stasisLAX

New VW Passat To Battle C-Class & 3 Series!

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 am

Volkswagen's next-generation 2011 Passat is expected to up the stakes against Germany’s luxury carmakers, with the car’s designers hoping it will be mentioned in the same breath as BMW 3-Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class as VW sees them as the new Passat's key competitors.

Big version: Width: 630 Height: 319 File size: 90kb
2011 VW Passat sedan

Under the hood, a replacement for the VR6 engine will be in place, putting out close to 300hp. The new engine will utilize direct injection while other Passat versions will include a new Bluemotion hybrid as well as an all-wheel drive diesel.

Big version: Width: 950 Height: 460 File size: 83kb

Expected to debut in late 2011, the next-generation Passat is rumored to feature a host of new technologies. In 2012, the Passat station wagon will be launched. This will be followed closely by a new high-performance Passat model to replace the current R36.

Big version: Width: 950 Height: 609 File size: 137kb
2012 VW Passat Sportwagon

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/preview-2011-volkswagen-passat.html

While the next-gen Passat is definitely better looking then the current garden-variety Passat (and I'm definitely a fan of the next-gen station wagon's looks) I must question VW's marketing strategy. Why are the positioning the Passat to compete again the 3-series and the C-class? I thought that the excellent Audi A4/A6 was supposed to fight the C-class and 3-series in the marketplace?  confused 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Brendan03

RE: New VW Passat To Battle C-Class & 3 Series!

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:04 am

Man, That's a nice looking car.
I had a look at the current model Passat and found it a very nice car,
My friend thought it was the nicest car on display which after thinking about it, I couldn't really argue with him on it, though I did like alot of other cars there.

Still, I love the styling of the front, The colour is very nice as well.
Coolier than thou.

MD-90

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
Volkswagen's next-generation 2011 Passat is expected to up the stakes against Germany’s luxury carmakers, with the car’s designers hoping it will be mentioned in the same breath as BMW 3-Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class as VW sees them as the new Passat's key competitors.

It looks like a Civic.

Why did VW copy Honda's headlights?

Revelation

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:32 am

While the next-gen Passat is definitely better looking then the current garden-variety Passat (and I'm definitely a fan of the next-gen station wagon's looks) I must question VW's marketing strategy. Why are the positioning the Passat to compete again the 3-series and the C-class? I thought that the excellent Audi A4/A6 was supposed to fight the C-class and 3-series in the marketplace?

I agree.

This Passat is nice enough, but doesn't seem to me to look "upscale" enough to compete with the 3 series.

Audi A4 is a better match.

The front end of that Passat looks really Japanese. Switch the badge to Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda and I bet most people would think it's a Japanese car.

I don't think the 3 series has much to worry about from Audi/VW, at least in the US market. I think the Infiniti G Series is more competetive. IMHO the Audi is close on interior styling to BMW, but is way behind in driving dynamics. G Series is a bit behind on styling, but catching up fast on driving dynamics, and ahead on price and raw power.

I hear there's a big tussle within the VW/Audi group as to how to take on the 3 series and win. I don't think this Passat will change things much. Maybe it would if it has a cheap enough price to undermine the 3 series, but I don't think most 3 series customers are all that price sensitive and I don't think VW can afford to undercut the 3 series by enough to matter.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Mir

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:47 am

That's a great looking car, but if the Passat is to compete with the C-Class and 3-Series, what is the CC for (to say nothing of Audi)? The Jetta is a nice car as well, but it isn't going to compete with the Accord and Camrys and Fusions - it's too small. By trying to compete with MB and BMW, VW is going to have to price themselves out of that market.

I'd much rather see them leave the toys on the CC, and have the Passat as their largest basic sedan - there are people out there who want the size and handling, but don't need the massive sophistication.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Francoflier

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 am

While the next-gen Passat is definitely better looking then the current garden-variety Passat (and I'm definitely a fan of the next-gen station wagon's looks

The first doctored professional shoots of high end versions always attract the eye, but wait until you have seen a few on the roads, and I bet you'll find it as dull and boring as the last one. It is still the same bland shape, with a new face, tail lights and other minor modifications.
Not a bad looking car, but not one that makes you think think you absolutely positively need one...

Quoting Revelation (Reply 3):
don't think this Passat will change things much.

Don't think so either.

but I don't think most 3 series customers are all that price sensitive and I don't think VW can afford to undercut the 3 series by enough to matter.

Nope, and while a BMW is a phenomenally accomplished machine, many people are still drawn to it because of the badge. And that's something VW will never have. I'd rather they kept making cheaper, reliable and fun to drive cars rather than desperately chasing a market they'll never dominate.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

jush

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:48 am

The station wagon looks too much like the Scirocco.
The rest I like but I wonder why all the car makers e.g. Audi and VW do all these sharp edges on cars. They all look the same really.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

RayChuang

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Meanwhile, Ford of Europe will surprise everyone with a new Mondeo model coming at the same time as the new Passat that will at least have distinctive styling (thanks to Ford's Kinetic design philosophy) and not look conservative like VW's of late have been.

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 pm

How they want to compete against luxury car makers with something called "People's Car"?
And if they do, what is Audi for?
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

jush

Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 7):
Meanwhile, Ford of Europe will surprise everyone with a new Mondeo model coming at the same time as the new Passat that will at least have distinctive styling (thanks to Ford's Kinetic design philosophy) and not look conservative like VW's of late have been.

Who wants to drive a Ford. Noone does that voluntarily in Europe.
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

aero145

Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Looking forward to seeing how the new Passat will be.

The rear of the limousine version looks like a Phæton, anyone agree with me there?

IH8BY

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Volkswagen seems to have an impending identity crisis on its hands. It can't keep pushing forever upwards, for fear of encroaching on Audi's territory, but as Ford and others keep raising their game in terms of quality, Volkswagen is losing the edge that earned it the slight price premium of these other brands. That Seat and Skoda are becoming increasingly mainstream too would seem to be putting further pressure on VW to push itself upmarket. Problem is, I think there's a price ceiling on a Volkswagen, and I think a prudent VW would be one that doesn't try and push that ceiling, especially in the current climate.

Quoting Jush (Reply 9):

I'd disagree, and the sales figures, reviews, and awards for many of Ford's current European cars would tend to back that up.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

TylerDurden

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 pm

with the car%u2019s designers hoping it will be mentioned in the same breath as BMW 3-Series and Mercedes Benz C-Class

They'll mention it all right. If only to mention what a dismal failure it is in comparison.

The 3-Series has been the benchmark in it's sector...not even Audi or Mercedes can match it.

If they are delivered with fwd then they will be relegated immediately into the 'also ran' category. With 280 horses, I would think 4Motion would be standard (?)

And yeah...it does look like a Civic. A big, angry one.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 pm

So long as they offer some other options on wheels.  yuck  those things are fugly.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

RayChuang

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 9):

Then why is the new version of the Ford Fiesta such a big hit in Europe?

swissy

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:37 pm

Have to agree with some of you guys, front looks like a civic on steroids, like the current front grill 100% better, rear looks more like an Audi.....

It seems there is some very good stuff coming in the next 2-3 from VW, Ford & Opel.... Big grin

Cheerios,

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:56 am

I don't mind the looks, and it doesn't remind me of the Civic at all. At least it's good looking unlike the ghastly Civic.

Why are the positioning the Passat to compete again the 3-series and the C-class?

Why not? The Passat (regardless of the CC's or Phaeton's existence) has ultimately always been VWs flagship model, the Jetta/Bora their mid range model and all others their entry models.

As with all Passats, I'm sure this one will be based on a modified A4 or A6 chassis. Usually extended slightly in the former, or shortened in the latter case.

My first car was a '91 Passat Variant. I really miss that car.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
what is the CC for

Call it blasphemy, but that's VW's attempt to get up MB's CL/CLS territory, for half the price. And quite frankly, the CC is great value.

greaser

Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 9):

I hope you are joking. I know this isn't saying much, but Ford makes the best cars from the US. That's just a fact. Ford also makes some better cars than dare I say VW. The first thing I thought when i got into an r32 I thought my god this thing's dreary inside. Of course it's all preference (hence we all dont buy the same car), but I think the only quality gap is in the current american models, not the ones in Europe. Perhaps a better way is to say the only quality gap is that in the public perception. I do think the north american 2010 fusion is a nice car, too.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 16):
And quite frankly, the CC is great value.

I love the CC and CLS, but have you seen the CLS's resale values? You can't buy one of these cars as your primary. Most people turn off the moment you hear "seats 4" in a sedan. I think there's a market for these cars...just not a very big one. Great to look at though!

My opinion is VW will always be a value-oriented brand. I think very few would make the switch, because the BMW badge is worth ten times that of a VW's. I think it'd be a shame if VW want to move more and more upscale and forget about the masses; opel would be the only reasonably-priced german carmaker then.
Now you're really flying

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:39 am

A6

A6 competes against the E class and 5 Series, it's a much bigger car than a 3 series or C class.

The front end of that Passat looks really Japanese

The front end of the Passat looks like the front end of a Sirocco or Golf 6.

IMHO the Audi is close on interior styling to BMW

As an E90 3 series owner I completely disagree, Audi has it all over BMW for interiors, I'm quite jealous of my co workers new A4, it's fit and finish are better than anything BMW or just about anyone else south of Rolls Royce or Bentley can do.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 7):
Meanwhile, Ford of Europe will surprise everyone with a new Mondeo model coming at the same time

The Mondeo and Opel Insignia are the true competitors for the Passat, sure some folks who are looking at A4, 3 series and C class might go Passat due to its cheaper price and greater interior space but those same people could also buy a Mondeo or Insignia.

pelican

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 am

What's the problem with VW saying their next Passat is meant to compete against the 3-Series and the C-Class? It's just marketing. It sounds better than competition of the Mondeo or the Honda Accord. Always aim upwards...

Quoting Greaser (Reply 17):
I think it'd be a shame if VW want to move more and more upscale and forget about the masses; opel would be the only reasonably-priced german carmaker then.

For this task they have other models and different brands like Skoda and Seat...

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):
Audi has it all over BMW for interiors, I'm quite jealous of my co workers new A4, it's fit and finish are better than anything BMW or just about anyone else south of Rolls Royce or Bentley can do.

Indeed concerning car interiors Audi is the benchmark.

pelican

greaser

Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Quoting Pelican (Reply 19):
Skoda and Seat...

None of which are german though. I guess my point is why fix something that isnt broken. If you're VW, you own the entire range of vehicles already. Lambo, Bentley, then Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat....why change it up? I know they've increasingly made the A4 bigger and more expensive, so they're really trying to move the Audi ever higher, but it'd be a said day when a passat was no longer a people's car.
Now you're really flying

JJJ

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Quoting Greaser (Reply 20):
but it'd be a said day when a passat was no longer a people's car.

It already is.

A passat (or golf) is significantly more expensive in Europe than a citroen C5, Peugeot 407, Ford Mondeo or Opel Insignia. As someone said previously, VW has Skoda and Seat to fight those.

Not in Audi/BMW/Merc class, but still a comfortable step up (like Saab or Alfa Romeo).

Mir

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 16):
Call it blasphemy, but that's VW's attempt to get up MB's CL/CLS territory, for half the price. And quite frankly, the CC is great value.

It's not blasphemy at all - VW can make very good luxury cars. But in my mind, if VW wants to take on BMW and MB, they should do it with the CC, not the Passat.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:49 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):

It's not blasphemy at all - VW can make very good luxury cars.

Oh I know, I have a huge VW fetish for a reason. But I've been flamed before for saying what you said. Oh well, someday people will learn.

GuitrThree

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 6):
The station wagon looks too much like the Scirocco.

People my age remember the Scirocco as these:

As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

dallasnewark

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 pm

After the VW Phaeton disaster, I have a hard time believing that VW can even be mentioned in the same league as the MB and BMW.

Time will tell, but this statement is way too ambitious right now
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 25):
After the VW Phaeton disaster,

It was only a disaster in the US, and just because people were too shallow to look beyond the VW badge. It still sells decently in Europe. Many important car reviewers and magazines said it is much better in many ways than BMW's, MB's and even Audi's flagship models.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 24):
People my age remember the Scirocco as these:

Such a classic. Great car.

Revelation

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Quoting Greaser (Reply 17):
My opinion is VW will always be a value-oriented brand.

It certainly seems that way in the US.

Decades of advertising frugal innovative cars will not fade overnight.

They'd be better off introducing a new luxury nameplate.

Kind of like Toyota did with Lexus and Nissan did with Infiniti.

Wait! They already have a luxury nameplate - Audi!

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):
As an E90 3 series owner I completely disagree, Audi has it all over BMW for interiors, I'm quite jealous of my co workers new A4, it's fit and finish are better than anything BMW or just about anyone else south of Rolls Royce or Bentley can do.

Ok, you win. As a fellow E90 owner, I just wasn't willing to admit it!  Smile

But it's not like the E90 interior sucks, the A4 interior is very stylish, the E90 has some advantages in terms of functionality.

My test drive of the A4 totally turned me off to its road handing qualities, and that was the deal breaker. A4 was not in the same league as E90 or G35, IMHO.

Quoting Pelican (Reply 19):
What's the problem with VW saying their next Passat is meant to compete against the 3-Series and the C-Class? It's just marketing.

It just doesn't work that well at least in the US.

The great rep they have for frugal innovative cars just doesn't translate well into the luxury/near-luxury market.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 26):
[Phaeton] still sells decently in Europe.

Is that enough, given all the cash they poured into developing the model? Same goes for Touareg too, a flop in the US.

If they half of that money and used it to lower the cost of production of their core Golf/Jetta/Passat models and the other half into improving Audi road handling and cost, they'd be a lot better off, IMHO.

dallasnewark

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
Is that enough, given all the cash they poured into developing the model? Same goes for Touareg too, a flop in the US.

If they half of that money and used it to lower the cost of production of their core Golf/Jetta/Passat models and the other half into improving Audi road handling and cost, they'd be a lot better off, IMHO.

Totally agree with that. Instead of going into unchartered waters with Phaeton and to a smaller degree with Touareg where they got their tales handed to them, the money should have gone into an improvement of a sluggish performance of the A4 and the A6. With all the niceties of the interior and build quality of these cars, they are very sluggish when it comes to performance, especially the A4 when compated to it's competition of BMW 3 Series, Infiniti G, and Lexus IS350.
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

Revelation

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 28):
Totally agree with that. Instead of going into unchartered waters with Phaeton and to a smaller degree with Touareg where they got their tales handed to them, the money should have gone into an improvement of a sluggish performance of the A4 and the A6. With all the niceties of the interior and build quality of these cars, they are very sluggish when it comes to performance, especially the A4 when compated to it's competition of BMW 3 Series, Infiniti G, and Lexus IS350.

I did have an interesting test drive of the A4.

The salesman said he was the only one working, so would I mind if I took the car out by myself?

It was a glorious Sunday morning, so I took the keys and a few of my favorite CDs and went for a half hour ride.

I found at highway speeds (well, above highway speeds!) it just didn't want to hold a lane. I had to keep correcting it.

I also found both the acceleration and the braking to be really twitchy and uneven.

I also think it could have used a bit more horsepower for its weight.

The G35 creamed it on road handing, raw horsepower and price/performance. I just didn't like the G35's interior at all, and it was definitely less refined than the E90, but clearly an up and coming threat.

Some how I just don't see the VW/Audi Group pulling out all the stops needed to make the A4 good enough to threaten the 3 Series. It's a shame, because the A4 has a lot of great qualities, and threats to the 3 Series help keep its price in line.

Kiwirob

Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:53 pm

It still sells decently in Europe.

No it doesn't and it never did sell well. I think I read somewhere that the Continential GT and Flying Spur out sell it. It's a great buy second hand.

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 25):
After the VW Phaeton disaster

It is a good car but a huge steep to far for VW, plus why would you buy one when you could get an A8.

stasisLAX

Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 30):
It is a good car but a huge steep to far for VW, plus why would you buy one when you could get an A8.

Exactly my point with the next-gen Passat! Why would VW go after the C-class and 3-series with the Passat? Go after the Mondeo, Maxima, Insignia, G37, Malibu, etc. customers with the Passat. Target the Audi models to compete with Mercedes and BMW.

VW's marketing strategy is bizarre, IMO. And please bring the Polo to the U.S. as the same model as is sold in Europe, VW! Learn what Ford learned by having 2 different version of the Focus. VW buyers here are really not interested in the proposed Honda Fit/Kia Soul rip-off version of the Polo. We want the real Polo....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

EddieDude

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:56 am

The Passat will continue to fight the likes of the Insignia, the Mondeo, the 407, etcetera for customers. It is a car in that league and that is not going to change for the coming generation. The A4 is Volkswagen group's answer to the 3-Series and the C-Class, and I expect it will continue to be.

The assertion by the media and by VW (if that is the case) that the next Passat will rival the BMW and the Mercedes Benz derives from the fact that the next Passat will be equipped with a number of technologies and features that family cars such as the Mondeo and the Insignia do not have yet and may not get in the near future... in fact, these technologies and features are still unavailable (or available as options only) in the compact executive segment (i.e., the 3-Series, the C-Class, etc.). In this respect, the media has speculated (and VW perhaps expects) that a number of people who have in mind buying a 3-Series or C-Class may turn to look at the Passat... they would be getting a roomier car with technology that is equal to or even more advanced than the two more premium vehicles, at a reduced price.

So make no mistake, the Passat is and will continue to be a family car that will be in the same class as the Mondeo, 407, etc. It is just that its technology will allow it to give the 3-Series and C-Class a run for their money. Also, consider that the VW Passat, with its front-drive chassis (and bigger size), will never be in the same league of the 3-Series and C-Class in terms of handling and excitement.

One more thing. VW will launch an all-new midsize sedan in the U.S. to battle the Camry, Accord, 6, Malibu, Fusion, etcetera. This car will not be the same as the next-generation Passat.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

JJJ

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 am

It was only a disaster in the US, and just because people were too shallow to look beyond the VW badge. It still sells decently in Europe. Many important car reviewers and magazines said it is much better in many ways than BMW's, MB's and even Audi's flagship models.

Sold (sells) very poorly. The Touareg was a relative success, though.

VW still enjoys a much better brand placement in Europe than it does in the US, though.

RayChuang

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 am

From what I've read, VW plans two models more aimed for the American market:

1) A new sedan (possibly wagon) based on a slightly enlarged version of the Golf Mk. VI platform, powered by either the 2.0-liter I-4 turbocharged engine rated at 200 bhp or the 2.0-liter I-4 TDI engine, possibly uprated from 140 bhp to maybe more like 155-160 bhp.

2) A Plus version of the new Polo, essentially a "tall wagon" powered by at least the 1.6-liter I-4 engine rated at 125 bhp. VW could offer the 1.6-liter TDI engine rated at 105 bhp if they can certify the engine the same way they certified the 2.0-liter TDI engine.

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 32):
VW will launch an all-new midsize sedan in the U.S. to battle the Camry, Accord, 6, Malibu, Fusion, etcetera. This car will not be the same as the next-generation Passat.

I think you will find that this will be based on the Skoda Superb which is a slightly longer and a lot more spacious inside version of the Passat

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 34):
1) A new sedan (possibly wagon) based on a slightly enlarged version of the Golf Mk. VI platform, powered by either the 2.0-liter I-4 turbocharged engine rated at 200 bhp or the 2.0-liter I-4 TDI engine, possibly uprated from 140 bhp to maybe more like 155-160 bhp.

What's the bet that this will be the facelifted Jetta, think of it as the Jetta version of the Mark 5.5 Golf (I can't bring myself to call it Golf 6 when it is just a facelifted Golf 5) the Wagon will be the facelifted Golf wagon, there isn't enough space between the Golf and Passat to fit another model.

klmcedric

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:18 pm

I own a passat currently. It is muuuuuch bigger and provides heaps of extra space compared
to BMW 3 and Merc C.
I see the passat as a competitor to Ford Mondeo/ Opel Insignia etc.

jush

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 14):
Then why is the new version of the Ford Fiesta such a big hit in Europe?

Yep sorry I should've made that clear. Ford and GM's small cars in Europe do well and are quite good (Fiesta and Corsa).

I was rather talking about middle class.

Regds
jush