Phoenix9
Topic Author

Another Obama "Scandal"?

Fri May 08, 2009 3:42 am

Well this borders on ridiculous...well it is ridiculous. The conservatives now have a problem that Obama used Dijon mustard on his burger. I mean c'mon!!

From the article

"WASHINGTON - The United States is in the midst of a devastating recession, mired in two overseas wars and grappling with a swine flu outbreak, but conservative critics are assailing President Barack Obama on another pressing issue: his choice of burger topping.

Dijongate is in full force, with Fox News and a conservative blogger leading the charge against the president for his choice of the apparently un-American mustard atop his cheeseburger during a recent impromptu lunch stop with Vice-President Joe Biden.

There's no evidence of wiretapped hotel rooms or a Deep Throat lurking in the shadows, but there are indeed accusations of a coverup - MSNBC, apparently, edited out the president's request for Dijon in order to help Obama maintain his "man of the people" street cred.

Fox's Sean Hannity has been telling his viewers that MSNBC - and reporter Andrea Mitchell in particular - are trying to hide Obama's Dijon-loving ways from the public. Hannity has been referring to the president's lunch as his "fancy burger."

Comedian Bill Maher, a longtime libertarian, recently maligned the right and their fixation on the trivial in an opinion piece in the Los Angeles Times.

"Here are the big issues for normal people: the war, the economy, the environment, mending fences with our enemies and allies, and the rule of law," Maher wrote.

"And here's the list of Republican obsessions since President Obama took office: that his birth certificate is supposedly fake, he uses a TelePrompTer too much, he bowed to a Saudi guy, Europeans like him, he gives inappropriate gifts, his wife shamelessly flaunts her upper arms, and he shook hands with Hugo Chavez and slipped him the nuclear launch codes."

Conservatives, Maher wrote, are now behaving like "the bitter divorced guy whose country has left him - obsessing over it, haranguing it, blubbering one minute about how much you love it and vowing the next that if you cannot have it, nobody will," he wrote.

"But ... your country is not coming back to you. She's found somebody new. And it's a black guy."

Full article here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090507/world/obama_dijon_attack

[Edited 2009-05-07 20:47:51]
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Falcon84

RE: Another Obama "Scandal"?

Fri May 08, 2009 4:00 am

I think since the fact the Dijon is considered French is the problem they have with it.  Big grin

And if this isn't proof that the GOP is READY TO LEAD the nation again, I dont' know what is!  Yeah sure

Are they serious with this crap?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Phoenix9
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 4:02 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
Dijon is considered French is the problem they have with it

So shall it be renamed Freedom Mustard? It will go well with freedom fries  

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
Are they serious with this crap?

Certainly looks like it!

[Edited 2009-05-07 21:02:37]
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

TransIsland

Fri May 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Hang on a moment... IF Obama had gone for ordinary American ballbark mustard (yuck!), what are the chances that the brand would've been FRENCH'S??

I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

D L X

Fri May 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 2):
So shall it be renamed Freedom Mustard?

Freedom Sauce.

Oh, and they'll also have to call it a "We won the war" Sandwich, because Hamburgers come from Germany. Or, maybe just a Victory Sandwich.

Francoflier

Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 pm

It IS an outrage alright... That Dijon mustard they sell in the US is nothing like the one from its namesake. Why they even call it 'Dijon' is beyond me...

I'm afraid that mustard your president ate is more american than apple pie.

Wink
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Arrow

Fri May 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 2):
So shall it be renamed Freedom Mustard? It will go well with freedom fries

And what will they call his Canadian designed and manufactured Blackberry?

Boy, this guy is in deep doodoo. French mustard, Canadian computer, what next? How does this fit with the "buy America" provisions in the stimulus package. And he smokes, too, doesn't he? If he gets caught with a Cuban cigar, I can see impeachment proceedings getting underway post haste.

Seriously -- are these Fox guys nuts? The only thing more troubling than their juvenile approach to politics is that they probably have a large and loyal audience. That's the truly scary part of it.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

cytz_pilot

Fri May 08, 2009 8:03 pm

I think his choice of mustard in the first place is offensive and disrespectful to the familes of WW1 soldiers killed with mustard gas. Maybe he should have avoided this explosive condiment altogether.

D L X

Fri May 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 7):
I think his choice of mustard in the first place is offensive and disrespectful to the familes of WW1 soldiers killed with mustard gas.

good one!!!

Silly

OHLHD

Mon May 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Wow, what a great world without any other problems were are living in.  Yeah sure

max550

Mon May 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Who prefers mustard? Texans and Republicans apparently.
http://www.newmajority.com/ShowScrol...ee68fd-d510-43d1-8b52-656f064b0aa6

Tugger

Mon May 11, 2009 7:51 pm

10..... 9..... 8..... Counting down to when someone posts that this is not about mustard, its about the leftwing, liberal, effete, non-god fearing, Obama-loving press tried to change the news and hide this hideous affront to national order and dignity. How can you deny this!?!

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 5):
It IS an outrage alright... That Dijon mustard they sell in the US is nothing like the one from its namesake. Why they even call it 'Dijon' is beyond me...

Hey you guys sued the world to stop using "Champagne", why not do the same with Dijon?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

RussianJet

Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm

People who object to someone eating Dijon mustard on the grounds that it is French and 'un-American' may think of themselves as patriotic, but they are in fact simply xenophobic.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Francoflier

Tue May 12, 2009 12:05 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 11):
Hey you guys sued the world to stop using "Champagne", why not do the same with Dijon?

Those in the mustard marketing industry were never smart enough to legally 'register' the Dijon name as the Champagne and blue cheese people did...  Wink
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.