Aaron747
Topic Author

Kim's Youngest Son To Be Next 'Dear Leader'

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Well this is a little out of left field...South Korean analysts say they're not sure what to make of it given all the rumors over the last year. Hope it's true - the kid apparently speaks English, has spent considerable time abroad, and is probably aided by having his legitimacy at least partially in question  Wink

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_nkorea_kim_jong_il_s_successor

North Korea's Kim Jong Il has anointed his 26-year-old son — said to be competitive, proficient in English and a heavy drinker — as the next leader of the communist state, news reports said Tuesday...

The son already is being hailed as "Commander Kim," and North Koreans are learning the lyrics to a new song praising him as the next leader, the Dong-a Ilbo newspaper said.

The kid certainly has an interesting background, if all this can be considered true anyway. I dug up this great little nugget in a google search about his mother, Ko Yong-hi, six years deceased (and you already thought the DPRK was strange!):

Ms Ko reportedly caught Mr Kim's eye as one of 2,000 girls employed in the dictator's "pleasure groups". She was a dancer in the Mansudae Art Troupe in Pyongyang. Each "pleasure group" is composed of three teams - a "satisfaction team", which performs sexual services; a "happiness team," which provides massage and a "dancing and singing team".

These teams, recruited from girls' high schools, undergo a six-month training course before they are assigned to one of the dictator's 32 villas and palaces until the age of 25.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-sex-life-is-laid-bare-582632.html

Sounds like a lovely pedigree, no?  biggrin 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

baroque

RE: Kim's Youngest Son To Be Next 'Dear Leader'

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
Sounds like a lovely pedigree, no?

Well at least it puts to rest the thought that N Korea is a communist state, clearly it is a hereditary monarchy.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:05 pm

^
You know that Independent article would be enough to send the place into revolution overnight. Maybe we just need to be dropping laptops in hard-cases into DPRK with the desktop wallpaper saved to the Korean translation of the article...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Doona

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Is this the guy who got picked up by Japanese authorities whilst spending time at Disneyland in Tokyo on a fake passport?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

offloaded

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 pm

A satisfaction team and a happiness team chosen from 2000 girls of high school age up to 25.  eyepopping  Sounds like every bloke's ultimate fantasy! You can keep the singing and dancing team though.

On a serious note, it would be great to think that North Korea had a chance at being run by someone who should be more conciliatory to the South and the west in general. The average North Korean has had it pretty rough for the last 50 years.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

LMP737

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm

North Korea's Kim Jong Il has anointed his 26-year-old son — said to be competitive, proficient in English and a heavy drinker — as the next leader of the communist state, news reports said Tuesday...

Wonderfull, a drunk in his mid twenties, can do anything he wants, who has nuclear weapons and probably has daddy issues.

[Edited 2009-06-02 08:51:33]
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

waterpolodan

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Quoting Offloaded (Reply 4):
On a serious note, it would be great to think that North Korea had a chance at being run by someone who should be more conciliatory to the South and the west in general. The average North Korean has had it pretty rough for the last 50 years.

I have no doubt that this new incarnation of the dear leader will be just as deluded and heinous to his people and the rest of the world in general, perhaps even more so than his father because this guy has spent more time abroad and seen how horribly far behind NK is, so he'll do anything to keep the country blissfully unaware. It still shocks me to think about how totally and completely isolated that country is, I wonder how many more decades of this sort of existence they can handle?

LMP737

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 6):
It still shocks me to think about how totally and completely isolated that country is, I wonder how many more decades of this sort of existence they can handle?

Having seen what happened to the USSR when they loosened their grip a little Kim knows he has to keep and even tighter hold on the country. God knows how long this will go on.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:02 pm

I have a simple question.
Can't secret services get us rid of this dictatorial family so we are done with them for good?  Yeah sure  Confused
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

falstaff

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 5):
a drunk in his mid twenties who can do anything he wants and has nuclear weapons.

I once saw in a documentary that Kim Jong Il was at one time the largest private buyer of cognac in the world. He must have been a drunk too. So like father like son. We already had one drunk so how bad can the next one be.

The documentary was about an eye doctor from Nepal who came to North Korea to do cataract surgery a few years ago. The doctor and his team smuggled cameras in their gear. It was an amazing program

Quoting Baroque (Reply 1):
clearly it is a hereditary monarchy

That is what it looks like.

Sounds like every bloke's ultimate fantasy! You can keep the singing and dancing team though.

I would sign up for that! If I could have 2000 girls I think I would explode.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Maybe we just need to be dropping laptops in hard-cases into DPRK with the desktop wallpaper saved to the Korean translation of the article...

They probably wouldn't know what to do with a computer. We should drop newspapers instead.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
You know that Independent article would be enough to send the place into revolution overnight

They wouldn't believe an independent source. I doubt they could have a revolution either, the average person doesn't have any guns to stand up against anyone.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Pyrex

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):
Is this the guy who got picked up by Japanese authorities whilst spending time at Disneyland in Tokyo on a fake passport?

No, that is his oldest son, who got snubbed for the role. The 26-year old is his youngest son.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

corinthians

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 3):

No...that's Kim Jong-nam. He's the oldest son and he supposedly divides his time between Beijing and Macau and has little to do with his father. Some Japanaese or Chinese station did an interview with him at Beijing airport and he apparently speaks pretty decent English.

aznmadsci

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Sounds like every bloke's ultimate fantasy!

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 9):
If I could have 2000 girls I think I would explode.

2000!!!  eyepopping  For most blokes even a fantasy of just 2 gals would cause them to explode!  biggrin 
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Flighty

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Suddenly it makes sense why they want to stay in power.

GDB

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm

The son of the current leader, who is himself the son of the first leader of NK?
How very proletarian of them.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Just enter the following coordinates into Google Earth:
39° 07'2.725"N, 125°48'3.333"E

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

slider

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 5):
Wonderfull, a drunk in his mid twenties, can do anything he wants, who has nuclear weapons and probably has daddy issues.

Give the kid a break....he's ronery. Oh so ronery...  Smile

LTU932

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Didn't Krazy Kim change his title from "Dear Leader" to "Great Leader"?

baguy

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 15):

????????????????

waterpolodan

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Quoting Baguy (Reply 18):

????????????????

Looks like the dear leader's summer retreat... I see little lakes, pools, palaces, and even a horse track. Too bad we can't see 2000 girls on the resolution we get with google earth...

JeffSFO

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Quoting Baguy (Reply 18):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 15):

????????????????

More info for ya:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=39.118...41&lon=125.808692&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2

LMP737

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 9):
I once saw in a documentary that Kim Jong Il was at one time the largest private buyer of cognac in the world. He must have been a drunk too. So like father like son. We already had one drunk so how bad can the next one be.

I believe his brand of choice is Hennessy.

dragon6172

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 pm

One question... is he as good a golfer as his father?
Phrogs Phorever

NoUFO

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 17):
Didn't Krazy Kim change his title from "Dear Leader" to "Great Leader"?

No.

Kim Il-Sung: "Great Leader"
Kim Jong-Il: "Dear Leader"

Kim Il-Sung was Kim Jong-Il's father. Remember, Kim is their last name.
I support the right to arm bears

LTU932

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 23):
Kim Il-Sung was Kim Jong-Il's father. Remember, Kim is their last name.

I know, but I can't remember where, but I did hear that Krazy Kim did change his title to the same one, his long dead father used to have, and still has post mortem.

NoUFO

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Certainly not. That would be inappropriate, even by Kim Jong-Il's standards.

NoUFO

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Ms Ko reportedly caught Mr Kim's eye as one of 2,000 girls employed in the dictator's "pleasure groups".

Nice job creation scheme.

LTU932

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 25):
Certainly not. That would be inappropriate, even by Kim Jong-Il's standards.

You're probably right, but remember, there is a reason why some of us call the "Dear Leader" just "Krazy Kim".  Wink

NoUFO

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 pm

My favourite editorial cartoonist, Heiko Sakurai, came up with two new cartoons concerning the North Korean leadership succession.

I especially like this one (no direct link, don't wish to hijack a picture):

http://www.sakurai-cartoons.de/images/g_kimssohn.gif

"And this, my son, shall be all yours now."
 biggrin 

redflyer

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 1):
Well at least it puts to rest the thought that N Korea is a communist state, clearly it is a hereditary monarchy.

Wouldn't the word 'Monarchy' imply that power emanates from God? I would think in their Atheist society that would not be possible. But then, now that I think about it, Great Leader is considered a deity, so that would make Dear Leader's power emanating from high above (or below, as the case may be).

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
I have a simple question.
Can't secret services get us rid of this dictatorial family so we are done with them for good?

Madame, I've read your posts (all of them very well written) wherein you rail against war. Do you not realize if another government were to Off these clowns that it would constitute an act of war? Not to hijack the thread, but I seem to recall a certain government taking action to remove a dictator from power in a Middle East country, thinking removal of the dictator would result in a peaceful transition to a Democracy. Instead it spiraled out of control into a multi-factional civil war that is just now starting to draw to a close (maybe). The good citizens of the DPRK have been brainwashed into thinking they are living in Paradise. As far as I'm concerned, let them continue to live in blissful harmony as long as they don't start lobbing any nukes to our good friends south of the 38th Parallel or across the Sea of Japan.

And now, for your entertainment pleasures, a little ode to our Dear Leader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dC2aDHtEqk
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

jcs17

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:11 am

You have to admit, it wouldn't be a bad gig if you weren't completely brainwashed. Enjoy your pleasure teams, wait for your old man to die, kill off the anti-West old guard, slowly help unite the two Koreas, look like a hero, and you end up most likely being worth over a hundred million dollars.

If this guy has his head on straight, which he most likely doesn't, it's a sweet job.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

falstaff

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 21):
I believe his brand of choice is Hennessy.

Now that you mention it, that is correct.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

michlis

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 31):
...slowly help unite the two Koreas...

Or the military could pull the new "leader's" strings and try and unite the two Koreas much faster and on their terms.  whiteflag 
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

L410Turbolet

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 30):
You have to admit, it wouldn't be a bad gig if you weren't completely brainwashed. Enjoy your pleasure teams, wait for your old man to die, kill off the anti-West old guard, slowly help unite the two Koreas, look like a hero, and you end up most likely being worth over a hundred million dollars.

Probably too optimistic, but it would be nice. He certainly would secure himself a Nobel Peace Prize (not that it means anything thanks to cerain prizewinners in the past) and a place in the history books, far more positive one than his lunatic dad will ever have.

Timlin88

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:47 pm

I believe that this youngest son spend some years here in Switzerland, at a private school in Bern. He was there under a false name, and no-one, except maybe some other initiated Korean kids, knew who he was.

As I said, this is something I believe I remember from a magazine article some months back. Maybe some other Swiss member remembers the same? It was in L'Hebdo IIRC.

Matti

NoUFO

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Quoting Timlin88 (Reply 34):
I believe that this youngest son spend some years here in Switzerland, at a private school in Bern.

Geneva more precisely.
Hopefully that time made a lasting impression on him. After all he spent some influential years in a truly enviable mountain village country.

Timlin88

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 35):
Geneva more precisely.

Pretty sure it was Bern.

I checked the L'Hebdo online archives and found that Kim Jong-un spent a number of years in the International School of Berne in Gümlingen, just a few hundred metres from the North Korean embassy. He was signed up as Chol Pak, and was presented as the son of the embassy chauffeur. A passage of the article which I will link to later states that other students were sometimes a little surprised that the same chauffeur bowed deeply to "Chol Pak", his son, whenever he opened the car door for him, but just assumed it was some strange oriental custom. Apparently Swiss authorities had no idea that Chol Pak was actually Kim Jong-un, and were never called up to participate in his protection. Talk about secrecy eh?

Matti

P.S. Here's the article, which is in French, but if anyone needs any clarification I'll be happy to comply  Smile

http://www.hebdo.ch/Exclusif_Coree_Nord_dictateur_Suisse_1461_.html