waterpolodan

Anyone Been On An Airboat Ride?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:36 am

It's my lady friend's birthday tomorrow and I discovered while camping with her a couple weeks ago in the everglades that she has never been on an airboat ride (we live in Miami, btw). Anyway, she wanted to go on one but it's literally been 10 years since I've been on one of those things, so I was wondering if anyone has been on such a ride in the Dade county area in recent times and whether they would recommend a specific place for the best ride or whatnot...

Springbok747

RE: Anyone Been On An Airboat Ride?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:09 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Thread starter):
, so I was wondering if anyone has been on such a ride

Well..not in the US but in Oz's Northern Territory. It is a freaking fantastic ride!

Sorry..couldn't resist posting some pictures..it was an amazing experience Big grin

I guess Florida's swamps will also be similar...with more gators!
אני תומך בישראל

KFLLCFII

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Thread starter):
a specific place for the best ride or whatnot...

Everglades Holiday Park...Right at the end of Griffin Road just west of US-27 in southern Broward:

http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/airboats.html
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Dreadnought

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 am

My dad owned an airboat when I was a teen. 23 foot long, as I recall, with a supercharged Chevy 454 rat-motor (dyno'd at about 700 hp) driving a 4-bladed prop, custom-bult by a guy in Rockport, TX. The thing was an absolute beast! We used to terrorize Matagorda Bay on the way to and from our duck hunting and fishing spots.

One very important feature my dad insisted on was a pair of aluminium rails that went from each side of the bow to the top of the prop cage. This was installed after we heard of a guy nearby who lost his legs after his airboat encountered some barbed wire. The rails would ensure that such obstacles would not hit anyone in the boat. I'm still amazed that all the airboats you see around don't have that simple safety feature.

Edit: I just have to add this part - one of the most fun parts of an airboat = getting it on a trailer on a fairly steep ramp. You see all the other guys at the ramp cranking their boats heavy boats out with the winch. With ours, back the trailer till the back rollers barely touch the water, and just power up the slope with the motor. 23 footer out of the water, hooked and driving away in about 30 seconds.

[Edited 2009-03-14 18:50:55]
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

RussianJet

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):
My dad owned an airboat when I was a teen. 23 foot long, as I recall, with a supercharged Chevy 454 rat-motor (dyno'd at about 700 hp) driving a 4-bladed prop, custom-bult by a guy in Rockport, TX. The thing was an absolute beast! We used to terrorize Matagorda Bay on the way to and from our duck hunting and fishing spots.

Say, I don't suppose your dad was some kind of cop or ranger, and you had a tame yet massive pet bear who somehow always ended up saving the day whenever you got involved in one of your numerous adventures?

Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to ride on an airboat.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

csavel

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:36 pm

i did on a tour of the everglades when I was a kid.

lot's of fun. Really loud though.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Dreadnought

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 4):
Say, I don't suppose your dad was some kind of cop or ranger,

Nope. Just an engineer. When we originally got the boat, it had an atmospheric Chevy 350, and found it underpowered. Once we put in the 454 it was most definately OVERpowered.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.