stasisLAX

Am General/Hummer To Build Next-Gen Taxicabs

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 am

According to LeftLaneNews.com, AM General (the parent of Hummer) has plans to keep its workforce busy and its business viable if GM goes bankrupt. The company plans to build taxi cabs. And while its styling is far from beautiful, the Ford Crown Vic is no supermodel either.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 646 File size: 127kb
AM General "Standard" Taxicab (prototype)

"With the Hummer brand set to be phased out or sold by the end of the month, AM General – producer of the Hummer H2 – is looking for other options to keep its Mishawaka, Indiana plant up and running. The first product likely to fill the H2’s void will be VPG’s ‘Standard Taxi’, which our spies caught out testing today.

After showing early concepts and prototypes as early as 2007, VPG has refined the design of their upcoming Taxi – giving the vehicle a softer and friendlier look.

Working with the General Motors Powertrain folks, as well as Clean Energy Fuels Corporation (for the CNG version) – and with assembly scheduled to start by 2010 at AM General’s Mishawaka, Indiana facility, it appears that the “Standard Taxi” is planning to finish what the (old Checker Marathon) started.

The rear-wheel drive Standard Taxi will be powered by GM’s 4.3-liter V6 that will be “calibrated to taxi-duty cycle” and weighs in at an SUV-like 4,500lbs. And with Ford’s Panther platform set to ride off into the sunset... the Standard Taxi could find itself the new leader of the livery industry."

Source and more photos: http://www.leftlanenews.com/vpg-standard-taxi.html
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MCOflyer

RE: Am General/Hummer To Build Next-Gen Taxicabs

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:19 am

Sounds like a winner if the taxi companies like it as a replacement for their crown vics and explorers. it does look rather odd.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Springbok747

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:21 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
The rear-wheel drive Standard Taxi will be powered by GM’s 4.3-liter V6 that will be “calibrated to taxi-duty cycle” and weighs in at an SUV-like 4,500lbs.

Why the hell would a city-taxi need to be so heavy and have a V6 which guzzles gas? Can't they build something smaller? Looks really ugly also.
אני תומך בישראל

IH8BY

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 am

If you're going to resort to something like that, you might as well adopt the tried-and-tested London Taxi design. Rather more attractive, superbly practical... oh, and it's quite clear that it works.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

mham001

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:29 am

It does seem heavy but it is expected to carry a fair amount of weight. A hybrid system would seem ideal for a city cab but at least they are offering a natural gas option. This should help in the push towards using our own resouces for our transportation. Now, if Obama and Congress would mandate that all new government vehicles run on CNG...

stasisLAX

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
Why the hell would a city-taxi need to be so heavy and have a V6 which guzzles gas?

There's also going to be a CNG version.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Superfly

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 am

Ford Crown Vic is no supermodel either.

Those are fighting words!   

I happen to like the Crown Victoria styling though the Mercury Grand Marquis styling details are better.

Why the hell would a city-taxi need to be so heavy and have a V6 which guzzles gas?

Most taxis here have a V8.
The Ford Crown Victoria is powered by a very efficient 4.6 liter gas V8.

AM General – producer of the Hummer H2 – is looking for other options to keep its Mishawaka, Indiana plant up and running.

Glad to hear they are thinking of ways to come up with a new and very useful vehicle and keep people employed. This is a smart move considering the Ford Panther platform will sadly go out of production in 2010. The Saint Thomas, Ontario plant will close next year and discontinue the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car.

[Edited 2009-03-06 16:46:41]

[Edited 2009-03-06 16:47:32]
Bring back the Concorde

BMI727

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:34 am

Wow this is going back to the future. Here is the story which I found interesting.
In the 1940s, Willys came out with the original jeep. Later they built civilian versions and fleet use versions. All of those US Mail vehicles were built by this company. Eventually Willy's became part of American Motors Corporation (AMC). Then Chrysler bought AMC and the branch that made the military and fleet vehicles was spun off and sold to LTV while Chrysler kept the civilian Jeep brand and still has it to this day. The spun off division called AM General continued to make military vehicles (including the Humvee) and other government vehicles. Later General Motors contacted them and purchased the Hummer name and contracted AM General to build the H1, H2 and H3 while AM General continued production for the government. Now it sounds like the General is done with Hummer and AM General is going back to their roots as a fleet vehicle manufacturer. Sorry if this was long and boring, but I thought that it was interesting.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ltbewr

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:01 am

Most of the new 'yellow' cabs in NY City are hibreds from Nissan, Toyota (Camry), Ford (Escape) and Chevy (Mailbu). The high idle-stuck in traffic rates, caps on use of tunnels with propane/CNG in the NY City area, and much better mileage of about 2 times over Crown Vic's, a critical factor when most cabs are owned or day leased where the driver has to pay for all gas have cause their populary to soar. Diesel engines are virtually banned for cab use in NY City after terrible issues with them in cabs back in the 1980's.
This proposed cab seems to look like a lot like a oversized Honda Element. It's too bad they didn't go for a hybred design. Problem is that will cab drivers buy such a unique vehicle, probalby more expensive to buy or operate than those vehicles used for cabs in NY City.

BMI727

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:20 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 8):
Diesel engines are virtually banned for cab use in NY City after terrible issues with them in cabs back in the 1980's.

That's a shame because the diesel engines of the 80s and now are like night and day.

Moose135

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 am

My money says they won't last as long as NYC taxis as the old Checkers did!
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Dreadnought

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:56 am

Why the hell would a city-taxi need to be so heavy and have a V6 which guzzles gas? Can't they build something smaller? Looks really ugly also.

They should acquire the licence to build London Taxis in the US.

Turns on a dime, economical (between 25 and 28 mpg in town) seats five passengers comfortably, wheelchair-friendly, and designed to last 600,000 miles. No other car in the world can match it.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

stasisLAX

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:16 am

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 10):
My money says they won't last as long as NYC taxis as the old Checkers did!

That's AM General's idea - they want to make a purpose-built vehicle to replace the old-style Checker taxi with updated technology. The whole idea with taxis is that they take a trememdous beating and be able to last for many years, while being very cheap to maintain.

Superfly

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:19 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Wow this is going back to the future. Here is the story which I found interesting.
In the 1940s, Willys came out with the original jeep. Later they built civilian versions and fleet use versions. All of those US Mail vehicles were built by this company. Eventually Willy's became part of American Motors Corporation (AMC). Then Chrysler bought AMC and the branch that made the military and fleet vehicles was spun off and sold to LTV while Chrysler kept the civilian Jeep brand and still has it to this day. The spun off division called AM General continued to make military vehicles (including the Humvee) and other government vehicles. Later General Motors contacted them and purchased the Hummer name and contracted AM General to build the H1, H2 and H3 while AM General continued production for the government. Now it sounds like the General is done with Hummer and AM General is going back to their roots as a fleet vehicle manufacturer. Sorry if this was long and boring, but I thought that it was interesting.

No call talk could be long & boring.
That was a great summary actually of the industry.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):
Diesel engines are virtually banned for cab use in NY City after terrible issues with them in cabs back in the 1980's.

That's a shame because the diesel engines of the 80s and now are like night and day.

Here they using those gas/diesel conversion Chevrolet Caprice as a taxi?
Which models did they use in the 1980s?
If that was the case, that is a terrible example of a diesel engine.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingSicilian

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:37 am

The Ford Crown Vic is a SI covermodel compared to this, my two cents.
Blah on styling.

I'd heard a rumour Ford was going to a offer a wheelbase plug in the new Taurus for both Cop cars and cabs (similar to the plug offered in the Crown Victoria). Anyone heard news on that?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

BMI727

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:44 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 14):
I'd heard a rumour Ford was going to a offer a wheelbase plug in the new Taurus for both Cop cars and cabs (similar to the plug offered in the Crown Victoria). Anyone heard news on that

No actually. My first thought would be that the Taurus would be okay for taxis but poor for police use. It is unibody so it is more difficult to repair and I doubt that the car is robust enough in general. I think that the police departments have a pretty good alternative in the Dodge Charger and Chevy Impala.

Superfly

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:33 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 15):
Chevy Impala.

Chevrolet Impala has the same shortcomings of a Ford Taurus.
They are both front-wheel drive.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
The Ford Crown Victoria is powered by a very efficient 4.6 liter gas V8.

Very efficient compared to what? It's a big heavy car with a petrol V8, this is not a fuel efficient vehicle.

Superfly

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:53 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 17):
Very efficient compared to what?

Efficient compared to other 6-passenger vehicles. Very reliable, tested and proven powertrain, parts are cheap due to shared parts with other Ford vehicles. All are a huge plus with taxi companies. Sure there are more efficient vehicles in terms of fuel economy but very expensive to maintain and repair and don't last as long.
They can take lots of abuse as these are still the car of choice among police departments. Also a plus with taxi fleets.
Finally, the Ford 4.6 liter V8 is probably the most fuel efficient V8 gas engine on the market.
It gets the same if not better mileage as a V6 and even some turbocharged 4-bangers.
17/25.
Not a gas sipper but not a gas-guzzler either.
Bring back the Concorde

Alessandro

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:21 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 11):

Turns on a dime, economical (between 25 and 28 mpg in town) seats five passengers comfortably, wheelchair-friendly, and designed to last 600,000 miles. No other car in the world can match it.

Yes, RWD and I think they got Italian commonrail diesel engine?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Alessandro

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:23 am

Here the Toyota Prius is quite popular as cab, bigger cabs are often Mercedes, Citroën, SAAB and Volvo.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

baroque

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 pm

To judge from your picture, they have in many respects just copied one, but as Alessandro writes they forgot to ask about the engine!

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 21):
To judge from your picture, they have in many respects just copied one, but as Alessandro writes they forgot to ask about the engine!

It looks like an update of the unloved and short lived Metrocab.

PPVRA

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm

To judge from your picture, they have in many respects just copied one

That's what I was thinking too. Very similar overall, and IMHO it needs to be larger to have a chance in the U.S. market.

Glad to hear they are thinking of ways to come up with a new and very useful vehicle and keep people employed.

checkmark  It seems to me like an overall great idea. I hope they are successful.

Atlanta taxi cabs look to be in desperate need of replacement.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Flighty

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
17/25.
Not a gas sipper but not a gas-guzzler either.

Doubt any cops are getting 17 MPG....

Another roomy Ford sedan gets what, 41/36 MPG, the Fusion Hybrid.

No, I'm not a broken record, but for livery or fleets that operate (esp urban areas), running 12, or 18 hour days, the savings would be really a lot. A taxi running to 200,000 miles could save half its fuel, some 5,000 gallons by running hybrid. This could be as much as $10k, $15k. Plus less brake wear. So I am still a believer that hybrid is tailor made for urban fleet users like cops and taxis.

Airlines run into these problems all the time. When a fuel saver like winglets come on the market, they spring for it, they love that stuff. Also, they fly the smallest equipment that can accomplish the mission (70 seat CRJ instead of 757, if your mission is under 70 passengers). They don't try to over-rationalize, that's what I like about airlines. They just buy what they need.

Superfly

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 24):
Doubt any cops are getting 17 MPG..

Of course not, they always have their foot to the floor.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 24):
41/36 MPG, the Fusion Hybrid.

Repair cost are a lot higher. It's not just about gas mileage.
Bring back the Concorde

Dreadnought

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 22):

It looks like an update of the unloved and short lived Metrocab.

Like I said, it has an engine designed for very long life. They are free to replace it with a non-diesel if they like.

But London has always had the best taxicabs in the world. Why not licence it and take advantage of a solid, proven design that has already carried millions upon millions of passengers?

The LTI pictured has nothing to do with Metrocab, which as I recall was Austin.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

jetstar

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Later General Motors contacted them and purchased the Hummer name

I believe GM only leased the use of the Hummer name when they started to sell the H1.

JetStar

stasisLAX

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 27):
I believe GM only leased the use of the Hummer name when they started to sell the H1.

Correct - GM has marketing rights to the Hummer name. AM General began civilian production the HUMMER H1 in the early 90s after the Gulf War. AM General sold the marketing rights to HUMMER to GM in 1999, and continued to produce the H2 for General Motors.

galapagapop

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:07 am

There will never been purpose built taxi that can even come close to the reliability and ruggedness of Checker Marathon. A new build cab will be much more complex than an old Checker, which is how it was easy on maintenance. If only they were still made today......

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:36 am

Cool design; Can we import one to the US? I'd like to get one as a daily driver.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Superfly

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 29):
There will never been purpose built taxi that can even come close to the reliability and ruggedness of Checker Marathon.

checkmark 

There are a few Checker owners here in town and even a few Checker taxi cabs. I couldn't believe it when I saw it last summer.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 pm

There will never been purpose built taxi that can even come close to the reliability and ruggedness of Checker Marathon. A new build cab will be much more complex than an old Checker, which is how it was easy on maintenance. If only they were still made today......

Have you ever been in one of the new london taxis the TX4, those have got to every bit as ruggard as a Marathon, they are about as basic a car as you can get, one diesel lump in the front, 5 speed auto or manual tranny, 25ft turning circle, wheelchair access, setting for 5 passangers plus driver, probably the best taxi you can get.

Big version: Width: 534 Height: 308 File size: 33kb

BMI727

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 27):

I remember reading that GM was adamant about actually owning the Hummer name and not just licensing it.

galapagapop

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 32):
Have you ever been in one of the new london taxis the TX4, those have got to every bit as ruggard as a Marathon, they are about as basic a car as you can get, one diesel lump in the front, 5 speed auto or manual tranny, 25ft turning circle, wheelchair access, setting for 5 passangers plus driver, probably the best taxi you can get.

As nice as those features are, remember the Checker A-11 was last produced in 1982. The last car off the line in September, 1982, was virtually no different then the ones rolling off the line in 1965. All the things those London Taxi's have is a product of the innovation and legend of Checkers. Jump seats, no tranny bump, wheelchair access, rugged fully boxed frame and low maintenance, were the benchmarks set by Checker for the taxi industry that are just being met today. You want simplicity? Checker, after already producing the A11 (and earlier A-8) for almost 10 years, removed the water temp, oil pressure, and volt gauges to simplify the console of the car, leaving just the Speedometer, and gas gauge. Known simply as the dummy gauges. Checker didn't have fuel injection, or any sort of advanced wiring harness until 1980. Every part (outside of the windshield perhaps), was easily replaced and installed in hours. No car will ever be as simple to run and work on as a Checker, PERIOD. Comparing the two is apples and oranges when we talk about an A-11 and a new London taxi. And no car, and I mean no car will ever come close to the amount of space one can find in the backseat of a Checker cab (Trust me on this one). Don't let looks deceive you, there was a reason that for years large family's in NY and around the country loved the ability to pile everyone into one car to go to church or where ever.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
There are a few Checker owners here in town and even a few Checker taxi cabs. I couldn't believe it when I saw it last summer.

Just fired up the 82' A-11 for the first time in 2009, and she purred like a kitty, wouldn't even had known she sat outside in the cold CT winter all this time.  Wink

You'd be surprised at the number that keep coming out of the woodwork from people who retired in the 70's and 80's, bought a Checker, drove it maybe 40-60k and babied it. As long as there are those passionate about Checkers, like myself, they will never die, and their legend will continue to live on.

I would have taken one today, but the weather blew, so here's an older photo:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8941/january08183.jpg

Cheers!

bok269

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:41 am

It looks like the Standard Taxi concept unveiled two years ago at the New York Auto show:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007/4/nyc-future-taxi.jpg
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:24 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 34):
As nice as those features are, remember the Checker A-11 was last produced in 1982. The last car off the line in September, 1982, was virtually no different then the ones rolling off the line in 1965. All the things those London Taxi's have is a product of the innovation and legend of Checkers.

The Austin FX4 the classic London taxi was in production from 1958 to 1997 when it was replaced by the TX1. A lot of the features on the FX4 were found on the FX3 which was produced from 1948 to 1958.

jush

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 am

You are completely right. Why the hell would they want to put a 4.3 liter engine in a cab.
Maybe because they get some 100 hp out of that. They should learn proper engine engineering.
You can get enough hp out of a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. Anyway, doubt they will even have a chance on the cab market as this product looks rubbish, to say the least.
Even New York buys fuel efficient hybrid cabs nowadays. No one buys a fuel guzzling ugly cab, I reckon.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

columba

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 35):
It looks like the Standard Taxi concept unveiled two years ago at the New York Auto show:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2007/4/nyc-future-taxi.jpg

what an ugly shoe box, I would vote for a new design that bring back the look of the old checker cab which is NYC classic,
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

L410Turbolet

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:28 am

As nice as those features are, remember the Checker A-11 was last produced in 1982. The last car off the line in September, 1982, was virtually no different then the ones rolling off the line in 1965. All the things those London Taxi's have is a product of the innovation and legend of Checkers.

AFAIK, the London Taxi was around decades before there was any Checker.
But I guess claims such as this one should be expected, coming from a country that - according to Obama - supposedly "invented automobile"  Yeah sure (and they laughed at Bush being stupid...)

Ford 4.6 liter V8 is probably the most fuel efficient V8 gas engine on the market.

What is the point of a V8 in a cab? "Burning rubber" going from one red light to another, keeping yourself warm sitting in front of a airport terminal...???

Efficient compared to other 6-passenger vehicles.

But the cabbies won't let you sit on the front seat in the US, will they? We're talking in fact about a 3-pax + driver vehicle

baroque

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 23):
To judge from your picture, they have in many respects just copied one

That's what I was thinking too. Very similar overall, and IMHO it needs to be larger to have a chance in the U.S. market.

I would ask why it would have to be larger to have a chance in the US but I can barely write for laughing, and then I realised that Australians are now about second largest after the US, so that slowed me down. But more seriously, what the US needs to work out is how to get the amount of space they include with metal and linings as useful space. The inside room in a London taxi is humongous.

Reminds me of an interview on car design with Issigonis (Mini fame) and the then designer of Ford UK. Issigonis explained how he took the volume for four adults sitting comfortably added the mechanicals and gave the geometry to a designer to see if he could make the outside look OK.

The Ford guy took a piece of paper, and at that stage drew coke bottles and thrusting wings, and doors and windows to follow the company design themes and then gave the shape to the engineers to see if they could fit in an engine and seats. Not sure if anyone every wondered about people.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 39):
and they laughed at Bush being stupid..

Well yes we did, quite a lot, but fair suck of the sauce bottle, we have been in hysterics at learning of the pioneer work in the US on ALL things automobile. Someone should write to let him know that the French did most in the development of the airplane from the Wright Flyer to practical airplanes just in case he makes a blunder with Sarkozy while chatting about Airbus.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:56 pm

But the cabbies won't let you sit on the front seat in the US, will they? We're talking in fact about a 3-pax + driver vehicle

Not necessarily. I've sat shotgun in an NYC Taxi before as well as a few other cities.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

baroque

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 41):

Not necessarily. I've sat shotgun in an NYC Taxi before as well as a few other cities.

http://www.hastings.gov.uk/taxis/public_information.aspx

How about 6 seats in a London taxi?

According to this
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...AndPrivateHireVehicles/DG_10036418
up to 8 seats. Please move further down the taxi, any more fares, any more fares?

D L X

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 23):
Atlanta taxi cabs look to be in desperate need of replacement.

You should come to DC!

Seriously, our cabs are a blight on our otherwise beautiful city. There is no uniformity, and most cabs are old junkers that you would have sold 15-20 years ago.

IH8BY

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 42):

According to this
up to 8 seats. Please move further down the taxi, any more fares, any more fares?

If it's up to 8 seats, it's more likely to be something like a Ford Transit. More unusual for taxis (hackney carriages - i.e. that you can hail on the spot or at a rank) than it is for Private Hire Vehicles, which have to be pre-booked. Whilst taxis are often the LTI TX or Austin FX series purpose-built taxis, Private Hire Vehicles could be any car.

For higher capacity, it's often either a Mercedes Vito, VW Caravelle/Transporter, or Ford Tourneo/Transit.

Popular cars for normal size PHVs include:
Peugeot 406
VW Passat
Skoda Superb (becoming increasingly popular - like the Passat, only less expensive to buy but with more legroom)
Skoda Octavia

Taxis and PHVs are almost always diesels (between 1.9 and 2.5 usually).

[Edited 2009-03-09 08:03:07]
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

baroque

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 44):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 42):

According to this

If it's up to 8 seats, it's more likely to be something like a Ford Transit. More unusual for taxis (hackney carriages - i.e. that you can hail on the spot or at a rank) than it is for Private Hire Vehicles, which have to be pre-booked. Whilst taxis are often the LTI TX or Austin FX series purpose-built taxis, Private Hire Vehicles could be any car.

I put that up to get a UK reply. The site I quoted has a pic of a London taxi and then next to it:

"Both taxis and PHVs have a maximum of eight passenger seats."

The five/six I know about, but tis near a decade since I was in a London taxi so I cannot be sure about 8. I know there is an ocean of room inside a London taxi even with the jump seats (or whatever you call them) occupied.

This site prefers 5 seats, only two jump seats
http://www.motor-cross.ca/plentyofroom.html

But definitely 5. And if you made them longer, aside from wrecking the turning circle, I imagine you would end up with an additional row of seats, so two or three more.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 40):
Someone should write to let him know that the French did most in the development of the airplane from the Wright Flyer to practical airplanes just in case he makes a blunder with Sarkozy while chatting about Airbus.

Or if he ever gets to speak to John Keys we could tell him that Richard Pearce acieved powered flight on the 31st March 1903 when he got off the ground and flew 350 yards.

PHLBOS

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

IIRC, it was the CAFE laws and its associated fines and costs that ultimately lead to Checker's demise. For those that may not know, like it or not CAFE laws have always been applied to ANY mass-produced vehicle over a certain number of units. So even though Checker's clientelle in its final years was nearly 100% commercial/fleet/taxi (as opposed to retail), it was still subject to CAFE laws and related fines or associated gas-guzzler taxes. If large cabs are the only vehicles in one's fleet, those penalty costs can get expensive over time.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 41):

That all depends on either the taxi driver or the individual taxi company's policy.

Ford 4.6 liter V8 is probably the most fuel efficient V8 gas engine on the market.

What is the point of a V8 in a cab? "Burning rubber" going from one red light to another, keeping yourself warm sitting in front of a airport terminal...???

Do keep in mind that many taxi vehicles are larger vehicles that have associated heavier curb weights than most passenger cars out there. Even some of the minivans and small SUVs (both domestic AND IMPORT) that are now being used as cabs in the U.S. have at least a 3500 lb curb weight. The larger engine is necessary to move the vehicle especially if it's loaded with passengers AND luggage.

The rear-wheel drive Standard Taxi will be powered by GM’s 4.3-liter V6 that will be “calibrated to taxi-duty cycle” and weighs in at an SUV-like 4,500lbs

This thing's actually about 500 to 600 hundred lbs. HEAVIER than the current Crown Vic.

The rear-wheel drive Standard Taxi will be powered by GM’s 4.3-liter V6 that will be “calibrated to taxi-duty cycle” and weighs in at an SUV-like 4,500lbs.

See my above-comment. One needs to keep in mind, that there have been many occasions where a 'fare' includes transporting SEVERAL passengers AND their LUGGAGE to their destination as opposed to just one individual. Similar to many airlines out there, some cab companies may have several vehicle types in their fleet depending on market needs; the downside to this is associated operating costs. One reason WHY taxi companies usually stick w/one vehicle type or model (like what WN does w/their 737s) is due the associated lower costs and fleet simplicity. A large sedan like a Crown Vic usually allows a cab companies to accomodate most passengers' needs while staying with one common vehicle type. In short, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):

Here they using those gas/diesel conversion Chevrolet Caprice as a taxi?
Which models did they use in the 1980s?
If that was the case, that is a terrible example of a diesel engine.

True, but other than Audi (?), Mercedes, VW and Pugeuot (sp.), who else was importing diesel cars in the states back in the 1980s? My guess would be that any diesel Caprice cabs NYC had back in the 80s were probably new builds as opposed to converted models. Did any such converted models actually exist? IIRC, most diesels were probably converted BACK to gasoline models.

Glad to hear they are thinking of ways to come up with a new and very useful vehicle and keep people employed. This is a smart move considering the Ford Panther platform will sadly go out of production in 2010.

The only issue I presently see is, like the Checker, the future CAFE increases could be this vehicle's undoing... unless there's diesel and hybrid version's available.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 5):
There's also going to be a CNG version.

IIRC, there's been a CNG version of the Crown Vic taxi available for years.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

baroque

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 46):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 40):
Someone should write to let him know that the French did most in the development of the airplane from the Wright Flyer to practical airplanes just in case he makes a blunder with Sarkozy while chatting about Airbus.

Or if he ever gets to speak to John Keys we could tell him that Richard Pearce achieved powered flight on the 31st March 1903 when he got off the ground and flew 350 yards.

Ah well that is a whole other story in which Lawrence Hargrave should figure but seldom does.  Big grin I will bet Obama will manage the rest of his hopefully long life without ever hearing about Hargrave, he might just get to hear about Pearce if he visits you know where!

Superfly

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Just fired up the 82' A-11 for the first time in 2009, and she purred like a kitty,

Absolutely gorgeous!  Cool

But the cabbies won't let you sit on the front seat in the US, will they?

Yes they do.

What is the point of a V8 in a cab?

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 47):
Do keep in mind that many taxi vehicles are larger vehicles that have associated heavier curb weights than most passenger cars out there. Even some of the minivans and small SUVs (both domestic AND IMPORT) that are now being used as cabs in the U.S. have at least a 3500 lb curb weight. The larger engine is necessary to move the vehicle especially if it's loaded with passengers AND luggage.

checkmark 
Thanks for answering that PHLBOS.
Also, the minivans are mostly front-wheel drive and the smaller engine and less durable transmission aren't as reliable and don't last as long. The Ford Crown Victoria is the most sold and reliable vehicle for commercial use.
It just so happens to have a V8.
Not all V8's are meant to "burn-rubber" either.

Quoting D L X (Reply 43):
You should come to DC!

Seriously, our cabs are a blight on our otherwise beautiful city. There is no uniformity, and most cabs are old junkers that you would have sold 15-20 years ago.

I like DC cabs.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde