EISHN
Topic Author

Ever Gone Back To A Crappy Job?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I quit working in a local Hotel over two years ago. I hated my work, my employer, and most of my colleagues.
Now the former head honchos are gone, and my friend who is currently working there says it's"happytown".
Now that I'm a little older, and little wiser, and perhaps a little braver, I'm going back down there tomorrow to ask for a job, as they are currently hiring, and people who require no training get priority.

So have any of ye ever gone back to a crappy job before?
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

BAViscount

RE: Ever Gone Back To A Crappy Job?

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 pm

I did, and I really shouldn't have!! I didn't go back to the same job, but to the same company. I hated it the first time round, and I hated it even more the second time, even though things had changed a lot, including their office location. The first time I worked there it was my first ever job and I was still very wet behind the ears, but when the chance came up to work there again I assumed that things would have changed for the better, plus I was more mature and a lot more worldly and workplace wise. How wrong I was...I guess it's true what they say, a leopard really can't change its spots!!

[Edited 2009-04-09 15:39:23]
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

OA260

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Michael,
Hope all is well. Normally Id say never go back but considering those that you didnt like have gone and jobs are scarce Id say go for it. Worst case scenario is you leave again lol...

Jobs are not easy to come by so go for it.

EI320

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:40 am

I worked in a hotel last summer. Didn't really like it. The thought of going in was always worse than actually being there though. When it was busy, the time flew. I'm hoping to get the same job again this year because basically, there's nothing else.

I'd say give it another chance, if you still don't like it, you can just pull out again.

By the way, I think I know the exact place your talking about, and possibly the exact person your talking about who who left a few months ago.

dxing

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:54 am

I don't know about crappy, but I've gone back to some "hard" jobs before. Ones that were physically demanding and in which the work conditions were less than ideal.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

EISHN
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:28 pm

I went down there this morning and found out that there is a big Irish Dancing competition on this whole week, and what a horrible sight it was. Dozens of young girls all whored up by their parents. Very surreal atmosphere in there.
Anyway, I filled in an application, and will report back if I hear anything.
As I was walking out of the car park though, I had a lot of bad memories flashing back, but i need the money for numerous things, college, independence, and of course, nights out  Smile
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

EI320

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 5):

I went down there this morning and found out that there is a big Irish Dancing competition on this whole week, and what a horrible sight it was. Dozens of young girls all whored up by their parents. Very surreal atmosphere in there.

Couldn't agree more. 10 year girls walking around with a bucket load of make-up on and their parents loving it  Yeah sure

USPIT10L

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 1):
I did, and I really shouldn't have!! I didn't go back to the same job, but to the same company. I hated it the first time round, and I hated it even more the second time, even though things had changed a lot, including their office location. The first time I worked there it was my first ever job and I was still very wet behind the ears, but when the chance came up to work there again I assumed that things would have changed for the better, plus I was more mature and a lot more worldly and workplace wise. How wrong I was...I guess it's true what they say, a leopard really can't change its spots!!

That was pretty much my experience with DGS (Delta Global Services), minus the new office location. It does help to be more mature and able to handle things, though. I had a lot less stress with them the second time around, but I could see the writing on the wall for summer--more undertrained people with little experience and too much work to shake a stick at!

Quoting EISHN (Thread starter):
I quit working in a local Hotel over two years ago. I hated my work, my employer, and most of my colleagues.
Now the former head honchos are gone, and my friend who is currently working there says it's"happytown".
Now that I'm a little older, and little wiser, and perhaps a little braver, I'm going back down there tomorrow to ask for a job, as they are currently hiring, and people who require no training get priority.

I'm about to do the same thing at a PIT airport hotel (Days Inn). The management changed and I'm starting Sunday! Hopefully it turns out better than the last time I worked with these people. The manager would not schedule days off--he just expected you to keep working! Turns out the guy was fired a few months later.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

sunshine79

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm

I've gone back to the same job twice and it was a big mistake. I've also ended up working for the same company twice after a 'merge' which ended up as a takeove rin my eyes, and that was bad too. It's like relationships, ther's a reason they're an ex.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?