itsjustme

What Do You Do To Unwind?

Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 am

For me, it's a long motorcycle ride. Typically up the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica or Malibu. How about you?

vikkyvik

RE: What Do You Do To Unwind?

Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 am

Mostly, I play guitar (or bass or drums).

I don't usually do it specifically to unwind - I just play because I like playing. But it definitely has the side effect of relaxing me.

Quoting Itsjustme (Thread starter):
Typically up the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica or Malibu. How about you?

When I lived in the Boston area, I would frequently go on drives to unwind. I'd just follow random windy back roads for miles. I just don't have as much desire to do that in LA - I'd have to drive for an hour just to get to random windy back roads.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

YVRLTN

Tue May 19, 2009 4:37 am

I will often go to YVR after work and watch the planes and that takes my mind off my day or I will go to the bar for a drink.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 1):
I don't usually do it specifically to unwind - I just play because I like playing. But it definitely has the side effect of relaxing me.

Same with me when I play my keyboard.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

iairallie

Tue May 19, 2009 5:20 am

read, pull weeds, enjoy a long dinner out with friends.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ShyFlyer

Tue May 19, 2009 5:24 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Thread starter):
long motorcycle ride

Oh, dat's a goood one. I need a new helmet before I do another one though.

Once upon a time, there was flying. An hour in the Cessna took away a whole week's worth of work related nastiness. I've found writing to be a good release, that is until writer's block takes hold.

When all else fails, there is smooth jazz. Or a Mel Brooks movie.  Big grin
I lift things up and put them down.

fr8mech

Tue May 19, 2009 9:00 am

It depends on what I'm wound up about.

If I'm wound up with stress I'll go the the shooting range and burn up a box or two. If it's just day to day crap, I'll settle down and read whatever I'm currently reading.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

747m8te

Tue May 19, 2009 9:36 am

After spending a lovely day working at the airport with my workmates, checking in pax, playing with planes  cloudnine  ...(yeah I enjoy my job)

Um well to unwind I do what i'm doing now, resting listening to some music with my laptop while reading these forums and looking at pictures here  Wink
Flown on:DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400,EMB145,E170,E175,E190,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380,MD80,B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

KFLLCFII

Tue May 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 5):
If I'm wound up with stress I'll go the the shooting range and burn up a box or two.

thumbsup   thumbsup 

Or head to the beach, relax in my chair, take up the sun, sights, and sounds...which is hopefully nothing more than the sound of the gentle waves lapping against the shore.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Cadet57

Tue May 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 1):
When I lived in the Boston area, I would frequently go on drives to unwind. I'd just follow random windy back roads for miles

Oh we have lots of windy back roads!  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

TylerDurden

Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm

Sometimes a strenuous workout (at the gym...or in bed).
Works for me.

pawsleykat

Tue May 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 9):
Sometimes a strenuous workout (at the gym...or in bed).

Rofl. Although I don't like the sound of the gym, the other option is definitely a good one (tried and tested  Silly)

Apart from that, when I need to relax, I have a glass of milk, listen to music and read. Either one at a time or all together. I used to love writing short creative stories, and am beginning to get back into doing that  Smile

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

DC10extender

Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Drink

The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

HAWK21M

Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Def a Long drive on Bike/Car.
Alternately Just rest  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AGM100

Tue May 19, 2009 6:40 pm

1. Playing sports with the kids and coaching . Right now I spend allot of time getting my team ready .. I love it I love all of it. And I love being with my kids ... they are all at a great age for doing all kinds of things. The baseball season is winding down and its time for football baby ! My son starts practice June 1st , so we are running allot working on strength and lateral power work outs. Just seeing them grow up ... grow stronger and listening to their ideas and thoughts is a wonderful experience .

2. Fishing in Mexico ... getting ready for it, last week of May hopefully

3. Girlfriend .. 's....

4. Boxing... Hitting the heavy bag ... it is still the best psychology ever
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

steeler83

Tue May 19, 2009 8:09 pm

I listen to music on my computer and sometimes I listen to music courtesy of Youtube. More often than not, I am not very lucky with youtube music. They're extremely strict with those copyright laws!!!

"audio disabled" or "this video has been blocked due to copyright issues, so you're listening to this:..."

whatever...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

seemyseems

Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 14):
They're extremely strict with those copyright laws!!!

They are very strict, a lot of videos have been banned, my YouTube channel is down to one video!!

I like watching stuff on NatGeo if I need to relax, or go on the PC and look up interesting things.
seemyseems

RobertNL070

Tue May 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Unwinding for me is a spot of gardening or a cycle ride to the beach or (rarely) spotting at AMS.

Smile
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

LTU932

Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Sitting in front of the computer, and sometimes playing the guitar. However I also found that driving has a soothing effect on me sometimes, even though I tend to swear at the idiots on the road (e.g. those, who overtake me while on a mountain road, knowing that no overtaking is allowed on a mountain road).

In Hamburg, one thing I wish to resume is my frequent rides through the rapid transit and bus system of the HVV. I used to do that all the time when I was a kid.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

imiakhtar

Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Whilst at university, I usually go down to the badminton courts and play a few games of singles/doubles. Do you have badminton in the US?

During vacation, my friends often arrange 5-a-side football games/tournaments and on the weekends, my time is taken up by cricket.

If the weather is good, I don't mind a hike or scramble. Tryfan in Snowdonia is a particular favourite.

I guess as long as I'm outdoors and active, I'm a happy chappy.

Smile
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

WESTERN737800

Tue May 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Get out the laptop, listen to music & surf the net. Work out and play basketball with my friends. Doing anything with my friends, mainly complaining about work.
Bring back Western Airlines!

vikkyvik

Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 8):
Oh we have lots of windy back roads!

I'm sure you do way out west, but I prefer them to at least be paved.  duck 

(by the way I got a decent photo of Westover (well, I hope it's decent) from my flight from BOS to LAX today)
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

itsjustme

Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 am

I posed this question to a guy at work. Now, you should know, this is one of the meekest, mildest guys you'd ever want to meet. His way of unwinding after a particularly stressful day on the job is to go to our workout room and "Pummel the crap of the heavy bag". To each their own.

Thanks for the feedback, thus far, by the way....

Cadet57

Wed May 20, 2009 3:47 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 20):
I'm sure you do way out west, but I prefer them to at least be paved.

Hey hey hey, the roads do go all dirt and gravel til you get up in the berkshires or up in the middle of nowhere in Amherst and Heath. Long story, and im still not entirely sure how i got there  tongue 

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 20):
(by the way I got a decent photo of Westover (well, I hope it's decent) from my flight from BOS to LAX today)

Wicked, maybe you saw my house  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

DocLightning

Wed May 20, 2009 2:49 pm

How many of us here are men?
*97% of A.net raises their hands*
Then we all share at least one "unwinding" activity.  Wink

For me, a good, hard swim workout is my other tactic.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Flyingfox27

Wed May 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I go to the airport....... lol!

babybus

Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

I have a nice cup of tea and sit there thinking about nothing or sort out stuff in a drawer or something like that.

It depends on the thing that has wound me up.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.