Tugger
Topic Author

Why Do Smokers Throw Their Butts On The Ground?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Why do some people think it is OK to toss cigarette butts on the ground?

I've watched people tossing them from their cars as they drive, as they are walking, and even saw it on a national "reality" police program where a Sargent at a crash investigation threw one into the street saying "OK breaks over, time to get to work".

I have told people at stop lights "hey, you dropped something" and several have, embarrassed, opened their doors and picked it up (and many have looked at me as some freak and driven off). I have gotten out of my car gone and picked up the butt and handed it to the person (twice so far) saying "you dropped this" (as they take it from me staring with wide eyes in concern of what this obviously crazy person will do next). I have asked people as they walk away from the cigarette butt why they dropped and did they know they should throw it away? I try to make it public and make people aware that this "habit" (which how one person described it before sheepishly picking up the discarded butt) it is seen and not acceptable.

My sister smokes and when she is done she (and her husband) will roll the cherry off the cigarette, mash it out, then pocket the butt if needed until a receptacle is available, this is they way any smoker should be. I mean cars (until recently) have ashtrays, many public trash cans have sand to put out a cigarette, and always there is a choice. Why do so many smokers think it is OK to just flick it away onto the ground?

Tugg

[Edited 2009-03-15 14:04:26]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

ClassicLover

RE: Why Do Smokers Throw Their Butts On The Ground?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
Why do so many smokers think it is OK to just flick it away onto the ground?

Convenience really...

Yeah it's sucky, but sometimes there just aren't any bins!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

ACDC8

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I never keep the butt on me, putting it in your pocket just reeks even more which other people start complaining about, especially the person doing you laundry .... Big grin If I'm not around a trash can, I'll usually look around to find one and toss it in otherwise, if I do have to throw it on the ground, I grind the hell out of it with my foot so theres very little left.

I usually try to smoke around a trash can, that way when I'm done I'll snuff it out (and double check to make sure its out and not hot anymore) and toss it in. I rarely smoke in my car, but on the odd occasion that I do, I'll usually have an empty paper cup in the car and putt a bit of water or other beverage in it so I just use it as an ashtray, and when I get out of the car, I just grab it and throw it in the trash.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Dougloid

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Perhaps the point could be made by whipping our drawers down and placing a reeking, steaming turd on their desks. Hmmm?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ACDC8

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:47 pm

I mean cars (until recently) have ashtrays, many public trash cans have sand to put out a cigarette, and always there is a choice. Why do so many smokers think it is OK to just flick it away onto the ground?

Here's a bit of a problem though, most establishments (at least in Canada) want to discourage people from smoking, so ashtrays are being removed left, right and center making it very difficult for those of us who are responsible in getting rid of our butts. To add to this, those holier-than-thou non-smokers who always need to make some sort of self righteous point will bitch at you no matter what you do. If you throw it on the ground, they'll bitch that thats disgusting and littering. If you throw it in the trash, they'll bitch that thats not what the trash is for. If you keep it on your person, they'll bitch that you stink and they shouldn't have to put up with the smell. More or less, its a constant fight.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I always try and do the most considerate way of extinguishing my butt.

But let me ask you a question, why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do? I'm not talking about you personally, so no need to get your defenses up (yet  Wink ), just a general question.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Falcon84

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 pm

They don't mind blowing that crap in your face, do they? Why would they worry about throwing their trash on the ground?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Molykote

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I've wondered about this for years. I'm not sure why so many people think that it's ok. If I threw a coffee cup or bottle cap out of my window I'd certainly expect a littering fine.

Given the amount of butts on the side of the road, on the ground at smokers' congregation points, and that I see flying out of people's cars at night, it seems to be a very common behavior among smokers.

I have a strong personal distaste for smoking but I respect the right of others to smoke (at appropriate times and places). However, this littering habit seems wide spread and generally tolerated.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
Here's a bit of a problem though, most establishments (at least in Canada) want to discourage people from smoking, so ashtrays are being removed left, right and center making it very difficult for those of us who are responsible in getting rid of our butts. To add to this, those holier-than-thou non-smokers who always need to make some sort of self righteous point will bitch at you no matter what you do. If you throw it on the ground, they'll bitch that thats disgusting and littering. If you throw it in the trash, they'll bitch that thats not what the trash is for. If you keep it on your person, they'll bitch that you stink and they shouldn't have to put up with the smell. More or less, its a constant fight.

I don't care if you smoke but this seems like a weak argument. If you can't safely discard your butt in the trash (and I'm not saying you can't depending on circumstances), you are apparently left with 2 alternatives - holding it on your person, or throwing it on the ground.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I always try and do the most considerate way of extinguishing my butt.

Of the options you outlined, I'd suggest keeping them in your pocket until they can be safely disposed of in the trash. Provided your butt is properly extinguished and that you aren't causing a safety hazard, I see no problem with using the trash can. If you get as much shit about it as you claim, either explain your options or ignore those who have an issue with it.

An alternative would be keeping some sort of container or bag on your person to avoid risking a trash fire (if this is realistic), littering, and thirdly (in this order) reducing your personal smell. If you're carring cigarettes and a lighter anyway it's probably not much of a burden to put your used butts back in the cigarette package or in a bag.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
But let me ask you a question, why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do?

I've got no problem with you or anyone else smoking provided that it's not compromising the health of others around you. I can tolerate a bit of a smell as I don't consider this any more offensive than a number of other annoying public behaviors (loud protests, street performers, etc).

I have mixed feelings on smoking in "public" establishments such as bars and restaurants. Although I respect the owner's right to do what they wish with their business. At the same time, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere if smoking, noise, etc is to the point where I'm not going to have a pleasureable experience. I certainly don't expect a business to change based on my preferences alone.

The flip side of this is that workers are affected in many smoking establishments. Granted, they have the option of not working in a bar where smoking is allowed but this goes beyond a matter of personal preference and reaches the point where a safe workplace is not provided by the employer. I've worked in the potentially hazardous (but ultimately safe, IMO) nuclear industry but the metering and precautions taken to protect employees are numerous and strictly applied. I am not aware of any such "uptake/exposure" system applied to other hazardous workspaces such as a smoky bar.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

seb146

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 am

Interesting topic. As a former smoker who, yes, had thrown my fair share of butts on the ground, I can only speak for myself when I say: what else was I going to do with it? Walking down the street, I am finished smoking, so I just flick it into the gutter and let the water treatment facility or the street sweeper deal with the rest. Some butts are made from synthetic fibers, so they take a long time to decompose anyway. Plus, there are the carcenogens and toxins clinging to the filter. I don't know. But, I do know ashtrays are few and far between.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do?

Interesting comment. I have found, around here, anyway, the ones that complain the loudest are former smokers who have kicked the habit within the past two years. I sometimes side with the smoker. They are going through enough banishment, they don't need the added lecturing. Oregon is now thinking about banning smoking in cars when children are present. Are you freakin' kidding me? We need to protect kids, but that just seems a bit much to me.
Life in the wall is a drag.

mdsh00

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:01 am

Just being inconsiderate. When I was walking to the hospital one day I saw someone finish his cigarette and flick it a good 10 feet towards a van sitting on idle. I could see the smoldering butt hit and bounce against the tire.

I thought what the f**k? Is there something so wrong as to walking a couple feet over to the cigarette receptacle and putting it out there (there was one almost right next to him), rather than flick it across the sidewalk?

Stupid
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Falcon84

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:02 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 8):
Plus, there are the carcenogens and toxins clinging to the filter.

As well as your lungs, throat, mouth, lips, etc.  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

mirrodie

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:44 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
They are inconsiderate *ssholes. What else? When people don't care about other people they do these things.

Exactly.

I'm sure some smokers here might be offended, but c'est la vie. There is simply no reason for it.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Molykote

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:51 am

Interesting comment. I have found, around here, anyway, the ones that complain the loudest are former smokers who have kicked the habit within the past two years.

In fairness, this type of behavior isn't confined to smokers. I have relatives who have been through rehab (drugs and alcohol) and are among the most "high and mighty" out there.

greasespot

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 am

I am fortunate that i am in a job that i can do something about it....and do...I charge with a $110 ticket....

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

iairallie

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
If you throw it in the trash, they'll bitch that thats not what the trash is for.

HUH? I think you are making this up. Of course that is what the trash bin is for. It is for TRASH.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
If you keep it on your person, they'll bitch that you stink and they shouldn't have to put up with the smell.

News flash if you smoke you stink anyways even if you don't carry the butt with you we can smell you. So us all a favor and at least clean up after yourself.

: what else was I going to do with it? Walking down the street, I am finished smoking, so I just flick it into the gutter and let the water treatment facility or the street sweeper deal with the rest.

Would you do that if you were say drinking a soda as you walked down the street?

What else would you do? Do what I do if I have piece of litter when I'm not near a bin hold on to it until you can throw it into an appropriate receptical. Why should someone else have to clean up after you because you are lazy?

Are you freakin' kidding me? We need to protect kids, but that just seems a bit much to me.

Are you freakin' kidding me! You think it is ok to smoke in a small enclosed area with children around. Screw with your own lungs but don't punish the kids. Ps cracking the window does not help. Every now and then I ride with my friend (I forget she likes to smoke in the car) and it is sheer misery with the window open or closed.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 13):
I am fortunate that i am in a job that i can do something about it....and do...I charge with a $110 ticket....

Thank you. Littering is littering even if it is just a butt.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

czbbflier

RE: Why Do Smokers Throw Their Butts On The Ground

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:34 am

Left hand turn lanes at intersections, right next to the curb are collection points for hundreds upon hundreds of cigarette butts. Can't use the ashtray- it might devalue the car....

I have thought about this extensively and to answer the OP's question, I believe that smokers have such little respect for themselves (their bodies, that is), why would smokers have any respect for the environment?

It is an addiction. As soon as the high has been achieved, nothing else matters. Not their lungs. Not anybody else's. Not the location of their non-biodegradable butt.

Of course there are many smokers with a conscience.... unfortunately for them, most don't. I don't think getting on a smoker's case about their smoking is going to help matters either. Smokers with a conscience are just looking for the right opportunity to quit- and harranguing them will only put up walls.

So my question is this: If you are a smoker and care about other peoples' thoughts and feelings about your smoking, why do you smoke at all and what would it take for you to quit?

For those who don't care about themselves, others, or the environment, I'm sorry to say, more likely than not, lung cancer or emphysema will eventually be their karma.

Heavy, ain't it?

NIKV69

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 13):

Oh yeaaa, hit them where it hurts the most. Prob the only thing to make them think twice about doing it again.

[Edited 2009-03-15 21:56:55]
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 am

I am a smoker so i can answer your question.
If i throw my cigarette butt in the trash it will start a fire. If an ashtray is around i make sure to extinguish it there. If i am visiting somebody house i ask him if i can smoke there, seeing ashtrays around is a signal that i can but i still ask.
As for throwing the cigarette butt on the ground I've been trying for years to make stop in mid air to no avail.

[Edited 2009-03-15 21:57:53]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Tugger
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
But let me ask you a question, why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do? I'm not talking about you personally, so no need to get your defenses up (yet Wink ), just a general question.

Yeah, I understand addiction and doing something that you enjoy doing. The key thing that either gets my ire or my respect is how considerate the person smoking is to those around them who don't. For instance I have noticed that most of my smoking friends hold their cigs away from me (and others) and this simple action means a lot. In my travels I have noticed a huge difference in how smokers are around nonsmokers in states that are (for want of a better word) "pro" smoking versus those that are "anti" smoking. Basically if you are a nonsmoker in a smoking location its you who is considerate or cautious while in an anti-smoking area the smokers shows deference (in general).

Quoting Molykote (Reply 7):
An alternative would be keeping some sort of container or bag on your person to avoid risking a trash fire (if this is realistic), littering, and thirdly (in this order) reducing your personal smell.

Are there pocket ashtrays? Do they work, are they any good?

Quoting Molykote (Reply 7):
If you're carring cigarettes and a lighter anyway it's probably not much of a burden to put your used butts back in the cigarette package or in a bag.

That is what my sister does, she'll snuff out the cherry and roll any remaining tobacco out and then put the cigarette in the pack.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 9):
When I was walking to the hospital one day I saw someone finish his cigarette and flick it a good 10 feet towards a van sitting on idle. I could see the smoldering butt hit and bounce against the tire.

I thought what the f**k? Is there something so wrong as to walking a couple feet over to the cigarette receptacle and putting it out there (there was one almost right next to him), rather than flick it across the sidewalk?

This is the stuff I particularly don't understand. Why, when there is a receptacle nearby does someone do this? And the worst, most common version of this is the car. There is an ashtray in the car and yet many smokers still flick it out the window! I've even watched my best friend do this and I gave a huge ration of sh!t about it (he picked up another butt to make up for it). The worst excuse I was ever given was when someone told me they didn't want to mess up their ashtray (I can not say that all smokers are like this, my friend does normally use his ashtray)!

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 14):
Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
If you throw it in the trash, they'll bitch that thats not what the trash is for.

HUH? I think you are making this up. Of course that is what the trash bin is for. It is for TRASH.

Well, the bitch I have heard people make is that a fire could be started if you just throw a lit cigarette in the trash. That's why you must roll the cherry off it first!

Tugg

[Edited 2009-03-15 22:07:51]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Molykote

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 1):
Convenience really...

Yeah it's sucky, but sometimes there just aren't any bins!

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
if I do have to throw it on the ground, I grind the hell out of it with my foot so theres very little left

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 7):
I can only speak for myself when I say: what else was I going to do with it?

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 16):
As for throwing the cigarette butt on the ground I've been trying for years to make stop in mid air to no avail.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 18):
Well, the bitch I have heard people make is that a fire could be started if you just throw a lit cigarette in the trash. That's why you must roll the cherry off it first!

In all cases, I believe the key point is this:

If one chooses to smoke (or picnic), it is up to him/her to ensure that they are able to do so without causing a fire, littering, or otherwise breaking the law.

If a safe and/or convenient means of disposing of ones smoking (or picnic) waste is not available, this should be accounted for by the user.

iwenttoYXEonce

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 am

If i throw my cigarette butt in the trash it will start a fire

Well, you can turn off the cigarette first... you can step on the cigarette, grab the butt, and throw it in the garbage...

I sometimes eat while walking on the street and hold on to the wrappers and bottles until I find a garbage receptacle...

Danny

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 am

I was always disgusted by this behaviour, funny enough many of them consider themselves highly cultural people  Yeah sure

oly720man

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:36 am

Well they're only small aren't they? As well as the lumps of spat out chewing gum, canine deposits, candy wrappers, fast food cartons etc, etc that also dot our streets. Laziness or thoughtlessness, basically.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

yooyoo

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm

When i smoke, i've gotten rid of the "heater" and kept the filter until i found a trash can or got home and put it in the garbage. I'm not completely innocent as i have tossed my finished butt out of a car but that's rare.

Self gloss....it's been 5 weeks since my last smoke.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

baroque

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
But let me ask you a question, why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do? I'm not talking about you personally, so no need to get your defenses up (yet Wink ), just a general question.

Not sure I ever get in a smoker's face (tends to be a bit smelly!) but aside from Falcons answer in Reply 5, it might happen when after the smoke has drifted over the non smoker for an unconscionable length of time, the smoker then half extinguishes the butt in an ashtray and allows the dying embers to drift over the non smoker.  Big grin

I will feel less upset at side smoke the day I see a smoker take the cigarette from their lips and hold it so the smoke between puffs goes straight up their own nose.

In a contest of getting in faces, it seems to me that the smoker is likely the aggressor effectively by definition???? Big grin  Big grin

Dougloid

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:49 pm

I am a smoker so i can answer your question.
If i throw my cigarette butt in the trash it will start a fire. If an ashtray is around i make sure to extinguish it there. If i am visiting somebody house i ask him if i can smoke there, seeing ashtrays around is a signal that i can but i still ask.

Are you acquainted with the process of field stripping a cigarette butt? Most soldiers are or were.

Maybe you should try it or carry a poop bag like all the people who walk their dogs in the park before telling the rest of the world your excuses why you're a litterbug. Clean up after yourself and improve the planet.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

A332

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Why do so many smokers think it is OK to just flick it away onto the ground?

"Well, everyone else does it."

Really, that's about all I can muster on that question. Smoking is a habit just as all of the inconsiderate characteristics that go along with it... such as smoking around non-smokers, smoking near building entrances, flicking butts on the ground, spitting, etc.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
if I do have to throw it on the ground, I grind the hell out of it with my foot so theres very little left.

You shouldn't be throwing it on the ground in the first place. I don't take my garbage and throw it all over the streets, so do us a favor and discard of your trash like a normal, civilized person.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
I rarely smoke in my car, but on the odd occasion that I do, I'll usually have an empty paper cup in the car and putt a bit of water or other beverage in it so I just use it as an ashtray, and when I get out of the car, I just grab it and throw it in the trash.

Why don't you just use the ashtray? It's not just there for decoration.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 3):
Perhaps the point could be made by whipping our drawers down and placing a reeking, steaming turd on their desks. Hmmm?

checkmark  I like this idea!  Smile

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):

Whatever. That's BS and you know it.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do?

Why is it that smokers seem to have this self-centered attitude that they are free to do as they please, even though it's poisoning everyone around them and contributing to massive health care costs that we all have to pay for?

Oh, and I don't let fat people, druggies or alcoholics off the hook either... all unhealthy habits need to be scorned... otherwise people don't stop doing it. Make something socially unacceptable and eventually it becomes the fringe. That's the reason why smoking is becoming so taboo these days...

Litter bug, plain & simple.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 27):
Self gloss....it's been 5 weeks since my last smoke.

Congrats... the hardest part is the first 3 weeks. If you can make the 3 week mark without caving, you're well on your way to quitting permanently. Kudos to you!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ronglimeng

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm not a smoker, and this morning I was annoyed to rake up a lot of butts out at the corner of my lawn where several of my neighbours have watered their dogs during their winter morning walks.

But,

I like eating apples, and about the only thing really inedible in most cases is the stem, which I often hold between my teeth like a cigarette or toothpick. I was coming out of the office a few weeks ago and I got rid of an apple stem by taking it out of my mouth in one sweeping motion and letting it go with an abrupt flick of my hand.

It was a particularly satisfying thing to do. I don't know why. Maybe I thought I was General Frank Savage, about to get things straightened out at the 918th Bomb Group. Anyone remember that scene from 12 O'Clock High?

britjap

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 pm

I am depressed by how few people seem to have heard of pocket ashtrays. You can get them in every shape/size/design you could hope for.

I don't know why I am surprised though. They are very very common in Japan but I can't say I have ever seen someone using one in the UK.

Just try looking for one on Ebay or Amazon or something.

There is NO reason why throwing a cigarette butt on the ground is ever necessary.

http://www.buttsout.net/global

Quote:

1. Cigarette butt litter is the world’s greatest environmental litter problem

2. Globally, approximately 4.3 trillion cigarette butts are littered every year. Smokers in the USA account for over 250 billion cigarette butts, in the UK 200 tonnes of butts are discarded, and Australian smokers litter over 7 billion cigarette butts annually. In most Western countries cigarette butt litter accounts for around 50% of all litter.

3. Almost 1 in 3 cigarette butts end up as litter – see the diagram below from Nolan – ITU to understand where butts are littered and how they impact the environment

4. Cigarette butt litter dramatically increases where indoor smoking bans are implemented.

5. In Australia, NSW smokers throw away enough butts to fill 7 Olympic swimming pools. Up to 350,000 butts end up in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria and waterways every day

6. It can take up to 12 years for a cigarette butt to break down

7. Cigarette butts can leach chemicals such as cadmium, lead and arsenic into our marine environment within an hour of contact with water

8. Cigarette butts have been found in the stomachs of fish, whales, birds and other marine animals which leads to ingestion of hazardous chemicals and digestive blockages

9. Smokers in many countries can be fined for flicking a lit cigarette

10. And the final and most important thing to know about cigarette butt litter is: Only smokers can stop cigarette butt litter. We need to educate them that butts are litter, and provide a positive alternative to littering.

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Quoting BritJap (Reply 43):
Just try looking for one on Ebay or Amazon or something

Thank you for the info. Found few on Ebay. Bought myself a couple.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

richm

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I think it's disgusting, but I am also very much an anti smoker.

I personally don't think that people should be allowed to smoke while they drive either. Given that it's now against the law to use a handheld mobile phone while driving (in the UK) you'd think they'd have banned smoking while driving too. If someone drops their ash, then clearly, their attention will no longer be focused on driving.

This reminds me, a few years back when I was at Exeter airport, I was at the viewing area and saw a captain of a Pegasus Airlines 737-800 smoking a cigarette inside the cockpit. Is this actually allowed?

swissy

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Ei Ei Ei, the good old smoking gun.....

I do smoke and I enjoy it.... yes even a good Cuban cigar....

Do not smoke in the car..... only throw butts on the ground if there are no garbage bins... do not smoke in my house... have a huge ashtray outside...

Why do people throw garbage on the ground or out their cars ( including non smokers)????

Do not have a problem with a smelly smoker breath at least in know it is smoke... non smoker........ntbd

Do know more non smoker with cancer than smokers....... smoking is giving you a greater chance of developing cancer so does smog/polutions ( like the stuff which comes out of the tailpipe of you car)...... and I believe genetics have a play in it too (just my humble opinion)..... how you live your life is also a factor......

More and more new cars build do not have any ashtrays anymore so I guess no place left for the butt other than out the window......

Would I encourage anyone to smoke?? NO WHY

Cheerios,

britjap

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 44):
Found few on Ebay. Bought myself a couple.

Yea, a convert...nice going!!!!

ozglobal

RE: Why Do Smokers Throw Their Butts On The Ground

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):
But let me ask you a question, why is it that so many non-smokers feel the need to get into our faces and bitch and moan about everything we do? I'm not talking about you personally, so no need to get your defenses up (yet   ), just a general question.

To smoke is an inherently irresponsible activity. This is not controversial. The compulsion to smoke comes from a very powerful addiction; one which billions of dollars a year are devoted to trying to break. Smokers, I have had my health damaged significantly by your addiction, your incessant presumption upon my needs, my health, my happiness. Your decision to smoke hurts me: physically (there is no safe level of passive smoking), financially, (I fund the massive portion of the health budget devoted to smoking generated illness) and reduces my freedom. I know of no more selfish mainstream activity. The disposal of butts irresponsibly is just a small symptom of a life controlling scourge.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

cpd

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:07 am

I've watched people tossing them from their cars as they drive, as they are walking, and even saw it on a national "reality" police program where a Sargent at a crash investigation threw one into the street saying "OK breaks over, time to get to work".

It's not allowed here. In fact - you can be fined for it.

And it can start wildfires too.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 am

Yet nobody is complaining about people throwing gum

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):

"Well, everyone else does it."

Really, that's about all I can muster on that question.

This hits it on the head! Because that's what people have done for hundreds of years worldwide. It's just ingrained behavior and it's lasted longer than political correctness and environmentalists. The only difference is in these days there's less smokers, so the non-smokers like to use it as another thing to demonize the existing smokers. You don't ever hear them complain about somebody throwing their gum on the sidewalk, or a toothpick, or some other near microscopic item. Just those nasty smoker's butts!

A butt is just fibrous material that's like cotton when it breaks down- albeit it takes a while. Sure, they look ugly after "thousands" have piled up. But there's millions of smokers, so of course they'll accumulate in some places if not cleaned up.

Get over it people. You can't stop it and it's been with us for years. And besides, some people stlil roll their own or smoke filter-less. When you toss those, they just burn to dust in a few minutes. So how's one to know that cigarette some guy just tossed isn't one of these? Do you actually get out of your car's and go and inspect the evidence!

mirrodie

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 34):
Get over it people. You can't stop it and it's been with us for years.

I love how you try to justify what is just wrong. Perhaps you can provide the defense for Madoff?

Well, its good to know that you admit you guys are unable to evolve!

Comes down to simple courtesy.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Do you actually get out of your car's and go and inspect the evidence!

Yes, I have and do. Did you read my original post? And when confronted, the people who toss their trash to the ground respond well, either by picking it up, taking it when offered to them, or shrinking and trying to disappear. When people realize their actions are noticed and not tolerated they change what they do.

A butt is just fibrous material that's like cotton when it breaks down- albeit it takes a while. Sure, they look ugly after "thousands" have piled up. But there's millions of smokers, so of course they'll accumulate in some places if not cleaned up.

They don't need to be "tossed" recklessly, you can put them in a proper place. And they don't degrade well, they are not "biodegradable" per se.
http://www.longwood.edu/CLEANVA/cigbuttbiodegradable.htm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 33):
Get over it people. You can't stop it and it's been with us for years. And besides, some people stlil roll their own or smoke filter-less. When you toss those, they just burn to dust in a few minutes. So how's one to know that cigarette some guy just tossed isn't one of these? Do you actually get out of your car's and go and inspect the evidence!

On your comment on filterless ciggarettes, yes I could certainly rephrase the critique to be about people who toss their cigarette filters improperly (which I believe is the larger part of the smoking population). Point taken.
But on your comment about "can't stop it" of course you can, you learned to smoke didn't you? And it became a habit didn't it? I understand that most smokers are gripped by the addiction to nicotine and find it very difficult to stop but this has nothing to do with addiction only the habit involved. Well this is the same, just a new smoking "habit".

Tugg

[Edited 2009-03-18 09:33:36]

[Edited 2009-03-18 09:37:24]

mirrodie

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 36):
Yes, I have and do. Did you read my original post? And when confronted, the people who toss their trash to the ground respond well, either by picking it up, taking it when

I gotta be honest, I read your OP and I was cracking up. I can;t believe you have the moxie to do that. Pretty Funny!!

Euclid

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:48 pm

And besides, some people stlil roll their own or smoke filter-less. When you toss those, they just burn to dust in a few minutes.

Okay, let's try again, see if this post will stay. Saying that it lies there burning itself out to dust suggest something else that is very wrong. That means the smoker just tossed it there with no consideration of the possible consequences by not extinguishing it first, something that is very common. It will lie there still giving off smoke that I may inhale, a barefoot child can step on the glowing ember or it can be blown into dry grass or bushes and start a fire, something that happens quite frequently in the Cape Town area. About two or three years ago a British tourist's discarded butt started very bad fires in that area. Try and come up with an excuse for that.

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting Euclid (Reply 38):
It will lie there still giving off smoke that I may inhale,

Most likely less toxic at that point than standing at a traffic intersection during rushhour?

Quoting Euclid (Reply 38):
a barefoot child can step on the glowing ember

Why are the parents letting their children go around barefoot?

Euclid, we know you don't like smokers, we get it, but you are pushing the argument to the extreme in the other direction. If you want to be taken seriously by smokers, who could use your encourgement to quit, you need to be understanding of their views and help them to stop rather than blame them for the worlds problems.

Now, another question: How do you feel about the Cigar and Pipe crowd? Does their habit bother you as much?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

2H4

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 39):
Euclid, we know you don't like smokers, we get it, but you are pushing the argument to the extreme in the other direction. If you want to be taken seriously by smokers, who could use your encourgement to quit, you need to be understanding of their views and help them to stop rather than blame them for the worlds problems.

With all due respect, you countered the second-hand smoking concerns and the child safety concerns, but not the issue of a burning cigarette being a (very legitimate) fire hazard. The latter, in my opinion, is in no way a sign of "pushing the argument to the extreme". It's a completely valid and important problem.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

dtwclipper

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 40):
The latter, in my opinion, is in no way a sign of "pushing the argument to the extreme". It's a completely valid and important problem.

I would agree. However I would gather to say that most smokers are more considerate than they are being portrayed here.

I quit smoking in October of 2007 and in the 20 odd years that I smoked I never once started a brush fire.
 duck   duck   duck 

My basic point is it is of course, as the saying goes, easier to catch flies with honey then with vinegar. The more you insult people, buy telling them how rude, smelly, etc., they are, the more they will push back.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

2H4

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 41):
My basic point is it is of course, as the saying goes, easier to catch flies with honey then with vinegar. The more you insult people, buy telling them how rude, smelly, etc., they are, the more they will push back.

Ah, understood.  Smile

From your perspective, what are some ways one can take the "honey" approach when addressing the problem of smokers littering?

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

WarRI1

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 am

This thread, made me aware today while fueling my truck. I noticed the owner of the station sweeping up butts, he was not too happy about the littering. I asked him. People come in smoking and throw their butts down bvecause of the law. I was amazed at the volume of butts all over. Good thing there is law about smoking while filling.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

canuckpaxguy

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:20 am

I have gotten out of my car gone and picked up the butt and handed it to the person (twice so far) saying "you dropped this"

I'm surprised you haven't had your ass kicked yet.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 12):
....and do...I charge with a $110 ticket....

Yeah okay, and how many of those have you ACTUALLY handed out?. (And if it's more than zero, then see my reply to the first comment.)

Admittedly it is wrong, but when I smoked, I did it all the time. If you take away ash trays, people will flick the butts on the ground or flick them onto the street. When there's an ashtray (even a beer-bottle) smokers will use them. I never had to clean up cigarette butts at home or even at the cottage.

Smokers aren't bad people.
G

2H4

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 44):

Smokers are not inherently bad people, but people who litter are short-sighted and inconsiderate.  yes 

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 37):
I gotta be honest, I read your OP and I was cracking up. I can;t believe you have the moxie to do that. Pretty Funny!!

Yeah, most think I'm nuts but I am as respectful as possible.

I'm surprised you haven't had your ass kicked yet.

If someone wants to go to jail that is a stupid choice and almost no one makes that choice. As said above, I am nice about it but firm, they always know that they are in the wrong. I have only done the "car" thing four times, the opportunity has to be right and safe.

Admittedly it is wrong, but when I smoked, I did it all the time.

You say yourself that you know it is wrong.......

And I agree, smokers are not bad, or weak, dumb, irresponsible.... whateve derogatory term people use. But throwing your butt to the ground when you don't have too (and you never have too in normal situations, my sister and her husband proves that) is a bad thing to do.

Smoking is a decision you make, so is littering.

Tugg

Euclid

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi guys, been away for the day, more about that a bit later.

Most likely less toxic at that point than standing at a traffic intersection during rushhour?

Maybe true, maybe not, but then why add yet another cloud of toxic substances to the poisonous gases I am already breathing?

Why are the parents letting their children go around barefoot?

Most children love to go barefoot, and health experts agree that it is far healthier for children to go barefoot as much as possible. Most, if not all, the primary schools in my vicinity, including the one directly opposite my house, allow children to attend school barefoot, and a lot of them walk home in the afternoons, mostly accompanied by parents or caretakers in the case of smaller children, but I've never noticed one of the kids wearing shoes in the summer months, and they shouldn't be made to wear shoes either.

My daughter is now 18 months old and even at her age she will not tolerate shoes for very long before making it very clear that she wants them off.

I myself prefer going barefoot whenever I can, usually taking walks in the evenings and not wearing shoes, and I never wear shoes at home.

If you want to be taken seriously by smokers, who could use your encourgement to quit, you need to be understanding of their views and help them to stop rather than blame them for the worlds problems.

Sorry, but for the life of me I will never be able to understand why they want to defend the practise most of them have of littering our environment with butts. I mean, how can I ever understand the point of one of the above posters that he will refuse to carry a stinking butt around until he can dispose of it properly if he's willing to smoke it in the first place?

Now, another question: How do you feel about the Cigar and Pipe crowd? Does their habit bother you as much?

Exactly the same as I feel about smokers, although in the case of pipe smokers there's no butts littering the streets, and I can't recall ever having seen a half smoked cigar on the street either, so I'm willing to give them bonus points for that at least.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 41):
I quit smoking in October of 2007 and in the 20 odd years that I smoked I never once started a brush fire.

Yes, you haven't, but a lot of smokers have.

When there's an ashtray (even a beer-bottle) smokers will use them. I never had to clean up cigarette butts at home or even at the cottage.

Yes, but the big debate here is about what they do with the butts if there's no place to dispose of them immediately. Even if something is available some smokers don't bother using them, as witnessed by one of the above posters, can't remember who and can't be bothered to go look for it, but I myself have witnessed this on occasion.

In my days as an earthmoving mechanic our workshop had more than enough litter bins standing around the place, yet I never saw one smoker, be it a mechanic or office staff walking through the workshop, bother to drop his butt in a bin. They would ALWAYS drop it right where they were, sometimes even while standing right next to a trash bin. That workshop floor would be covered in butts in a very short time.

Anyway, on the roughly 130 km drive home tonight (for those familiar with South Africa, from Vereeniging to Pretoria) I counted no less than 17 glowing cigarette butts being shot out of cars in front me. There just is no excuse for doing that, period.

If 17 vehicles that happened to be in front of me on a 130 km drive did that, not even in heavy rush hour traffic, imagine how many butts people in the thousands of cars on our streets daily throw away onto the streets and pavements. The mind boggles. Yet I very, very rarely see someone throwing a wrapper or soda can out of a car.