sunshine79

How To Get From Malaga To Gibraltar

Sat May 23, 2009 3:20 pm

I might be going to Gibraltar for a couple of days in June and I was wondering how to get there from Malaga. My nearest airport is NCL and prices direct to GIB are quite a bit compared to AGP, and I would have to spend money on travelling to MAN, LTN, LGW. I've been looking at Alsa, and I could possibly ge the bus for €10 from Malaga to San Roque, but when I try to go into book it, it comes up not available. Does anyone know the best way to get there, besides car hire. Thanks in advance.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Gofly

RE: How To Get From Malaga To Gibraltar

Sat May 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Although Gibraltar is one of the places that you have to go to visit, I suspect you will find yourself never wanting to return in your life!

I believe there used to be a bus than ran from Malaga to La Linea, however, I'm not sure whether it still exists. I think you could also get a bus from Malaga to Marbella and get to La Linea from there.

Are there any flights to Jerez from near you? You would be looking at roughly the same travel distance - if you could find a bus.
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

connies4ever

Sat May 23, 2009 3:41 pm

I've spent a fair bit of time around the Malaga/Marbella area. Once you fly into AGP, take the airport bus to the Malaga Central bus terminal. From there you can go via inter-city coach along the coast highway past Marbella to either La Linea or GIB itself, now that the border is open. Wasn't so when I first showed up back in '75, but times have changed for the better.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

us330

Sat May 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Or as an alternative you could just look for the best and fastest way to get to Algeciras from Malaga, seeing as how Gibraltar is right next door.

This thread brings me back fond memories--my friend getting bitten by a monkey, me subsequently being paranoid about the apes everywhere--since they are basically feral and are not afraid of humans--and also watching a guy get busted for drug smuggling while on board my bus back to seville at the la linea station.

jamotcx

Sat May 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Quoting Gofly (Reply 1):
Although Gibraltar is one of the places that you have to go to visit, I suspect you will find yourself never wanting to return in your life!

Speak for yourself! GIB was a lifeline for me when I was living in Jerez and i would happily go back and visit and intend to!

There are regular busses (on quite nice coaches too) that run from Malaga to La Linea and La Linea to Jerez. Ask Mr MYT332 hes used them before.

gkirk

Sat May 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Quoting Jamotcx (Reply 4):
Ask Mr MYT332 hes used them before.

Indeed, or I believe MYT332s beloved trains run from Newcastle to MAN, where ye can connect to a Monarch flight to GIB, First class upgrades on the train for only £ 6  Yeah sure (Or £10 if travelling to/from Scotland)...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

David L

Sat May 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Speak for yourself! ... i would happily go back and visit and intend to!

checkmark  Apart from anything else, it has far too much history for such a small place for me not to go back. And, at the end of the day, not much beats kicking back on the balcony of The Rock hotel in the sun with a drink and looking out over the the harbour and the bay... and Africa.  Smile

sunshine79

Sun May 24, 2009 10:21 am

Ask Mr MYT332 hes used them before.

I forgot he has been to GIB, will text him in a bit.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
or I believe MYT332s beloved trains run from Newcastle to MAN, where ye can connect to a Monarch flight to GIB,

Yeah, but it's around £80 return, plus over £140 for the flight with Monarch, pending their forthcoming possible strike action. The NCL-AGP flight is around £100 then around €10-15 on the bus down to GIB, so I'd rather fly local than trapse down to MAN.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?