OA260
Topic Author

Dirtiest Hotels 2009

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Some of the reviews are like horror stories !!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/DirtyHotels?nl=MU&pid=1595

Post your worst nightmare hotels .

hoons90

RE: Dirtiest Hotels 2009

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 pm

When I was looking for some hotels to stay in NYC, I looked around the review sites and saw nothing but terrible reviews for the Hotel Carter. Wasn't surprised to see it at the very top of the worst list. Very glad that I avoided the hotel!

I actually stayed at a hostel instead, and it wasn't a bad experience.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

Superfly

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 pm

# 1.Hotel Carter, New York City, New York ?!?!?!

LOL!  rotfl 

I've stayed at that hotel for the A.net meet in 2005.
At $85 a night in Times Square, you can't beat it.
These people are exaggerating how bad the place is. It's not as bad as they make it out to be. The bed was super soft and it has a color TV.  Smile
One thing I like is the strong water pressure from the sink and shower.
I'd rather stay at the Hotel Carter instead of a Hostel that has no privacy.

Read my review of Hotel Carter at Yelp.

(I am Larry J)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hotel-carter-new-york

The worst hotel I stayed at was Motorville in Daly City.
That place smelled so bad it made me sick.
Bring back the Concorde

Leskova

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Most of my worst hotels are located in just a single city... London... heavens, there are some horrible dumps there, and some of which are quite expensive...

But the one that absolutely takes the cake was the "Royal National Hotel" - I shudder just thinking about that dump, horrible. Seemed like a hospital converted to a hotel, the rooms had peeling paint all over, whatever covered the floor might have been carpet a couple of decades earlier, the sheets on the beds as well as the bathroom looked like it had been a couple of weeks since they'd seen detergents... and I'm trying not to remember the breakfast...  vomit 

Thank heavens, our head office isn't in that part of London any longer, but in Kensington - the hotels are a bit more expensive, but at least there's a small chance that you're actually going to get a room that's survivable!
Smile - it confuses people!

davehammer

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 pm

The Royal National Hotel is really something else. I'm amazed it still exists!

nkops

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 pm

I stayed at a Clarion in Lancaster, PA one time when I was doing work there... I checked-in and went to the room to find about 100 termites beat me there already... I immediately checked out and went elsewhere and had the company reimburse me that way... It was disgusting!!
:evil:

stasisLAX

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:48 am

The absolute worst hotel that I ever stayed at was the Vagabond Inn located next to the Convention Center in downtown Long Beach, California. I stayed at this "establishment" for one memorable night when I was apartment hunting in Long Beach. All-time worst choice in hotels:

First room, the door lock didn't work. I went to the front desk, and they re-coded the magnetic key-card. Still didn't work. Front desk goes up to the room - oops, another guest is already in the room. Scary sketchy-looking desk clerks

Second room, dirty carpet that turned the bottom of my socks black with grime. Room smelled like a combination of pot smoke and bad room refresher. At 3 AM, two cracked-out "ladies of the evening" knock on the room door - I politely say "no thanks" to their offer to spread their STDs and climb back into the (lumpy) bed. Upon waking in the morning, I think that maybe a swim in the pool would be refreshing. The hotel has a pool, but there hasn't held water in it for two years. So much for a swim. Checked out the next morning and moved to the Best Western down the block. Had to dispute the hotel's billing to my credit card as they charged me for two nights. After faxing a written dispute to them, American Express finally agrees with me and reverse the charge.

The worst hotel experience of my life.

[Edited 2009-02-27 18:50:05]

[Edited 2009-02-27 18:52:42]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Superfly

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:03 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 6):
the Vagabond Inn

There is a nice Vagabond Inn in Pasadena on Colorado bl.

For a cheap hotel in Los Angeles, you should check out The Snooty Fox Inn.
They have mirrors on the ceiling.  Cool
The only problem is that it's in South Central LA on Western Ave.
I've stayed there once and I may be back there in a about a month. A girl I reconnected with from high school wants to check out the place, just for fun.  Wink

The Saharan on Hollywood bl. is a great hotel and for $69 a night in Hollywood, that is an excellent price. They do have a swimming pool that is very clean too.
Bring back the Concorde

vhqpa

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:26 am

The worst I've had was a hotel I booked though Qantas holidays for a overnight stay in SYD granted I only paid about $80 for it the room resembled a prison cell. It was all white had two single mattresses on top of each over a wardrobe, coat rack and a chair. The bathroom was across the hall and had a single shower cubical which had a curtain instead of a door but nowhere to hang your clothes.

Not quite as bad but I was staying in a hotel in Warrnambool, Victoria last year the room itself was fine but in the hall right outside our room I noticed there was a huge crack in the ceiling

Vhq
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

vikkyvik

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:36 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
These people are exaggerating how bad the place is. It's not as bad as they make it out to be. The bed was super soft and it has a color TV.

I dunno man, check out some of the photos:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...Carter-New_York_City_New_York.html

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
They have mirrors on the ceiling.

Western Ave.

Western Ave.....Mirrors on the ceiling....that about fits  Wink
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jmc1975

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:00 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 3):
But the one that absolutely takes the cake was the "Royal National Hotel" - I shudder just thinking about that dump, horrible. Seemed like a hospital converted to a hotel, the rooms had peeling paint all over, whatever covered the floor might have been carpet a couple of decades earlier, the sheets on the beds as well as the bathroom looked like it had been a couple of weeks since they'd seen detergents... a

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 4):
The Royal National Hotel is really something else. I'm amazed it still exists!

I stayed at the Royal National back 1989. When we got to the room, the heater had been disconnected from the wall. So we got moved. Back then, it wasn't terrible...it was more or less a melting pot of tourists from all over the world. At the Royal National, I developed an appreciation for the tight turning radiuses of European tour buses as they would frequently make U-turns within the hotel's courtyard-like driveway.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

On another note, I've heard horror stories about the Chungking Mansion in Hong Kong. Has anyone stayed there?

aviationmaster

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:09 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 9):
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...Carter-New_York_City_New_York.html

Wow!  yuck 

I guess you get what you pay for. Big grin

WestJetForLife

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:22 am

When I was in Europe this summer, my Travel Agency booked me at the Royal National. Suffice it to say...I checked out of there ASAP, told my T.A. that I was *not* staying there and managed to get myself a room at the Imperial Hotel in Russell Sq.

To be honest, the Imperial wasn't exactly 5-star, but it was a lot better than peeling paint, vile odors and unbelievable cold (heater was disconnected/not working).

I think the worst hotel I have stayed in without changing was this hotel near YVR, the Fraser Arms I think. Back in 2002, our flight from YVR to YYC was canceled, and as our luck would have it, every flight out of town was overbooked (Stampede, anyone?), so the family and I decided to get a hotel. Once again, no rooms available, and my dad said "damn it, one night at the Fraser Arms or one night on the streets."

I am never staying at anything like the Fraser Arms ever again...

Nik
I need a drink.

ABQ747

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
These people are exaggerating how bad the place is. It's not as bad as they make it out to be.

Did you see any of the pictures people posted? Bed bugs, mold, dead mice and rats, cockroaches, blood, hair, pee bottles, exposed electrical wires, etc.  yuck  You couldn't pay me to stay in that hotel.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

vandenheuvel

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Last week i stayed at Hostel the Widget in New York. Luckily not as bad as the Carter Hotel. Still a really bad hostel. Hairs where all over the bedsheets, the carpet felt really dirty, the light was making a zooming noise, and the toilet was seriously out of order. Most hotel quests could not handle this, they thought it would help to try to flush paper. Also homeless people where using the showers. Off witch the windows where fixed in the open position.

bananaboy

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Grand Burstin Hotel, Folkestone.

Had to go down to Dover for an innaugural event, but due to the lack of forward planning, the town was full, so we had to stay at nearby Folkestone.

What an utter dump. It was a few years ago, but the things I remember..

£3.75pppn sea view supplement to look over the harbour that smelt of shit.
The scrambled eggs at breakfast that were grey and clearly made from powdered egg.
The bacon that had been sitting in its own fat for so long, the whole container had burned and sealed together.
A notice in my bathroom asking me to use the shower curtain inside the bath. Unfortunately, both the shower attachment and curtain were missing.
Dust bunnies in the bathroom fan, and around the ceiling corners.
Polystyrene ceiling tiles, and AFAIR, flourescent lighting in the bedrooms.

The following mutiny ensured that we stayed at the Holiday Inn for the next event!  Wink

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Hotel-Folkestone_Kent_England.html

Looking at the reviews, it seems as though they are working hard to improve.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Quoting Bananaboy (Reply 15):
Grand Burstin Hotel, Folkestone.

Had to go down to Dover for an innaugural event, but due to the lack of forward planning, the town was full, so we had to stay at nearby Folkestone.

Awww sounds bad. I went to Folkestone and even the place is not nice. I was staying in Dover at the Churchill hotel with a lovely seaview and when I woke up in the morning I saw my baby waiting for me to board  Wink  Big grin

Superfly

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:23 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 13):
Did you see any of the pictures people posted? Bed bugs, mold, dead mice and rats, cockroaches, blood, hair, pee bottles, exposed electrical wires, etc. yuck You couldn't pay me to stay in that hotel.

YIKES!  Wow!

That is disgusting!
I guess they were good to me and gave me their best room. My stay at teh Hotel Carter wasn't anything like that.
Bring back the Concorde

bananaboy

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
I saw my baby waiting for me to board    

Aww.. she lovely.  bouncy 

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

2707200X

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:12 pm

About 19 years ago I was about 10 or 11 years old and my family and I went on vacation to the Grand Canyon we stayed at a small motel about 10 miles from the GC, This should happen to no one, number one; the toilet was backed up when we came in, tho whole room stunk, that was fixed about two hours after we called, number two, the bed sheet on my bed was soiled and the mattress was too as I discovered them after the room was apparently done,
number three, the shower basin was dirty, needles to say we did not use it.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Springbok747

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm

The absolute worst place I have ever stayed in was at the Days Inn Concord, NC, just off I-85. The room we were given was filthy, not made up (even though we reached there at 7pm), the shower was leaking, the bathroom lights did not work and the clerk at the reception was so preoccupied with something on TV, he barely reacted when we were complaining. He gave us another room..which was still filthy, but at least the hot water was working (it was like 20F outside)..and we were there only for one night. Absolutely the most horrible place I have ever stayed in..never again.
אני תומך בישראל

Ncfc99

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:04 pm

My wife and I stayed in a SAS Radisson hotel back in 2004. It was out first wedding anniversary and we went to Scotland for a few nights. The hotel messed up the booking and we were put into a standard room rather than the 4-poster I had booked. I didn't complain too much as it had a jacuzzi bath. Got in turned on the jacuzzi to get a hideous smell of stale stagnant water that made you gag.

We were moved to the 4-poster room that I booked for our 2nd night, went for dinner, got back to the room, my wife jumped into bed and put her foot in something, pulled off the sheets to see seaman on my wife's foot. Wife runs to bathroom to decontaminate her foot, I call reception to get the duty manager up to our room ten minutes ago. She comes in and I explain my wife has got into bed and put her foot in some .....er.......er.........er (from the bathroom my wife belloows) I'VE GOT C** ON MY FOOT.
I continued " If you come around here you can see it shining in the light" to which the duty manager replied, "it's OK, I can see it from here" whilst almost gagging. We went to another room, my wife pulled back the duvet to fined creased and crumpled sheets, that bed had not been changed either. The third room was acceptable and we settled down for the night.

I cannot see a SAS hotel without hearing my wife shouting "I've got c** on my foot". We laugh about it now, but it was the worst thing I have come across(pun intended).

Cadet57

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 pm

And that, is why I am a Hilton kinda guy  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Wolverine

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

1993 we were in London with school. I've forgotten the name of the Hotel, maybe it's better to not remember it.

I had a room together with 3 other schoolmates, the beds were just those guestbeds, you can fold together when not in use. Under one bed we found a used shoe, the window couldn't be closed so it got really cold at night. The floor was covered with sand and in a corner of the room there was a cubic made of plastic, that contained a shower. Above the shower the whole ceiling was full of mold. We couldn't use the shower, because there was only ice cold water coming out oft it.

Some other mates found roaches in their rooms and used underwear.
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 10):
On another note, I've heard horror stories about the Chungking Mansion in Hong Kong. Has anyone stayed there?

Nearly, but I opted for another hostel instead on HK Island itself. I think it depends exactly which establishment within Chunking Mansion you stay in, as there are many different hostels located there.

My worst experience was at a Pension in a fairly remote and untraveled part of the Philippines. I was tired and just wanted a bed, so told the rickshaw driver to find me somewhere - well he did, a little backstreet place with a couple of rooms. No running water; shower didn't look as if it had worked in years, toilet didn't flush, whilst the sink didn't work either and had a particularly vicious looking spider living in it. The bed was mainly cardboard with a thin mattress topper on an old frame which creaked like mad every time you moved, and I had to tie my food up to the light fitting in a bag to stop the ants and roaches getting in it. Even better, the door didn't lock and lead straight to the outside - great for a region which the UK Foreign Office suggests you avoid like the plague.

Still, that's what you get for about 50p though I suppose  silly 

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

AGC525

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I love trip advisor, and to a degree most peoples reviews are very opinionated and taken with a grain of salt. But those hotels on the list are absolutely disgusting.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 20):
The absolute worst place I have ever stayed in was at the Days Inn Concord, NC, just off I-85. The room we were given was filthy, not made up (even though we reached there at 7pm), the shower was leaking, the bathroom lights did not work and the clerk at the reception was so preoccupied with something on TV, he barely reacted when we were complaining. He gave us another room..which was still filthy, but at least the hot water was working (it was like 20F outside)..and we were there only for one night. Absolutely the most horrible place I have ever stayed in..never again.

Funny, probably the worst hotel I stayed in I believe was there. I was in Charlotte for a NASCAR race, and I remember the hotel being a dump. I'm 99% sure that was it. I've been pretty fortunate that has been the worse for me.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

jetstar

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
And that, is why I am a Hilton kinda guy

I am to a Hilton Product guy, they keep a good control on their hotels, about the worst problem I have had with a Hilton product is the Hampton Inn at LAX. It just seems a little seedier than it should be.

The worst hotel I have stayed at is the Ramada Inn at PHL, the room there are really bad, the mattress sagged, the carpets were stained so bad I wouldn’t walk bare foot on them, the sink drain was clogged and the chairs stained and worn out.

I wrote a letter of complaint to the manager, he sent me back a letter offering me a 50 percent discount on my next stay, I sent that back to him, saying no thanks, I told him even if you paid me I wouldn’t stay there again. So he sent me coupons to use their park and fly long term parking lot. I sent them back to him and basically told him what he can do with his coupons.

I also read on another airline forum about airline pilots complaining about this hotel.

JetStar

staralliance38

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:26 am

When I went to Europe, my group was diverted from a university dorm to a little old motel. It was really old. Entertainment was a piano and board games in the lobby. One key was given to each room, and it was an old metal key. Showers were dirty, beds were hard, Two channels on the TV. We had a salad in our water. Salmon was gray. Cereal and milk were bitter. Bread was stone hard. Hot coco was questionable. Hallways light were always off till someone turned the switch.

One of the people in our group only knew how to play one song on the piano and it was a depressing song. When we were eating dinner, he came down late and got on the piano and all we could hear was that depressing song to add with our dinner.

it was a shock to find out that was a 3-star hotel in France!
Roar, lion, roar

qantas744

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Butlins Bognor Regis, summer 2008, absolutely the worst holiday I have ever had.

http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/p52844354.html

As if the state of the room wasn't bad enough with it's awful smell and noisy ambience we had to endure poor resort facilities, absolutely dreadful food and bad weather.

The only redeeming feature of Bognor is the train station so that you can leave.
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

OA260
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 25):
I love trip advisor, and to a degree most peoples reviews are very opinionated and taken with a grain of salt. But those hotels on the list are absolutely disgusting.

True. If you have a good experience then you tell a few but if you have a bad one you tell loads, or so the saying goes.

I was looking for a nice average hotel for two nights in Barcelona last year and saw a hotel called the Avinyo in the Gothic area. I read some reviews on Trip Advisor and it put me off. I nearly didnt book it. In the end I went for it and couldnt believe how different my experience was from the comments on Trip Advisor. I have since stayed there again and I have to say I couldnt write a bad comment about it.

lincoln

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 am

Quoting Bananaboy (Reply 15):
Holiday Inn for the next event!

Ugg. While none of my personal experiences come anywhere near the Hotel Carter (which, as an indication of how lousy it is, the City of New York aparently stopped housing homeless people there because of the quality if the Google results are to be beleived), I wouldn't go near a Holiday Inn.

One of my companies affiliates had an arrangement with a Holiday Inn and each of the three times I stayed there the hotel failed to meet my allready-low expectations as far as cleanliness, customer service, or ammenities were concerned (I mean, come on, is expecting -all- of the lights in the room to work unreasonable? How about a room that does not perpetually smell of wet paint? Not being able to hear the bumping-and-thumping [in the bed and in the bathroom] in the next room over?).

Aparently enough other people also complained that that arrangement no longer exists...now they use a Comfort Inn, which isn't anything special (and I'd prefer somewhere where I can get my HHonors points) -- but no complaints.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
And that, is why I am a Hilton kinda guy

Oh God Yes. There are a couple Double Trees and Hampton Inns that I've written off for far less than that. Makes think twice about an unbranded-hotel, though.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

JAChase

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Days Inn, Marietta Georgia. Terrible, terrible.

sna752

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 am

For a cheap hotel in Los Angeles, you should check out The Snooty Fox Inn.
They have mirrors on the ceiling. Cool
The only problem is that it's in South Central LA on Western Ave.

NOT, I repeat, NOT a good idea. I go to the University of Southern California, which is nearby. The Snooty Fox is located on MLK and Western (terrible area, especially at night!!!). And the mirrors- rather fitting- lol.

As students, we are strongly advised not to venture anywhere south of MLK, west of Normandie, north of Adams, or east of the 110. It's just not worth it- trust me. There is a Vagabond Inn on Figueroa which is inexpensive, rather safe, and fun, especially for USC visitors.

Fight On!
Dare to think different.

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 am

Quoting SNA752 (Reply 32):
NOT, I repeat, NOT a good idea. I go to the University of Southern California, which is nearby. The Snooty Fox is located on MLK and Western (terrible area, especially at night!!!). And the mirrors- rather fitting- lol.

As students, we are strongly advised not to venture anywhere south of MLK, west of Normandie, north of Adams, or east of the 110. It's just not worth it- trust me. There is a Vagabond Inn on Figueroa which is inexpensive, rather safe, and fun, especially for USC visitors.

Only someone from the University of Spoiled Children could have came up with that!  Silly
I was wearing expensive alligator boots, lime green suit with pin-stripes and a cape along with my hat & feather and no one tried to rob me!

Just kidding on all of the above! Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

sna752

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):

It's the University of the Second Class- get it right Superfly!

In all seriousness though- it's a sketchy area that should be avoided if at all possible.

Fight On!
Dare to think different.

Superfly

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 am

Quoting SNA752 (Reply 34):
It's the University of the Second Class- get it right Superfly!

2nd. class to UCLA?
LOL!  Silly

Quoting SNA752 (Reply 34):
In all seriousness though- it's a sketchy area that should be avoided if at all possible.

Very true but not too many LA hotels offer hourly rates.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 pm

I've stayed at Number 9 on that list back in August - the Ramada Plaza Hotel at JFK. Not surprised at all that it's up there. The place has an awful musty smell and it sits just a few hundred feet beyond the threshold for 13L - something that was cool when we arrived at 3 PM but wasn't cool when you're trying to sleep that night. I also wasn't happy that after getting off the 11 hour flight from Turkey and then having to deal with Customs & Immigration at JFK that my room was not ready. A few of us had tickets to a Yankees game and I was hoping to shower and freshen up before we left yet it took them so long to clean the room that by the time it was ready, I had enough time to take my suitcase up there, drop it off, and head back down to the lobby to make our way to stadium. From what I recall, the breakfast the next morning when I woke up wasn't all that good either.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

iainbhx

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 26):
I am to a Hilton Product guy, they keep a good control on their hotels, about the worst problem I have had with a Hilton product is the Hampton Inn at LAX. It just seems a little seedier than it should be.

Umm, usually and I speak as an 4 year Diamond member. But I still wouldn't recommend the Hilton Croydon to my worst enemy, the upgrade to the suite was nice. The interesting selection of stains on the room carpet wasn't so nice, nor the well out of code wiring. The chav wedding downstairs made it interesting. I've also had a pretty grotty time in the Hilton Leicester, where there seemed to be more mold than shower curtain. I am told by UK Hilton fans that I have yet to experience the worst, the dreaded Wembley Plaza which is so bad Hilton won't even put their name to it.

However, the worst night I've ever spent was in the Britannia, Manchester or rather part of the night. At 1am my sense of disgust with the room got too much for me and I went and checked into the Novotel up the street.
iainbhx