AverageUser
Topic Author

Are You Still Planning A Cruise Ship Vacation?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Are you still in the mood to holiday cruise in the Caribbean, or perhaps elsewhere, despite the downturn? In the hierarchy of all possible ways of spending your vacation, is the cruise ship a "must experience" for you?

bananaboy

RE: Are You Still Planning A Cruise Ship Vacation?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I am hoping everyone says "yes"... I work for a cruise line.  Smile

Although commissioned by a far-from-independent source, a recent study shows that, at least in the 45-54 age group, 78% of people will spend as much or more on a holiday when compared to last year.

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1134856.php

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ALexeu

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:23 pm

I'd rather take a cargo ship to the remote island of Tristan da Cunha or Pitcairn Island! It's a bigger adventure for me.

Never been on a cruise ship tough. The closest thing I've been on is a ferry.

windy95

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Yes, We are going on Holland Americas Eurodam over spring break. It is their newest ship. Has anyone been on it yet? As for a must experience this ill be our 11th cruise. It will be my sons 4th and we feel it is a great deal for a family vacation. Especially living in Florida where we can avoid the Airports and just drive to any of the Ports down here.

The down turn has not affected my family or anyone I know....So far. Knock on wood...

CXB77L

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Not exactly a "cruise ship" by definition but if I were rich enough, I'd love to go around the world on the QM2, in one of their Grand Duplex Suites!

If I'm going to indulge on a cruise, I might as well go all the way.
Boeing 777 fanboy

ALexeu

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Is there any website devoted to ferries / cruise ships and cargo vessels, similar as a.net but only including photos and info about ships, ports etc?

yooyoo

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:45 pm

I love the cruising experience. I've been on 4 cruises but it's been several years since my last. Yes, the recent economics is not good for me and so i'll be waiting a bit before i go on another trip. My wife and i think about going but it doesn't make $$ sense right now.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

MadameConcorde

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm

I want to have a Captain with a full technical crew to take the QE2 off Nakheels and Dubai hands and have her sailing back to Southampton where she belongs before they get her wrecked.  yes 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

SmithAir747

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:09 pm

I am planning a 10-day Alaska cruise, on Princess, departing San Francisco, 1-11 Sept. 2009.

I am planning this as an 85th-birthday surprise for my mom. (My plan is for the two of us to go together, sharing a cabin.)

I am trying to raise the money for the balance (I already paid a deposit on it a few weeks ago), due in June 2009. So I am spreading the word out to my friends in Indiana and California. Wanna chip in?  Wink

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:53 pm

My dad and I are going on our third cruise during April break, on Royal Caribbean. We start off in Tampa go through Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Sammana, and finally ending in San Juan. Should be FUN!

ACDC8

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 8):
I am planning a 10-day Alaska cruise, on Princess, departing San Francisco, 1-11 Sept. 2009.

We might be sailing by each other, I'm booked on Holland America departing Vancouver on the 9th of September Big grin

We were going to go in May, but it had to be postponed so we rebooked for September. It'll be my very first cruise so I'm quite looking forward to it.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

bananaboy

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 5):
Is there any website devoted to ferries / cruise ships and cargo vessels, similar as a.net but only including photos and info about ships, ports etc?

Plenty.
www.cruisecritic.com
http://shiphappenzz.wordpress.com/
http://www.shipspotting.com
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ukshipspotters/
http://www.shippingdatabase.com/index.php

Have fun.

Mark

flymia

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 am

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 3):
Yes, We are going on Holland Americas Eurodam over spring break. It is their newest ship. Has anyone been on it yet?

I was one that ship for a new year cruise. It is a nice ship. Its no Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ship but you can tell its new. It was a above average cruise IMO. Room staff was great! Dinning staff not so great, worst I have experienced on a ship. Also the deal of the ship is to rent one of the pool side Cabanas! They cost I think $50 a day to rent or $200 for the whole week. It gives you a great place to spend the days at sea and have lunch, comes with waiter service, free bottled water and Champaign etc.. Its a great thing to have. Reserve it for the week and your the only one who can use and you don't have to worry about finding a place to lay down and relax outside on sea days. I am not much of an sit down outside in the sun person since I already live in Paradise  Wink but I was out there almost every day. Call NOW! and see if they are available.
Besides for that if you have any questions just let me know. Ship is still fresh in my memory. What Islands are you going to?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

JasYHZ

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Just got back from an 11-night Caribbean on board the Celebrity Constellation (12JAN-23JAN) and already have two deposits down for next year (waiting on commitments from other friends; we can always cancel one with no penalty). A 10-night Caribbean on the brand new Celebrity Equinox out of FLL or a 14 day (technically we're doing a back to back cruise of two 7 night sailings) on the Celebrity Summit from SJU.

After doing our first cruise onboard the Celebrity Milennuim last year we are now die hard cruisers. We can't imagine doing a land vacation again and we can't imagine sailing with ANYONE other than Celebrity!

JasYHZ
"That's it! You just made the list!"

ALexeu

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Quoting Bananaboy (Reply 11):

Thanks!
In last few weeks I developed an enthusiasm for ships (which is mostly because I love exploring islands, seas, rather then the ships itself).

yooyoo

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 10):
It'll be my very first cruise so I'm quite looking forward to it.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Be prepared as the shore excursions for Alaska cruises are a little more than a "southern" cruise due to the fact they have a small window for tourism. But still, it's a great time on and off the ship.

tootallsd

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm

I have a Atlantis cruise at the end of March Hong Kong > Vietnam > Bangkok > Somewhere Else > Singapore. On a very nice Azamara ship. I look forward to it immensely.

ACDC8

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 15):
I'm sure you'll have a great time. Be prepared as the shore excursions for Alaska cruises are a little more than a "southern" cruise due to the fact they have a small window for tourism. But still, it's a great time on and off the ship.

Thanks! I am looking forward to it. We were originally going to take the cruise all the way up to Seward and fly back from ANC, but that got changed as well, so we're just doing Vancouver to Vancouver. As far as the excursions go, we've done our research, so we're prepared for that. I am hoping to book a floatplane trip out of Juneau Big grin

windy95

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 16):
I have a Atlantis cruise at the end of March Hong Kong > Vietnam > Bangkok > Somewhere Else > Singapore. On a very nice Azamara ship. I look forward to it immensely

That sounds great. When my son is a bit older we will do some more adventurous cruises.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 12):
Besides for that if you have any questions just let me know. Ship is still fresh in my memory. What Islands are you going to?

Thanks. We are doing the St Thomas, San Juan, Provedenciales and the private island. The Turk and Caicos is the only place we have not been. My 9 year old has not been to San Juan before so we look forward to showing hom Old San Juan. He is a Pirate lover so he will love the Forts and castles there. We have done Disney, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival so we will see how we like HAL. We received a great interline rate for a balcony cabin and wanted to check out the Turks and Caicos so we chose this one. Thanks for the info.

It seems the parking at Port Everglades has gone up in price since our last trip out of there. We are North of Tampa so it is not a bad drive.

PPVRA

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:29 pm

I haven't been on a cruise in almost 15 years (Brazilian coast line), and have none planned, though my friends are going on one for Spring Break. . . I won't be able to make it though, too busy. Carnival Cruises, I think the ship is called Freedom.

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 8):

I've heard that Alaska is raising fees on Cruise ships soon and that some Cruise lines have said if it goes through they will leave. Whether they leave or not it'll probably be more affordable now than next year.

Hong Kong > Vietnam > Bangkok > Somewhere Else > Singapore

That sounds awesome. I was looking for cruises out in Asia the other day but couldn't really find much, though admittedly I only did a quick search out of curiosity. None of the majors seem to go out that way.

I also want to do one around Cape Horn and western South America.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

2707200X

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:10 am

I am, I will cruise on a Carnival Cruise ship from the port of Long Beach to Mexico with my parents, grand parents and aunts and uncles from the 13th to the 15th of this month. I have not been on a cruise since since I was on the Starship Oceanic in 1987 when I was eight.  Smile
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Goldenshield

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 am

Quoting BTVB6Flyer (Reply 9):
My dad and I are going on our third cruise during April break, on Royal Caribbean. We start off in Tampa go through Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Sammana, and finally ending in San Juan. Should be FUN!

I'm taking that ship right after you get off with my father.  Smile
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

corocks

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Not going on a cruise, but still going on vacation even with the economy the way it is. I leave for Thailand in 5 days!

Been on one cruise and did not really care for it. Thought is was overrated a little.

yooyoo

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 17):
so we're just doing Vancouver to Vancouver

We did that a few years ago. It cut down on the flying which i didn't mind so much but the wife on the other hand wanted less flying!!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 17):
I am hoping to book a floatplane trip out of Juneau

That sounds great. Can you book this on-line? Some excursions can book up quick.  twocents 

na

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I´m afraid I have to postpone my planned QM2 cruise for a while, as the crisis has hit my business very hard.

Quoting COrocks (Reply 22):
Been on one cruise and did not really care for it. Thought is was overrated a little.

Its like with any holiday. There are good and bad ships, good and bad destinations. I enjoy cruises very much, especially the classic style (you wont find me on a glitzy Carnival adventure boat or an Aida party ship though).

OA260

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 3):
es, We are going on Holland Americas Eurodam over spring break. It is their newest ship.

I was on the inaugural launch and did a trip report on it with lots of pics.

-------------------------

I have 3 planned this year.

ACDC8

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 23):
We did that a few years ago. It cut down on the flying which i didn't mind so much but the wife on the other hand wanted less flying!!

It kinda of bummed me that we ended up doing the return trip. I was really hoping to see more of Alaska. Oh well, next time I guess  Smile

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 23):
That sounds great. Can you book this on-line? Some excursions can book up quick

Most excursions from what I understand can be booked before hand (online or travel agent) and at a reduced rate as well, to be honest though, I haven't had a chance to look at all the details yet if these are pre-bookable. To be honest, I haven't really looked at the intinerary in detail either. The original cruise we booked (going up to Seward), I spent most of my time trying to find a fun way up farther north to Barrow and Prudhoe, but I guess thats not going to be neccessary now  Sad

AverageUser
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 pm

Helsingin Sanomat (Helsinki, Finland) writes that Royal Caribbean is seeking refinancing for its two Oasis class cruise ships now under construction, due to "apparent financing trouble" . The cruise ships, which are set to break the same manufacture's Freedom class's previous record as the world's largest cruise ship, have a Finnish State export guarantee in place for 80% of their sales value.

link in Finnish

(M/S Oasis of the Seas under construction in Turku, Finland, in Nov 2008)

[Edited 2009-03-02 14:39:19]

csturdiv

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:43 pm

Over the Christmas holiday my family and I took a cruise to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. The ship was packed and in port the other ships that we saw were packed as well. If I had to do it again today, I would do it. Maybe not on a large cruise ship, but on something a bit smaller to where there are not as many people cruising with me.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

canuckpaxguy

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:50 pm

A few of my friends I are thinking about doing a Mediterranean cruise in the fall. There's a new Carnival ship "the Dream" that should be ready by then. Nothing's confirmed yet though.

G

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 21):
I'm taking that ship right after you get off with my father.

Crap. I need to reword that badly! That's what I get for typing past my bed time.

It shoudl say:

My father and I are taking that ship after you arrive in San Juan on it.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

yooyoo

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 27):
(M/S Oasis of the Seas under construction in Turku, Finland, in Nov 2008)

I find it fascinating the way they build these beasts.

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 29):
A few of my friends I are thinking about doing a Mediterranean cruise in the fall

I've only heard good things about cruises in this part of the world.

If i were to book a cruise now, it would be a Scandanavian cruise.

OA260

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 am

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 27):
Helsingin Sanomat (Helsinki, Finland) writes that Royal Caribbean is seeking refinancing for its two Oasis class cruise ships now under constru

February 25, 2009
Is Oasis of the Seas in Financial Trouble?
Are Oasis of the Seas and other Royal Caribbean new-builds in financial trouble? That's the buzz being generated by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s recent annual performance report,

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3083

OA260

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Pretty scary due to extreme winds in Spain the ship broke loose and a passenger fell into the sea.

MSC Fantasia

http://www.turnto10.com/jar/entertai...cruise_ship_breaks_moorings/11003/

Goldenshield

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 pm

I saw the video of that posted on Youtube. I couldn't figure out where/who it was, as it was never noted. Pretty crazy, but this is exactly why ships put to sea when a hurricane is coming. Those mooring lines are big, but their tensile strength is nowhere near what a ship could exert --- especially with those kinds of winds. The front moorings did stay in place, though, as they were down wind.

Interestingly enough, that ship has been in service less than 4 months.

[Edited 2009-03-07 06:20:05]

OA260

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 34):
Interestingly enough, that ship has been in service less than 4 months.

Yes its their new flagship. I have been invited to go onboard for lunch and a tour in Barcelona in a few weeks. The winds were really bad though. I just came back from Spain and Thursday night was terrible. The windows were rattling and a fence in the hotel blew down.

The guy was lucky that the ship did not move back towards the Quay again. One of the MSC crew jumped in to rescue him.

For those interested in the Eurodam my pics can be found here ::

Eurodam ::

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/eurodampics1/

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/eurodampics2/

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll25/eurodampics3/

windy95

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
For those interested in the Eurodam my pics can be found here ::

Great pics. My wife enjoyed them and for that I thank you. We are looking forward to our upcoming trip on the Eurodam.

windy95

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
Are Oasis of the Seas and other Royal Caribbean new-builds in financial trouble?

By watching the stock prices of Carnival and Royal the last few months I would think they all might be wishing they had not ordered the future capacity.

OA260

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 36):
Great pics. My wife enjoyed them and for that I thank you. We are looking forward to our upcoming trip on the Eurodam.

No probs im glad you liked them. You will certainly have a great time. I was really impressed. They serve the best Cinnamon Ice Cream in the lunch buffet. Also the speciality coffees were great. Flowers were everywhere and everyone commented on how nice they were.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 am

Once again, our plans have had to be changed ...  banghead 

I couldn't get the time of work that I needed for our Alaskan cruise in September (gotta love unions ...  Yeah sure ) so we rebooked today and as it now stands, we will be going on a Caribbean cruise (Fort Lauderdale - Bahamas - Aruba - Curaco - Fort Lauderdale) in the middle of November.

I am defienetly looking much more forward to the Caribbean than Alaska, so I really have my  crossfingers  that this will stay and not have to be rebooked again.

jcs17

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 am

I'm not really a fan of cruise ships, although I have gone with my family twice on Princess (to the Mexican "riviera," and the Southern Caribbean). Being a four-star cruise line, Princess treats you really well, and everything is well maintained. That said, I just don't like being on island for one day, since you can only do one thing, generally.

As for planned vacations in general? I'm unemployed, so there's your answer. I might have an interview in Portland, Maine next week, so I guess I'll get away for a day or two. Unfortunately, Maine isn't quite like the Barbados in March.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

SmithAir747

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 am

I have already mentioned that I am planning an Alaska cruise in September for my Mom's 85th birthday. (I am still attempting to raise money for it, and have sent out fundraising letters to friends.)

There is actually another cruise I would love to take someday (at least next year or a few years down the road): A transatlantic voyage to England!

I lived in England for 3 years (as a student at King's College London, Guy's Hospital), so I know quite a lot of people in London. Ever since I finished my course in London in 2007, and sadly and reluctantly left my "extended family" of dear friends behind, I feel I have left a piece of my heart in London. So, I have been yearning to make a return visit!

For years I have dreamed of taking "The Boat" (one of the Cunard "Queens") eastward across the Atlantic, to England. If the Queen Elizabeth 2 were still in service, I would have loved to sail on her. But since this beautiful old classic ocean liner is no longer in service, I have set my sights on the Queen Mary 2 (she still sort of looks like an ocean liner, despite the boxy look). I have been wanting to experience a transatlantic sea voyage aboard Cunard.

I'm not getting any younger, and I'm getting much busier with my craniofacial embryology research in San Francisco (which I love dearly, needless to say). And who knows how much longer there will be such an opportunity to take a true ocean liner across the Atlantic?

I'm thinking ahead to my 35th birthday in 2010, and have been toying with the idea of steaming across the Atlantic on the QM2 (instead of flying) to England to make a return visit to London. If not 2010, then hopefully within a few years of that date.

I feel it would be a grand, adventurous way to celebrate my 35th birthday! What do you think?

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ACDC8

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 41):
I feel it would be a grand, adventurous way to celebrate my 35th birthday! What do you think?

I'm with you on that one. A Trans Atlantic is the ultimate cruise for me, preferably (as yourself) on Cunard. However, I'd prefer a westbound voyage to add to the nostalgia of all those fearless souls coming to the new world for a better life.

Perhaps a Trans Atlantic cruise A.Net meet sometime down the road may be an interesting option? Big grin

MadameConcorde

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:15 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 42):
Perhaps a Trans Atlantic cruise A.Net meet sometime down the road may be an interesting option?

It would be very nice. Maybe by 2010 Cunard will slash the prices low enough so we can all afford to do a Transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2. Victoria and the new Elizabeth are probably very nice but not holding as good as the Queen Mary 2 in stormy weather.

QE2 was the best but she is now a lifeless Ship, such a shame.

This is a great link for you all cruise ships buffs.

Feel free to explore this forum. There is some fab materials in there with all the latest updated info by cruisers.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/index.php

champagne   camera   sun 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

OA260

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 42):
I'm with you on that one. A Trans Atlantic is the ultimate cruise for me, preferably (as yourself) on Cunard. However, I'd prefer a westbound voyage to add to the nostalgia of all those fearless souls coming to the new world for a better life.

I did Barcelona to Miami a few years back and it was fantastic.

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:18 pm

46 days til I hit the high seas. I still need to decide on excursions still, but I know what I'm going to do in SXMBig grin

OA260

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:21 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 45):
but I know what I'm going to do in SXM

They should actually have a ''Planespotting Excursion''might be popular lol..

TurkishWings

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 am

I have a Atlantis cruise at the end of March Hong Kong > Vietnam > Bangkok > Somewhere Else > Singapore. On a very nice Azamara ship. I look forward to it immensely.

In January, I was on the Freedom Caribbean Cruise with Atlantis and I had a great time. I wasn't much prepared though. Make sure you get the correct outfit for the planned parties. People do take it seriously  Smile

I am now planning to take the LA to Mexico Cruise in October (if I find a good airfare) or the Caribbean Cruise in January. Good times...
Coffee - Tea or Me?

OA260

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 am

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 47):
Freedom Caribbean Cruise with Atlantis

Nice ship I have been on it . Im not sure I would like to do the Atlantis ones though. I prefer a mix of everyone to be honest.

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 47):
People do take it seriously

Yep you need a dark suit or a Tuxedo.

bananaboy

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am

Last ship I went on was this...

..and very nice it was too.

Not sure finances will permit a cruise holiday this year though.  Sad

Mark