ClassicLover
Topic Author

The A.Net CWL Meet Aftermath Thread

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 pm

We've landed back in Dublin and I've arrived back home. I flew in to London Gatwick courtesy of Aer Lingus yesterday, then got the Gatwick Express to Victoria, the Tube to Paddington and the train to Cardiff Central. Pawsleykat, TupolevTu154 and myself stayed in the Holiday Inn at Cardiff Airport, did some spotting, and then met up with everyone at the airport today.

Everyone had a great time experiencing EI-JFK from CWL-DUB today - with over 20 a.netters on board. It was very much a party atmosphere, with most of Premier Class filled with people from the site, along with a bunch of peons down the back  Wink

We were treated very well by the EI crew, one of whom was an a.netter himself (Senior Cabin Crew, according to his badge!) - and we even had a Sky Cafe service on the flight. I thought the flight would be too short for that.

The a.netters on board also received -

1. EI Boeing 737-400 model (which isn't available anywhere)
2. EI Airbus A330-300 model
3. EI teddy bear wearing an Aer Lingus jumper
4. A bunch of postcards commemorating the history of Aer Lingus
5. A certificate for the a.netters commemorating the flight (which some of us have had signed by others on the flight!)

Thanks very much to that cabin crew member who I am not sure I can mention on here or not - I'm sure if he wants to be identified, he'll post.

I'm sure others will have good pix, but here are a couple of mine... (crap as they are!)

Tom / TuplevTu154 - of course, on a.net in the hotel, but don't tell Holiday Inn that!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/ClassicLover/P1010763.jpg

Jordan / Pawsleykat - in the room ready to go!

Safety on Board the Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/ClassicLover/P1010767.jpg

The Premier Class cabin at boarding filled with a.netters

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/ClassicLover/P1010770.jpg

Trent / ClassicLover - ie me - sitting pretty in 1A!

A fine day, if only the flight had been longer - we had the run of the aircraft!  Smile
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

B747forever

RE: The A.Net CWL Meet Aftermath Thread

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Wow, sounds like you guys had a really good time. Wish I could have attended.

Do you have a pic of the models you got? Would be interesting to see how they look like. What scale are they in?
Work Hard, Fly Right

TupolevTu154

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Looking forward to seeing the group shots at the end! Unfortunate that the flight was so short and some members had to dash off but good to meet some of you all the same! I shall not leave my passport on board in future, and I'm sure Dan/PlymSpotter won't either  Silly

I'll be adding my photographs tomorrow evening when I get home.

Thanks all!

EI320

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Looks like a great day out, looking forward to seeing more pics.....

Fair play to the EI crew member on here who organised the aircraft models, cards etc, nice job!

Off now to watch Ireland win...  

[Edited 2009-03-21 10:25:31]

BMIFlyer

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Looks like you guys had a fun trip Big grin

Quoting ClassicLover (Thread starter):
Jordan / Pawsleykat - in the room ready to go!

Jordan, your hair style is jst crazy! Everytime I see your pic, the hair is different, haha  Smile
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

MEA-707

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:21 pm

I can't find that FBX restaurant on Temple Bar, noone ever heared of it around it, neither I can find it online so I guess I won't see the rest of the group here in Dublin this evening... I will scan the older thread for more clues where you'll hang out this evening so maybe you see me there.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

OA260

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Well done guys. Glad you had a good time. Nice of the Anet. EI crew member to arrange the extra bits for you . Looking forward to seeing the other pics.

B747forever

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Will we get a TR from anyone  Wink
Work Hard, Fly Right

HT

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:30 pm

I arrived back at my hotel at Schiphol a while ago having had an uneventful EI-flight DUB to AMS.

The level of attention we received from the staff at EI on the CWL to DUB-flight (enroute and after landing) was simply amazing !

Sorry, no pictures at the moment as w/o equipment I cannot get them onto my computer (and online).

Was sure nice meeting you guys !
Holger aka. -HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

EISHN

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Sacrilege guys, how could ye miss a match like that! I understand the whole "Premier for only such and such quid" but what an Epic event today was!  champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   champagne   cheerful 
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Bramble

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 9):
Sacrilege guys, how could ye miss a match like that

Flight landed at 2.40.................plenty of time to get themselves settled into a Temple Bar hostelry for beverages and the rugby!!!!!!!!!

pawsleykat

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 4):
Jordan, your hair style is jst crazy! Everytime I see your pic, the hair is different, haha

Lol. I would agree. When life gets me down, I change my hair  

Thanks for a great day everyone. Great freebees as well
Was nice to meet you onboard and if you see your collegue John again, say hi to him from me. He was lovely  Wink

JG  

[Edited 2009-03-21 15:19:28]
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

DunaA320

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Nice to meet everyone today, was a really cool day and it was an experience to have the run of the aircraft!

Heres a pic of what we got in our goodie bad! Thanks! 

EI-CRK on the top spot  

Hope to see some of you guys real soon!!!

Matt  

[Edited 2009-03-21 16:11:28]

AmricanShamrok

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Great pics. Glad ye enjoyed it.

Quoting ClassicLover:
1. EI Boeing 737-400 model (which isn't available anywhere)
2. EI Airbus A330-300 model
3. EI teddy bear wearing an Aer Lingus jumper
4. A bunch of postcards commemorating the history of Aer Lingus
5. A certificate for the a.netters commemorating the flight (which some of us have had signed by others on the flight!)

That was a nice gesture. If I had to guess the cabin crew member in question I'd say it was...Bramble Big grin

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 2):
I shall not leave my passport on board in future, and I'm sure Dan/PlymSpotter won't either

I certainly won't - I'm so embarrassed that I did that!  Embarrassment

I would just like to say a massive thank you to a certain A.netter for his organisation of today's flight - absolutely top notch stuff, a massive thumbs up PR wise for EI. Aside of us A.nutters there were at least 20 more enthusiasts on the flight, oddly enough four of them were also from Plymouth, which I only found out once I got on board! It was really nice to meet everyone today; here are a few first pictures from the flight:

A big thank you to ValleySpotter for the Champaign - I'll pop that picture in an email to you tomorrow, I haven't posted it here incase you didn't want that  Smile

The Private-Prop back to PLH:

Soren and myself have arrived into Plymouth now, we got EI-DCM on the FR DUB-LGW flight and then G-WOWA on the WO LGW-NQY-PLH flight. This was an amazing end to today’s trip - a personal Dash 8 between PLH and NQY; we were the only two passengers on board, along with two cabin crew and two pilots!  bigthumbsup 

On the downside we had a bit of confusion getting home from the airport this evening; my mother was going to pick us both up, but we arrived 25 minutes early and her phone was engaged when I rang to ask her to collect us, so we started walking home instead. Half a mile up the road she drives past us but doesn't see us, so we hang around to wait for her to come back but she doesn't... so after half an hour of waiting and wondering if we should go back we finish walking the mile left to home, where I find my mum but no car!  eek  She'd gotten to the airport and parked in the (free) short stay car park, but as our flight was the last one and we were the only pax the airport was now closed and she couldn't get back out again through the barrier because the ticket machine is located inside the locked terminal, hence her car is still at PLH and she had to call our neighbour to come and pick her up. An unusual end to a brilliant day!

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

HT

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:22 am

Nice pictures, Dan !

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 15):
Soren and myself have arrived into Plymouth now

Good to hear that your tight conbnection at DUB worked out. I was espcially worried, once I discovered that it takes that long to walk to D-gates.

a personal Dash 8 between PLH and NQY; we were the only two passengers on board, along with two cabin crew and two pilots!   

WOW - what an experience !

And what a story getting home from PLH !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting MEA-707" class=quote target=_blank>MEA-707 (Reply 5):
I can't find that FBX restaurant on Temple Bar, noone ever heared of it around it, neither I can find it online so I guess I won't see the rest of the group here in Dublin this evening... I will scan the older thread for more clues where you'll hang out this evening so maybe you see me there.

You found us in the end though, which was good  Smile

It was FXB in Temple Bar and it was Jordan, Tom, Matt (Swiftski), Chris (FlyNavy) and I along with MEA-707 eventually. Amazing steaks!!!! Great craic - so it was good fun  Smile

Bramble

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm

It was really nice to meet everyone today; here are a few first pictures from the flight:

Great to see that the pic came out OK. My usual trick worked..............take 3-4 to get a decent one!

Bet ye had a great time in Temple Bar with the atmosphere after the match,a good night to be in Dublin.

pawsleykat

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm back at home now. Great weekend everybody.

Anyone up for the AF 744 EDI-CDG flight in February next year?  Silly

Nice photos everyone,

safe travels

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

HT

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 19):
Anyone up for the AF 744 EDI-CDG flight in February next year?  

Anyone saw / took pictures of the AF B777F that was present in DUB when we arrived / resp. when my flight departed a few hours later ?
-HT

Brewox

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 20):
Anyone saw / took pictures of the AF B777F that was present in DUB when we arrived / resp. when my flight departed a few hours later ?

It was F-GUOB, tried to get a decent shot, but bit too far away as we were in the terminal.

Thanks once again to all those great EI cabin crew.

Andrew

HT

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Quoting Brewox (Reply 21):
It was F-GUOB,

Thanks for the info !
-HT

lapper

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:30 pm

In case you were wondering why 4d/g were empty, they were mine but unfortunately had to go away last minute for business. Shame as would have been my first a.net meet and also missed out on the goodies! BAH!

Baexecutive

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Quoting Lapper (Reply 23):

I was meant to be 4K (I think) but got v.drunk the night before and slept in! Flaming missed out on the stuff aswell  Sad

nighthawk

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm back at home now. Great weekend everybody.

Anyone up for the AF 744 EDI-CDG flight in February next year? Silly

Nice photos everyone,

safe travels

JG Yeah sure

Air France use 777-300ERs for rugby charters now. Previously they used 742s, I dont think they have ever used a 744.

f1eddie

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 25):
I dont think they have ever used a 744.

Here you go

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexandru Magurean

Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

DunaA320

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Deffo!!

Quoting HT (Reply 20):
-HT

Here you go...

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 16):
Good to hear that your tight conbnection at DUB worked out. I was espcially worried, once I discovered that it takes that long to walk to D-gates.

Yeah, we had to walk for miles!

Quoting HT (Reply 16):
WOW - what an experience !

And what a story getting home from PLH !

It was a great experience, and my mother finally got her car back today  silly 

Quoting Bramble (Reply 18):
Great to see that the pic came out OK. My usual trick worked..............take 3-4 to get a decent one!

Yeah it's was great, thank you for taking it!  bigthumbsup 

Is this really flying??? If so, then yeah I'm seriously up for doing it - but don't AF make their planes wait whilst the match is played, and then fly them back again?

Quoting HT (Reply 20):

This is the best shot I got of it Holger, not great as I had my wide lens on. We saw it landing and at first I thought it was another AF 773 making an emergency diversion after engine failure:

Today Soren and I headed to Perranporth, just south of NQY and took a flight in a C172. We asked and got a pass over NQY itself at 3000ft which was really nice, the weather was just amazing for it - couldn't have been better. Plus we saw a guy doing some crazy acrobatics in the wind!

Dan  Smile

eicvd

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 28):
Is this really flying??? If so, then yeah I'm seriously up for doing it - but don't AF make their planes wait whilst the match is played, and then fly them back again?

As someone above posted they use the 77W on their rugby charters now. It doesnt stay on the ground for the weekend either. F-GSQO arrived at DUB on the 6th of feb & then again on the 8th.
COYBIB

PlymSpotter

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:54 am

Quoting EICVD (Reply 29):
As someone above posted they use the 77W on their rugby charters now. It doesnt stay on the ground for the weekend either. F-GSQO arrived at DUB on the 6th of feb & then again on the 8th.

Then sure, if they sell seats on it then I'll fly on it. Perhaps as they retire the 744s in a few years time they will start to use them more for the charters, as they will be spare. There are some really great widebody flying opportunities in Europe right now  bigthumbsup 

Dan  Smile

chris78cpr

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:12 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 30):
There are some really great widebody flying opportunities in Europe right now

Dan,

Care to share some routes and equip with me? I will never say no to short flights on widebodies!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

PlymSpotter

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:45 am

Quoting Chris78cpr (Reply 30):
Dan,

Care to share some routes and equip with me? I will never say no to short flights on widebodies!

Aside of the 'regular' BA 763 and remaining LH A300 routes you have the following... plus more, my brain is tired so it's just a quick list for now, some of which I credit to MEA707 after our chat on the train to CWL:

LAN Chile MAD-FRA-MAD A343
Iberia MAD-FRA-MAD A343
Air China ATH-CDG A332
Aer Lingus DUB-SNN/AGP/Canaries-DUB A332/333
Korean Airways AMS-MAD-AMS A330?
Korean Airways VIE-ZRH A330/B744
Saudi Arabian GVA-MAN-GVA B777
Olympic ATH-LHR-ATH A343
Thy Turkish IST-LHR-IST B777-300ER
SATA LIS-PDL-LIS + others A310-300

There's probably more as well, but that's a few that I can think of right now.

Dan  Smile

Brewox

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:55 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 29):
There are some really great widebody flying opportunities in Europe right now

Not sure if they still operate but Kuwait served:

CDG - GVA A300
CDG - FCO A343

Andrew

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 am

Congrats.
Looks like you all had a great time.....How about a whose Who in the group pic in the main cabin.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

pawsleykat

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 24):
Air France use 777-300ERs for rugby charters now.

Isn't Edinburgh too small for the 77W though?
Then again, VS did bring in an A340-600 for the G8 a few years back

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 24):
Previously they used 742s, I dont think they have ever used a 744

View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig McCorriston

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Krupka [Airplane-Pictures]

They send them in every even numbered year, like 2006/2008/2010, for the Scotland -v- France game at Murrayfield

Smile

JG  Yeah sure

HT

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:40 am

Pictures !

A deserted Departure Terminal at CWL, before the A.netters (and hordes of Ski tourists to fly to INN arrived):
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2480-1.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2485-1.jpg

A.netters waiting in front of CWL's gate #7 to board EI-JFK to fly to DUB:
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2488-1.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2489_1.jpg

DYFlyer
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2490_1.jpg

BrusselsSouth (center) and HT (right)
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2491_1.jpg

??, Birdwatching and FlyNavy
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2492_1.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2493_1.jpg

Catlle Call !
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2494_1.jpg

BrusselsSouth in seat 03D of EI-JFK pre-daparture
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Archie02DE/IMG_2496_1.jpg

-HT

swiftski

Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 am

I left DUB on Sunday on EI168 and got to see the Irish Rugby Team getting escorted in after landing by the Airport Fire Service. Lights, flags, etc. Good to see.

Hywel

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:29 am

... sorry I missed the flight but here's a photo of you taking off  Smile

Click here

TupolevTu154

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 am

If I had stayed in 14A I'd be in that photo  grumpy 

BrusselsSouth

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I won't bother you will all the photos I took on my odyssey from Belgium to CWL. Here are a few of my pics from this great day.

Comfy business class cabin on this A330-300

That's me, sitting in 3D

Some waiting at CWL before departure

Ample legroom. Last week I was on a Ryanair flight. Today in this seat. 'Nuff said.

No overhead bins for center seats.

Seat controls.

Getting ready for departure.

Leaving gate 7 at CWL.

MEA-707 watching the welsh scenery as EI-JFK leaves the runway.

TupolevTu154 doing I don't know what with Pawsleykat while ClassicLover opens another can of beer.

Pawsleykat and ClassicLover.

Engines hard at work

Birdwatching and PlymSpotter in action.

PlymSpotter just discovered he's going to share Champagne with ValleySpotter.

My ride back to CWL (EI-CPD).

Light load tonight to say the least.

The Millenium stadium where Ireland won over Wales just hours ago. Getting ready to land at CWL.

Was nice to meet you all, but I wish I wasn't so tired after a few sleepless nights and hard days at work. Anyway, enjoyed my time with you, the nice gift pack from EI was much appreciated (especially by my son...), very nice PR effort !. Special thanks to HT and MEA-707 for their time at DUB airport. I finally made my way safely to my hotel in Newbury, but those signs on the M4 ("Tiredness can kill, take a break") convinced me to take a flight instead of driving next time.

Regards
BrusselsSouth

pawsleykat

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Quoting Hywel (Reply 37):
here's a photo of you taking off

That's awesome Hywel, thanks!  Smile

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 38):
If I had stayed in 14A I'd be in that photo

Well, the main thing is, you were on the plane :P

JG  Yeah sure

PlymSpotter

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Quoting BrusselsSouth (Reply 39):
TupolevTu154 doing I don't know what with Pawsleykat while ClassicLover opens another can of beer.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
How um, unfortunate...

PlymSpotter just discovered he's going to share Champagne with ValleySpotter.

Very nice it was too  bigthumbsup  There is a picture for ValleySpotter about to be winging it's way to him, but right now my Gmail can't seem to access the web  confused . I'll try again in a few minutes.

Quoting Hywel (Reply 37):
... sorry I missed the flight but here's a photo of you taking off

Click here

That's great, thanks for that Big grin

Birdwatching/Soren is now winging his way back to Germany and should have landed right about now, so I think everybody has now returned from the meet.

Dan  Smile

TupolevTu154

Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Great pics! But that's not ClassicLover, it's DunaA320  Smile

I think that's when Trent/ClassicLover spilled his coffee all over the carpet and my shoe  Wink

HT

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 pm

I finally made my way safely to my hotel in Newbury,

Good to hear !

Special thanks to HT and MEA-707 for their time at DUB airport.

Your company was much appreciated !

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 27):
Yeah, we had to walk for miles!

When I last was at DUB, those D-gates were not there yet.

but those signs on the M4 ("Tiredness can kill, take a break") convinced me to take a flight instead of driving next time.

It definitely was a loong day for you, driving all that distance from Belgium to CWL and back to Newbury.
-HT

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 42):
I think that's when Trent/ClassicLover spilled his coffee all over the carpet and my shoe

I didn't spill it  Smile

We started to descend, and the angle of the tray table was already pointing forward... so while we were all chatting up a storm, my completely full coffee leapt off the tray table and splattered all over the floor.

I'm sure the cleaning mafia that was waiting in the jetbridge made short work of it  Smile

pawsleykat

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 44):
We started to descend, and the angle of the tray table was already pointing forward... so while we were all chatting up a storm, my completely full coffee leapt off the tray table and splattered all over the floor.

Hate to tell you bubs, but we started to descend before that, cause I felt it when I was back in the economy cabin... *shudders* :P

JG  Yeah sure

DunaA320

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 38):
If I had stayed in 14A I'd be in that photo

Im in it :P 4/5th window in the rear section  Wink

Where did you move to Tom?

Pawsleykat and ClassicLover

Thats meeee, not ClassicLover!

DunaA320

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

the nice gift pack from EI was much appreciated

Talking of the gift pack, I found this in hidden away in a box in my room....

Old meets new!

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:36 am

Quoting DunaA320 (Reply 46):

Apparently we look similar  Smile

BrusselsSouth

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 am

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 42):
Great pics! But that's not ClassicLover, it's DunaA320

Quoting DunaA320 (Reply 46):

Sorry guys, my mistake.

Regards
BrusselsSouth