Qantasistheway
Topic Author

Ronaldo Set To Move To Real For £80 Million

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 am

Well it has finally happened! He is now set to move to Real for £80 million. I do think that there will be something missing in English football, even if most people can't wait to see the back of him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8094720.stm

What are your views?

Revelation

RE: Ronaldo Set To Move To Real For £80 Million

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 am

For those of us dummies, Cristiano Ronaldo isn't (the other) Ronaldo.

Boy, that's a lot of dosh Real is coming up with - CR + Kaka - where's it all coming from?

Bet the last Real chairman wished he got to spend so much money.

[Edited 2009-06-11 02:44:35]
Inspiration, move me brightly!

aussie18
Crew

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 am

Be good to see how Kaka and Ronaldo go together in same side and whether they can next season compete with Barca,Not bad for La Liga aswell to have probably 3 best players in the World in their League at present.

The likes of Ribery,Benzema already being linked as replacements for Ronaldo...

GrahamHill

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 am

These amounts of money (65 million for Kaka, 95 million for Ronaldo) are absolutely ridiculous. If Kaka is worth 65 and Ronaldo 95, then Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are worth 150 each.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Qantasistheway
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:13 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 3):
These amounts of money (65 million for Kaka, 95 million for Ronaldo) are absolutely ridiculous. If Kaka is worth 65 and Ronaldo 95, then Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are worth 150 each.

Wow! That's not biased at all. Real have wanted Ronaldo for a long time, and he has been at the heart of Man Utd's game for a while. Manchester United wouldn't have sold him for less because he is an important player. Kaka is certainly worth that money.

Revelation

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 2):
The likes of Ribery,Benzema already being linked as replacements for Ronaldo...

It sounds like Sir Alex will have UKP 80M to spend on restocking.

It's all about when they come onto the market, isn't it?

Seems like CR is coming on the market at the ideal time from ManUtd's point of view.

Not to say that La Liga won't be very interesting this year!  Smile
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Ncfc99

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:25 am

Quoting Qantasistheway (Thread starter):
I do think that there will be something missing in English football, even if most people can't wait to see the back of him.

I agree. I live near Manchester and I am surrounded by ManU fans everywhere. I like to watch their games for 2 reasons. One is to watch his fantastic skills, you never know when he will pull a bit of magic from his hat, the other is to enjoy giving their supporters a load of greif if he does something wrong, or a trick that dosen't come off.

the best moment I can remember about Ronaldo was the look on David James's face after he scored a free kick against him. He didn't utter a word but you could see him thinking, "How the **** am I supposed to save that"

I personnaly would not rate Kaka, Iniesta or Xavi as good as Ronaldo or Messi. I think those two are in a league of thier own.

JJJ

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
It sounds like Sir Alex will have UKP 80M to spend on restocking

Take 8m off, that's Ronaldo's agent cut.

GrahamHill

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:01 pm

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 4):
Wow! That's not biased at all.

Big grin

What I mean is that €95 million is too much for a football player.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

TristarAtLCA

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm

I think United must be laughing all the way to the bank. They pick up £80m for a player who didn't want to be there and was displaying more and more petulance on and off the field. Utterly ridiculous amount of money for a player who, IMHO, despite scoring his fair share of goals is certainly not the game breaker that amount of money should command.

I also wonder what Platini makes of this. He criticises the English game for the amount of money sloshing around the Premier league and then Real dump £130+ million on two players. I eagerly await his response.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

JJJ

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 10):
I also wonder what Platini makes of this. He criticises the English game for the amount of money sloshing around the Premier league and then Real dump £130+ million on two players. I eagerly await his response

The debt figures for RM last summer were 560+ mil. euro.

I'd like to see how they look like by the start of next season.

JJJ

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 pm

BlueElephant

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Let me be clear, I think both Real Madrid and Man U are losing out.

I think Man U made a mistake. They could have held out. They need a VERY good replacement for a winger, as Ronaldo scores at least 25% of Man U's goals.

Real Madrid?...you're going back to your Galacticos era, with too many good players....Ramos is going to have a hell of a time, handling Kaka, Ronaldo, Raul and Van Nistelrooy.

I like Barca too but I wouldn't rank Iniesta or Xavi that high....I would rank Messi higher then both Kaka or Ronaldo.

Yes but who on the market can replace Ronaldo. I can only think of two people, and I don't think they'd be able to leave Barca or AC Milan at the moment.

TristarAtLCA

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 13):
.Ramos is going to have a hell of a time, handling Kaka, Ronaldo, Raul and Van Nistelrooy.

Ramos was replaced by Manuel Pellegrini June 1st.

RussianJet

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Thank goodness this overpaid, melodramatic, spoilt fool is finally getting the hell out of my country. He may be a good footballer, but he's one of the most odious and loathesome characters in existence. Good riddance! Go and trip over daisies every two minutes and have your tantrums elsewhere!
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:39 pm

These amounts of money (65 million for Kaka, 95 million for Ronaldo) are absolutely ridiculous.

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 4):
Manchester United wouldn't have sold him for less because he is an important player. Kaka is certainly worth that money.

I don't understand how European (and American) politicians throw a temper tantrum when a CEO of company that actually produces things/employs people/creates wealth is paid a bonus yet don't even bat an eyelash for a person that plays with a ball.
E pur si muove -Galileo

TristarAtLCA

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 12):
Unexpected, huh?

Not sure what the huh? is about, but I was expecting the President of Uefa to say something as he appears to be on a fiscal discipline stance at the moment.

However he is living in fantasy land if he feels that clubs like RM, Man U etc will be banned from Europes premier tournament on the basis of debt. Reductions in TV rights revenue will probably kill the idea at fist base.

fruitbat

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:29 pm

I think that the owning Glazer family may have other plans for it - like paying down some of the debt they took on to buy the club a few years ago.......

From the Daily Telegraph, 18th March 2008

"Leading the way are Manchester United, whose owners, the Glazer family, refinanced borrowings of £660 million in 2006 to help pay for the club in their £800 million takeover in May 2005. According to figures released in January, United's pretax profits for the 12 months to June 30, 2007, were £42.28 million, only slightly more than their £42 million interest payments."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/col...uld-hurt-Premier-League-clubs.html

So selling Ronaldo keeps the banks off their backs for another couple of years...
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Real Madrid are paying silly amounts of money for players, no player is worth that amount of money, even if you're as good as Ronaldo or Kaka. From a financial perspective, Man Utd are doing a good piece of business, you simply can't say no to those figures. I dislike Ronaldo's petulance and the touch of arrogance and ego, but he's a phenomenal player. Man Utd's problem is finding a replacement, no one else in their team is a prolific goalscorer. But Arsenal moved on after Thierry Henry (greatest player ever to play in England most would agree) so Utd should be able to move on.
In Arsene we trust!!

RayChuang

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 am

What I find HIGHLY amusing about Real Madrid CF buying Ronaldo and Kaka in the transfer market for these totally silly sums is that the actions remind so much of the current New York Yankees in American Major League Baseball--the belief you can buy the best players to win a championship. How's that worked out for the Yankees so far this last decade?  Silly

In contrast, current "treble" champion FC Barcelona is like the Boston Red Sox--willing to spend, but also have vastly superior coaching and team chemistry.

RGElectra80

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:33 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 20):
In contrast, current "treble" champion FC Barcelona is like the Boston Red Sox--willing to spend, but also have vastly superior coaching and team chemistry.

Not to mention home-grown talent.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

aussie18
Crew

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 am

Great way for Ronaldo to celebrate his new contract by spending the night with Paris Hilton.

JJJ

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 17):
Not sure what the huh? is about, but I was expecting the President of Uefa to say something as he appears to be on a fiscal discipline stance at the moment.

Some of the English public took previous remarks from Platini as an attack on English clubs, rather on foolish spending.

I'm glad to see you're not one of them.

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:32 am

These amounts of money (65 million for Kaka, 95 million for Ronaldo) are absolutely ridiculous. If Kaka is worth 65 and Ronaldo 95, then Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are worth 150 each

Probably, but Barça won't let the go ... I'm sure Perez tested the market and asked around to see if Messi was availbale

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 13):
Real Madrid?...you're going back to your Galacticos era, with too many good players....Ramos is going to have a hell of a time, handling Kaka, Ronaldo, Raul and Van Nistelrooy.

Problem of the galacticos era was that everyone remembers the last part, forgetting that part of the galacticos did win 2 Champions Leagues

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 19):
Real Madrid are paying silly amounts of money for players, no player is worth that amount of money, even if you're as good as Ronaldo or Kaka. From a financial perspective

Everyone said the same when they got Zidane, who was a much older player and also very expensive (73 mill Euro!) ... but boy did he deliver!
But also from a finanial perspective, they will get a lot of revenue on sponsorships, selling jerseys, etc.
Not to mention that every tv station in the world will want to show Real's games.

The only thing I'm worried about is where did this money come from .. especially because there will be more players coming, and not cheap.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

JJJ

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 24):
Problem of the galacticos era was that everyone remembers the last part, forgetting that part of the galacticos did win 2 Champions Leagues

Only 1. The Galácticos era started with Florentino bagging the election and getting Zidane on board.

They had just won the CL the previous year, but it was not a galactico victory. RM played with the likes of Morientes, Redondo, Raul, a very young Anelka, etc. Hardly galactico material.

All in all, Perez inherited a team that was already Euro champs, spent some silly amounts of money and all he got was 2 leagues and a CL in 6 years before leaving through the back door, leaving not a single penny from the huge real estate operation that was the ciudad deportiva affair and increasing his personal worth 6-fold on the 6 years he was at the helm.

Some people have very selective memory indeed.

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 1):
Boy, that's a lot of dosh Real is coming up with - CR + Kaka - where's it all coming from?

I am asking myself the same question. Where is all this money coming from?
Who is footing the bill?
This is truly surrealistic in times of economic downturn.

Panem et circenses.  Wow!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Thom@s

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:31 pm

I think United made a pretty good deal. Ronaldo as a player will be difficult, if not impossible to replace, but considering they bought him for £12 mill and sell him on for £80 mill, that's a helluva lot of money.
First priority should be to sign Tevez, and then it would be nice to see a talented right winger join United. Ribery would be good... but who knows which players Fergie is looking to sign... Perhaps a return for Beckham?  Wink :P

I'll miss Ronaldo's skills, goals, and the way he got the crowd excited with his very presence, but I will not miss his personality.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

EZEIZA

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:42 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 24):
Only 1. The Galácticos era started with Florentino bagging the election and getting Zidane on board.

Forgetting Figo there ...

the sequence was Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Becks ... this time he got two of that level in a week!

Quoting JJJ (Reply 24):
They had just won the CL the previous year, but it was not a galactico victory. RM played with the likes of Morientes, Redondo, Raul, a very young Anelka, etc. Hardly galactico material.

Raul was always considered part of the Galacticos ... and Redondo was oen of the best players of the last 20 years, so it wasnt like they had a crap team. You are also forgetting about Roberto Carlos, Hierro etc.

Quoting JJJ (Reply 24):
All in all, Perez inherited a team that was already Euro champs, spent some silly amounts of money and all he got was 2 leagues and a CL in 6 years before leaving through the back door, leaving not a single penny from the huge real estate operation that was the ciudad deportiva affair and increasing his personal worth 6-fold on the 6 years he was at the helm.

2 leagues and a CL, 1 European Supercup (for the first time), 2 spanish supercupes and 1 Intercontinental ... in the first three years. So its not selective memory, it's exactly what I said, he is remembered for the last part when people are forgetting the first part.

JJJ

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:43 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 27):
Raul was always considered part of the Galacticos ... and Redondo was oen of the best players of the last 20 years, so it wasnt like they had a crap team.

I'm not saying it was a crap team (they won the CL) but was not what a Florentino-signature galactico team (big names, focus on attacking players, etc.).

2 leagues and a CL, 1 European Supercup (for the first time), 2 spanish supercupes and 1 Intercontinental ... in the first three years. So its not selective memory, it's exactly what I said,

On the 1st three years the team came from already winning a CL title, you can give credit to the previous management here. The only titles that matter there are leagues and CL's, supercups and intercon are single or two-match competition that can't compare to a league or CL.

Also, considering how quick they were throwing money down the toilet you can hardly argue it was a success.

he is remembered for the last part when people are forgetting the first part.

Take a look at Marca, As, Cuatro, A3, etc. (most of the Spanish press, for that matter, except those explicitly backing Barcelona) Florentino has been hailed as a Messiah for some good 6 months now.

EZEIZA

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 28):
Take a look at Marca, As, Cuatro, A3, etc. (most of the Spanish press, for that matter, except those explicitly backing Barcelona) Florentino has been hailed as a Messiah for some good 6 months now

I tend not to believe the constant BS they publish, in the same way I can't stand Sport. The bias is just too big for Real or Barca, but I still believe Floren was a good President. He had a fair share of success on the pitch and a great success in making the team a world known brand ...
obviously nothing can be taken for granted, and if the team doesn't play like a team the won't win crap, no matter what stars they have, but after the Calderon fiasco (and the horrible job done by Mijatovic), the "ilusion" is back. I don't know how, but in hos first 10 days as president Floren managed to get the two players that Calderon had promised in years.

JJJ

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 29):
but in hos first 10 days as president Floren managed to get the two players that Calderon had promised in years.

Actually the Ronaldo deal was signed by Calderon, and with all the uproar with 96 m. euro for Ronaldo and 76 for Kaka means Valencia is now asking more than the 42 million they had agreed to sell Villa for.

In hindsight, it might be a good thing. Maybe Floren will have second thoughts about his previous 'sign big name forwards, forget about the back' policy.