lincoln

RANT: Home Depot And NM-B (Romex) Prices

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 pm

So I'm "finishing" a perpetual project at my house and installing a can. I have a shit ton of 12-3 w/ Ground kicking around which will be great for getting from the Dimmer Cabinet to the 2nd floor lighting J-Box, and would actually be long enough to do the entire project.

But the particular light in question would be a pain in the butt to wire with 12-3 and I only have about 6" of 12-2 on hand. So I ran out to Home Depot to get some 12-2. I figure I need about 25' and I'll get a 50' coil just to be safe.

Looking at the pricing I'm not really sure if someone came up with the pricing by throwing darts at a board or what.

50' is $19.95 ($0.39/foot)
100' is $31.95 ($0.31/foot)
250' is $36.95 ($0.15/foot)

The difference between 50' and 100' doesn't have me boggling anywhere near as much as the 100' to 250' difference -- I mean, the price per foot drops by over half... By buying a 250' coil you're essentially paying just $5.00 extra for 150' of wire once you've bought the 100' coil.

I wound up with a 250' coil because I know at some point I'll have a use for the extra... but I'm still not getting the logic there.

Lincoln

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

dtwclipper

RE: RANT: Home Depot And NM-B (Romex) Prices

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:09 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
installing a can

I have a shit

in the butt

I only have about 6"

So I ran out

just to be safe

Can't help you with pricing, but I enjoyed reading your post!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

lincoln

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):

Best laugh I've had since this weekend's Dilbert. Thanks Big grin
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

mirrodie

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 2):
Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 1):

Best laugh I've had since this weekend's Dilbert. Thanks

Now that is reading between the lines! ROFL!!!

Lincoln, honestly, that sounds like jsut a crew up. Bought Romx a few months ago and I really don't remember that disparity at all! Otherwise I too would ahve jumped at 250 and never would need wire again!!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st