Don't remember Kung Fu too well, but he was great in Kill Bill

RIP
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

dtwclipper

RE: TV/Movie Star David Carradine Found Dead

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Thread starter):
Don't remember Kung Fu too well

Well grasshopper is resting in peace I hope.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

HOMER71

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Initial reports indicate suicide...

diamond

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 pm

TMZ is reporting he was found with a rope around his neck. A very unfortunate way to end 72 years.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/04/carradine-may-have-commited-suicide/

" ... Thai police spoke with the BBC, telling them the 72-year-old was found this morning by a hotel maid sitting in a wardrobe with a rope around his neck and body . . . There are reports coming out of Thailand this morning that David Carradine was found, "hanged in his luxury hotel room and is believed to have committed suicide. ... "
Blank.

santosdumont

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Check out the fight scene between Carradine and Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf Mcquade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NrcbbHOqo&feature=related
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

GQfluffy

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 4):
Check out the fight scene between Carradine and Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf Mcquade

If that was realistic at all, Chuck would've killed Carradine 25 years ago.
This isn't where I parked my car...

Superfly

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear about his passing.
He and his son John made some incredible movies.

I like his appearance in the movie 'Satan's Cheerleaders'.
Bring back the Concorde

ronglimeng

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I wonder what the "success rate" on this type of suicide is?

It seems very unlikely to me that a depressed person would be able to assemble available materials in a hotel room and fashion them into a device that he/she could use to kill him/herself.

Anyway, goodbye to Mr. Carradine. I enjoyed his work. Sorry to learn that he has gone this way.

Dreadnought

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm

You expect this sort of thing with young crazies in hollywood with screwy lives. You'd think that at 72, with a long career behind him and still earning respect, he'd have his sh%t together. Guess not.

RIP
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

HOMER71

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Maybe it wasn't a suicide...not to be a pervert, but maybe sexual asphyxiation?

LTU932

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 9):
Maybe it wasn't a suicide...not to be a pervert, but maybe sexual asphyxiation?

That reminds me of an episode of Six Feet Under, where a man is trying to get off using sexual asphyxiation. In the end, the man died and the cause of death was a source of shock and awe (to say the least) for the family.

duke

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I would like to believe that it was sexual asphyxiation and not suicide. In any case, it's a shame. I liked Carradine, in fact he is something of a sometime colleague. In December 1992, I was an extra in the show Kung Fu TLC, in the episode Reunion. One scene was filmed in the Westin Harbour Castle hotel in Toronto, the other just outside Toronto in a soundstage in Mississagua. I (as "erracht") have made comments about the scenes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oFn2gEE-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xu8eymhyiY&feature=related

I remember Carradine as being on the set in the temple scene. He had a skullcap over his long hair to make him look bald for the flashback to the temple. I later enjoyed watching the show.

R.I.P.

midcon385

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, just saw about this. What a shame. Used to watch Kung Fu: The Legend Continues on TV a lot when I was a little younger.

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

corocks

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 9):
but maybe sexual asphyxiation?

Like Michael Hutchence I suppose.

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 7):
It seems very unlikely to me that a depressed person would be able to assemble available materials in a hotel room and fashion them into a device that he/she could use to kill him/herself.

Why is it so hard to find a closet clothing rod and rope from the hotel window blinds?

tootallsd

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:15 pm

So many questions....

It may have been suicide in response to a significant personal issue or he may be facing a disease and decided taking it in his hands was preferable.

It might also have been sexual in nature.

I don't think any of these outcomes are weakness. We had a free person taking charge of their life, maybe their death, or perhaps having a tragic accident. He should be remembered untarnished for his contributions.

NIKV69

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:44 am

Was shocked when I heard and just saw a news clip saying it may be suicide? Sad. I loved Kung Fu!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

D L X

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 14):
It might also have been sexual in nature.

Definitely sexual.

New CNN article says that there was a rope on his penis too.

babybus

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 16):

Obviously well into some kinky stuff. Maybe death by misadventure? Seems like an odd place to put a rope to commit suicide.

Apparently I was reading today he would often talk about killing himself even in his happiest times. He had a morbid facination with it.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

GDB

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 pm

15 years ago, an up and coming British Tory MP, Stephen Milligan, was found hanged.
Wearing stockings.
It was also an auto-asphyxiation masturbation session gone wrong, like Micheal Hutchence too.

So that's three people I've heard of dying in this way.

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 16):

Does anyone feel a bit disturbed at this sort of detail out of the media. You would think that, out of common decency, if you were the reporter and this tidbit of information came across your desk, that you would simply leave it out. The guy's dead, why do we need to embarass the hell out of them post-mortem?

D L X

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 19):
Does anyone feel a bit disturbed at this sort of detail out of the media. You would think that, out of common decency, if you were the reporter and this tidbit of information came across your desk, that you would simply leave it out.

checkmark 
(See? We can agree on some things.)

Here's the problem they had: they reported yesterday that he was dead, by hanging, and that made it look like suicide. Well, suicide is not something most families and friends will allow people to believe if they are certain it wasn't. So, today it comes out that it wasn't suicide, so the media has to say it wasn't suicide. "Well, if it wasn't suicide, how do you explain the rope around his neck?"

And therein lies the problem. Either they say what actually killed him, or they leave the public with that question. Morning Joe's Mika Brzrenski started reading the news on the air, and left out the last sentence. After commercial, Joe Scarborough and Willie Geist hinted that there was something salacious that she had left out. I think anyone who knows what auto-erotic asphyxiation is probably knew instantly what had happened to the man.

slider

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:34 pm

The guy's dead, why do we need to embarass the hell out of them post-mortem?

I would agree, but it is factual. Especially when his agent comes out and says foul play was involved when all evidence would indicate otherwise, then it becomes germane.

Besides, if he didn't want to be embarrassed like that, he shouldn't have done it. What makes people do this kind of thing? Can't get enough kicks in life otherwise? This auto sexual asphyxiation thing is bizarre and sick.

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 21):
Besides, if he didn't want to be embarrassed like that, he shouldn't have done it.

And it's unlikely that he died instantly. Anyone doing this sort of stuff, when they suddenly find themselves in trouble and choking, this gawdawful realization must spring to mind that "Oh crap, they are going to find me like this!". It would be funny if not so tragic.

Scratch that. It's funny as hell  devil 

slider

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 22):
And it's unlikely that he died instantly. Anyone doing this sort of stuff, when they suddenly find themselves in trouble and choking, this gawdawful realization must spring to mind that "Oh crap, they are going to find me like this!". It would be funny if not so tragic.

Scratch that. It's funny as hell

LMAO!!

scbriml

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Does anyone feel a bit disturbed at this sort of detail out of the media.

The expression "gentlemen of the press" is an oxymoron. It's their job to sell newspapers - of course they're going to reveal the details.

Don't want your family, friends and the rest of the World to know about your little "hobby"? Then he should have stuck to doing it at home with someone there to help in the event that things don't go to plan.

The guy's dead, why do we need to embarass the hell out of them post-mortem?

If you live life in the public eye, then that's where your death will be catalogued in all its gory detail. The thing is, the press is a competitive industry - even if CNN didn't reveal it, then Fox (or whoever) would and steal a march on CNN. Something like this would be next to impossible to sweep under the carpet (especially if he was found by hotel staff - there's money to be made for them there).

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 22):
Scratch that. It's funny as hell

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.  wink 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

D L X

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 24):
The thing is, the press is a competitive industry - even if CNN didn't reveal it, then Fox (or whoever) would and steal a march on CNN.

The problem is, this news borders on R-rated material, not suitable for every audience. MSNBC for instance didn't report the sexual side. At least, not exactly. Joe Scarborough just said there was more to the story they weren't sharing.

Arrow

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 25):
The problem is, this news borders on R-rated material, not suitable for every audience.

You can't blame the press for this. The original "official" report said suicide, and because he's a celebrity, it's news. When it is subsequently learned it's not suicide, the press has an obligation to set the record straight, and leaving out the seamy details will simply lead to more questions and, eventually, the right answers. You can't cover this kind of stuff up, and you shouldn't. The truth will out.

I'm sorry he's gone -- enjoyed his work.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

PHLBOS

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 18):
So that's three people I've heard of dying in this way.

A similar incident happened to a school teacher (John Sentinfelter (sp?)) in a Philly-area (Main Line) suburb about a decade ago. In that particular case, he wasn't alone when it happened; and the investigation originally thought that it was a murder. Instead, it wound up being a sex act gone terribly wrong.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

scrubbsywg

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:14 pm

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0605092carradine1.html

smoking gun has some papers from his divorce...

babybus

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 24):
If you live life in the public eye, then that's where your death will be catalogued in all its gory detail. The thing is, the press is a competitive industry - even if CNN didn't reveal it,

True. There are probably thousands of guys out there doing the same thing. There is no shame in him doing kinky sex if that's what turns him on, and I think newspapers should tell the whole truth, as witnessed, in all events.

The Spanish press would probably publish a picture of it.  Wow!
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.