SA006
Topic Author

Confed Cup South Africa : Your Thoughts?

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi everyone.

As a resident here in Joburg and experiencing the Confed Cup here first hand, I would like to hear everyone elses opinions on the curtain raiser for the world cup, mainly from an international perspective.

Personally it seems surreal watching the tournament on tv. It feels as if Im watching something along the lines of the Euro, the way the stadiums look, the conditions of the pitches, the way it is broadcast on tv etc.

Would just be interesting to hear from soccer fans around the world how you feel about the way in which South Africa has presented this tournament.

World Cup Fever has definately hit South Africa big time! Off to Ellis Park tommorow for Italy Egypt.  Smile

-SA006
Proudly South African

signol

RE: Confed Cup South Africa : Your Thoughts?

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I, and I suspect most Europeans, would regard the Confederations Cup as a bunch of friendly matches. Not least because England isn't there  Smile
Realistically, I'm looking out for the results (Go Bafana!) but no more than that - I doubt I'll watch any games on TV.
Of course, the main reason for the tournament is to test out the stadia, security, facilities etc.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

LTU932

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm sorry, but the Confed Cup is a waste of time, and a waste of money for the teams involved. The only thing it serves, is as a trial run for the World Cup next year. It's just more of a strain than a prestigious tournament. Remember the New Zealand vs Spain match in Rustenburg, when only have of the stadium was full.

If it was a World Cup, the stadium would be full, but who cares for the Confed-Cup? FIFA should just drop this tournament, because it only serves one thing: Fill up the pockets of Joseph "Septic" Blatter.

TIA

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 am

Quoting SA006 (Thread starter):

As a resident here in Joburg and experiencing the Confed Cup here first hand,

This is going on a tangent, but other than the stadiums, what other piece of infrastructure is being updated in Jo'burg? I've already bought my tickets for next year and will be catching six games in Jo'burg, and I am wondering what kind of infrastructure projects are being undertaken to make the city more fan-friendly (for lack of a better word).

signol

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:08 am

Quoting TIA (Reply 3):
what other piece of infrastructure is being updated in Jo'burg?

They're updating JNB and CPT airport terminals, and in Joburg they are building a new rail network linking the city centre, Sandton business district, the airport and Pretoria:

www.gautrain.co.za

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

CPH-R

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):
If it was a World Cup, the stadium would be full, but who cares for the Confed-Cup? FIFA should just drop this tournament, because it only serves one thing: Fill up the pockets of Joseph "Septic" Blatter.

And as predicted, Blatter have already blasted the organisers for not having full stadiums  Yeah sure

SA006
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 5):
And as predicted, Blatter have already blasted the organisers for not having full stadiums

That is a bit of a disappointment, the fact that the hosts South Africa couldn't fill up a game for Bafana Bafana was a bit shocking. However, Brzil Italy is completely sold out as well as the final and i think the two semis. Its difficult for alot of the poorer South Africans who are passionate about football to afford the tickets. But then in that case, shouldn't FIFA and the South African organisers lower prices or give away the left over tickets to those who cant afford it in order to fill up the stadiums? It is only the Confed Cup....

The fact is no matter if it is the Confed Cup or not, having lived in this country and city all my life, I'm really impressed at how South Africa has handled this. Confed Cup or not this is one of the biggest tournaments that has hit South Africa and the way this third world country has set it up, the magnificent playing fields and the stadiums plus security etc just astonishes me really. Didn't think we would be fully capable. And the vibe at the games whether they full or not is insane.

Like I said, World Cup fever is definately here, that is for sure.

-SA006
Proudly South African

LTU932

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting SA006 (Reply 6):
But then in that case, shouldn't FIFA and the South African organisers lower prices or give away the left over tickets to those who cant afford it in order to fill up the stadiums?

They would have never done that, because of FIFA's (or rather Blatter's personal) greed. FIFA doesn't care about the game anymore ever since Blatter came to power, why else do you think they'd charge outrageous prices for stadium tickets to World Cup/FIFA matches (except World Cup qualifiers), why they'd change the statutes to allow people over 21 to change their national teams (as long as they haven't played an official international match) as if they were changing teams or their own underware (e.g. the case of Jermaine Jones, who's changing from the German to the US national team because he feels neglected by Joachim Löw), and why else do you think Blatter proposed to return to the times before the 70's by eliminating the penalty shootouts and re-introduce re-matches for the World Cup finals?

Blatter wants the quick buck. He doesn't care about the game, and especially not the fans. Therefore, don't expect any rebates for tickets to the World Cup, because the South Africa organisation commitee is guaranteed to be more dependent and more obedient towards FIFA than the organisation commitee lead by Franz Beckenbauer for the 2006 World Cup. And if this trend continues under Blatter, or anyone else who's loyal to Blatter, then I fear the worst for the World Cup in the years to come. Hell, even Michel Platini from UEFA, whom we love to criticise in Europe, would probably be a bit more suited for the job than Blatter, and only because, unlike the bureaucrat Blatter, Platini has played the game and knows its dynamics and how it works from personal experience.

Yellowstone

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 pm

My thoughts? One more opportunity for the US to embarass itself on the world soccer stage. We're going to wind up last place in our group again (unless we can beat Egypt by 5 goals, which is highly unlikely).
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

SOBHI51

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 8):
(unless we can beat Egypt by 5 goals, which is highly unlikely).

The way the Egyptians are playing very unlikely. I am enjoying the games on TV. My knee will be operated on Friday so i will be in bed Saturday and Sunday enjoying the games.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

andz

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
Quoting SA006 (Reply 6):
But then in that case, shouldn't FIFA and the South African organisers lower prices or give away the left over tickets to those who cant afford it in order to fill up the stadiums?

They would have never done that, because of FIFA's (or rather Blatter's personal) greed.

I heard on the radio yesterday that unsold tickets would be given away.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SA006
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 10):
heard on the radio yesterday that unsold tickets would be given away.

Yep. Was offered 4 free tickets upon entering Ellis Park last night for the Egypt Italy game. Nearly 53 000 attendance, close to the stadiums capacity which was good to see.

-SA006
Proudly South African

SOBHI51

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting SA006 (Reply 11):
entering Ellis Park last night for the Egypt Italy game.

Oh how i wish i was there with you.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:47 am

Quoting SA006 (Thread starter):
Your Thoughts?

The U.S. soccer team is not good.

That is all.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

fxramper

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:00 am

When did Egypt get a soccer team that could play?  rotfl 

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 13):

Agreed.  rotfl 

SOBHI51

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:10 am

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 14):
When did Egypt get a soccer team that could play?

Egyptian team won Africa championship twice in a row and 3 out of the last 4.

They are good team.

andz

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:07 am

Egypt 1, Italy 0.

yes that Italy, the world champions.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

SA006
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:06 pm

Arguably one of the better teams in the competition. They deserved to beat Brazil in their 4-3 loss or at least a draw.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 12):
Oh how i wish i was there with you.

Off to Italy Brazil tonight, sold out for quite a while Big grin

-SA006
Proudly South African

Sabena332

Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:23 pm

I wanted to watch the Spain vs. South Africa game together with two friends yesterday night. We switched to another program after 15 minutes because we fed up with the sound of these damned plastic trumpets:

The sound - during the whole 90 minutes - is so friggin' annoying, it is impossible to enjoy the game.  banghead  I really, really hope that they ban this shit for the upcoming World Cup!

No wonder that several players already complained, it is impossible to communicate with your team mates on the field because it is way loud, furthermore is it really hard to stay concentrated because the sound is annoying!

I rather watch some movie tonight instead of the games. I already know that I will switch to another program after 10 minutes!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

LTU932

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 18):
The sound - during the whole 90 minutes - is so friggin' annoying, it is impossible to enjoy the game.

You haven't seen either the Gold Cup or international matches in the US (and involving non-US teams). They use those things all the time down here, and it really gets annoying after kickoff.

I really, really hope that they ban this shit for the upcoming World Cup!

checkmark 

BTW: Italy is getting its ass kicked by Brazil! It's 3:0 after halftime. That's what Italy gets for its arrogance, it's insisting on playing catenaccio, and Marcello Lippi for playing with people, who for football standards, are already great grandfathers.  mischievous 

airkas1
Crew

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:06 pm

I've beeen enjoying the games as well. The only thing I was wondering about was how the teams were chosen.
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

Acheron

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 20):
The only thing I was wondering about was how the teams were chosen.

Quote:
The competition is organised by FIFA. It is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner and the host country, to bring the number of teams up to eight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Confederations_Cup

whappeh

Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm waiting to see what the US will do against Spain.  Big grin
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

Alias1024

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:22 pm

They say that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Today, the US was both. Thank you Brazil.

I just hope we don't get our asses kicked too bad by Spain.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

SA006
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:22 am

The sound - during the whole 90 minutes - is so friggin' annoying, it is impossible to enjoy the game.    I really, really hope that they ban this shit for the upcoming World Cup!

On TV it can get annoying. Was at the Italy Brazil game last night and those 'vuvuzelas' create such an atmosphere. I hope they dont ban them, its a unique sound that you get here. In the stadium it creates a mad atmosphere. Even Brazilians and Italians from overseas were blowing these horns non-stop.

-SA006
Proudly South African

AM744

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:49 pm

They use those things here in Mexico and I hate them too!

Yellowstone

Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:56 am

Nothing wrong with the vuvuzelas, just the way they are used. If you're going to make noise, at least have the noise be connected in some fashion to the play on the field. Don't just make noise all the time for the sake of being noisy.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

airkas1
Crew

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Yay, the US is 2-0 up against Spain! What a great match to watch.

AM744

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Great. I'm happy for the U.S. This can only help further the level of the North and Central American Football Confederation. Mexico did pretty well on the 2006 Confederations and won the 1999 edition, so CONCACAF can't be as bad as frequently stated. There are two decent teams in it which is pretty healthy and unprecedented.

Alias1024

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes!!!  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

The US got some big performances from their players today. Onyewu and DeMerit were huge in the middle, blocking shots and controlling the aerial attacks into the penalty box. Tim Howard was great too, making several big saves. Dempsey played well, Davies looked good early and Altidore had one of those flashes that showed why so many of us have such high hopes for him.

But the man of the match for me is Landon Donovan. He's often maligned by US soccer fans for not stepping up on the big stage, but he did today in a big way. He was by far the most comfortable American on the ball in crowds, keeping possession and giving the US a chance to regroup or start their attacks forward. He was huge for us today.

Not to complain about a big win, but did anyone see what made Michael Bradley's foul worthy of a straight red card? It wasn't high, the cleats weren't up, the player wasn't in on an obvious goal scoring opportunity, it was late but not terribly so. My initial reaction watching it was that a yellow card would even be a bit harsh. Was there a different angle that showed something I'm missing? Either way, we're really going to miss him in the final.

SA006
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 pm

South Africas turn now to cause an upset?  crazy 

-SA006
Proudly South African

RayChuang

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 pm

I keep on forgetting that Spain has a bad habit of folding at inopportune times in major international competitions--Spain winning Euro 2008 is almost an anomaly.

But still, we're talking the biggest shocker in association football since Liverpool FC came back from down 3-nil to AC Milan to win in penalty kicks at the 2005 UEFA Champions League final.  Wow!

LTU932

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 28):
Mexico did pretty well on the 2006 Confederations and won the 1999 edition, so CONCACAF can't be as bad as frequently stated. There are two decent teams in it which is pretty healthy and unprecedented.

The problem with Mexico is that the FMF is itching to switch to CONMEBOL permanently, that ESPN's panelists (e.g. Carlos Albert, the guy who whines a lot) constantly bitch and moan about how mediocre Mexican football is (though sometimes, they do have good points), and the two buddies Justino and Decio are now trying to put a gag order on teams, so they don't talk bad about the Mexican national team, not to mention making time wasting tournaments like Superliga (which are only there to make a profit) and making friendlies only in the United States or abroad (also for the sake of money).

CONCACAF is a complicated confederation. Apart from the Big Three (United States, Mexico and Costa Rica), and the personal interests of Jack Warner, most teams in CONCACAF aren't exactly very competitive teams (perhaps another exception would be Honduras and El Salvador, but that's it). And like I said, it's evident that Mexico no longer wants to be in CONCACAF for that reason, and prefers to become a full member of CONMEBOL. That being said, if Mexico was to leave CONCACAF, it would make the region even more mediocre than it already may be, leaving just Costa Rica and the US as the top teams.

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 am

After watching the conquest of Spain by the USA Ive realized that if the Americans actually bothered with soccer at even 1/10th the level of NFL, MLB or NBA and put in the kind of money and training etc. they would probably send almost everyone back to their mommy crying from severe beatings.

BTW Anyone watch Sergio Ramos?  rotfl  I wouldnt even put him on a MLS team after such a performance.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:55 am

2nd biggest upset in U.S. soccer history! Way to go, USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Falcon84

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 33):
After watching the conquest of Spain by the USA Ive realized that if the Americans actually bothered with soccer at even 1/10th the level of NFL, MLB or NBA and put in the kind of money and training etc. they would probably send almost everyone back to their mommy crying from severe beatings.

I think you're right, but the fact remains that the U.S., as a nation, just isn't into Soccer. Never has been, and I doubt it ever will be. We have our sports that we dearly love, in football, baskeball and baseball, and everything else plays second fiddle. I'm a hockey fan, and it's beyond me why it's never caught on in the states like the other sports. I'm sure Soccer fan wonders the same thing.

It's just the way it is.
Work Right, Fly Hard

whappeh

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:33 am

I think soccer is getting bigger in the US, can't deny that. It will never reach NFL, MLB and NBA... but who knows, I think at least 30% of our population cares in some way about soccer, and 30% of our population is still a lot of people.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

fxramper

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:01 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 34):
2nd biggest upset in U.S. soccer history! Way to go, USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say first dude. We beat the best team in the world, ranked #1.  yes 

aerobalance

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:06 am

I still can't believe the U.S. Team beat Spain! I'm stunned.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

L-188

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:36 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 13):

That is all.

Cheers,
Cameron

You want to take that back?  flamed 

Yes, Us yankee's are starting to figure out this soccer thing. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.

box 
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alias1024

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:36 am

BTW Anyone watch Sergio Ramos?    I wouldnt even put him on a MLS team after such a performance.

The defending on the second goal looked like MLS about ten years ago. Just slightly above the level of a high school junior varsity team.

Somehow I doubt whomever we play in the final will gift wrap us a goal like that. I still can't believe the multiple ways Spain's back four screwed up to lead to the second goal.

I can see us defending like that, one need only look at the WC Qualifier in Costa Rica, but Spain?

Yellowstone

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:59 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 37):
I'd say first dude. We beat the best team in the world, ranked #1.

Yes, but we're ranked #14. Well behind Spain (with ~900 points to their ~1700 in the FIFA rankings), but up there nonetheless. The biggest upset remains the US's 1-0 defeat of England back at the 1950 World Cup, when a team of semi-pro players knocked off one of the world's top soccer teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_v_United_States_(1950)

airkas1
Crew

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 29):
The US got some big performances from their players today. Onyewu and DeMerit were huge in the middle, blocking shots and controlling the aerial attacks into the penalty box. Tim Howard was great too, making several big saves. Dempsey played well, Davies looked good early and Altidore had one of those flashes that showed why so many of us have such high hopes for him.

But the man of the match for me is Landon Donovan. He's often maligned by US soccer fans for not stepping up on the big stage, but he did today in a big way. He was by far the most comfortable American on the ball in crowds, keeping possession and giving the US a chance to regroup or start their attacks forward. He was huge for us today.

True, but I think Howard was in great form aswell.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 29):
but did anyone see what made Michael Bradley's foul worthy of a straight red card?

IMO a yellow card would be sufficient.

Revelation

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:02 am

I consider myself a casual football/soccer fan and watched the game today.

The US was scrappy but it seems to me both goals would not have happened if it weren't for a healty dose of good fortune, along with that scrappiness.

In the US, after such a win, we ask if the same teams played 10 times, how many times would the US win?

And as we also say, it doesn't matter, a win is a win.

The relatively early goal allowed the US to crawl back in their shell, and Tim Howard was taking more incoming than a Republican Guard in Kuwait, but some how the scrappiness and good fortune held up.

And yes, the straight red card was crap, it seemed the official wanted to try to give Spain a last minute boost, and I'm glad it didn't work out.

And yes, I wanted to take every one of those trumpets and turn them into their owner's own personal proctoscope. I wish each of those owners were forced to hear that sound every time they try to have sex the rest of their lives!

To end on a positive note, the US played with great heart and scrappiness (if not skill), and am glad they won. And now, let's see SA take out Brazil and have a US-SA final!
Inspiration, move me brightly!

JJJ

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:42 am

Congrats to US real football fans  Smile

The 2nd Ramos goal serves him well for being an utter prick Big grin and hopefully the Spanish press will stop being such arrogant arseholes.

Well, shit happens, good thing it wasn't the WC.

planespotting

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 43):
Tim Howard was taking more incoming than a Republican Guard in Kuwait, but some how the scrappiness and good fortune held up.

Tim Howard certainly outperformed in the goal, but his defensemen saved the day time and time again. It seemed like whenever Spain had the opportunity for a quick shot on goal from inside the 18 yard box, a defender was there at the absolute last second to put a foot or a head or a chest or a leg into the ball's path and knock it away.

Really superb timing by the American defenders. And even though the two goals were pretty easily scored, the US was able to capitalize on Spain's miscues, and Spain wasn't able to do the same. Teams that win make you pay for mistakes.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

fxramper

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 44):
Congrats to US real football fans

Appreciate the kind words. The best team didn't win yesterday, but it was a great match!

Quoting JJJ (Reply 44):
The 2nd Ramos goal serves him well for being an utter prick

Hilarious!

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 45):
Tim Howard certainly outperformed in the goal

Only this 3rd cap for Confederation Cup and he's leading the tournament in saves; brilliant.

SA006
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 46):
Only this 3rd cap for Confederation Cup and he's leading the tournament in saves; brilliant.

Thats because the USA were shocking in the first two :P

6 goals in two games means alot of saves in between.

AGain tonight off to Ellis Park to see Bafana Bafana defeat brazil.....Well try at least  Smile

-SA006
Proudly South African

Revelation

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 45):
Tim Howard certainly outperformed in the goal, but his defensemen saved the day time and time again. It seemed like whenever Spain had the opportunity for a quick shot on goal from inside the 18 yard box, a defender was there at the absolute last second to put a foot or a head or a chest or a leg into the ball's path and knock it away.

It must have been an immensly frustrating game for Spain. They had uncountable opportunities, but just weren't able to make the breakthrough due to scrappy defending.

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 46):
The best team didn't win yesterday, but it was a great match!

It was a great match. Very hard to watch, it seemed like watching 1000 car wrecks about to happen, but they never did. It was frustrating to see the US give up posession cheaply time and time again, but Spain could never quite capitalize.

It must be frustrating for Spain to fall one short of the record winning streak of 36 games.

And must be very satisfying for the US to be the one who ended it!

Thanks to the US team for a spectacular effort and a really enjoyable match to watch!

Better luck next time, Spain!
Inspiration, move me brightly!

AM744

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:13 pm

{off topic}

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 32):

Couldn't agree more with you. And you are right, Costa Rica is a fine contender having demonstrated it in qualifiers and World Cups ever since 1990. I do find objectionable though, that the CONCACAF Championship ALWAYS takes place in the US, which increases their chances of participating in this Cup. I think you'd agree with me that if the Gold Cup was held in say, Costa Rica, they'd have a pretty good chance at winning it. Greed is immense in the soccer world and CONCACAF is no exception. Dollars are better than pesos or colones for all they care.

{off topic}

Congrats to the US team. Discipline and hard work always yield results. Worthy lesson for so many national teams.