EasternSon
Topic Author

Any DeadHeads On Anet?

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Hey Everybody,

Sitting here listening to the iPod at work, and the shuffle function seems to really like the Grateful Dead today. One of my coworkers, a young lady of 24, asked "what the hell" I was listening to.

I'm only 32, and only got to see the Dead once in concert. Even in school when they were still touring, I was one of very few of my friends who listened to them.

Are people out there still listening to the Dead?
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Superfly

RE: Any DeadHeads On Anet?

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:40 am

Quoting EasternSon (Thread starter):
Are people out there still listening to the Dead?

Come here to San Francisco. Lots of DeadHeads here and throughout northern California.
There were plenty of teenage Deadheads in the 1990s. I took them for granted and kept putting off seeing them in concert. Then finally I bought a ticket to see them in summer 1995. Jerry Garcia died just two weeks before I was to see them.
I did listen to his Memorial service from my bedroom. I was living just two blocks from Golden Gate Park and heard it all live.

My favorite Grateful Dead album is 'Shakedown Street'.
That was the Grateful Dead's contribution to disco.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

EasternSon
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks for not letting my post die a painful death, Superfly.

Yes, I imagine there would be lots of DeadHeads in Norther Cali. I've run into quite a few over the past few years. But, apparently, not many on A.net!

I lucked out - I saw the a show in 1994, almost exactly a year before Jerry died. Sorry you never caught them.

Shakedown Street is a solid album. Good for listening to at high volume outside at a party.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Flighty

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:14 pm

If you haven't, check this person's blog. It is a great resource.

http://deadlistening.blogspot.com/

Superfly

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 2):
Thanks for not letting my post die a painful death, Superfly.

No problem.  Smile

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 2):
Yes, I imagine there would be lots of DeadHeads in Norther Cali. I've run into quite a few over the past few years. But, apparently, not many on A.net!

The Deadhead types aren't in to aircraft and other cool stuff that goes really fast.
Bring back the Concorde

JeffSFO

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Not a Deadhead but I do remember listening to them back in college and getting a good laugh at this commercial with a Deadhead friend of mine: