MadameConcorde
Topic Author

10 Genes Of A Human Flu Virus, Furiously Evolving

Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 am

I am not one to panic as I travelled to Argentina via the US right in the middle of the swine flu outbreak not worrying a bit about getting infected during my trip.

Still, these mutating viruses are something we have to take into serious consideration. There is not a strain of flu but maybe thousands different ones.

10 Genes, Furiously Evolving
Evolutionary biology may sometimes seem like an arcane academic pursuit, but just try telling that to Gavin Smith, a virologist at Hong Kong University. For the past week, Dr. Smith and six other experts on influenza in Hong Kong, Arizona, California and Britain have been furiously analyzing the new swine flu to figure out how and when it evolved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/health/05virus.html?_r=2&em
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ManuCH
Crew

RE: 10 Genes Of A Human Flu Virus, Furiously Evolving

Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 am

Taking them into serious consideration, yes. That's what all the scientists are hopefully doing. Panicking because of this - hell, no. Please, somebody tell the media to stop it.

As the article says, there are billions of viruses who evolve all the time. If we have to start screaming that the end of the world is near for every new virus, we wouldn't have anything else to talk about.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

UAXDXer

Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 1):
Please, somebody tell the media to stop it.

Agreed... The media caused much much more damange than the swine it's self.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 am

I thought it was media hype worldwide since the start of the outbreak so I went on my trip without worrying about it for even one second. All of the airport staff wearing masks at EZEIZA was rather strange. I noticed a lot of Asian flyers were wearing masks too.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde