up the higer powers. Seen that happen a lot of times. Now I'm not saying that all jobs are like that...but more and more seem to be moving in that direction. You might not know diddly from squat but you know BOB from accounting who knows Karen from HR and you are a shoo in. It is not unheard of that some jobs are 'created' for a significant other or their relatives.

That's very true. The other example is the job that was advertised because by law, it had to be, but they already have the candidate. Either they are acting in the position already, or they are contracting in it.

Those are annoying - I've seen a number of them like that, and was told about one job which had extremely high requirements. I saw it myself and was tempted to apply, but didn't. Some months later, I was talking to a colleague who knew someone else who knew people, and well, you know the rest - the specifically high requirements were for no other reason that they had two people already and wanted to change their positions to full time permanent.

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 17):
Just take whatever is available, even if it is awful.

Believe me, if I get an offer, I'm taking it.

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 am

There are still plenty of jobs out there, it all depends on you having the right mix of skills to become more attractive to potential employers or perhaps be willing to relocate.

Well, relocation for me is not an option. I can't leave SF again.

My skill set is very limited. I am a board-certified, licensed pediatrician and I am fully bilingual English/Spanish. I have a Masters in molecular biology

That qualifies me for the following jobs:
1) General Pediatrician
2) Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
3) Urgent Care Pediatrician
4) Clinical Research Scientist
5) Laboratory Research Scientist
6) High-falootin' drug company whore.

Can't find jobs in any of the above except 5, but they would never hire me because I'm overqualified to be a lab tech and underqualified to be a P.I.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Doona

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:23 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
High-falootin' drug company whore.

I'm assuming that one pays the best...

Cheers
Mats

stasisLAX

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am

they would never hire me because I'm overqualified

That's the problem I'm running into, Doc. I've 23 years of financial services management experience in a call center environment, but no employer wants to PAY for all of my experience. I'm now trying to find a job with the help of a VERY expensive "headhunter" from one of the best known employment agencies in Los Angeles, but there is very limited interest for someone with my skill set. I'm simply over-qualified for all local jobs, having managed call centers that handled a million plus calls/emails/contacts a year for several years.

I have received some interest in one insurance management position - which happens located to be in Warsaw, Poland   

[Edited 2009-02-25 00:45:04]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Charles79

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 24):
High-falootin' drug company whore.

I'm assuming that one pays the best...

Cheers
Mats

Beat me to the punch Mats...although from his looks he might only qualify for an entry level position!  Wink

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 25):
I have received some interest in one insurance management position - which happens located to be in Warsaw, Poland

Sounds like you're in a tough position Stasis...but Warsaw kinda sounds interesting! But I know how weird the LA market is...when I was leaving the Air Force last year in El Segundo I got offered an administrative assistant position up in Ventura, obviously they didn't even bother to read the damn resume! When I called them and politely told them that I was overqualified for the position their reply was that they just needed someone who speaks Spanish. I mean it's LA, 90% of the population speaks Spanish, just throw a dart out the window and it'll hit someone who does!

DocLightning
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 26):

Beat me to the punch Mats...although from his looks he might only qualify for an entry level position! Wink

Talk about a back-handed compliment...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Charles79

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
Talk about a back-handed compliment...

I knew you're smart enough to get it!

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, I am having a little trouble but I am speaking to a couple recruiters on Friday about p/t work. I only need 8hrs a week at $7-8 an hour.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

cannibalz3

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 am

I graduated college and moved to the West Coast full of high hopes, but it's been mostly downhill from there. The list of jobs I have been rejected for is ridiculous; I've applied to hundreds of jobs in the past few months and in the rare interviews I manage to swing, I'm always told there are about 200-300 (the number keeps growing!) others applying for the same job. I actually got turned down for a dishwashing job because two years of dishwashing experience wasn't enough. My college education doesn't seem to help. On the plus side, it's led me to pursue (with some success) my dream career as a freelance journalist - which unfortunately is a dying profession. Oh well. DocLightning, if you find a job and need an assistant, let me know!

Rj111

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:42 am

I got laid off last year. Did a few months studying, then applied, applied and applied for about 3 weeks and got a pretty decent job. On more money than before, and the cost of living is pretty low atm. So i'm happy.

It can be pretty disheartening in the current environment, but you just have to try harder and maybe accept slightly less money.

eric

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm now trying to find a job with the help of a VERY expensive "headhunter" from one of the best known employment agencies in Los Angeles,

Are you seriously paying a headhunter. I am not 100% how it works over there but in Europe, any headhunter who charges you money is a fraud alert. Usually, a headhunter will get commission based on your salary plus a set fee.

I would seriously consider finding someone else.

I lost my job one month ago (investment banking, FO). Whereas before Christmas when I was trying to shift job due the inherent threat of the bank going out of business, I was told there were no jobs at all available in London. Whereas mainly the recruitment is strategic hires (senior level, highly networked staff) I am finding that in the banking market, things have started to ease up a little with two-three potential jobs lined up although there is a while before I think anything will come out of it. But probably of little comfort as the general rule is that the banking recruitment picks up 6-12 months before the general economy which unfortunately means more redundancies in the wider economy.
n

ScarletHarlot

Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm

I have not seen exactly what you are describing. Networking is totally important. That is the way good jobs are found these days. But you still have to be qualified. I had a job made for me at my current employer when I was laid off in 2004. But I had worked as a consultant for this company for eight years and they knew me and what I could do so they made it happen.

A guy who worked for one of my vendors was just laid off and I'm helping him to network. So many people are applying for jobs. Who would you want to hire, someone with a good resume who comes recommended by someone who has worked with him/her, or someone just off the street who has a great resume but is an unknown?

But nepotism is just stupid.
But that was when I ruled the world

sv7887

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Good thread! I did lose my job a few months ago. We were "strategy consultants" (I say that in quotes because consulting is crock of you know what) to the Auto industry and well what happened there was obvious. I was dumb enough to take that job because I felt it was something I was "passionate' about..Oops, doubly so when I had some very good offers at the time from companies that are still doing well.

The possible available sectors open to me are Finance, Consulting (external and internal), Market Research, Economist, and corporate analysis type roles.

It's a tough go so far though there are jobs out there. I've been to the final round at least two times and both times they've concluded I was "overqualified" for the job. That might have been their nice way of telling me "Get Lost" but they did tell me to keep in touch so who knows...

In the Boston area, Consulting is more or less dead, with the exception of public sector ones that stand to gain a lot from the stimulus bill. Also Pharmaceutical or anything related to Healthcare consulting is still good. People seem to think I should be in Finance but seem to be unaware of how hard it is to get into that field outside of NYC.

Finance is more or less dead, but there is an opportunity for younger people as Wall St lays off all their higher priced talent. Even in Boston I'm starting to see quite a few private equity jobs and boutique Investment Banking firms quietly recruiting.

Market Research seems to be a toss up. Most firms do need competitive intelligence, so you do see smaller firms recruiting. Economists jobs are popping up amongst government think tanks, Federal Reserve, and others.

Actually for those looking for good jobs, Look at www.usajobs.gov there is a ton of stuff out there.

Most companies do need "number crunchers" are there are some of those jobs being advertised these days.

That's the problem I'm running into, Doc. I've 23 years of financial services management experience in a call center environment, but no employer wants to PAY for all of my experience. I'm now trying to find a job with the help of a VERY expensive "headhunter
" from one of the best known employment agencies in Los Angeles, but there is very limited interest for someone with my skill set.

God, I've heard the same exact thing. Isn't it so frustrating?! Are there any skills that are readily transferable to other industries? At the end of the day, you're still a manager and those skills are in demand regardless of where you worked.

I've had the same feedback. My background isn't anything special, typical 3 yrs of Consulting, but people are getting thrown off by my MSc in Finance and Econ. They all ask me, "Why aren't you in Finance?" The MSc is pretty much a primer for derivatives pricing, corporate finance, and investment banking...However, the state of that industry is pretty much well known...

I hope it works out for you. I've always felt experience is far more important than academics, so I hope things turn around for you!

There are still plenty of jobs out there, it all depends on you having the right mix of skills to become more attractive to potential employers or perhaps be willing to relocate.

Well, relocation for me is not an option. I can't leave SF again.

My skill set is very limited. I am a board-certified, licensed pediatrician and I am fully bilingual English/Spanish. I have a Masters in molecular biology

Have you considered Health Care or Life Sciences Consulting? They love MD's and pay very well. Typical work is around 65 ish hrs a week max. With your Masters you have an even better candidacy.

Here are two firms that I know of offhand. They aren't in SF but it will give you an idea of what they do:

Eidetics:
http://www.eidetics.com/whoWeAre.html

Putnam Associates:
http://www.putassoc.com/

If you can do medicine I am 100% sure you can hack analysis and strategy. Anyone who got through Organic Chem has my respect!! I was Pre-med but dropped out after getting a B in Orgo.

don81603

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:51 pm

In my chosen profession, (line haul truck driver with 15+ years experience, and numerous endorsements) I could quit at 08:00, stop for coffee, and be gainfully employed by 08:15. It may not be the most glamorous job in the world, nor the most desirable, but the job security and pay more than make up for it.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Cadet57

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Agreed. All of the work I can find isnt "advertised" its word of mouth, or just asking "

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 29):
. I only need 8hrs a week at $7-8 an hour.

Wow, you can get by on 60 bucks a week? Wish we could all be so lucky...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

sbworcs

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 pm

I have recently decided that I need to change my job. I am an admin manager by title but most of my work actually involves data analysis and reporting on sales, margins etc. The second part I love but it the management bit of it I really don't like - think the trouble is I am now managing people who used to be co-workers and it is causing friction. My boss knows I am looking for another job but I am finding it very difficult to get one that would interest me and pay enough to make ends meet (although willing to take a pay cut if need be!!)

The main problem for me is my notice period - I have to give 3 months notice and my boss told me that the company will hold me to it and not let me go a day early - most prospective employers given the choice between that and someone who can start in a month will chose the latter!
The best way forwards is upwards!

roadrunner165

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Alaska: We have jobs.

stasisLAX

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Quoting Eric (Reply 32):
I am not 100% how it works over there but in Europe, any headhunter who charges you money is a fraud alert.

Very standard procedure here in the U.S.. The senior-level "employment consultants" (as mine likes to be called) will usually charge anywhere from 5 to 15 percent of your first year's salary (excluding any performance or signing bonuses, if that's still happening in this economy!). I've worked with headhunters before, after being laid off from a position with a major U.S. broker-dealer in early 2002. That headhunter landed me a project management position with a insurer for a fee of 10 percent of first year's salary.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

eric

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 39):
The senior-level "employment consultants" (as mine likes to be called) will usually charge anywhere from 5 to 15 percent of your first year's salary

That is fair enough - but usually this fee will be absorbed by the recruiting company. I have two types of headhunters working for me at the moment. The one's who have called me about a job and those I've contacted. The one's who called me, easy - the others work on the understanding that if a Company need someone, they will use the headhunter (even though the job is not advertised and they may call me).

I still think you ought to use someone who will not charge you but your employer. I.e. they will find jobs on the internet for you and help you. If they are contacted by a Company and call you, obviously the Company should pay for it as they need the labour, not you. It is a bit like saying (which is true in this market nonetheless) - hire me and I will take x% pay cut just to work for you.
n

MCOflyer

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:12 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 36):

Wow, you can get by on 60 bucks a week? Wish we could all be so lucky...

It's all I need to survive on currently and fortunately I do not need more unless I get a good car to complement my existing one. When I do get my job, I will work no more than I can handle. I am very fortunate right now.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:30 am

they have already been alloted to some friend of a relative of some d*ckwad who doesn't know any of the stuff but knows how to suck up the higer powers.

That's kinda how I lost my last job.

BN747

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 am

100% go into private practice! Nothing beats working for yourself! I'd map out all the Medical plaza/complexes in the area, take an accounting of all the pediatricians at each and see which comes up shortest or an area on the shortside of access. It's now all about convienence (to the patrons now). You may have to commute...but you must go where the money is...

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

cairo

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:48 am

I have an email inbox full of solicitations from headhunters and I get called once a week or so to see if I'm interested in interviewing elsewhere. This economy is a problem, but there are healthy businesses and industries out there...

Cairo

MOBflyer

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 am

I just got offered a job at a consulting firm - quite an upgrade from my current position at Chick-fil-a  Smile

corinthians

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:00 pm

I was in the same boat about a month ago. My company announced that they were going to close down our division in early June. I was doing corporate finance. My educational background is in economics and I've done various finance jobs in health care, investment banking, non-profit and government.

As soon as my company made the announcement, I just sent out resumes and contacted recruiters. I tried doing some "networking", but nobody's company was hiring. Actually, they were all asking me to hook them up because they were scared of losing their own jobs. It's a really bad economic environment out there.

Anyways, I kept plugging away on my own and even dumbed down my resume a bit as I thought it might be overqualified for some of the positions that were available. I was able to go on quite a few interviews and eventually got an offer last week for an accounting job that was slightly less than what I make now, working fewer hours for a more stable company. I took it. I'm really excited to start this new job because it seems like a pretty good fit even if the salary is slightly lower. Actually, I have a second interview with another company tomorrow and I think I have a decent shot at that job.

This is the fastest I have ever found a job (two weeks) since I started doing any job search. I must be the luckiest SOB in NYC at the moment.

Point is that there are jobs out there, but you really have to know where to look. Big companies will not be hiring. They're so paranoid right now that they're slashing everything they can think of to their own detriment. They just don't care how deep the cuts they make are. It's going to hurt them in the long-run. Smaller companies are hiring. Non-profits and governments are hiring too. They don't pay as well, but their benefits are much better, you work better hours and get much longer vacation time, if that's important to you. They're also less likely to lay people off during downturns. Universities are hiring as well, but they are more difficult to get into.

Even though I may have found something good relatively quickly, before I was to be laid-off, I still wouldn't recommend anyone start a job search right now if they have a relatively stable job. I am more the exception rather than the rule and the market, especially in finance, is truly that bad. I don't see it getting any better until the fall.

Oh, and before I forget, I wouldn't recommend going to these "job fairs". Most of them are absolutely useless and will garner no results. I never met anyone who found a job through a job fair. A lot of companies that go to these events hire temporary "HR staff" just to attend and collect resumes. Most likely, the real HR people won't ever see the resume you drop off there. It's also really discouraging to attend these things in this day and age as there are just too many people attending these things and you won't ever get any face time with company representatives. The only people you'd be "networking" with are the fellow unemployed and I don't think that's really going to help anyone out. If you do choose to attend these events, go to one that's industry specific because maybe you'll have a chance to meet someone in that industry you have a desire to work in.

stasisLAX

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 am

Quoting Corinthians (Reply 46):
Point is that there are jobs out there, but you really have to know where to look. Big companies will not be hiring. They're so paranoid right now that they're slashing everything they can think of to their own detriment. They just don't care how deep the cuts they make are. It's going to hurt them in the long-run. Smaller companies are hiring.

And this is exactly when hiring a good, well-connected "headhunter" can be worthwhile. The headhunters network with the HR people at these smaller companies constantly so the headhunters ALREADY know where to look. Headhunters are not for everyone, but if you're a professional with alot of experience, they can be the way to go if you need to find a job quickly.

corinthians

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 47):

And this is exactly when hiring a good, well-connected "headhunter" can be worthwhile. The headhunters network with the HR people at these smaller companies constantly so the headhunters ALREADY know where to look. Headhunters are not for everyone, but if you're a professional with alot of experience, they can be the way to go if you need to find a job quickly.

And that's the problem: finding a well-connected headhunter. Most of them promise you the world, but don't generate jack.

Out of the ones I've used in the past. Robert Half was the worst and I never got anything from them. Winter Wyman was the best. I had better luck with the smaller ones than the bigger ones.

flybyguy

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 2):

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):
But remember, Swedes are the prettiest people in the world, so even though we're all a little racist it can still be pleasant to move here, if nothing else just to look at us and rejoice.

I guess this question goes out to American expats. How easy is it to get working papers overseas? I would figure that most countries outside the U.S. in reaction to this global crisis would probably reduce the number of work visas granted to foreigners for fear that resident aliens would be taking jobs away from their citizens.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller