skyhigh777

I Quit My Job...What Should I Do?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Hey guys,

So, as much as I want to refrain from ranting, I'm going to share some of my thoughts on what led me to quit my job.

I graduated last year from the University of Maryland as an Economics and Psychology major, and subsequently took a few months off to travel Europe. When I returned I got lucky and landed a contract job at the International Monetary Fund in Washington, DC as a "Project Coordinator". Now, at first I liked the job because of the decent pay and the fact that I was being treated very well and given a good amount of responsibilites from the start. As the months went by, I felt myself more and more falling into a routine: wake up at 5:45 am, commute from northern Suburbs to DC for 40 min, get to the gym by 6:45 am, at my desk by 8 am. After almost 5 months, I've reached a breaking point. I just can't do it anymore. I see all these people walking the streets of the city looking like robotic drones, and it gets worse when I actually enter the building. Everyone seems to be on autopilot. If not, they are angry or frustrated by how "busy" they are, and everyone tries to one-up one another thinking that one person is even busier than the other. I keep thinking to myself that I'm 24 years old...and if I reach the age of 50 and have the life of the people that surround me in this office everyday, I would rather not reach 50. I feel like I'm destined to do more than this in my life. At this point, it feels like I'm in a river swimming against the current, when other people are trying to take me down stream with them.

My contract was supposed to end in September as this big project we are working on comes to a close, but I was offered the opportunity to stay as an extended contract. I declined. A lot of people told me I was crazy to turn down the opportunity, but there are two main reasons why I did:

1. I want to leave the DC area. I love it here, but I've grown up here and been here my entire life. I think it's time to leave. I've been seriously considering moving to Los Angeles or NYC, but I don't want to get stuck doing another 9-5 over there. If I do, I want it to be for something I enjoy doing, or maybe just temporarily so I can get myself out there.

2. I hate this structured office environment. It's not for me, and I feel like I can't thrive in this type of setting. I'm constantly unhappy, constantly exhausted, and constantly wishing I was somewhere else. I find myself wishing away the time in my life; when it's Monday I can't wait for Friday. My life is too important to wish my time away like that.

Now, I don't know what I'm going to do. I have some money in savings, but I don't know where to go from here. People always say "Do what makes you happy and find a way to make money off of it". That's great, except I have no idea what makes me happy. Obviously, I have a passion for aviation. I love the airline industry, but I don't want to be under the bureaucratic lifestyle of the airline industry as a pilot or flight attendant or office executive for the rest of my life. I think my dream job would be something like a travel editor, where I can travel the world and write reviews or blog about the airline/travel industry in general. I'm good at writing, and I know a great deal about the airline industry from reading A.NET all these years and from having a genuine interest in it. I also considered a job as an aviation consultant, but I don't seem to have any of the credentials for it and I've emailed several aviation consulting companies to no avail.

So, what can I do? I feel very lost, and like my time is running out to find a job that's not really a job. I don't want to wake up every morning dreading work. I have no problem working hard if it's something I'm passionate about or that I enjoy. I just wish I knew how to get to that point where my passion is my job and vice versa.

Thanks for reading up to here, and sorry for the rant but I feel like I just need to write all this out to get a better grasp on the situation. Any suggestions and comments are totally welcome!!

-Andres
Prepare for take-off.

desertjets

RE: I Quit My Job...What Should I Do?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:55 pm

I understand where you are coming from and I give you credit for deciding to leave your job and find something different in this economy (even though it was a 1-yr contract deal). The 9-5 routine isn't exactly easy to get into coming out of the relative freedom you have in college. I don't think anyone actually likes it and it takes a long time to get used to. Though depending on where you work and who you work with it can be tolerable.

Whatever you decide to do to earn a living you need to work on finding that elusive work/life balance. Don't let yourself be defined by your job. Have a social life outside of work, have other things you do or else you get stuck in that rut and feel like you are on autopilot all day every day. Ultimately it is nice to find a job or a career that you enjoy, that challenges you, that you want to go to each day. But otherwise you need to work on finding and doing those other things that really appeal to you and keep you sane outside of work.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Bongodog1964

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm

I admire you for getting up and walking after only one year; it took me 9 years and two jobs, before I quit the office routine.

You have everything on your side, age, qualifications, and spirit. Plus I assume that you have no dependents, and no financial commitments.
It seems to me from what you have written, that the office environment is not for you, as lets face it, many are just as you describe, so do you have any interests which you could develop into a career?

STT757

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Thread starter):

1. I want to leave the DC area. I love it here, but I've grown up here and been here my entire life. I think it's time to leave. I've been seriously considering moving to Los Angeles or NYC,

I'm born in NYC and raised in the New Jersey suburbs, I did live for a year in Fairfax County Virginia 1985-1986 and loved it. If your looking for a change from where your at I wouldn't go t the NYC area, if you don't like DC your going to hate New York. Seems like your looking for a less of a routine and more of an adventure, New York is worse with the robot commuters than any other place on earth. Trust me I've done it plenty of times, driving myself in my car, taking NJ Transit trains, the PATH, Ferries. It's sucks.

I would look towards warmer climes where the pace of life is a little more laid back, Florida, Northern California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Washington State, Oregon, Colorado etc..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

GQfluffy

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:14 pm

No offense, but as one who has been basically (a few contract jobs here and there) unemployed since last September, you're stupid. You had a somewhat stable job. I graduated in December 2007, and luckily fell right into a job in my field (drafting/design/autocad) the day before I graduated. Yeah, at first, especially because it was January, I hated getting up in the dark, getting ready and getting to work in the dark, getting off at 4 PM, and getting home with maybe 30 minutes left of daylight. Summer came, and while I had much more time to do things after work, it was still a 7-4 8 hr job. Guess what? That's your future, that's your life. What you do outside of work is up to you. Take some responsibility and make the most of it. Work to live, don't live to work. The East Coast (more New England) life seems to be "live to work", and no, I wouldn't like that lifestyle either. Good for you that you want to get out of it, but for now with an absolute crap job market, you have to deal with what you're given. I would've kept the job, but really spent my freetime exploring my options in other places where I'd want to live. Now? You better find something in that area you want to move to soon. The job market isn't going to get any better, regardless of what the government says.
This isn't where I parked my car...

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 1):
Have a social life outside of work, have other things you do or else you get stuck in that rut and feel like you are on autopilot all day every day. Ultimately it is nice to find a job or a career that you enjoy, that challenges you, that you want to go to each day.

I like to think that my weekends are really my time and my "mini vacations". I try to go away whenever I get the chance, and I really enjoy the time I spend with my friends going out and socializing. But it seems like I'm just so unhappy for 5 days out of the week, that none of this seems worth it anymore. I want to live for everyday, not just for my weekends.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 2):
It seems to me from what you have written, that the office environment is not for you, as lets face it, many are just as you describe, so do you have any interests which you could develop into a career?

Well I was thinking of going back to school to get a doctorate in Psychology, but it takes a great deal of financial sacrifices as the programs are about 5 years long and it will be at least another 7 years before I made any money. That would be fine, but I'm just not sure that's 100% what I want to do with the rest of my life. I like to write, and I love to travel and see new places and experience everything the world has to offer.

I think I'm just stuck in this stage where I don't know what direction to go, but if I knew what to do I would put 110% of my efforts into it.
Prepare for take-off.

A332

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 pm

It's such a hard situation to be in... hating the usual 9-5 routine, being stuck in an office, being part of the rat race... unfortunately, you can't avoid all of the negatives entirely, for the most part anyway.

I'm real big into new home construction, design, architecture, zoning & development laws, and other things related to home construction. I have decided to return to school in the fall and get myself certified to be a new home inspector and start up my own business. This is going to combine a bunch of my skills and interests and make a worthwhile & potentially successful venture. I also plan on getting myself certified as an appraiser, so that I can further expand my possibilities.

It's exciting, the prospect of actually knowing what I want to do and moving in that direction! I'm just shy of 30 years old... it took that long!

Good luck to you. I am sure you will find your way!  Smile
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

WESTERN737800

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 pm

You're not alone. I used to feel passionate about my job. Now I'm just going through the motions when I go to work. People tell me I should go back to school, but the problem is I just don't know what kind of job would make me happy. I work just about every weekend, sometimes I would give anything for a 9-5 job. I was feeling the rut, but over the last couple years started hanging out with a different group of friends which has helped a lot. I feel I can do my job with my eyes closed for the most part. Sometimes I just feel there's just something more I could be doing but I just don't know what it is. All I can say is I appreciate my off days like never before. I do have a great crew of people to work with so it could be worse. Hopefully someday I'll think of something.
Bring back Western Airlines!

IMissPiedmont

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 4):
No offense, but as one who has been basically (a few contract jobs here and there) unemployed since last September, you're stupid

Pretty hard not to take offense at that statement I'd say.

Anyway, welcome to the real world. You have to decide if you want to be a drone for money or do something you enjoy, better if they match but rarely is that the case.

PS: At your age you would be very odd indeed if you haven't quit a job or 3 on a whim.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

GQfluffy

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 8):

No offense, but as one who has been basically (a few contract jobs here and there) unemployed since last September, you're stupid

Pretty hard not to take offense at that statement I'd say.

It was a steady job in unsteady times. To just walk away because he's unhappy with life isn't the smartest thing to do. Yeah, I applaud his approach to work for bettering himself mentally, but realistically, he did a dumb thing.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Guess what? That's your future, that's your life. What you do outside of work is up to you.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't want it to be my life. So many people have this mentality of "I'll just take what comes to me and accept it as my fate". I refuse. I don't want to be 50 years old one day and say "I could have dome something spectacular with my life, but instead I didn't because I was afraid of the job market and afraid of failing and afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone".

At this point, I'd rather be afraid of all that than spend anymore time longing to be somewher else doing something else. I don't know how I'm going to do this, but I'll find a way.
Prepare for take-off.

GQfluffy

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:26 pm

So, what is it that you do here? Big grin

What do you want to do with your degree? It isn't exactly a "I work in the outdoors 24/7" type degree.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:30 pm

That's the thing...I don't know what I want to do with my degree. So many of my friends, and even older people I know, do work that has nothing to do with their degree. I initially thought of going to school and opening my own practice as a psychologist, but I have my doubts about it. While I like it, I'm not sure I would describe psychology as one of my "passions". I'm nervous about dedicating so much of my time and money towards it, and then realizing 10 years down the road that I don't enjoy it anymore. But, I do like the idea of working for myself and being independant in that sense, as well as helping people. At this point, the convergence of all my thoughts is what is most frustrating...
Prepare for take-off.

JAL

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:33 pm

I understand why you quit your job, but you have something else line-up?
Work Hard But Play Harder

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Quoting JAL (Reply 13):
I understand why you quit your job, but you have something else line-up?

No...but I guess that's what is scary/exciting at this point. I still have until September to figure something out...
Prepare for take-off.

Type-Rated

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Remember, it's always easier to find a job when you currently have a job.

Even travel can get boring. I knew a guy who quit a nice cushy computer programming job because he liked to travel. He then hired on to a computer education company to travel all over teaching basic computing skills. Very easy stuff to do.
After a year I asked him how he liked his job. He hated it! Why? He said that he would give anything to be able to sleep a week in his own bed. He said airports are his home more than anything else. Airport concessions are his main source of food. He did say he learned his lesson and was looking for a stay in the office job.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 1):
The 9-5 routine isn't exactly easy to get into coming out of the relative freedom you have in college. I don't think anyone actually likes it and it takes a long time to get used to.

I absolutely love the 9-5 routine. Especially compared to college.

No offense, but as one who has been basically (a few contract jobs here and there) unemployed since last September, you're stupid. You had a somewhat stable job.

While I'll stop short of calling you stupid, I do agree with the sentiment.

Consider: my former boss quit his job after the company refused to give him a raise, and basically didn't treat him particularly well. He's a nuclear and mechanical engineer/designer who's had some pretty good experience working for this company. It's been around 2 months since he quit, and he still hasn't found a job. Hasn't even had an interview.

Point being: it's an incredibly crappy time to quit your job. Hell, I hate my job, but I'm not quitting until I've found another one.

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 10):
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't want it to be my life. So many people have this mentality of "I'll just take what comes to me and accept it as my fate".

There's a key difference between being indifferent, and being smart about your future. Sometimes the smart thing to do is keep a job you hate, while looking for another one.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

sw733

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I can relate to you on a few topics:

wake up at 5:45 am, commute from northern Suburbs to DC for 40 min, get to the gym by 6:45 am, at my desk by 8 am

I hear ya...wake up at 5am, work out from 5:10 to 5:40, shower/breakfast from 5:40 to 6:20, hit the road and get to work by 7:00, work 7:00 to 4:00, get home by 4:45, and then start homework for my masters degree...eek

and everyone tries to one-up one another thinking that one person is even busier than the other

Very true, this frustrates the hell out of me

I'm 24 years old...and if I reach the age of 50 and have the life of the people that surround me in this office everyday, I would rather not reach 50

I'm 25 and I have that feel too sometimes.

That being said, I love my job...I love airplanes, and I love being an aero engineer. There is certainly some of the typical office crap, but not seemingly as much as you have had to deal with. There are times I have thought about running out, finding a new place to live/work, finally go back to Namibia like I keep saying I will "in a year or two", but the I just realize that I love what I do. The key for you is to do the same...find that job you love to do 90% of the time...nobody is going to love their job 100% of the time (those who say they do are liars), but 90% of the time is great. It may take some time, but you can do it.

Flighty

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Just remember that, if you don't need the money or the experience, you're absolutely right. You don't need a job. You should go have fun and party.

If you do need the money, or the experience, a job will offer you that.

Flighty

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 17):
find that job you love to do 90% of the time..

I agree, but not everybody has that privilege... nor is it a right. Younger generation people feel like they (we) deserve a really fun job that makes us feel awesome every day. Some people are that lucky. But that also is confusing "entertainment" with "job". Certainly some people love their jobs. Others simply need food, rent and a health plan and are willing to serve someone ELSE's goals (do a job) to get those rewards.

It all comes down to the individual. And life is definitely what you make it.

iairallie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 9):
It was a steady job in unsteady times. To just walk away because he's unhappy with life isn't the smartest thing to do. Yeah, I applaud his approach to work for bettering himself mentally, but realistically, he did a dumb thing.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):

Point being: it's an incredibly crappy time to quit your job. Hell, I hate my job, but I'm not quitting until I've found another one.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):
Sometimes the smart thing to do is keep a job you hate, while looking for another one.

Agree with all the above very silly to quit a job before finding a new one. The only way I'd do that is if I was in an abusive or dangerous work environment.

You ask what should I do...Well, I think you need to print all your posts on this thread out so that you can re-read them in 20-30 years and wince/laugh about how precious you sound. You are sure showcasing the "me" attitude stero-type your generation is known for.

Being a grown up means sometimes we tolerate things we don't love for a time to pay our dues and advance to the point where we have EARNED the right to advance to something more our taste.

This will probably get deleted but someone needs to be honest with you. With that attitude your parents probably never gave you the dose of reality you need because they were too busy artificially boosting your self esteem.

That said I would find a job any job that will pay your bills but allow you the flexibility in time off to do some self discovery. Maybe do one of those find yourself jobs like teaching english in a foreign country or do something service oriented like join the peace corps that will teach you a little humility.

To be fair I did do something similar with an internship in college and I do cringe now at how stupid and naive I was.

[Edited 2009-06-09 12:07:44]
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

sw733

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 20):

Being a grown up means sometimes we tolerate things we don't love for a time to pay our dues and advance to the point where we have EARNED the right to advance to something more our taste.

I can definitely agree with what you say here. I got lucky and do a job I love, but there is another job above it I would love even more, and I am putting my time in to get to that position. I don't expect it to come for at least another 8-10 years, but if I keep waking up each day still thinking I want it, I will work my butt off and earn my way to it.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 17):
That being said, I love my job...I love airplanes, and I love being an aero engineer. There is certainly some of the typical office crap, but not seemingly as much as you have had to deal with. There are times I have thought about running out, finding a new place to live/work, finally go back to Namibia like I keep saying I will "in a year or two", but the I just realize that I love what I do. The key for you is to do the same...find that job you love to do 90% of the time...nobody is going to love their job 100% of the time (those who say they do are liars), but 90% of the time is great. It may take some time, but you can do it.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm not necessarily saying it's the 9-5 that's killing me; I think it's that I'm doing the 9-5 for something I just can't stand.

If I was working 9-5 doing a job I really love, I would have no problem with the routine.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 20):
You ask what should I do...Well, I think you need to print all your posts on this thread out so that you can re-read them in 20-30 years and wince/laugh about how precious you sound. You are sure showcasing the "me" attitude stero-type your generation is known for.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not expecting for things to come easy, or to magically find something that is stress free and pays for my rent at the same time. All I'm looking for is a way to enjoy what I'm doing without constantly feeling dissatisfied with my daily life. Maybe you're right that my parents "pampered me" or boosted my "self-esteem" or however you would like to word it, but that shouldn't mean I should settle for being unhappy.

Either way, I appreciate the comments, whether negative or positive. You may think I'm stupid for quitting at "a time like this", but I have a paid job until mid september, so I have some time and lots of savings to figure it out. I do feel priviledged, and I'll take advantage of that.

Maybe I can look back in 20-30 years and read this and say "Wow, I'm glad I did what everyone told me not to do." Sometimes, it's harder to say no to things than to say yes, and take the risk that few others are ever willing to take. I think that's what creates people who are "extraordinary".
Prepare for take-off.

iairallie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 22):
that shouldn't mean I should settle for being unhappy.

Happiness is an internal choice. It is not something comes from external sources like a job. Sooner you realize that the happier your will be. So you don't like the job you've only a year at the moment though you did in the beginning. Things are cyclical in jobs sometimes you are fulfilled sometimes you aren't. The key is to develop yourself outside of work as well. You have free time do something with it.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I don't think so. I think you just aren't very self aware. I wish you could read what you have written with an unbiased eye. You would just die of embarrassment at how you come across.

Sometimes, it's harder to say no to things than to say yes, and take the risk that few others are ever willing to take. I think that's what creates people who are "extraordinary".

...more confirmation that I didn't misunderstand you.

Maybe I can look back in 20-30 years and read this and say "Wow, I'm glad I did what everyone told me not to do."

I'm not saying don't pursue something you enjoy. Just do it in a mature way. Quitting a job with NO plan isn't a very grown up thing to do. Keep the job sort things out, develop a plan for where you would like to go THEN go for it with gusto.

All I'm looking for is a way to enjoy what I'm doing without constantly feeling dissatisfied with my daily life.

Cue the violins. Develop yourself outside of work it is only a part of your daily life.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 pm

I hope you got another job before quitting this one, given the state of the economy it is very hard to get another one now. (This is what turns me off the most about people....)

Good luck to you. No sympathies from me if you still cannot find a new job a year from now.

No offense, but as one who has been basically (a few contract jobs here and there) unemployed since last September, you're stupid.

checkmark  I agree. This comes with maturity: Getting a new job before quitting the current one.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 23):
I don't think so. I think you just aren't very self aware. I wish you could read what you have written with an unbiased eye. You would just die of embarrassment at how you come across.

Not embarassed at all. I'm just searching options. Like I said, I have time to figure it out. If I want, I can use the money I've saved to go back to school, or to survive for a year without a job until I find something I like.

Happiness is an internal choice. It is not something comes from external sources like a job. Sooner you realize that the happier your will be. So you don't like the job you've only a year at the moment though you did in the beginning. Things are cyclical in jobs sometimes you are fulfilled sometimes you aren't. The key is to develop yourself outside of work as well. You have free time do something with it.

I'm not unhappy with my life or myself by any means. On the contrary, I love my social life, my friends, and I'm at a place where I enjoy my own company and feel that others do as well. I'm just UNSATISFIED with my work right now. I feel it's very easy to get sucked in to the work enviroment that I'm at, as well as the one that many others are at. They offer you a raise, they offer you another position, and before you know it you wake up and realize 20 years down the road that you never pursued something that you could have enjoyed more. You just settled for what came along because it was comfortable and "not silly" in a job market like this.

I'm not saying don't pursue something you enjoy. Just do it in a mature way. Quitting a job with NO plan isn't a very grown up thing to do. Keep the job sort things out, develop a plan for where you would like to go THEN go for it with gusto.

Like I said, I have savings. I worked and I planned in advance, I didn't quit on a whim. I'm not satisfied with my current work, so I decided to change it. The original idea of me posting this was to express my thoughts and toss around ideas with people. While you may feel like criticizing my decision, that's fine. I'm glad we can find differing opinions, but I don't think you know me well enough to say that I'm not "self-aware".
Prepare for take-off.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 pm

To add on to this, I know that if I put all my energy in finding a job in CA or someplace that I want to be in, I know I can do it.
I'll fly out for interviews, etc, move out there and find something using my savings I think the biggest problem is the fear that people have...the "I can't believe you left a job without having another one lined up...how will you surivive"
well...I'll survive because I have to.
I have no other choice.
I won't die from it, but it's the ideas rather than the realities that scare people the most out of pursuing things or leaving a comfortable environment. My only responsibility right now is me. I could agree more with what people are saying if I had to put my family or spouse through hardships for this, but this is my surivival at stake.

At this point, I think the job I currently have is creating negative energy in my life that makes it more difficult, or rather creates a hazier path, in my ability to find what I truly enjoy. The only roadblock in all of this is my fears, and trust me I have them, but I'm willing to face them head on.
Prepare for take-off.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 26):
I think the biggest problem is the fear that people have...the "I can't believe you left a job without having another one lined up...how will you surivive"

But in the end, those people are right.

I have no other choice.

redflag  Not true. You do have a choice. You chose to quit which prevents a paycheck from coming in.

but this is my surivival at stake.

Before it wasn't but now without a paycheck coming in, now it really is. Now you're going to find even more stressful hardships than you ever imagined. Finding a new job is not even going to be easy anymore, given the state of how the economy is now.

Sorry to say in advance, but you are a fool. You're 21-25 per your profile. That pretty much says a lot. You lack the maturity that the majority of us have but you should not use that as an excuse. Learn from this mistake and don't repeat it again if you do find another job.

If you cannot find a job within the next year then this is your own damn fault, bro.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):
Before it wasn't but now without a paycheck coming in, now it really is. Now you're going to find even more stressful hardships than you ever imagined. Finding a new job is not even going to be easy anymore, given the state of how the economy is now.

Sorry to say in advance, but you are a fool. You're 21-25 per your profile. That pretty much says a lot. You lack the maturity that the majority of us have but you should not use that as an excuse. Learn from this mistake and don't repeat it again if you do find another job.

If you cannot find a job within the next year then this is your own damn fault, bro.

I'm fully prepared to accept responsibilty if I can't get a job.

How about start up companies? Most people trying to start companies fail. Does that mean people should stop trying? What about when they are successful? How can you be successful without taking risks. I wonder how many people took loans against their houses and properties and got into debt trying to pursue something they felt passionate about? The key to life is failure. I'm bound to fail at some point, and if this is it, then I'm glad it's while I'm young. I'd rather fail at trying to find something I love then succeed at going through the motions doing something I don't enjoy everyday.
Prepare for take-off.

A346Dude

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):

I think you mistake maturity with the path of least resistance.

To SkyHigh, I say, never settle.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 29):

No not mistaken at all, that is how life works.

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 28):
How about start up companies? Most people trying to start companies fail. Does that mean people should stop trying? What about when they are successful?

You could have done this while still holding a steady job with your then-current company. I have a best friend who is doing this now, and he has an economics degree. This guy isn't stupid, and guess what...he is YOUR age. He knows quitting the job he has now and focusing on his start-up company is not the wise way to go. He figured this out all on his own.

The whole point I am trying to make to you is that now you have NOTHING to fall back on by quitting your current job.

You talk of failures....I'll give you that one. But still, my point remains.....

Good luck to you.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks.

I think a lot of people work in jobs they hate, feeling trapped because they can't quit as they rely on that sole source of income to finance a lifestyle tailred to escape their own reality, drifting aimlessly in life and, like the great Henry David Thoreau eloquently put it, "leading lives of quiet desperation".

To those commenting on my age and "maturity":

You might think that's immature, but maybe I just see it differently than you.
Prepare for take-off.

EasternSon

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh, you hate your job?

You know, there's a support group for that.

It's called the bar.

We meet everyday between 5:30 and 7:00pm.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Flighty

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:28 pm

If I was working 9-5 doing a job I really love, I would have no problem with the routine.

That's a hypothetical, since you really haven't demonstrated your willingness to work... at least, it's better to show that as part of your record. But, fortunately for you, you don't need to admit "quitting" your last appointment. I'd just tell em your project ended and you liked working there.

Your record will look really good (assuming you're looking for a job). But your attitude will look bad, if you tell them what you told us here. The most likely explanation that pops up is that you're not accustomed to working yet.

Cue the violins. Develop yourself outside of work it is only a part of your daily life.

Yes.

Maybe I can look back in 20-30 years and read this and say "Wow, I'm glad I did what everyone told me not to do." Sometimes, it's harder to say no to things than to say yes, and take the risk that few others are ever willing to take. I think that's what creates people who are "extraordinary".

Absolutely, you are right. The ability to take risks is a useful thing. The desire to take risks is also good.

stasisLAX

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Maturity will bring greater intelligence - never ever walk away from a job without having another job lined up, unless you're a "trust fund baby".
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:35 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 33):
That's a hypothetical, since you really haven't demonstrated your willingness to work... at least, it's better to show that as part of your record. But, fortunately for you, you don't need to admit "quitting" your last appointment. I'd just tell em your project ended and you liked working there.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I'm just using this forum as an outlet.
Prepare for take-off.

iairallie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 25):
Not embarassed at all.

That much is obvious. Though you should be and I think with time (decades perhaps) you will look back whether you made it or not and think geesh what an arrogant, precious, self important attitude I had back then.

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 25):
before you know it you wake up and realize 20 years down the road that you never pursued something that you could have enjoyed more.

I don't understand why you think quitting your job with no idea even of what you are interested is the only way. Why on earth can't you stay in your job while you decide what areas you are at least interested in and what you would rather do?

I have no other choice.

You do have a choice, in fact you have at least 4... 1. stay in your job and do nothing to sort out what you'd rather do and be miserable. 2. stay in your job do nothing to sort it out and learn to be happy 3. stay in your job while you search out other avenues which appeal to you more and quit when you have a plan (or at least a goal to shoot for) 4. quit your job while you search out other avenues which appeal to you more.

my vote is for #3

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 28):
How about start up companies? Most people trying to start companies fail. Does that mean people should stop trying? What about when they are successful? How can you be successful without taking risks. I wonder how many people took loans against their houses and properties and got into debt trying to pursue something they felt passionate about?

Huge difference between you and these guys. These guys had a plan. They knew what it was they wanted to do and what it was they were passionate about before they leapt. You by your own admission do not. Thats what makes they courageous and you foolhardy.

I agree. I disagree with his approach to not settling. I still think it is stupid to quit a job when you have no clue what you want to replace it with.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 pm

I don't think he does confuse the two. I think he's absolutely right.

The "path of least resistance" is to say "I hate this job, I'm going to quit." Then, there you are. You have no job. That's pretty much it.

Maturity comes in when you say "OK, I hate this job. What can I do to make it better? I can't? Well, now how do I go about looking for another one?" Then you keep your current job while finding another...then say sayonara to the job you hate.

Sure, you shouldn't "settle" if you can help it--but you should think with a little more foresight. It'll help you in the long run.  Smile

And the wisdom in that thought process only becomes more apparent with age. Sure, you don't want to have any regrets when you're older, but you'll find there's more than one way to make yourself happy.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:40 pm

To add on to this, I know that if I put all my energy in finding a job in CA or someplace that I want to be in, I know I can do it.
I'll fly out for interviews, etc, move out there and find something using my savings I think the biggest problem is the fear that people have...the "I can't believe you left a job without having another one lined up...how will you surivive"

Be aware, I'm currently looking for a job in the Los Angeles area, and it's slim pickings (like everywhere else).

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 31):
You might think that's immature, but maybe I just see it differently than you.

I wouldn't say immature. More like possibly not well-planned (lack of planning doesn't always depend on maturity).

Then again, if you have the resources to hold out for a year or two (which you might have to do), then forget I said anything.

It's just a horrible time to quit your job.

checkmark 

I learned all that the hard way over the last few years. I hate my job, but I manage to lead a pretty happy life anyway.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

JBirdAV8r

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm

I'll also mention this:

When I hire someone, I find out when they left their last job and why. If I heard your scenario, I'd probably label you impulsive and a "risk"--not exactly ideal qualities to possess as my employee.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

RussianJet

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 pm

I know the transition from student to fulltime wage slave is difficult, but I have a bad feeling you're going to regret this decision for the rest of your life. You were, as you say yourself, lucky to land such a great position straight off. In the fullness of time you will be kicking yourself.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Ken777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Why not take some time off and do something unusual?

You have a degree - why not take a commission in the Navy and see the world a bit. At the same time you will be able to qualify for more schooling if you want later. I looked at all options before going into the military and decided on the Navy simply because you were able to go places. And it is certainly not 9 to 5, or 8 to 4.

Or look at a whole different field. You get out of the office if you become a fireman, cop or long haul truck driver. Pays not as good, but who cares.

Of become a politician.

Or a teacher.

Lots of jobs out there that are not desk bound - even though a lot of them leave you wanting a desk job over time. Personally I believe the Navy is the best option as it can fund the training for other vocations you might decide you prefer.

Like Law.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 36):
You do have a choice, in fact you have at least 4... 1. stay in your job and do nothing to sort out what you'd rather do and be miserable. 2. stay in your job do nothing to sort it out and learn to be happy 3. stay in your job while you search out other avenues which appeal to you more and quit when you have a plan (or at least a goal to shoot for) 4. quit your job while you search out other avenues which appeal to you more.

my vote is for #3

checkmark  This is the best piece I have seen on this thread thus far. Allie is right.

GQfluffy

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 34):

Maturity will bring greater intelligence - never ever walk away from a job without having another job lined up, unless you're a "trust fund baby".

Exactly. I moved from Billings, MT to Cincinnati, OH with the better half (she got a well-paying job...thank god...with the VA) last September. I quit my job (loved every minute of it...hence why I'm in the field I'm in...which leads me to think the OP got the degree he did because he didn't know what else to do...he's hinted at it), and moved out here with no job because I figured I'd easily be able to find work. Yeah...not so much. I can't even get on at the local grocery store a block away. Sucks, but we're surviving, even finding some cash to fly home this summer, and for Christmas. So...eventually...I'll find something...even in my field. I know I will...but it will take some time. More than I planned...but I made my bed; I have to deal with the consequences...

A346Dude

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 37):
The "path of least resistance" is to say "I hate this job, I'm going to quit." Then, there you are. You have no job. That's pretty much it.

The path of least resistance is to say, I hate my job, but I can tolerate it by shutting off my brain for 8 hours a day and dreaming about the weekend all week long. This is what most people do.

It is much more difficult to say, I refuse to accept the dissatisfaction caused by this job, and I am willing to take risks and make sacrifices if the ultimate goal is becoming happier. This is the attitude held by the most successful people in the world.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

iairallie

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 44):
I refuse to accept the dissatisfaction caused by this job, and I am willing to take risks and make sacrifices if the ultimate goal is becoming happier. This is the attitude held by the most successful people in the world.

They don't do that though without any idea what they'd rather do. Successful people set lofty goals and then work to achieve them even if there is risk involved but the key is they have a goal before they set out on the journey.

sv7887

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:58 pm

I have to agree. This is a really bad time for a job search. I've been out since November. And believe me I hated my job, but would I kill to have it back right now. In these crazy times, a job is what matters.

I admire the OP's drive and ambition, but one has to be realistic. He is taking an enormous gamble, and by resigning you can't even get unemployment. It's too late to cry over spilled milk, but next time make sure you have another job to jump to if you plan on resigning.

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 10):
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't want it to be my life. So many people have this mentality of "I'll just take what comes to me and accept it as my fate". I refuse. I don't want to be 50 years old one day and say "I could have dome something spectacular with my life, but instead I didn't because I was afraid of the job market and afraid of failing and afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone".

That's the thing...I don't know what I want to do with my degree. So many of my friends, and even older people I know, do work that has nothing to do with their degree. I initially thought of going to school and opening my own practice as a psychologist, but I have my doubts about it. While I like it, I'm not sure I would describe psychology as one of my "passions". I'm nervous about dedicating so much of my time and money towards it, and then realizing 10 years down the road that I don't enjoy it anymore.

Let me give you some advice, as someone of a similar age and background. I studied Econ at Brandeis and went to London to get a Masters in Finance and Econ from the LSE.

I am not "passionate" about either subjects, I just have an aptitude for them. I didn't love my job, but it enabled me to earn a good amount of money in a very short time and get all sorts of varied experiences that will benefit me long term.

Very few people actually use their coursework in their job. I have used maybe 10% of my education in the Management Consulting business. Don't believe for a second your choice of degree will pigeon hole you into a specific line of business.

In the Investment Banking world, they take people with all sorts of degrees (History, Psych, English, Econ, etc) and spit out Analysts two years later. Same things apply to the Venture Capital world and Management Consulting sectors.

Since you are in DC, you might want to check into other government jobs. The stimulus has created a ton of jobs in the area, so have a look at Usajobs.com.

If you are well connected, perhaps you should consider networking to get a management consulting job. A Econ degree is usually the pre-requisite. No consulting assignment is the same, and you'll get to travel.

Think of your career as a financial portfolio. Never put your chips on one thing only. You're liable to get burned. Make sure you get good valuable experience, and you'll find that the doors will open.

As much as I hated (and I mean HATED) my last job, I stuck with it until the layoff came. I got exposure to top execs at VW and Honda and some cool projects. Yes, the hours sucked, and I hated flying BOS-LAX every other week but it was great resume material. Along with my education, it's the only reason I've been able to get interviews.

You're young and I admire your spirit. Just be careful with how you plan things.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 45):

I refuse to accept the dissatisfaction caused by this job, and I am willing to take risks and make sacrifices if the ultimate goal is becoming happier. This is the attitude held by the most successful people in the world.

They don't do that though without any idea what they'd rather do. Successful people set lofty goals and then work to achieve them even if there is risk involved but the key is they have a goal before they set out on the journey.

Exactly. Figure out what you want to do. Talk to those who work in industries that interest you. There is no point jumping blindly from job to job if you're uncertain what you're going to do.

I'll give you my example: Right or wrong I always wanted to work in Private Equity or Investment Banking. I liked the thrill of it from reading about how they backed all the start up airlines of the 1980s, (People Express and all the mergers at the time). I asked around and they told me, "You need a top tier education and experience." So I worked hard to get into LSE. Given I was in Boston, IB was out, so I needed a few years of Management Consulting experience to make Venture Capital/Private Equity even a possibility.

This is probably the wrong time to try and get a VC job. So I might end up in Consulting or Market Research. The goal is to make your experience as relevant as possible while not losing sight of your long term goals.

Remember that one day you'll have to retire. And you'll need money, and given the way things are going in this country a lot of it!. There is a balance between doing what you love and what is practical.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm

The path of least resistance is to say, I hate my job, but I can tolerate it by shutting off my brain for 8 hours a day and dreaming about the weekend all week long. This is what most people do.

It is much more difficult to say, I refuse to accept the dissatisfaction caused by this job, and I am willing to take risks and make sacrifices if the ultimate goal is becoming happier. This is the attitude held by the most successful people in the world.

I agree.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 45):

I do have goals. Eventually, I'll go back to school. Whether it's to get my MBA, or to go back for Psychology for 5 more years and open my own practice. My point is, my ambition is to work for myself. Whether I achieve that by going back to school or by doing something else is yet to be seen. I've made great contacts and connections at this job, and my boss would recommend me in a split second. Maybe you're under the impression that I'm not willing to work hard or expect to start at the top, but actually I work my ass off at work and am extremely dedicated, but at this point it's not something I want; it's not something I ENJOY doing. I have alternatives: my company also talked about transfering me to another contract job in LA. While I might take that option, I feel like exploring other avenues and I'm tossing around ideas as to what to do.

Maybe I can marry rich and never have started this post at all  Big grin

IAirAllie:

You seem a wise one. Is it all the yoga?
Prepare for take-off.

skyhigh777

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 46):
I am not "passionate" about either subjects, I just have an aptitude for them. I didn't love my job, but it enabled me to earn a good amount of money in a very short time and get all sorts of varied experiences that will benefit me long term.

I think your post may have been the most valuable to me, and the one I can relate to the most. Thank you.

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 46):

That's exactly how I feel, and I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm good at those subjects and at what I'm doing now, but I just don't have the drive for them. But, I think you're right. Gaining experience is important, and sometimes it's the contacts that you make as opposed to the work that you're doing that becomes most relevant.
Prepare for take-off.

AirframeAS

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Quoting Skyhigh777 (Reply 47):
IAirAllie:

You seem a wise one. Is it all the yoga?

Actually, I doubt it was. She is wise because she has experence in these kinds of situations and she also has a lot of *gasps!* maturity as well.

Quoting Skyhigh777 (Reply 47):
I have alternatives: my company also talked about transfering me to another contract job in LA. While I might take that option, I feel like exploring other avenues and I'm tossing around ideas as to what to do.

Why didn't you point this out earlier?! You still got flamed for this whole thing before stating that, was it worth it?

Now ask yourself: Was it a real, real good idea to quit my job now in these trying economic times? Then ask yourself that same question 5 years later.... You'll get my point.