cpd

New Generation Of IPhones

Sat May 16, 2009 1:13 am

Some new iPhones have been shown off on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inside-apple

The Nano is shocking (what loud colours) and the unibody iPhone (32gb no less) is nothing short of stunning.

B747forever

RE: New Generation Of IPhones

Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 am

Wow, they looks so beautiful. Love them!
Work Hard, Fly Right

Klaus

Sat May 16, 2009 5:29 am

Just the usual rendered fakes. You can still find all kinds of fakes cooked up by people before the actual iPhone had been released. Funny stuff!  cool 

Qantasistheway

Sat May 16, 2009 10:19 am

Does anybody know when the new iPhone will be released? And when it will be launched in the UK? I have read some articles that are tending to the end of June. They also say that a family will be released. Does anybody have any information?

cpd

Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 2):
Just the usual rendered fakes. You can still find all kinds of fakes cooked up by people before the actual iPhone had been released. Funny stuff! cool

I was hoping that someone in the know wouldn't reply.  Wink

I also doubt there will be a family of iPhones - the existing one is small enough.

Klaus

Sat May 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 4):
I was hoping that someone in the know wouldn't reply.

Oops. Sorry!

Quoting Cpd (Reply 4):
I also doubt there will be a family of iPhones - the existing one is small enough.

Indeed. An iPhone without the capability to run the apps from the Store would not make a lot of sense.

panam330

Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 pm

TUAW and Engadget haven't even posted these. I'm betting they're fakes (as they usually are), but if not, I'll be happy to upgrade my EDGE iPhone for one of these in June. If not, I'll just keep it until it dies.

cpd

Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):

Oops. Sorry!

No problem!  Smile I'd really like the next iPhone to look like that Unibody version. And 32GB would be useful.

Hmm, maybe it's time for me to fire up 3D Studio Max..  Wink

LTU932

Sun May 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking of getting an iPhone myself (combined with the usual, compulsory T-Mobile Plan) upon my return to Germany. As I'm unfamiliar with all the other phone companies that exist nowadays, I'm going for T-Mobile in any case.

My current phone, a Sony Ericsson W810i, is going to be given away, because I intend to make the switch to UMTS.

DocLightning

Mon May 18, 2009 2:03 am

I have one now. The big thing is that the current one is really slow. What they really need is an upgrade to the processor so that it actually does what you want it to do when you want it to. The other thing it needs is more memory.

These shortcomings, for now, are not sufficient for me to want to replace it. Mine's not even a year old. Until a system faster than 3G becomes widely available, there isn't really much that it needs other than purely software upgrades to allow for, say, MMS photo messaging.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Klaus

Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
The big thing is that the current one is really slow.

"Slow" in what respect? My iPod Touch feels quite snappy. (Its CPU is a bit faster than the one in the iPhone, but it should not really be noticeable.)

DocLightning

Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):

"Slow" in what respect? My iPod Touch feels quite snappy. (Its CPU is a bit faster than the one in the iPhone, but it should not really be noticeable.)

Having to wait 5 seconds before you can, say, type a text message is annoying.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Klaus

Mon May 18, 2009 6:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):

The iPod Touch does of course have no SMS, but invoking one of the other apps in order to enter text (Mail etc.) is near-instantaneous.

Are your delays possibly dependent on the quality of your network connection? Background activity?

I doubt that it's a matter of CPU speed.

Aeroflot777

Mon May 18, 2009 7:55 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 12):

I doubt that it's a matter of CPU speed.

Same problems on my iPhone as well.

Aeroflot777

UAXDXer

Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 am

Don't have the problem on thge 1st gen iphone. At least not on my first gen anyways.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

cpd

Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 am

Mine is a iPhone 3G 16GB - it has no delays. Maybe your one just needs the OS / content reinstalled from scratch. What you've described is quite odd.

Klaus

Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 am

Another possibility: Do you have the original OS X firmware from Apple installed or is your iPhone "jailbroken"? Some of the "improvements" done by the jailbreakers are reported to have rather adverse effects on performance and run time.

Gofly

Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 15):
Mine is a iPhone 3G 16GB - it has no delays. Maybe your one just needs the OS / content reinstalled from scratch. What you've described is quite odd.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 12):

The iPod Touch does of course have no SMS, but invoking one of the other apps in order to enter text (Mail etc.) is near-instantaneous.

I would have to agree with Klaus and Cpd, on my iPhone typing a text is instantaneous; it's exactly the same with Mail and any other app that requires the keypad. I'd say your phone needs some treatment, Doc.

Edited because I can't type...  Wink

[Edited 2009-05-18 06:06:28]
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

D L X

Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 14):
Don't have the problem on thge 1st gen iphone. At least not on my first gen anyways

No, this is a widespread problem with all iphones. I have a first gen ipone, and it often takes forever to switch to an application, the SMS program being the worst offender.

Oh, and those iPhone photos don't really impress me much. The "nano" just looks like a repainted 3G, and the "unibody" just looks like a polished first gen.

I want the new iPhone to have a processor that's twice as fast. That's it, really.

ohthedrama747

Mon May 18, 2009 2:36 pm

The rumours are that the processor and memory will get a boost.

WWDC where the 3G was announced last year runs between June 8 - 12 this year. Hopefully they will announce the new one then.

I don't think they'll have a family of phones but then again who knows? Apple do as they please.

G

2H4

Mon May 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 18):
No, this is a widespread problem with all iphones. I have a first gen ipone, and it often takes forever to switch to an application, the SMS program being the worst offender.

Same here. The camera, in particular, is frustratingly slow to open. I've missed quite a few "spur of the moment" shots due to the lag.

Lately, applications on my (non-jailbroken) phone have been crashing quite a bit, too. Last night, I tried to switch from one A.net forum to another SIX times. Safari crashed each time, and I gave up.

Looking forward to getting the upcoming iPhone, but first I have to repair/replace my Mac Mini with a dead hard drive. Apple products have not been good to me...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

EA CO AS

Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 am

I'm sorry - am I the only one wondering why this thread still exists? The premise, judging by the title, is that the OP was showing off a new generation of the devices.

Obviously, that's not the case. And apparently the OP knew this, but posted anyway.

So again - why is this thread here?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Klaus

Tue May 19, 2009 5:07 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):

You are aware that most of the threads around here don't really serve a significantly useful purpose...?

2H4

Tue May 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):

The new generation of iPhones doesn't have to actually exist for us to discuss what they will be like and how they might be different.

Thus, this thread is just as relevant as a thread discussing the successor to the 737.  yes 

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Cadet57

Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):
Apple products have not been good to me...

Tell me about it. My MBP just crapped out. First the hdd went, fine ok. Replace that. Then the replacement goes, as soon as I get it. Ok, replace it. Then the left fan goes, now the right, and im pretty sure the display is going tits up too. So I said screw it and bought a pretty nice "preowned" mbp on ebay for $700.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

CrimsonNL

Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I bought an Ipod touch because I found the Iphone's subscription too expensive. Now as soon as my current phone breaks down my Ipod goes on Ebay and I buy an Iphone! I just love the ipod touch but miss some of the extra's the Iphone has. The GPS and Mobile internet for example!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

baguy

Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 pm

I am hoping to get one pretty much on release as my 1st gen has just packed up. I can't remember where I read it but apparently they will be unlocked to any network in the UK by Christmas.

BAguy

Ken777

Tue May 19, 2009 10:22 pm

The interesting part of following Apple is that they are so hard to guess - and a lot of people are guessing.

Best guess is that there will be a new hardware update, but more important for me is the OS update. I believe that the OS 3.0 will be a significant improvement.

I have a 9 month old iPhone and love it. No need to upgrade this year - mainly because I believe that the current version is like the 286 PCs. Blinding powerful when they came out, but then the 386 was announced. I'm going to wait for the "Pentium" version with a minimum of 64 Gigs of memory. Maybe Apple will deliver a dual core chip for the iPhone/touch.  Smile

NoUFO

Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
An iPhone without the capability to run the apps from the Store would not make a lot of sense.

Not that an iPhone without the possibility of typing a "§" would make a lot of sense ....  Yeah sure
I support the right to arm bears

Klaus

Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 28):
Not that an iPhone without the possibility of typing a "§" would make a lot of sense ....

Now that absolutely overrides any other possible concern! Even the most primitive and horribly unusable phone would be the better choice if it just had the paragraph character!

I think I've used this character for the last time ... let me think ... must have been a few years ago. If you hadn't brought it up, it would probably have taken me another several years until I had even noticed it missing in the current firmware. It might well be present in the then-current version as well...