JakeOrion
Topic Author

N. Korea May Launch Missile At Hawaii On July 4th

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Oh, this ought to get real fun if this is true.

According to Japanese intelligence:

Quote:
North Korea may launch a long-range ballistic missile towards Hawaii on American Independence Day, according to Japanese intelligence officials.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...aunch-Hawaii-Independence-Day.html
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

OA260

RE: N. Korea May Launch Missile At Hawaii On July 4th

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Hopefully its not true and just media hype. If it were true and did happen then I fear what would happen next.

JakeOrion
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
If it were true and did happen then I fear what would happen next.

You think China or maybe even Russia would get involved?

Or are we looking at total decimation of North Korea via US and South Korea, probably Japan as well?
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Jetsgo

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Wow. This is a bit of a step up from their usual rhetoric isn't it? Are they threatening to launch in the general direction or actually to make a hit? I can only imagine the response...

Save us Obama  Yeah sure
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Jpax

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 3):
Save us Obama

He will, undoubtedly! The proper recourse should a strike actually take place is a stern wag of the finger and stiffer economic sanctions.  Wink

BMI727

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Someone should really remind the North Koreans what happened to the last people to take a potshot at Hawaii.  flamed 
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

HOMER71

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:23 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 4):
The proper recourse should a strike actually take place is a stern wag of the finger and stiffer economic sanctions.

Hmm, sounds kind of harsh, don't you think?

Sincerely,
The UN
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Phoenix9

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Thread starter):
Oh, this ought to get real fun if this is true

Well fun isn't the word I would use to describe it....but if it is true....it will get "interesting" (read: sht will hit the fan)

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 3):
Save us Obama

Why must you turn this into something about Obama???
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

D L X

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 pm

If North Korea fires a missile at Hawaii on July 4, we'll know that the real fireworks will be in Pyongyang on July 5.

Phoenix9

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
we'll know that the real fireworks will be in Pyongyang on July 5

Probably more like 1-2 hours later on July 4th....5th would be the end of the fireworks.

B6JFKH81

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 pm

How long does it take to build a fallout shelter??  scared 

Let's face it, the leader of N. Korea is a total nutjob. While the rest of the world is trying to figure out how to live in a world w/o nuclear weapons, N. Korea wants to launch something towards the only country that actually used a nuclear weapon during a war. Talking about stepping back in time a few decades...

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

BMI727

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 7):
Well fun isn't the word I would use to describe it....but if it is true....it will get "interesting" (read: sht will hit the fan)

Well, not if you happen to be North Korean. The result would be something like Carlos Zambrano throwing to little leaguers. If they are serious about this, Kim had better get himself a nice comfy bunker, and I'll get some popcorn and a CNN live feed.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Phoenix9

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:55 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 10):
How long does it take to build a fallout shelter??

I don't think they have a capability of launching a missile with a nuclear warhead....if anything it will be a conventional missle....which will probably be intercepted mid-air and NK will be looking red-faced with a large number of missles pointed at or lodged up their  butthead 

B6JFKH81

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 12):
I don't think they have a capability of launching a missile with a nuclear warhead....

...yet. Give 'em time. Good thing my 2nd job is at a state facility that has buildings from a long time ago and some still have signs indicating that there are fallout shelters inside!!!!

Considering how far I am from HI, I know I am safe for now, but it really amazes me that it just seems there will NEVER be a time when things will be somewhat peaceful. Guess it's just living in a post 9/11 world.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Phoenix9

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 13):
Give 'em time

Of course, with time anything is possible. But don't you think development of a nuclear warhead by July 4th is cutting a bit too close?

DeltaMD90

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am

Well hope it doesn't come down to this but I'm ready to defend you A.Netters! Let's hope this maniac will be removed from office soon...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Falcon84

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 am

The story says, actually, that they may fire a missile in the direction of Hawaii, sometime between the 4th and 8th. Semantics aside, this is clearly a provocative step by the DRPK, and God help them if they wold hit any U.S. territory. In fact, even if it comes in the vicinity of Hawaii, I think a proportionate response would be firing some cruise missles at some of their military installations.

I don't think they have a capability of launching a missile with a nuclear warhead....if anything it will be a conventional missle....

There won't be any ordinance on there, once would think-although with those lunatics, you never know. It'll be a dummy warhead. They just want to test and see how far they can shoot the thing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

TheCol

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 2):
You think China or maybe even Russia would get involved?

It's a given Putin would sit it out. China would probably object to military action at first, then change their minds shorty after.

I don't think they have a capability of launching a missile with a nuclear warhead

Or launch a missile that far. They might do a few missile tests, but none of them will be nuclear tipped and won't make it across the pacific.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 5):

Yeah, it's getting to that point. If Kim does try to push his luck as far as Hawaii, then a nice naval blockade might get his attention.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

stasisLAX

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:50 am

The Associated Press is reporting that the U.S. military is tracking a ship from North Korea that may be carrying illicit weapons, the first vessel monitored under tougher new United Nations rules meant to rein in and punish the communist government following its recent nuclear test, officials said Thursday.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said he has ordered additional protections for Hawaii just in case North Korea launches a long-range missile over the Pacific Ocean.

The suspect ship could become a test case for interception of the North's ships at sea, something the North has said it would consider an act of war."  box 

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090619/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_us_nkorea
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ER757

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:54 am

Maybe I am wrong, but my guess is that the USA would just shoot the damned thing down within minutes of launch. I'm just guessing here, but would seem logical that they would have some ABMs in South Korea. Patriots at the very least. While the idea that Kim's palace would just be a smoking hole about an hour after he launched the missle is an amusing thought, I don't think it would come to that. Although it might be a good time to take this punk down a peg or two. If they actually did send something in the general direction of a U.S. territory I seriously doubt there would be outrage or retaliation from any other country if a few US bombs fell on N.K. as a result.

Springbok747

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 am

Time to end this once and for all. It's time for Obama to show true leadership, and take out those launch sites. Blow that missile out of the sky. Enough with the UN sanctions and other crap. All the UN does is talk..and look how well that's turning out.
אני תומך בישראל

STT757

RE: N. Korea May Launch Missile At Hawaii On July

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:08 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 19):
I'm just guessing here, but would seem logical that they would have some ABMs in South Korea. Patriots at the very least

There are Patriot batteries in South Korea protecting various US Military bases, however they are not long range and will only shoot down missiles heading their way. If North Korea fires a Ballistic missile towards Hawaii it's going out over Japan and then pretty much open Ocean to Hawaii.

If they are going to shoot it down it would be from an Aegis Cruiser/Destroyer in the sea of Japan or a THAAD battery that Gates just deployed to Hawaii, THAAD is much better at targeting Ballistic missiles than Patriot.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

dahawaiian

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:15 am

The North Koreans may not be able to put a nuke warhead on any of their missiles at the moment, however they are thought to have chemical and biological weapons. Apparently the Navy sent out the X-Band Radar from Pearl Harbor a few days ago in anticipation of the North Korean test. The THAAD system on the island of Kaua'i would likely be the weapon used to shoot down any North Korean missile headed towards the Hawaiian Islands. Unlike the previous missile launches, it appears as though the US will shoot this time should the opportunity present itself.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

Rockets can be notiously fickle (recall the destruction of many rockets in the early days of USA rockets). Wouldn't it be too bad if on of the NK's rockets blew up about a kilometer up in the air and the debris landed on the 'Dear Leader' and his top military staff.

If the rocket is aimed anywhere near Alaska or Hawaii and happens anywhere near our Independence Day, you can bet we (the USA) will launch as many interceptor rockets as possible, although success would be difficult. I would think the people of the USA would call for immediate retaliation upon NK, it would dominate then news for days, every politican would call on the President for it. Such a provication would be see like 9/11 or 12/7/1941 in Pearl Harbor. It could be a disasterous situation for South Korea. I hope they don't persue this and are just trying to extort more money and food for who they want to get it in NK.

Braniff747SP

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

Within 30 minutes of these nutjob's missle launch, the missle will be in the ocean and North Korea will be no more. (If the missles get launched, of course)

-BN
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Fly2HMO

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Thread starter):
if this is true.

I'm calling BS on this.

I mean heck its also my birthday. They wouldn't dare mess with my birthday  box   Wink

Jpax

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 28):
I mean heck its also my birthday

Ah, so that's why people shoot off fireworks around here on July 4th!  biggrin 

Blackbird

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:36 am

Is North Korea really that stupid?

If they launched a nuke at us we'd blow them off the map completely (and if this administration still thinks like our old administration, might use it as an opportunity to nuke Iran...)

I doubt China or Russia would do a thing, I don't think they like North Korea that much either...

Fly2HMO

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 am

Quoting Jpax (Reply 29):
Ah, so that's why people shoot off fireworks around here on July 4th! biggrin

Duh, I'm just cool like that ya know...  sly   cool   Wink

iliribdl

Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:50 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 9):
Probably more like 1-2 hours later on July 4th....5th would be the end of the fireworks

The 5th would find North Korea off the map.

And China and Russia wouldn't dare get involved, they know damn well how strong the US is together with all the allies around the world.
delta.com

N776AU

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:41 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 7):
Why must you turn this into something about Obama???

Because he won't do shit about it...
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

Revelation

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:59 am

Maybe we should fire a "test" SLBM that will detonate over the Dear Leader's house containing a bunch of white phosphous and a bunch of pamphlets saying next time this will be a multi-megaton warhead.

Unfortunately LM would want $2B or so to figure out how to do that, and that nut-job running NK would decide that WWIII has arrived.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

baroque

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:46 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
If North Korea fires a missile at Hawaii on July 4, we'll know that the real fireworks will be in Pyongyang on July 5.

Stick with your dates D L X. A bit of a worry that some have not worked out that July 4 in Hawaii IS July 5 in N Korea, well for most of the day.

I think the Chinese might be asking them just how interesting a set of times they wish to "live" in.

In a way, this has been inevitable since the N Koreans were able to build up such a huge set of artillery along the border, in particular within range of Seoul. There is no way that S Korea will not suffer badly in any exchange even if N Korea suffers a great deal worse.

The chances of a problem for residents of Seoul are a great deal higher than for those of Honolulu, even aside from the chances of them hitting H being not all that high.

iowaman

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:46 am

IF they did have a nuclear warhead someday and launched it at Hawaii, what would be the ramifications of nuclear radiation if the U.S. shot it down over the ocean?

[Edited 2009-06-18 23:48:36]

baroque

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:57 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 36):
IF they did have a nuclear warhead someday and launched it at Hawaii, what would be the ramifications of nuclear radiation if the U.S. shot it down over the ocean?

Are you "planning" on having it detonate successfully or not?

1. If it detonates, about the same as early Bikini tests.

2. If it is does not detonate and it is a plutonium weapon, a small toxic plume somewhere but probably in deep Pacific waters. If it was a uranium bomb (less likely it seems) souvenir paper weights if you can find them???

MIAspotter

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 am

I dunno what to say about this, I find hard to believe anything that comes out of NK, I don't think they have the capacity to launch a missile that far.

But if they do.... then they will get into some big deep shit.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

OA260

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:44 am

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 32):
And China and Russia wouldn't dare get involved, they know damn well how strong the US is together with all the allies around the world.

Well I dont think Russia actually would do anything even if they wanted to . As for US and their allies , I dont think the allies would be too interested in getting involved either. It would be America on its own.

Danfearn77

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 20):

I agree. Kim is doing this to buy time whilst he makes his Nuclear weapons. The more he spouts off about launching missiles, the more time he has to build a proper weapon.

Like you say, lets do something about it. I can see in a few years or so this long range missile or even nuclear weapon will come from no where, and land on the US, and it'd be too late then.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

cpd

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:14 am

North Korea should be careful what it wishes for.

The response to anything like this would be overwhelming and permanent. My guess is that China wouldn't oppose it - since North Korea is in such bad position at the moment. It has few or no friends.

Danfearn77

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:47 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 41):

I honestly dont know what he is smoking. He must know that as soon as NK launch a rocket, he is toast. Him, his administration and the infrastructure would be gone in the blink of an eye.

Zentraedi

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:55 am

Well, it's clear that everyone believes the NK regime would be gone, but exactly what form would retaliation take? What would be the goals? What exactly would be targeted? Would the US go after large civilian areas? Just military installations? Is the goal to completely wipe everything out or make it suitable for occupation?

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 26):
Within 30 minutes of these nutjob's missle launch, the missle will be in the ocean and North Korea will be no more. (If the missles get launched, of course)

I read somewhere that the said NK missile has a range of 4000 miles. I think Hawaii is within a much further away distance than that from NK if I am rigtht, more like 4500 miles so I doubt the NK missiles would reach target even without interception.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

cpd

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:19 am

Retaliation: Overwhelming and utterly complete.

Goals: Total destruction of the regime, military assets, with secondary goal of convincing the population that "dear leader" can not help them.

Targets: Obviously any missile sites, air bases and the front line for the DMZ will need constant patrols to ensure it is not breached.

Maybe it might be Hiroshima and Nagasaki again. I hope it won't be - but honestly, not much is off the table.

[Edited 2009-06-19 02:20:01]

Danfearn77

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 44):
I read somewhere that the said NK missile has a range of 4000 miles. I think Hawaii is within a much further away distance than that from NK if I am rigtht, more like 4500 miles so I doubt the NK missiles would reach target even without interception.

True, but its the fact he is aiming it at Hawaii too. Just because it doesnt reach its still an act of war.

Zentraedi

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:28 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 45):
Retaliation: Overwhelming and utterly complete.

So you're saying Pyongyang would be completely flattened?

Quoting Cpd (Reply 45):
Goals: Total destruction of the regime, military assets, with secondary goal of convincing the population that "dear leader" can not help them.

If it is "utterly complete", who will be around?

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 am

This is just about the singularly most upsetting thing I have ever watched. If you think NK is any threat or are in any doubt about the "normal " (non military) people of NK please watch. . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...children+of+the+secret+state&hl=en

Sad  Angry  Sad
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

cpd

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 48):
This is just about the singularly most upsetting thing I have ever watched. If you think NK is any threat or are in any doubt about the "normal " (non military) people of NK please watch. . .

The regime in North Korea must be removed, we know that.

It's just a matter of how determined the army is to fight - and if the leader were gone, would they simply give up?

us330

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 pm

From a strategic standpoint, this move is not one of Pyongyang's better moves--they will have given the U.S. a valid reason for going in and taking out the nutjobs running that regime, and any country within missile range of NK would almost assuredly (China might be the only exception) provide financial and military backing for that operation.

There would be almost unanimous international support for such an operation, even by the notoriously weak U.N.

And I am only assuming that the missile doesn't hit anybody and cause any damage. God forbid it strikes one of the Hawaiian islands and kills people....

Rj111

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm

There's no way NK are going to launch a missile at Hawaii.

So let's stop salivating at the thought of the US flexing it's military muscles.

[Edited 2009-06-19 06:15:09]

Stretch 8

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:12 pm

In the event of such a launch, the complete desctruction of the North Korean nuclear and missle capability is an option that must be considered. Enough of these motherfuckers.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!