AGM100
Topic Author

Letterman VS Palin ... How Do You See It?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Even if you dislike Palin politically .... do you support this kind of humor;? Let me tell you this ..if anyone ever said this about my daughter , I would track them down and beat the living @!!x&;$%;#(!!! out of him or get hurt trying !. I hope that Mr. Palin gets involved in this ... it is just gone too far now.

Do you think letterman went too far here ? Imagine if something like this was said about the Obama daughters ..or Chelsy Clinton . I personally don't care if they are democrats or republicans if anyone said that about my kid ...its going down.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...r_she_was_knocked_up_by_a-rod.html
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NIKV69

RE: Letterman VS Palin ... How Do You See It?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Thread starter):
Do you think letterman went too far here

He is part of the media that is in the tank for Obama. Him, Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, those idiots at MSNBC. Their agenda is simple, destroy anyone that may run in 2012' because their only goal is another 4 years for Obama.

Imagine if something like this was said about the Obama daughters ..or Chelsy Clinton .

Oh forget it, you would have boycotts and everyone asking for resignations. It's such a double standard.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Zentraedi

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:42 pm

I thought you were going to post about the "Slutty Flight Attendant" comment : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNV7V91b8Hc

Letterman just isn't funny. 10 was ok, but kinda stale. The flight attendant thing was just lame.

Even if you dislike Palin politically .... do you support this kind of humor;?

I'm sure the usual players here will tie their party affiliation to whatever response they have...

Personally, I'm offended by how unfunny it was and how much of my time was wasted watching his show.

Although, I think you take it too far when you pull out the "said this about my daughter". They are just words and they're both big girls(Sarah & Bristol). They can handle it.  Yeah sure

ShyFlyer

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:03 pm

At best, the joke was just plain lame. At worst...I'd say crude.
I lift things up and put them down.

mbmbos

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Do you think letterman went too far here ? Imagine if something like this was said about the Obama daughters ..or Chelsy Clinton .

Chelsea Clinton was frequently and visciously lampooned for being ugly. This included some stabs on Saturday Night Live.

Chelsea was never lampooned for getting knocked up because, well, she never got knocked up. Furthermore, she didn't have a parent who used the fact the she was pregnant to pander for votes during an election run. If she had been pregnant and if the Clintons had placed her front and center in their campaign efforts then she would have been satirized in the same way.

Sarah Palin made her daughter fair game when she paraded her around the campaign trail and made an issue out of her pregnancy.

Public personalities are fair game for the media. I can't say much about Letterman's taste in jokes, but it was bound to happen. If Todd feels angry enough about Letterman's joke to want to kick #$@$# he should look no further than the one term Governor from Alaska.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 2):
I thought you were going to post about the "Slutty Flight Attendant" comment

Palin herself is in my opinion , for lack of a better term fair game. She is a adult... she can defend herself. I guess many will defend letterman because she herself brought her kids into the spotlight .. in someways I think they are right about that . But as a Dad ... I would be pissed at this kind of talk coming from another man no matter what .

"said this about my daughter".

I can tell you that it really offended me ... I have been in a situation where my daughter needed defending and it was instinctual . If Mr. Palin is not offended by this then something is wrong with him ... any father would be in my opinion.

yowza

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Though the humor is a little weak and frnakly not all that funny when you're in the limelight particularly in the political arena this kind of stuff is going to happen.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 4):
Chelsea Clinton was frequently and visciously lampooned for being ugly. This included some stabs on Saturday Night Live.

I remember this well.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
Oh forget it, you would have boycotts and everyone asking for resignations. It's such a double standard.

Their agenda is simple, destroy anyone that may run in 2012' because their only goal is another 4 years for Obama.

YOWza

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:42 pm

You know I just don't remember allot of that ... I am sure it happened from time to time. I just don't recall that kind of vicious smear of Chelsey .... and I am glad. It would be the same issue ... President Clinton .. I mean Hillary Clinton could have kicked some ass and I would have respected them for it. !

Sarah Palin made her daughter fair game when she paraded her around the campaign trail and made an issue out of her pregnancy.

OK I saw the Obama daughters and Chelsy on the campaign trial .... let me get to writing up some smear crap about them.. please, its ..ridiculous .

ER757

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 pm

I think the joke was in poor taste. I don't like to see politicians' kids dragged into the fray. Even though in the case of Bristol, to a certain extent her Mom in a way did the dragging last year, I wish everyone would let it go. I doubt the kid relished the idea of having her pregnancy broadcast to the world, and by Mom no less, so I can't see the idea of keeping her name in the publice eye. Kids of candidates and office holders should be off limits for comedians in my opinion.

jcs17

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:48 pm

It's kind of pathetic and Letterman generally isn't very funny, as the ratings have proven.

Look, it's one thing to insinuate that Chelsea Clinton isn't a good looking woman (and note, they really didn't go after Chelsea until she was 18 or 19).

It's another thing to say that Willow Palin, 14 years old, who was with Sarah at the Yankees game had sex with A-Rod is another. I like shocking, raw humor, but really how would a similar joke about Obama's daughter go down. There would be mass outrage everywhere including here. He's gonna get away with it, but it was absolutely classless.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mbmbos

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 7):

OK I saw the Obama daughters and Chelsy on the campaign trial .... let me get to writing up some smear crap about them.. please, its ..ridiculous .

Did you actually read my quote? Did the Obama girls get knocked up and if so, did their father make a campaign issue out of it? Did Chelsea get pregnant?

You've got to wonder about a woman running for vice president who is so willing to give up her daughter's privacy in order to turn a campaign issue to her advantage. What a great mom! If you want to get pissed, get pissed with Sarah Palin who has offered the private lives of those around her as political fodder.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

us330

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 pm

I thought he crossed the line here, simply because the daughter he went after isn't a public figure and is still a minor. I had no issues with the flight attendant joke, or if he were to have made fun of Bristol. But the girl he mocked has not tried to become a public figure.

D L X

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting Us330 (Reply 11):
had no issues with the flight attendant joke, or if he were to have made fun of Bristol. But the girl he mocked has not tried to become a public figure.

For what it's worth, the caption is wrong. He didn't say anything about Willow. In fact, he didn't say anything about Bristol by name either.

With that said, he came dangerously close to the line. I hate the idea drawing the line at using the word "Bristol", but let's be clear: Palin exploited her daughter's pregnancy for political reasons. I'm upset that we're joking about something very serious about a person who should not be considered a public figure, but I'm also upset that Palin chose to exploit her.

Kind of makes it hard to yell at people for talking smack about your daughter when you are out there talking about your daughter's sins.

Falcon84

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm

Imagine if something like this was said about the Obama daughters ..or Chelsy Clinton .

Uh, Rush Limbaugh, on his TV show years ago, said that Chelsea Clinton was the White Houe dog. So, Chelsea was made fun of by none other than the current de-facto head of the GOP. So much for that.

He is part of the media that is in the tank for Obama.

Furthermore, she didn't have a parent who used the fact the she was pregnant to pander for votes during an election run.

The man wins the Todd Palin Action Figure.

[Edited 2009-06-10 17:11:46]
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:08 am

I'm sure the usual players here will tie their party affiliation to whatever response they have...

Yes indeed:

He is part of the media that is in the tank for Obama.

Predictable, really.  Yeah sure

The joke was in bad taste, though I'm not sure I'd go as far as this:

if anyone ever said this about my daughter , I would track them down and beat the living @!!x&;$%;#(!!! out of him or get hurt trying !.

That wouldn't really help anything.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 7):

The Obama daughters never really played a role in the campaign except for that puppy reference in the victory speech, which has found its way into the joke books. It's not really right, but it's the way life in the public eye is.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

mbmbos

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:13 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
The man wins the Todd Palin Action Figure.

Cool! You have no idea what I'm going to do with that doll.

Smile
- R.M. Rilke

vikkyvik

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:24 am

Do you think letterman went too far here ?

No.

He is part of the media that is in the tank for Obama. Him, Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, those idiots at MSNBC. Their agenda is simple, destroy anyone that may run in 2012' because their only goal is another 4 years for Obama.

Or maybe he's a TV host who is being a bit un-PC to get ratings.

Nah, couldn't be that.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 5):
She is a adult... she can defend herself.

Bristol Palin is an adult as well. And since Letterman didn't specify which daughter, I would automatically assume he was talking about Bristol.

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 9):
It's another thing to say that Willow Palin, 14 years old, who was with Sarah at the Yankees game had sex with A-Rod is another. I like shocking, raw humor, but really how would a similar joke about Obama's daughter go down. There would be mass outrage everywhere including here. He's gonna get away with it, but it was absolutely classless.

Where, exactly, did he say Willow? The whole time I was listening, I assumed he was talking about Bristol, since he didn't specify.

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
For what it's worth, the caption is wrong. He didn't say anything about Willow. In fact, he didn't say anything about Bristol by name either.

checkmark 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jcs17

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:37 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):

Where, exactly, did he say Willow? The whole time I was listening, I assumed he was talking about Bristol, since he didn't specify.

Willow Palin was the daughter that was with Sarah Palin at the Yankees game that Letterman was going on about. That led into the joke about her daughter being impregnated by A-Rod by the 7th inning. No, he didn't mention Bristol or Willow by name, but Willow was sitting right next to Sarah at the baseball game. Bristol was not there.

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):

The Obama daughters never really played a role in the campaign except for that puppy reference in the victory speech, which has found its way into the joke books. It's not really right, but it's the way life in the public eye is.

Neither did Bristol Palin. She wasn't making speeches for her mother at campaign stops. The media made Bristol Palin's pregnancy an issue. I'm sure Sarah would've preferred to have her daughter out of the front pages, but it was made a contentious issue.

Palin exploited her daughter's pregnancy for political reasons. I'm upset that we're joking about something very serious about a person who should not be considered a public figure, but I'm also upset that Palin chose to exploit her.

Yeah, I'm sure Sarah couldn't wait to discuss her kid's pregnancy. You're upset that Sarah Palin decided to exploit Bristol. Spare me your phony outrage.

Anyway, what would happen if someone to say that Obama's kids looked like they should be over the bridge in Anacostia? Give me a break with the double standard here.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

NIKV69

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Uh, Rush Limbaugh, on his TV show years ago, said that Chelsea Clinton was the White Houe dog. So, Chelsea was made fun of by none other than the current de-facto head of the GOP. So much for that.

Source?

mbmbos

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:18 am

- R.M. Rilke

NIKV69

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 19):
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 18):
Source?

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1895

Your using a left wing reporter saying he said it as a source? That doesn't hold up in court. Post a transcript or audio please.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 am

Apparently Letterman is making an apology for his poor taste comments as to Gov. Palin's daughter. I wonder if he will get some crappy service by 'slutty looking flight attendants' the next time he flys. Keith Oberman on his 'Countdown' programs also critized Letterman as well. I have never been a fan Letterman's humor, this confirms it.

Falcon84

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 am

And, NIK, if you didn't have the patience to look it up, here's the quote on Chelsea from that article that is linked above:

MORE REALITY: Columnist Molly Ivins reported (Arizona Republic 10/17/93) this incident from Limbaugh's TV show--"Here is a Limbaugh joke: Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" And he puts up a picture of Chelsea Clinton. Chelsea Clinton is 13 years old."
Work Right, Fly Hard

mbmbos

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:43 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
Your using a left wing reporter saying he said it as a source? That doesn't hold up in court. Post a transcript or audio please.

You can play these games all day long as far as I care. Run a search on Google and you'll come up with a multitude of hits on the subject.

Or, you can just believe whatever you want to believe.
- R.M. Rilke

Falcon84

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:57 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 23):
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):

You can play these games all day long as far as I care. Run a search on Google and you'll come up with a multitude of hits on the subject.

Or, you can just believe whatever you want to believe.

He believes whatever will not challenge his conservative preconceptions. I clearly remember the incident. But he won't have the gonads to Google it, because he'll find out it's true.

Actually, NIK, I'll save you the trouble:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1882947,00.html
Work Right, Fly Hard

L-188

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 am

I think it has been well known that Dave doesn't have any talent, which is why he lost the "Tonight Show" gig to Jay Leno 17 years ago.

The fact that he has resorted to telling rape jokes about 14 year olds just serves to re-inforce that point.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WarRI1

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:33 am

I think it was in poor taste, not funny. I think Letterman was guilty of using crude humor. We are all aware this is pretty common these days. Bad humor, aimed at a child of a politician that I do not like, but uncalled for just the same.  Sad
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

L-188

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 26):
I think it was in poor taste, not funny. I think Letterman was guilty of using crude humor. We are all aware this is pretty common these days.

I think the writer and Dave needs to hope he doesn't bump into A-rod in a dark alley.

I would be very upset at being accused of being a satatory rapist too.

dxing

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 am

Don't you think the writer and Letterman owed it to the Palins to make sure which daughter was at the game before making the joke in the first place?

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
Apparently Letterman is making an apology for his poor taste comments as to Gov. Palin's daughter.

Yes, he's claiming the joke was about Bristol, even though she wasn't even at the game which makes the joke even more stupid.

So I guess Michelle and the kids are now fair game?  sarcastic 

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):
And, NIK, if you didn't have the patience to look it up, here's the quote on Chelsea from that article that is linked above

Well at least your being consistent in your policy regarding two wrongs as being a right.  rotfl 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mirrodie

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:04 am

THis is the part where Nik bows out and doesn't respond, thereby conceding to your points.

Letterman was crude but that is his job.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

L-188

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:44 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 29):

Interesting I thought his job was to be funny.

Apparently he leaves that part to Bif.

Quoting DXing (Reply 28):
Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
Apparently Letterman is making an apology for his poor taste comments as to Gov. Palin's daughter.

Yes, he's claiming the joke was about Bristol, even though she wasn't even at the game which makes the joke even more stupid.

That's no why he is appologizing, it is because of the stink, and his appearance offer is for ratings.

D L X

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 am

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 17):
Yeah, I'm sure Sarah couldn't wait to discuss her kid's pregnancy. You're upset that Sarah Palin decided to exploit Bristol. Spare me your phony outrage.

Oh please. As soon as it came out that Ms. Abstinence-Only's kid got knocked up, she jumped headlong into the opportunity to taut her pro-life bona fides (even though she later admitted that she's pro choice).

Quoting DXing (Reply 28):
Don't you think the writer and Letterman owed it to the Palins to make sure which daughter was at the game before making the joke in the first place?

Why?

THis is the part where Nik bows out and doesn't respond, thereby conceding to your points.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

seb146

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:29 am

So, a comedian, who makes jokes about politicians, ANY politician regardless of party affiliation, makes a crude joke about the sister of a girl who had a baby out of wedlock. And...? Let's analyze this: Bristol got "knocked up" while still in high school and never married the father. Daughter of the party that touts abstinance-only birth control as the only way to teach our children. Not only that, the same party spouts off they are the party of family first and every man and woman who have a child need to be married in the church. On top of that, the
governer of Alaska parades her daughters around as part of the campaign.

Because of this "uproar" what is the logical choice? Never make any jokes about anyone affiliated with the right ever again because it will be in "poor taste?" WRONG!! Letterman is just as much an entertainer as Limbaugh. If you can't take it, change the freakin' channel!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:37 am

I dont really care ... I would work the the guy so hard if he said that about my daughter so that it that in my opinion . Its sick and letterman is a punk.... done.

us330

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm

My bad--I thought I actually heard him say Willow, when clearly he didn't.

jfk69

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:20 pm

There was a whole uproar during the campaign when an MSNBC reporter accused Hillary of "Pimping out Chelsea"....This caused a whole uproar and forced the reporter to apologize. Olberman (That wonderful reporter......echhh) apologized on behalf of his network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxgw04Y0Fc

So these things happen on both sides.

D L X

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 35):
There was a whole uproar during the campaign when an MSNBC reporter accused Hillary of "Pimping out Chelsea"....This caused a whole uproar and forced the reporter to apologize. Olberman (That wonderful reporter......echhh) apologized on behalf of his network.

Yup. And the reporter that said it was SUSPENDED. By that liberal rag, MSNBC at that.

So, NIKV and JCS, you're clearly wrong. Your knee jerk argument about how there is a double standard is completely debunked.

I note that a day later, this continues to be true. Will NIKV come back and admit he was wrong?

NEVER.

Aaron747

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 17):

Anyway, what would happen if someone to say that Obama's kids looked like they should be over the bridge in Anacostia? Give me a break with the double standard here.

There's no double standard. People, even talking heads in the media, should be able to tell it like it is.

Letterman's reference, in certain poses and photographs, is apt. References to the Palin daughters are apt because she bandied her mothering skills about as a way of establishing her family values credentials - and it all blew up in her face.

Chelsea Clinton is and was fair game because she's plainly unattractive and that's ironic considering her father's rampant womanizing. Limbaugh's joke was crude, but no less or moreso than Letterman's in my book. Plenty of girls (and guys for that matter) are worthy of the dog reference at that age. Who actually looked good in their junior high photos??

But Obama's kids are not reasonable targets. They're cute, they don't spend much time in the public eye except for housewives' morning chat shows and supermarket tabloids, and they're not being used as political cover for a parent's deficiencies.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):
Columnist Molly Ivins reported

Oh my ya that's unbiased ! I am going to send a email to limbaugh and find out about it. Anyway ... if he said it its wrong! .. period . President Clinton and Hillary Clinton were elected politicians keep there kids out of the monologue.

And I don't care if they have there kids on the campaign trail with them and do photos or whatever. No one should talk smack about someone elses kids. Frankly it shows me they don't respect there own kids ..

I still hope Mr Palin shows up at a show and confronts letterman ... that would awesome. Dude is a hockey player , hunter , and racer he would smack letterman around like a doll. !

mirrodie

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 30):

Interesting I thought his job was to be funny.

It is. But whether he crossed a line is debatable. Palin should have taken the higher road and ignored it.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 33):
I dont really care ... I would work the the guy so hard if he said that about my daughter so that it that in my opinion . Its sick and letterman is a punk.... done.

AGM, here's the deal: No you wouldn't. B/c then you'd be dealing with assault and battery charges. But then again, your daughter is not in the same light.

But as a new dad of a young lady myself, I already told my wife to expect the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3NQaU7awPI

Palin, running on this platform of family values, etc, etc, looked foolish when her daughter was found to be pregnant. Further, yes, she WAS knocked up and left single in the long run and it was public record.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 37):
Chelsea Clinton is and was fair game because she's plainly unattractive.

Get your eyes checked. I don't find her unattractive. She grew up in the White House in an awkward stage and looks nice. But opinions may vary.

http://www.celebritydietdoctor.com/w...ploads/2007/07/chelsea-clinton.jpg

But Obama's kids are not reasonable targets.

Sure they are. And they will be. Give it time and give them room to screw up. Look at the Bush girls. They were cute and pretty much left alone until the media learned that they were total party girls and the limelight came upon them.

Letterman said as a result:

"Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was okay for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."

I agree. But what is uncanny is that Palin condoned it by trying to celebrate it.

I don't get the conservative angle there. No sex ed in school, but if you get pregnant, no abortion and finally, no high taxes and therefore no welfare for you. Way to help out.  

[Edited 2009-06-11 09:33:19]

[Edited 2009-06-11 09:33:44]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

TylerDurden

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 33):
I would work the the guy so hard if he said that about my daughter so that it that in my opinion . Its sick and letterman is a punk.... done.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
I still hope Mr Palin shows up at a show and confronts letterman ... that would awesome. Dude is a hockey player , hunter , and racer he would smack letterman around like a doll. !

if anyone ever said this about my daughter , I would track them down and beat the living @!!x&;$%;#(!!! out of him or get hurt trying

Wow, Mr. Internet Tough Guy.
Still working on those anger issues?

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:09 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 40):
Still working on those anger issues?

I don't have anger issues ... its called standing for what is right. And it would be great to see Mr. Palin do it ... that's what being a father and a man is about. Protecting your family .

But ...I guess in the metro man age ... that's not a big deal anymore .

mirrodie

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

There's a difference between taking a stand for what is right and throwing off multiple references to "working the guy so hard" and "smacking" people around and "beating the crap out of someone".

Metro man or not, if a being carries on in the way you suggest, once all is said and done, you are the one with the arrest record and playing pinky to some dude in the big house.

TylerDurden

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 41):
that's what being a father and a man is about. Protecting your family .

If the only way you can do it is with violence---then that's certainly not being a man---that's being a caveman.

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 43):
that's being a caveman

Well , what other way are you going to do it . Do you have daughters ? If you do , and you do not feel a little violent if some dumb-ass makes a joke about you daughter being raped or whatever ... then you need a little caveman training. America needs more people who would get insulted by that ... what we have now is a bunch of PC video game porn whacking pussy's ...  old 

I don't mind being called a caveman if that's what it is. Someday when I am sitting in a rocking chair I would look back and know that the dude paid his bill ... that's all.

That's the point of this thread ... it was too see how men viewed this situation. Sadly its apparent.

czbbflier

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I recall a number of years ago, Frank Magazine, a political satire mag from Ottawa, had a contest to see who could 'de-flower' Prime Minister Brian Mulroney's daughter, Caroline, who was just graduating from high school at the time. Mulroney was outraged and many others, including some of his biggest detractors, agreed.

Political satire like that, no matter the circumstances, is completely unacceptable. Even if the kids are props. As such, the kids don't ask to be paraded in front of the world. They never deserve such treatment.

And I am no fan of Sarah Palin. No sense in victimizing any of Palin's kids twice- once for having to live by their mother's assinine 'family values' and second, for living through the consequences of those same ideals.

I hope that Bristol is happy and well. And I hope that she is able to lead a healthy and happy life. She deserves no less.

dxing

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 31):
Why?

Because for a joke to have humor there has to be some kernal of truth to it. Since Bristol wasn't at the game, the joke falls flat right there. To claim that the joke was about her makes no sense. Had his writers decided to fact check a little they would have realized their error before Letterman stepped in the crap. Rather than come out and just admit they didn't bother to check which daughter was at the game and blew it, he spends 20 minutes trying to explain his way around it. But go ahead an give him a pass. Anything or anyone that can be percieved as anti-Palin evidently has the green light among certain members.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

planespotting

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 46):
Because for a joke to have humor there has to be some kernal of truth to it. Since Bristol wasn't at the game, the joke falls flat right there. To claim that the joke was about her makes no sense. Had his writers decided to fact check a little they would have realized their error before Letterman stepped in the crap. Rather than come out and just admit they didn't bother to check which daughter was at the game and blew it, he spends 20 minutes trying to explain his way around it. But go ahead an give him a pass. Anything or anyone that can be percieved as anti-Palin evidently has the green light among certain members.

Kernel of truth? Fact checking? Are you serious? Why does a joke have to have truth or be fact checked? Late night monologue jokes are late night monologue jokes ... it's not like he was standing up there reporting the news.

The joke was obviously in bad taste, but that's Letterman, of whom I'm not a fan. An out-of-line, bad joke would have been to insinuate that A-Rod had knocked up Sarah Palin - it wouldn't have made any sense, and there's been no precedent established that Sarah Palin cheats on her husband.

However, there has been a precedent set that at least one of her teenager daughters has had sex. Since the writers must have assumed Bristol was at the game, it was more than appropriate, considering the huge tabloid-worthy drama that's been unfolding since it was announced that said daughter was pregnant back in September (much of it the fault of Ms. Moose Queen herself).

Hence, this was merely a mediocre joke that was out-of-line.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

dxing

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 47):
Why does a joke have to have truth or be fact checked?

When it involves a 14 year old it better be fact checked or you get the stink that this has produced

However, there has been a precedent set that at least one of her teenager daughters has had sex.

But not the teenager that was at the ball game.

Since the writers must have assumed Bristol was at the game,

And there you have it. They assumed and assumed incorrectly. Letterman could have come out and spent all of two minutes last night saying, we made a joke and did not realize which daughter was at the game. I apologize to the Palin family and Willow in particular. We made a mistake and we are sorry for it. ICase closed, he looks like he has some class, instead he spent almost 8 minutes running around in circles trying to defend the joke and say he didn't mean Willow when the joke was never clear on which daughter he was talking about other than a daughter at the game which was not Bristol.

Mir

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Chelsea Clinton is and was fair game because she's plainly unattractive

It's never appropriate to make fun of children just because of the way they look. And, to boot, she was 13 at the time. Limbaugh was out of line with his comment. If he really wanted to bash her for her looks, he could have waited until she was an adult.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 44):
Do you have daughters ? If you do , and you do not feel a little violent if some dumb-ass makes a joke about you daughter being raped or whatever ... then you need a little caveman training. America needs more people who would get insulted by that

One can be insulted without resorting to violence. It is not one or the other.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day