LHMark

Anyone Here Play Irish Traditional Music?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

Over the past six months, I've devoted a hefty chunk of time to learning the concertina. At first it was just to play in my Irish pub rock band, but as I've grown familiar with the instrument, my interest in traditional Irish folk music has grown as well. I've learned several tunes with more on the way.

Anyone else here play this stuff?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

SmithAir747

RE: Anyone Here Play Irish Traditional Music?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:42 am

Hi!

As a first-generation Irish-American, I do play quite a bit of Irish traditional music, on both piano and violin.

Even my violin is about as Irish as me!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/SmithAlien747/francis-1A.jpg

I've even been known to play a green piano often...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/SmithAlien747/DSCF3639.jpg

I have played several arrangements (including my own) of Danny Boy (even a jazz version of it), as well as several arrangements of Be Thou My Vision (a favourite hymn of mine), My Wild Irish Rose, and a really old piece known as "Si Bheg Si Mhor", written by Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738).

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

LHMark

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I've been working on Si Bheg Si Mhor, and finally can get all the way through "Banish Misfortune" with steady rhythm at a good tempo. Nice fiddle.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

EISHN

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Used to play the tinwhistle. The only thing we ever played was "the Siege of Ennis" (probably has something to do with the fact that we live in Ennis. If you want to hear some great stuff, the i suggest Moving Hearts, they're fusion, and absolutely stunning. I saw them live January last year and just WOW.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky