Fly2HMO

Friday's Stupid Thread: Favorite Windshield Wiper?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 am

So I was driving along the rain to day and was marveling at how good my Bosch Icon wipers are. They leave no streaks whatsoever and they never hop along the windshield or make that annoying squeaking sound. Not to mention they are super quiet (aerodynamically) at high speeds. They were well worth the $45 bucks. The main reason I bought them was, well, the brand for one, as Bosch is probably the best autopart and OEM supplier out there, not to mention VW, BMW and MB ship their cars with these wipers from the factory. Also, my best friend's GTI still has the original ones and they still wipe as good as if they were new. They work great with snow or ice too.

Before the Icons though I had Michelin's spin-off of Bosch's bracket-less wipers. They were cheaper but they were crap. Within two months they started squeaking, hopping across the windshield and leaving streaks. I trashed them right away and got the Icons. A wise investment.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon

[Edited 2009-03-13 17:25:28]

[Edited 2009-03-13 17:25:56]

lhr380

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread: Favorite Windshield Wiper?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:33 am

One that works would be my answer to this question  Smile
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Cadet57

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:12 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 1):
One that works would be my answer to this question

checkmark 

my $10.99 Rain-x autozone specials haven't failed me yet.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

bohica

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:20 am

The Anco wiper blades at approx $8.99 work fine on my car.

Molykote

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:56 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Thread starter):
marveling at how good my Bosch Icon wipers are.

I've had a few pairs of Icons on my vehicles (BMW 3 series, Lexus ES, and Mazda MX-5). In all cases, I think the Icons are unremarkable.

On my BMW in particular, the Icons (multiple pairs) tend to chatter and fail to adequately wipe the lower driver's side area of the windshield. I never thought that I'd be defending a BMW dealer, but I must admit that the BMW wiper "blanks" (must be trimmed to length) are the best value available for my car at $6 per pair. The only reason I've used multiple sets of Icons on my car is that ice is much more easily removed from "beam" type wipers than the hinged counterparts.

To be fair, Bosch and the auto parts stores don't officially recognize an Icon blade for my BMW. This fact is probably inconsequential given that most wipers are simply specified in terms of length and "offset". "Offset" is my own term used to explain the 422A and 422B suffixes (in which "22" is the wiper inch length and A/B apparently represents the hinge point of the wipres).

I'm fully willing to pay a premium for a superior product but the Icon (in my experience) simply doesn't perform better or offer ecomomic benefits. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to car parts (and cars) but, in the case of wipers, I haven't found a solution better than replacing wipers often (at which point cheaper ones make more sense due to not only the dollar outlay but also the time averaged performance).

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...=1834332&s=molykote+icon#ID1834332
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):

Same here. I'll be getting another pair soon enough.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

NWOrientDC10

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Thread starter):
Favorite Windshield Wiper?

checkmark 

Quoting Bohica (Reply 3):
The Anco wiper blades at approx $8.99 work fine on my car.

This is an interesting topic. I just bought a set of Anco wipers for $4.87 (+8% tax) each or $9.74 for both last week.
Things aren't always as they seem

steeler83

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 am

Same here, and I just got a new pair meself...  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

aerobalance

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):

Threw a pair of these on the truck the other day, seem to be ok.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

HT

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 pm

About once a year I replace the front wipers with a fairly cheap set, but not those super-cheap ones, that are a) a nuisance to install as the adaptors never work and b) appear to be quite instable machanically.
I am not a brand-hog, but if Bosch has a decent offer (and they are in stock in the shop I usually buy) I use them.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !