Timlin88
Topic Author

So Who's Going To Win The French Open?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Who have you got your money on?

Bearing in mind that none of the players left with a shot at the title have ever beaten Roger Federer on clay, I'd say he's got a better chance than ever. But of course, Monfils has the crowd behind him, Söderling has been playing like never before, and both Robredo and Fernandez have been looking very very strong since the beginning. So, another upset is never impossible.

I, being Swiss in my head, am rooting for Fed as always, cause if he wins now, we can calmly label him the best player in history and be done with it. I certainly hope he exploits this opportunity!

Matti

Timlin88
Topic Author

RE: So Who's Going To Win The French Open?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Just realized I didn't make any mention of the ladies singles, mostly because I don't follow it as much. Of course this thread is open to any discussion about RG, men, ladies, singles or doubles  Smile

Matti

yowza

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:01 pm

My predictions are
Men: Soderling
Women: Safin

I hate doubles and know nothing about it so no comment on that.

YOWza

Timlin88
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 pm

So all the semi finals are now known :

Svetlana Kuznetsova v. Sam Stosur

Dinara Safina v. Dominika Cibulkova

for the ladies, to be played tomorrow with the final on Saturday.

Roger Federer v. Juan Martin del Potro

Robin Söderling v. Fernando Gonzalez

for the men, to be played Friday with the final on Sunday.

Looks exciting! My money's definitely on Safina for the ladies, and also definitely on Federer. Del Potro has been looking good this season, but I think Roger steel mind will prevail, and if he plays Söderling in the final he should be fine. Gonzalez will be a harder match for Roger if it comes to that, but again....it's Roger.

Matti

airtrainer

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 pm

I keep my fingers crossed for Federer  trophy   trophy   trophy   yes 
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Timlin88
Topic Author

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:30 pm

So, Kuznetsova wins the ladies title over a less than on-form Safina. Good stuff from Svetlana!

And everybody in the tennis world is now gearing up for the clash tomorrow between Söderling and Federer. In my view, Fed has a huge advantage because he's used to the situation of pressure associated with a Grand Slam final, whereas Robin is completely new to this. And Fed is known for being able to adapt to new game situations very quickly, and come back from almost certain defeat to claim victory (cf his match against Haas).

On the other hand, Söderling has got nothing to lose, and probably a large part of the crowd will give their support to the underdog. I didn't manage to catch the semifinals, but I hear he's playing crazily well too.

In any case, tomorrow's match will hopefully be exciting, and though I really hope Roger wins, Robin definitely deserves to be where he is now.

Matti