Kiwirob

School Uniforms Yey Or Ney?

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:13 pm

I've got a little dude starting school next year, back in NZ he would be wearing a uniform, nice and easy for mum and dad, same clothes everyday, no need for additional clothing, unfortunately here in Norway they don't have uniforms, this is supposed to give children sense of individuality (funny since Norwegians aren't very good at individuality, but that's another story) but not good for mum and dad. I wore a uniform everyday of my school life except my final year when we were allowed to wear mufti, I think it would be great if Norwegian schools introduced a uniform, so what are your opinion, for or against.

Ken777

RE: School Uniforms Yey Or Ney?

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:22 pm

For,

We had them when we lived in Australia and it does save money. It also puts all kids at the same level as it eliminates the "I wear designer clothes" bit.

When we came back to the States we lost the uniforms and it did get expensive. And even in elementary school kids were brand focused.

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 pm

One topic discussed to death in Germany over and over again...

I do see the positive effects in terms of everybody having the same appearance, but I prefer how it is in Germany and Denmark, because some individuality does not hurt either.

Also, I recall watching the girls wearing their g-strings was quite a nice memory from good old school times  Wink

So, a clear no from me.

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 2):
Also, I recall watching the girls wearing their g-strings was quite a nice memory from good old school times

They can still wear a g string in a school uniform skirt

afterburner

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Also, I recall watching the girls wearing their g-strings was quite a nice memory from good old school times Wink

They can still wear g-strings under the uniforms. Big grin

mbmbos

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:34 pm

I've got mixed feelings.

On the one hand, uniforms equalize status among peers. On the other, it celebrates forced conformity.

Cadet985

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:44 pm

I hated the idea of uniforms when they were made mandatory in the Philadelphia Public School District during my junior year of high school. We lost our individuality and the right to express ourselves. Having a dress code is one thing (no short shorts, see-thru clothing, etc.), but to tell students they can only wear certain colors - in my case, khaki and navy blue - is a terrible idea. I happen to despise khaki, and so did a lot of people I went to school with, but no one cared.

The school district tried to justify it as stopping problems because kids who have money will stop picking on those who don't, and designer clothes wouldn't be as big a deal. Guess what. I don't come from money. In fact, even to this day, I can't comprehend people who spend $200 on a pair of jeans. Not having designer clothes never bothered me one bit. I never cared, and I will never care what people think of how I look. I am an individual.

If you want a good laugh, the uniform policy came into effect while my English class was reading 1984. Everyone in my class found that ironic.

Marc

PSA53

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 pm

For:

Kids aren't there in school to make a fashion statement or bruise egos.They're there to get a good future.Of course,that won't ever happen in US public schools.

Oh,wait a minute.Obama is in office.Maybe the uniform dress code would pass,uncontested by the ACLU and media.   

Note: As so far as I know,there was never a uniform public school policy in SoCal schools.

[Edited 2009-06-14 11:53:34]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Yellowstone

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm fine with them in elementary and middle school, but not high school. By that point, kids should be allowed to start expressing themselves through their clothing choices.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

stasisLAX

Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 7):
Note: As so far as I know,there was never a uniform public school policy in SoCal schools.

We need a uniform dress code here in SoCal because of all the gang violence in the schools - even at the elementary level. It's a shame, but the gangs have infiltrated the schools at all grade levels - with parents even driving their gang-bangers kids to gang-fights here in Long Beach.  vomit 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 8):
By that point, kids should be allowed to start expressing themselves through their clothing choices.

Ah but who buys those clothes?

Yellowstone

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
Ah but who buys those clothes?

Either the kids or the parents. I'm certainly not suggesting that parents aren't going to have some influence over their high schoolers' clothing choices, but I don't think that's the school's role.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

LTU932

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Absolutely not. Not only does that keep us from having some individuality at school, but it's also a waste of money. Here in Costa Rica, school uniforms are mandatory since you start in Kindergarten. Previously, all schools had a standardised uniform (a light blue, skant like shirt with blue trousers (for girls, a dress like uniform) for Kindergarten, white shirt with blue trousers/skirts for primary school, and light blue shirts and blue trousers/skirts in secondary school), but now, all schools are getting, little by little, their own uniform design (mostly just the shirt) and that alone costs money.

And people wonder in Costa Rica why so many kids drop out of school. It's not just because most teachers are academically incompetent, but also because the costs for text books (most of which don't even have subsidy from the central government) and uniforms exceed the budget of those who barely have enough money for food and water.

As for the academically incompetent part, the problem is that in Costa Rica, the public school system requires you to learn things from memory and not make comprehension exercises. I went to the German School (which BTW is getting less money from the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs each year, because less students pass the German Sprachdiplom exams), and I've seen part of the system that I was used to (learn, comprehend, learn only the essentials by memory and understand the subject first and foremost), and a system that gave me a headache during each exam (the Costa Rican system, learn everything by memory, understand only the essentials). Just as a little background information, so you know how the system is constantly failing in this country, because of academic failures and too small budgets.

flybaurlax

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:28 pm

In high school we didn't have to wear uniforms, but there was a dress code. We had to wear collared shirts, except for Wednesdays, where we could wear Tshirts that were affiliated with our school; such as club shirts, or shirts with the school's logo, or anything revolving around the school. When we were seniors we got to wear affiliated tshirts every day of the week, which was kinda nice. Of course we had to dress up in tie every once in a while for certain occasions, but overall it was a positive experience since we could be individuals while standing out from the rest of the neigborhood (I went to Loyola high school in LA).
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

blink182

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 pm

I wore a school uniform and adhered to a grooming policy for twelve years and though there were times when I was annoyed with having to wear the same thing daily(x 12 years), in immediate hindsight I see the rationale. Growing up, adolescence, and high school can be difficult enough as it is IMO, and not being judged on my appearance at school was one thing, perhaps even the one thing that I did not have to worry about. We judged each other on academic ability, athletic ability, the way we spoke, the way we walked, the way we thought: you name it, we judged each other by it--particularly during the middle school years. There was enough going on during adolescence as it was, and appearance would have been an easy target. I speak mostly to the middle school years, and being at an all-male high school, I honestly don't know that we would have been extremely judgmental of clothing--particularly in later years. Nevertheless, uniforms cost money, but I don't think my parents or my classmates' parents will argue that they spent more on uniforms than what they would have otherwise.

Ironically, wearing a formal uniform ingrained a bit of clothing etiquette in me and that appearance does matter at times. I've found that my college has tried to ingrain the importance of proper attire for career interviews, and I've seen many of my classmates go to job interviews while dressed sloppily(untucked shirt, sloppy facial hair, improper footwear etc.). Perhaps unsurprisingly, I and my classmates who used to wear uniforms, never have had this problem.

Do I believe that clothing reflects personal identity? Yes, wholeheartedly, but I also have come to believe that personal identity is not just a fashion statement, even if fashion is part of one's identity and certainly the most visible part.

Though I left the daily formal classroom attire behind when I graduated high school, I nevertheless feel like my K-12 years were probably made a little bit easier because my outward appearance was nearly identical to my peers, and if nothing else, I also learned how to dress professionally when required.

That's my  twocents 
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Kiwirob

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
but it's also a waste of money

It's not it saves parents money, it's been proven many times over.

RussianJet

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Definitely yes. School uniform is a great leveller.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

EASTERN

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I went to both public and private school growing up. At first, I resisted the uniforms for my private high school. After a few months I realized how easy it was and how much I enjoyed it. We had to wear a blazer or wool sweater with the school emblem, with a white button down, a tie, and khaki/blue/black/gray pants. A few months during the summer we were allowed to wear polo shirts as the building was ancient and didn't have air conditioning. We also had strict grooming guidelines that stated we could not have facial hair, unnaturally colored hair, etc.

I never had to think about what I wore in the morning. I don't think that it discouraged individuality. We all had our distinct personalities and knew each other. We didn't need clothes to say who we were. It also did save our family money.

I am a big supporter of uniforms. I remember in middle school being made fun of because at the time my family could not afford Nike's. We did not have this in private school. We went to school, focused on our academics, and that was it. When I graduated and went to college, I really started missing my uniform!
P from NYC

mke717spotter

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm

I had to wear uniforms during grades 6-8 and I hated it, as did everybody else. I just couldn't help but get the impression that some of the teachers were constantly on the verge of wetting themselves over how "professional" and "intelligent" we looked.  yuck  It made me sick. Then our class went on a field trip to see some play and the theater staff thought we were from some def school because of the outfits...  bored 
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

BAViscount

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 pm

In theory I agree with school uniforms, it should make school life a whole lot easier. However, in my personal experience, it doesn't necessarily alleviate issues around who can/can't afford designer labels etc.

I was at secondary school here in London from 1978 to 1983, and we were required (as were the majority of other schools in London) to wear a uniform. Ours was black blazer with school badge, a white or grey shirt, school tie, black or dark grey trousers and black shoes. For PE we had to wear a plain white t-shirt, white shorts and socks and white trainers. All fairly standard stuff. However, at the time, "designer labels" was starting to creep into the global vocabulary, and consequently it then became important in my school to wear a particular brand of white or grey shirt, a particular brand of black or grey trousers and a particular style of black shoes. And don't get me started on the traumas that we went through making sure that we conformed when it came to PE kit, especially in the trainers department!

So even within the bounds of a specified uniform, if your family couldn't afford to buy you what was considered fashionable, you were still given a hard time.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

LTU932

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 15):
It's not it saves parents money, it's been proven many times over.

Could you please show me where it has been proven? From my personal experience, it is a waste of money. After all, at least in Costa Rica, parents have to buy new uniforms, new trousers for uniforms each year, and people rarely get any subsidy for that (and if they do, it's very small and insufficient). Don't forget that kids grow over the years and also, that some schools change the uniforms each year. At my school, after I graduated from 12th grade (which was the only year when we were no longer forced to wear a uniform), they started to change uniforms each year. One year they were brown, another year they were pink, and so on. And when I was there, the worst part is when you met teachers, who would harass you for being even slightly out of uniform (e.g., if your shirt wasn't tucked in properly, or if it was one of those rare days, when everyone could come in street clothes).

And even for the standard uniforms, they're always made of very thin fabric, which can easily tear apart. Like I said, it's a waste of money, especially if they're implemented in public school systems, where subsidies for low income families are either inexistent, or simply insufficient to cover the costs of buying uniforms, textbooks, etc. It's better to have a general dresscode (in the sense that students can wear something casual, but not too casual) than enforcing the use of the uniform that is only good for a year or less.

Bongodog1964

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Here in the UK school uniform is more or less mandatory for everyone up to 16 years old.
There may be a school or two somewhere that doesn't have unifrom, bu i'm not aware of them.
6th form 16-18 year olds) wear whatever they want.

Tops are normally sourced through the school, as they have the school logo on them, they tend to be hard wearing and competitively priced. Trousers/skirts have to conform to a school colour (usually black or grey) be of a plainish style, and can be bought from one of the big supermarkets (most seem to come from Asda or Tesco)

IMO the advantages are:
Less expensive than much of the normal childrens clothing
Harder wearing
More practical for school activities
provides an identity for the school
Makes truancy more difficult, as they stick out when they skive off school and hang about in their logoed clothing

Disadvantages:

Er none

My wife has two cousins, one bringing up a child in Texas, and one in Carlsbad, both say they would prefer the Uk system of having a uniform.

One thing I would say is, that though we have a uniform, not everyone looks the same, because their is normally some freedom regarding trousers/ skirts etc, you do see slight variations, unlike when I've visited former UK colony islands in the Carribbean, where the school uniform appears to be absoloutely uniform, and every child is turned out immaculately.

BAViscount

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 21):
Makes truancy more difficult, as they stick out when they skive off school and hang about in their logoed clothing

I would disgaree with that, or at least I would from the time when I was at school. I once bunked off school and caught the train down to LGW to do a few hours spotting on the viewing deck...all the time sporting my full school uniform. No one turned a hair, questioned me or even looked at me twice!! Big grin

Granted, things may have changed these days.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

itsjustme

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:27 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 3):
They can still wear a g string in a school uniform skirt

Which is even hotter than wearing one under a pair of jeans!

jetblueguy22

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I am mixed. I currently attend a school that requires a uniform and my previous school required a uniform. Although it is nice to get a casual day once in a while it is nice to be able to just get up and throw on the uniform instead of having to think about what I want to wear. The thing with casual is I can find something that is comfortable because the school pants always aren't. Another thing though too is the school uniforms are extremely expensive. I know when I buy a set its not uncommon for it to reach $175.

Also, I recall watching the girls wearing their g-strings was quite a nice memory from good old school times Wink

Oh trust me that is still a good part of school Big grin.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:31 pm

The growing popularity of uniforms or specific clothing and appearance requirements in our USA public (government run) schools is due to several factors. In the late 1960's and early 1970's when I was in HS, there were very specific appearance and dress codes. They often banned long hair on men and odd-colored hair on women, banned too short skirts on women, required dress type slacks for men and skirts/dresses for women, no jeans or work clothing, no snekers and only dress shoes, generaly button front dress shirts with collars for men, suitable blouses for women. There was no uniform requirement, but generally you would have to dress like modern day 'business casual.
By my Senior year (1971-72) A US Supreme Court decision limited the ability of public schools as to hair length and similar requirements. Schools then allowed women to wear slacks, short pants and t-shirts in warm weather, jeans could be worn by either men or women. There were still rules for too short skirts or too showy tops, men had to wear shirts with sleeves, and pretty much that is the policy for many schools today. They do have bans on certain clothing with sports logos, anything that is too commercial, obscene, pro drug, advertising alcoholic product or advocating it's use, too political, offensive to others as to their race, gender or faith, too short or showy of skin (especially bare midriffs of women - no ''muffin tops') or too tight clothing. Modern rules also allow clothing and accessories if a person is of certain faith beliefs (like head scarfs if a female Muslum or a male Skih for examples).
Some urban and suburban schools have turned to having uniforms to get away from clothing competition, reduce costs to parents, make all students no matter their economic backgrounds be somewhat equal, instill school and eductional pride, reduce issues as to enforcing appearance standards, deal with street gang issues and to get students better prepared for the real working world where they will have to wear more appropiate clothing.

AirframeAS

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Thread starter):
School Uniforms Yey Or Ney?

When I was in school, I never was required to wear a uniform. We never had uniforms back in those days. Having a uniform while in high school defied the point to anything. Heck, we did not really have a dress code at my high school, except for the obvious stuff that would distract the learning process.

Thank goodness for no uniforms. I vote nay!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

us330

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

I always thought the nicest part of having uniforms was that it bought you 15 minutes of extra sleep in the morning, since you knew what you were going to wear and didn't have to make any decisions.
I didn't mind, and still wouldn't mind if I had to a wear a uniform in my adult life. Then again, I'm also the type that would love to have a magical pill that could be taken everyday that could fulfill all nutritional requirements and serve as a full substitute for eating meals, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

VonRichtofen

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

I would vote "Yey".

I wish my school had uniforms when I was in Junior High.

It would have saved me almost daily ridicule and embarrassment because I had to wear my brothers hand me downs from the 80's or K-mart clothes because that's all my mother could afford. By the time I got to high school I had part-time jobs so I was able to buy my own clothes.

I would have much rather had uniforms though. Individuality goes out the window when being bullied.

ACDC8

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 28):
It would have saved me almost daily ridicule and embarrassment because I had to wear my brothers hand me downs from the 80's or K-mart clothes because that's all my mother could afford.

Your lucky, I had some of my sister's hand me downs ..... yikes! That made high school alot of fun ...  Silly

I'm for school uniforms. I went to a private school for a few years where a uniform was required. Seems to really make everyone much more one the same level and might even teach the kids and parents a bit more about respect and responsibility.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

VonRichtofen

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
Your lucky, I had some of my sister's hand me downs ..... yikes! That made high school alot of fun

I had some hand me downs from my sister as well...but luckily for me she was a total tom boy Big grin

KSYR

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I went to a public middle school and then a private high school. Neither one required uniforms, although the private school had a pretty reasonable dress code that was expected to be adhered to (no gym shorts, no facial hair for guys, no tank tops for girls, no offensive t-shirts, etc.). I have to say that I'm against uniforms (boring), but would be in favor of a dress code that was reasonable and not too strict. Uniforms serve a purpose in maintaining the dignity of a school, but the same thing could be accomplished much more easily by implementing and enforcing a dress code.

Dreadnought

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 pm

I think most people miss the point. Yes, it levels the playing field as far as fashion goes. But that is not the most important factor at play.

When you go to work in later life, especially in a nice job, you wear a coat and tie. It is a mark of respect for the institution, your collegues, and your customers. It reinforces the fact that you are at WORK. Once you go home, you can change into something more comfortable and relax.

The same goes for the military. You see military personel in camo gear even when they are not in the jungle, because they are on duty. They can change later when they go off-duty or on leave.

I think the same applies for school. A uniform reinforces the fact that you are at SCHOOL, not at home, not at the playground. Different expectations apply. You are there to learn, and while you are at school and in uniform, you are on the school's time and obey their rules in all things. In the afternoon, you can go home, change into your baggy shorts and hip-hop gear and be as goofy as you want, "expressing your individuality" to your heart's content.

For.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

photopilot

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:13 am

Hell, I wore a school uniform all through high-school (G9 through G13) and agree fully that it's a great idea. It gave a sense of unity to the school and it's students.

I now work in an industry where everybody wears a uniform, albeit different depending upon your actual job with the company. You don't see a suit until you get up to the executive offices. Heck, the whole airline industry wears uniforms. How would you like you pilot to show up to work in jeans, sandals and a Harley t-shirt?

A uniform IMHO shows respect and professionalism both for yourself and your company or school. I'm all for it.

LTU932

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 31):
I have to say that I'm against uniforms (boring), but would be in favor of a dress code that was reasonable and not too strict.

I fully agree with that statement. A reasonable dress code is much better than either school uniforms, or badly dressed students.

Mir

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:59 am

Nay on uniforms, but yea on dress codes.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 am

Concerning individuality, I don't know how many people in here (from non-school uniform countries) have ever served in some uniformed service (military, police, fire brigade, civil defense etc.). I have noticed, while serving in a rescue platoon of the German civil defense that outsiders look foremost at the uniform and thinks that all persons are just the same. The members look BEHIND the uniform and recognise the individuality of the comrades. No need to express the individuality through clothing (in the end aren't branded clothes just another type of uniform?).
School uniforms don't need to be expensive. In Ireland I've seen that the trousers are pretty much standard gray all over the country. Same applies to the boy's shirts, either white or light blue and the blazers (only the badge varies). The skirts of the girls vary a bit, from knee length to ankle length (at schools run by the Catholic church), as do the colours. For the rest, they use sweat shirts or pullovers in a few school colours, which repeat over the country. The stuff gets sold at a rather low price (it is mass produced after all) at the local supermarkets and is definitely cheaper than the usual branded stuff.

According to my Filipina girlfriend, school uniforms are well affordable, at least for the middle class, in the Philippines. One thing many people forget is that, if there are several children in the household, they tend to be handed down to the younger siblings if the older children grow out of them (what btw. happened to handing down clothes? When I was a boy, my mother received clothes from a friend, who had a boy slightly older than myself. Later, as a teenager I wore clothes given to me by my dad. Once the stuff was too small for me (and still wearable), it was passed on to my younger brother. Nowadays it seems that all clothes have to be brand new and to have an expensive brandname label on them (on the outsiside, so that everybody can see it. Back in the 70s, we used to keep the labels INSIDE).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

AirframeAS

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 32):
When you go to work in later life, especially in a nice job, you wear a coat and tie.

Not anymore. A lot of companies have really relaxed the dress codes in recent years. It makes the workplace seem less tense and invites a lot of freedom as well. I now see a lot of women who have traded in the dresses/skirts and heels for trousers and casual shoes that are comfortable. Heck, I have seen Sean Menke at F9 a few times and he has never worn a tie each time I saw him. The only time I have seen him wear a tie is in his monthly letter to our customers in our in-flight magazine.

It is a mark of respect for the institution, your collegues, and your customers. It reinforces the fact that you are at WORK.

Times have changed, as so have companies around the U.S.

The same goes for the military. You see military personel in camo gear even when they are not in the jungle, because they are on duty. They can change later when they go off-duty or on leave.

This is the only thing that has not changed and shouldn't. But this is the military for you, after all....

Kent350787

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 am

Most schoolkids here in Australia wear uniforms, both public and private schools. I wore one all my school life, and my son (second year of primary/elementary school) wears one. My wife wore one too (and looked pretty good in it, but that's another story!  Smile ). For most public schools its not cmpulsory, but strongly encouraged. More strictly applied in private schools I understand.

In my view it's just easier all round for parents, and does cut out an unecessary area of competition in the schoolyard. And with shoes, socks, scarves etc. kids get their own bit of individuality.

Maybe it rubbed off on me though - for work, I have two suits, 5 shirts and a few ties and just mix and match them all year long.....a little like a uniform!

Kent

WildcatYXU

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:58 am

Uniform at school? ABSOLUTELY NOT! At least not as London's CCH done it. Shitty quality overpriced pieces of junk that our daughter is forced to wear... vomit 

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 6):
I can't comprehend people who spend $200 on a pair of jeans.

I can't comprehend people who spend $ 50 on pair of jeans.

When you go to work in later life, especially in a nice job, you wear a coat and tie.

As long as you don't work for AB Inbev. If yes, you'll meet VIP's wearing jeans and t-shirts. What you wear is absolutely irrelevant in our culture, what you do is.

IMO schools shouldn't care about the student's appearance, their business is to care about the student's knowledge. Teach the kids. No uniforms, no sport teams (do you hear me, CCH????) . Education. That's the school's mandate. Period!!!!
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

2707200X

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:26 am

Long Beach Unified has had a school uniform policy for fourteen or fifteen years now, it has not done much to improve test scores though in school violence has dropped when the policy was first initiated but who knows now.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Dreadnought

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 40):
Long Beach Unified has had a school uniform policy for fourteen or fifteen years now, it has not done much to improve test scores though in school violence has dropped when the policy was first initiated but who knows now

As it happens there was a press release just the other day.

http://www.lbusd.k12.ca.us/uniforms/article_14.cfm

After two full years of required school uniforms in grades K-8, districtwide school crime in those grades is down 71 percent. For the same period, crime in LBUSD high schools, where uniforms are not required, increased 28 percent.

"In many schools with uniforms, the rate of student absence has decreased, which means more instructional time for students and more ADA revenue to the school district.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

AirframeAS

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 41):
"In many schools with uniforms, the rate of student absence has decreased, which means more instructional time for students and more ADA revenue to the school district.

In other words, the schools are more worried and focused about driving in revenue than actual education.  sarcastic  Very sad, if you ask me....

cgnnrw

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:41 am

I attended a Catholic elementary school and we had to wear a uniform. I think it did save my parents money. My mom bought 3-4 short sleeve shirts for Summer and Spring and 3 or 4 long sleeved shirt for the Winter, 3 pairs of Navy blue pants and a pair of "dress shoes" and that was it. Oh yeah and about 5 ties, because I kept loosing them. Anyway it avoided all early mornig arguments about what to wear to school.

It didn't affect me in a negative way. In fact I was probably the only first grader on the block who knew how to tie a tie.

I switched to public high school which didn't have a uniform policy or a dress code as far as I knew. I never paid much attention to fashion but I do remember there were kids who always had the latest styles which weren't cheap. Students like me who wore K-mart or generic clothes were subject to a bit of teasing but I knew then those students weren't the kind of friends I wanted to hang out with anyway.

I believe not having a uniform is more detrimental than wearing one. Parents don't have to listen to their kids whine and complain they have "nothing" to wear. Avoids early morning arguments about what a kid has one and kids won't be teased for not having the "hippest" clothes either.

For all those "uniforms inflict on my individuality, rights, creativity, etc" ....that's nothing but BS.

So, in a nutshell - yes on uniforms.
A330 man.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 24):
Another thing though too is the school uniforms are extremely expensive. I know when I buy a set its not uncommon for it to reach $175.

Which is pretty cheap considering a pair of levis are about $150 - $200, plus t-shirt, hoodie, socks, shoes. My last school everything was the same, shorts/trousers, shirts, jersey, blazer, socks, shoes, P.E. gear all the same all sourced from either the school shop for clothing with logos or from a school uniform supply shop for the rest. In my last 5 years at school the uniforms never changed, they are still the same today and that's neary 18 years since my last day.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 42):
In other words, the schools are more worried and focused about driving in revenue than actual education. Very sad, if you ask me....

Considering kids in the US have a short school day and a shorter school year thyan most other countries, I'd be more worried about how stupid American kids are compared to most of the rest of the world. As that study showed if you have a uniform you spend more time in school, now if the school get more money because of it then they get to spend that money on educating your kid, nothing sad about that, if you ask me....

MD11Engineer

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:52 pm

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 43):
For all those "uniforms inflict on my individuality, rights, creativity, etc" ....that's nothing but BS.

When I was in highschool in the early 1980s, the kids used to "uniform" themselves, by wearing typical clothes for their clique, to be recognised instantly as a member. This olften led to fights.
E.g. we had punk rockers (after all it was the high time of punk rock), teds (dressed in 1950s Elvis Presley garb), "Poppers" (snobbish children of richer parents, who tried to show off by wearing expensive designer wear bought with dad's credit car, the arch enemies of the punks, often leading to fights), "Ökos" (supporters of the newly formed Green party, usually dressed in bib overalls, clogs and homeknitted sweaters) and Nazi skinheads (also often got into fights with the Ökos and anarchist punks).
I never was a member of any group (though got along best with the punks and Ökos), occasionally coming to school in a boiler suit (after school I used to cycle to the nearby physics department of the local university, where a master mechanic was treating me like an apprentice and where I learned metal work, unusual for a student of a school leading to an academic career and often ridiculed at least by the Poppers, who aimed at lucratice jobs in field like business or law).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

fxramper

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:59 pm

I wore a uniform from kindergarten through my 10th grade year (sophomore) year in high school. Attended chapel every Wednesday.  pray 

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 5):
uniforms equalize status among peers

checkmark 

Agree with you 100%.

yes 

AM744

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm all for uniforms in elementary and middle schools. Discipline is good. Knowing that you can't have it your way all the time is a valuable learning experience. Kids still manage to wear the brand sneakers and accessories they want to, so a touch of individuality there.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 39):
Shitty quality overpriced pieces of junk

I have to admit that's true. I had to live with that for quite a few years. But then again, dad and mom were sensitive enough to get us nicer wool pants, etc. when possible.

Yellowstone

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 44):
Which is pretty cheap considering a pair of levis are about $150 - $200, plus t-shirt, hoodie, socks, shoes.

Who buys their kid $150 jeans? Raise your kid to know how to dress nicely without relying on brand names, and you can assemble an outfit for something like $55-85 ($20-30 jeans, $10-20 shirt, $25-35 shoes).

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 46):
When I was in highschool in the early 1980s, the kids used to "uniform" themselves, by wearing typical clothes for their clique, to be recognised instantly as a member. This olften led to fights.

I'd certainly agree that a non-uniform school should have a dress code that prevents that sort of thing. At my high school, the main concern was gangs, so the rule was that one couldn't wear more than one item of red or blue. Enforcement of that rule was somewhat tied to race, though, since the two local gangs were both Latino.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 38):
In my view it's just easier all round for parents, and does cut out an unecessary area of competition in the schoolyard. And with shoes, socks, scarves etc. kids get their own bit of individuality.

Maybe my high school was different, but I never heard anyone take heat for dressing more frugally. Not that there weren't kids who did buy high-end stuff, but the general sense was that that was a personal choice that didn't really matter much. As for your second point, I'd argue that even with a uniform you're going to have some degree of competition in those flexible areas. At the middle school I went to, it was skirt length - the "cool girls" had their parents hem their skirts up shorter. (Funny tangent - the problem with this was that the skirts were pleated, and tended to go out rather than down if hemmed too short. To avoid flashing everyone, the girls took to using these "Academic Expedition" pins we'd get for especially good work to pin the pleats down. This usually worked, except when the pins would spring open, and the unsuspecting girl would wind up with a pin stuck in her butt when she went to sit down.)