racko

20 Years Ago: Hillsborough Disaster

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 am

20 years ago on this day 96 football fans died in the horrible Hillsborough disaster because of a combination of an outdated stadium and a police force that wasn't able to handle the situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/hillsborough-disaster

While I don't like what the Taylor Report and subsequent changes have let the British football become we can all be thankful that since that day at least in Europe we have been spared of tragedies of that scale at football matches.

EZEIZA

RE: 20 Years Ago: Hillsborough Disaster

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 pm

RIP to everyone who perished there. Luckily things have evolved in a manner that these sort of things are not seen anymore in Europe, and if stadiums have a official capacity, it's for a reason. Some day we will see this in Argentina too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7997924.stm

I didn't know one of Gerrard's cousins was one of the 96 victims.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

oly720man

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Quoting Racko (Thread starter):
because of a combination of an outdated stadium and a police force that wasn't able to handle the situation.

I think another contributing factor was that football fans in general were basically seen as trouble makers by the authorities given all the trouble that had occurred in the 1980s. So, when problems did start to occur it was seen as "same old story" rather than a real tragedy occurring. There was a program about this on tv on saturday and some people said that they tried to get the attention of the police to say people were getting crushed and they just got blanked. Even when people got over the fences to escape the crush, the initial reaction was that it was a pitch invasion, not a genuine escape from real trouble.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

EZEIZA

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 2):
I think another contributing factor was that football fans in general were basically seen as trouble makers by the authorities given all the trouble that had occurred in the 1980s. So, when problems did start to occur it was seen as "same old story" rather than a real tragedy occurring. There was a program about this on tv on saturday and some people said that they tried to get the attention of the police to say people were getting crushed and they just got blanked. Even when people got over the fences to escape the crush, the initial reaction was that it was a pitch invasion, not a genuine escape from real trouble.

Absolutely agree with that, and I see it here way too often. Football fans are troublemakers, not people .. until they realise that something is really happening.
However, the police does share responsability for Hillsborough because it's the police that let those thousands of fans inside the stadium knowing that the max capacity had already been covered and passed.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...