lincoln

URGENT: PHL To Downtown PHL

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 am

So I'm going to be seeing Spring Awakening [for the 4th time] in Downtown Philidelphia (the Kimmel Center) on Sunday.

Originally, I had planned on driving out there (about 7 hours each way from Cleveland), especially because airfares looked a bit high for my "as cheap as possible" budget for my adventure. Spend Saturday as a travel/do the tourist thing day, see the show sunday, then turn around and drive back being back in Cleveland by about 11:00 PM

In looking at it I can fly to PHL on Saturday, return on Sunday for about $194 -- my only concern is that the return flight is a 5:10 departure from Philadelphia.

The show starts at 1:00 PM and has a 2:15 runtime (so figure over by 3:30)... Is it possible to get from downtown to the airport and make a 5:10 flight? If so, mass transit? Taxi? Specifics?

Assistance is greatly appreciated -- I'd rather not book it until I know it's possible (and won't be a $100 cab fare) !

Thanks,

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

staralliance38

RE: URGENT: PHL To Downtown PHL

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:11 am

One word: SEPTA  Smile. It's the light-rail system there. From PHL, brings you to the Amtrak station and Downtown. I've always watned to try SEPTA lol  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

EASTERN

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:14 am

Try checking the SEPTA timetables. SEPTA runs pretty frequently between 30th street station and PHL. It's not terribly far. I believe there is a flat rate of a little less than $30 between PHL and downtown, but you may also want to check the taxi website about that.
P from NYC

pilotboi

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:26 am

Quoting EASTERN (Reply 2):
I believe there is a flat rate of a little less than $30 between PHL and downtown

$30?!?!

The most you can ever pay on the SEPTA Regional Rail for one-day one-way is $18. And that's Zone 6, on board (not advance sale). The airport is in zone 5. It's $6 if bought at the station. Or $7 if paid on board. That's at any hour, as there is no off-peak hours for the R1.

Take the R1. http://www.septa.com/maps/click_map.html

wagz

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 am

Don't count on using SEPTA for that tight of a connection. The Kimmel Center is at least a 15 minute walk to get to any of the Center City train stations. The R1 Train to the airport runs every 30 minutes, so if you've just missed one, that's going to hurt your travel time majorly. Travel time from Suburban Station to the Airport is about 25 to 30 minutes.

Its worth noting that going from the Kimmel Center to the Center City rail stations you must travel northbound on Broad Street which is taking you farther away from the airport (although not a large distance). Also, your R1 train will be arriving from either Warminster or West Trenton before transiting Center City to the airport. Both of those points are 45 minutes to an hour away, and although its not busy on Sundays, the train could be delayed enroute to Center City for any number of reasons, thus delaying your ride to the airport.

A cab from the Kimmel Center would be much faster. That shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
I think Big Foot is blurry, Its not the photographers fault. Theres a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside

phlstudent

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 am

The flat rate for the taxis I believe is $27.50, but this was before the rise in fuel prices, so It is not much more.

The R1 runs every half hour on the 00 and 30 from suburban station (15th and market) and I think at the 05 and 35 or 07 and 37 from 30th street station. The trip takes about 30+ minutes on the R1 from suburban

pliersinsight

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 am

Based on a few years of Philly living, and the still regular philly visits, (I was just back two weeks ago) I'd go with the cab. Think of the cost of being late and missing the flight versus saving a few bucks on the R1 SEPTA. Is $20 worth risking missing your flight?

TonyBurr

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 am

SEPTA is not the most reliable. Even on weekdays when I am taking the train (SEPTA) from home, connecting to the airport, I always take the train before the one which I need to take, just to be sure. SEPTA has a reduced schedule on Sunday. Check the cab.

EASTERN

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:04 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 3):
$30?!?!

The most you can ever pay on the SEPTA Regional Rail for one-day one-way is $18. And that's Zone 6, on board (not advance sale). The airport is in zone 5. It's $6 if bought at the station. Or $7 if paid on board. That's at any hour, as there is no off-peak hours for the R1.

Take the R1. http://www.septa.com/maps/click_map.html

Should have been more clear. The about $30 price I quoted was for taxis. Lack of sleep.  Wink
P from NYC

lincoln

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:08 am

Thanks for all of the (quick!) responses... I think I'm going to try SEPTA from the airport to the hotel on Saturday (where time is essentially no object) and then do the cab thing on Sunday (I'm going to need to pick my stuff up from the hotel [the DoubleTree downtown] as well...)

What's the taxi scene in Philly? Is it like NY where you can't go 10 feet without finding one, or is it like Cleveland where unless you've called for one you'll never find one -- and even sometimes when you have called for one...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

OP3000

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:23 am

With SEPTA you'd save $15-17, but it would take you a total of an extra 20 minutes if all goes right. If time permits, (ie if you leave the Kimmel Center by 3:10PM or 3:15PM max), you can take a cab to Suburban station which will run you about $5-6. Add that to $7 for the one-way on the R1 to the airport, and that would run you $12-13. The cab takes 5 minutes from Kimmel Center to Suburban, and the train leaving at 3:30PM will get you there by 3:50-3:55.

The taxi from anywhere in center city to the airport is a flat rate of $28.50 (IIRC), and takes 15-20 minutes.

If you get to the station and for some reason the R1 train is running on a long delay, it will say so on the screens (#of minutes late) and you can then always catch a cab to the airport (there are always plenty outside the station).

OP3000

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:29 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):

What's the taxi scene in Philly? Is it like NY where you can't go 10 feet without finding one, or is it like Cleveland where unless you've called for one you'll never find one -- and even sometimes when you have called for one...

In Center City its exactly like NY, even easier I find.

us330

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:09 pm

This won't help you, but it is a anecdote from my experience with going from PHL to downtown PHL.
I was visiting my cousin at Penn, and I decided to take a cab from the airport to the university (it was dark out, and I really didn't feel like screwing around with public transport). We got stuck in a major traffic jam on I-76, or whatever the main road is going into the city. Of course, my cell phone, for some reason was on silent mode. So while my mother and cousin knew I had landed, 30-45 minutes later they had no idea where I was.
I get out of the cab and my cousin tells me I need to call my mom right away. It turns out I had 10 missed calls, and my family thought that I had been kidnapped.
Only in Philly....

BlueElephant

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
Assistance is greatly appreciated -- I'd rather not book it until I know it's possible (and won't be a $100 cab fare

Cab it.

No question...I'd actually figure you get out by 4pm....the Cab will take you 20 minutes...it'll be 30 bucks (it's already a 20 minute walk to the City Center Station, plus 7 dollars)

Plus...there's a very big risk with the trains esp. on Sundays.

taking a Taxi will be a straight shot, word of advise....get out a little early, and make a run for it.

good thing is in Philly you can pay be Credit card for the taxis.

lincoln

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 13):
I'd actually figure you get out by 4pm....

1:00 PM showtime, 2:15 runtime including intermission says I "should" be able to run for it by 3:15, add a 5 minute late start + a 5 minute slip on intermission pushes me to 3:25.

No problem with making a run for it, but getting out early won't be possible -- I snagged an on-stage seat [actually, the only reason I'm going all the way to Philidelpha to see this show again]

Lincoln

Soku39

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Honestly you're better off driving... PHL is a joke in summer, I can almost guarentee you'll spend 3 hrs on the ground at number 68 for takeoff, for the 45 minute flight.
The Ohio Player

steeler83

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Thread starter):
If so, mass transit?

Several on here have already beat me to it. I still think SEPTA is your best bet. You can take the R1 commuter train right from the Airport terminal right to Suburban Station right underneath JFK Blvd. You can either walk from JFK Blvd down Broad St to the Kimmel Center, or you can transfer to the BSS Line and take that from Suburban Station to the next station towards the Stadium complex. I think the next station down is Chestnut/Walnut, which I think puts you a block or so from the Kimmel Center.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PHLBOS

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 16):
I still think SEPTA is your best bet.

Given the time-sensitive nature regarding his return itinerary on Sunday; SEPTA's not going to help him and that regard... especially if the train(s) are running late. See Joe's (Wagz) earlier post (reposted below)... and this is coming from someone who used to work for SEPTA:

Quoting Wagz (Reply 4):
Don't count on using SEPTA for that tight of a connection. The Kimmel Center is at least a 15 minute walk to get to any of the Center City train stations. The R1 Train to the airport runs every 30 minutes, so if you've just missed one, that's going to hurt your travel time majorly. Travel time from Suburban Station to the Airport is about 25 to 30 minutes.

Its worth noting that going from the Kimmel Center to the Center City rail stations you must travel northbound on Broad Street which is taking you farther away from the airport (although not a large distance). Also, your R1 train will be arriving from either Warminster or West Trenton before transiting Center City to the airport. Both of those points are 45 minutes to an hour away, and although its not busy on Sundays, the train could be delayed enroute to Center City for any number of reasons, thus delaying your ride to the airport.

A cab from the Kimmel Center would be much faster. That shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Lincoln can try the SEPTA experience from the airport TO Center City because things at that point (according to his itinerary) aren't as time-sensitive.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

hangarrat

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 am

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 1):
It's the light-rail system there.

SEPTA, the regional rail at least, is good old fashioned heavy rail -- the legacy of the Pennsylvania and Reading railroads.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 9):

There's no problem finding a cab in Center City.

I'd take the train in and get a cab out. Given how tight your schedule is, I wouldn't risk it. People love to hate on SEPTA, and I don't think it's that bad, but a 20 minute delay could really mess you up.
Spell check is a false dog

jm017

Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:09 am

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 18):
I'd take the train in and get a cab out. Given how tight your schedule is, I wouldn't risk it. People love to hate on SEPTA, and I don't think it's that bad, but a 20 minute delay could really mess you up.

SEPTA is significantly better these days than it was when I was in there in the late 80s. But for the return trip, I agree: it's risky to take SEPTA with such a tight timeline. From the Kimmel center it's a a bit of a walk to Suburban Station. And if he's taking US Airways, the line for security will be considerable....
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

lincoln

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 19):
And if he's taking US Airways, the line for security will be considerable....

Oh, God no  Smile

Continental (operated by Chaquata) both ways -- but since this is my first set of CHQ flights and I have never heard anything that exactly inspires confidence in the operation I'm not sure how much better it is.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to reply... I roll in around 9:57 AM on CO 5803 and the rest will happen as it happens  Smile

My "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" adventure -- and the least amount of pre-planning/most spur of the moment that I've ever put into a leasiure trip.

lincoln

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:07 pm

So I have landed in Pittsburgh... SEPTA was fun, gruff exterior but generally friendly/helpful folks. Didn't seem esepecially fast, but it didn't seem especially slow either -- definately doing a taxi on the way back.

My Cell phone is behaving strangely, but this is a VACATION so I don't care terribly  Smile

Off to do touristy things now, thanks again to everyone who offered advice/insight.

steeler83

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 21):
So I have landed in Pittsburgh...

Oh... THAT part of the state, eh?

Have you been to that jungle yet? Should you be in need of any navigation or a list of points of interest. I'd be glad to be of assistance!  Smile

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 21):
SEPTA was fun, gruff exterior but generally friendly/helpful folks. Didn't seem esepecially fast, but it didn't seem especially slow either -- definately doing a taxi on the way back.

Hmm ok.

You do not want to put urself at the mercy of SEPTA during severe weather tho! I tried that one day on my way home from work last summer at the City of Philadelphia, and it stormed like you wouldn't believe! The entire regional rail network was delayed 1-2 hours! Suburban Station looked like Tokyo! My neighbor and I caught a bus from City Hall up to King of Prussia Mall, and her husband drove us back home. That still took us about an hour and a half...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

lincoln

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
Oh... THAT part of the state, eh?

Ugh... Shows what gettinng up at 6:00 in the morning and not consuming any caffene while posting from a mobile device does to you.

I landed in PHILADELPHIA....

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
Suburban Station

Suburban Station was paractically deserted when I rolled through there... really not many people at all except for a small village of homeless people as I left the station (what a great welcome to the city!)

I don't get, though, why it's called Suburban Station when it's definately not in the suburbs...

I have returned to Cleveland... the trip was awesome, I wish I had a little bit more time. Saw the show I came to see twice (once as an audience member in the "normal seats", once as an audience member on stage, did the constitution center, liberty bell, mint (but no independence hall -- no tickets available  Sad ) then this morning walked to Rittenhouse Square, to Ben Franklin Avenue and spent a very short time at the Musuem of Art before I had to turn around and head back for the show... Saw the show, ran [literally] across the street to the hotel, grabbed my bags, had a taxi hailed and was off to the airport. (And we had no delay/wait in line for takeoff)

Philly is a very walkable city, and the beggars are very passive

Thanks again for all of the help!

Lincoln

hangarrat

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 23):
and the beggars are very passive

LOL

That's going to be the tag line for the new tourism campaign.

Seriously though, the homeless in Philly are hidden in plain sight most of the time. It's only when there's no one else in the stations that you really notice them.

Glad you liked Philly.

wagz

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 23):
Suburban Station was paractically deserted when I rolled through there... really not many people at all except for a small village of homeless people as I left the station (what a great welcome to the city!)

I don't get, though, why it's called Suburban Station when it's definately not in the suburbs...

Its amazing how deserted Suburban is on weekends, especially Sundays. Being that its smack dab in the middle of the business district, its primary source of passengers by a wide margin are 9-5 commuters. Market East Station a few blocks over sits right at the Gallery Mall and the Convention Center, and is closer to the historic areas. Its also pretty much exactly the same distance from Broad Street as Suburban is so it gets all the traffic on weekends. Suburban at 5PM on a weekday is a hive of activity, with 6 and 7 car trains going from empty to full in a matter of 2 minutes.

The name incidentally is what the Pennsylvania Railroad came up with for the station back in the 1930s. At that time it was a stub-end station. I believe the thinking was that it fed all the commuters out to the suburbs (which it does), hence the name.
I think Big Foot is blurry, Its not the photographers fault. Theres a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside

PHLBOS

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Quoting Wagz (Reply 25):
The name incidentally is what the Pennsylvania Railroad came up with for the station back in the 1930s. At that time it was a stub-end station. I believe the thinking was that it fed all the commuters out to the suburbs (which it does), hence the name.

IIRC, Suburban Station has also been called (not sure if it was ever officially renamed) either Penn Center and/or Penn Center Suburban Station. Not sure if those particular designations came about in the wake of the Center City Commuter Tunnel linking the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads (think Monoploy Board) opening 25 years ago.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

steeler83

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Quoting Wagz (Reply 25):

Its amazing how deserted Suburban is on weekends, especially Sundays. Being that its smack dab in the middle of the business district, its primary source of passengers by a wide margin are 9-5 commuters.

I was one of those 9-5 commuters last year, and if you like Times Square/Tokyo-esque crowds, try hanging out there between 7 and 9 am or 4 and 6 in the evenings Mon-Fri!! The crowds are impressive! People running everywhere to be on time either to their jobs or to the trains so that they're on time to their jobs!  Smile

I saw nothing like this when living in Pittsburgh, that's for sure! Sure, every now and then the "T" would get jammed, but there is no comparison with this city!! And after living in the suburb and working in (for) the city, I officially love city life!

Quoting Wagz (Reply 25):
Market East Station a few blocks over sits right at the Gallery Mall and the Convention Center, and is closer to the historic areas. Its also pretty much exactly the same distance from Broad Street as Suburban is so it gets all the traffic on weekends.

Yep, and I believe the rail line is located directly beneath JFK Blvd. I've been to Market East station. The station is nice, but the Gallery at Market East is really nothing special. I wish the mall was better; served a better clientelle...

Quoting Wagz (Reply 25):

IIRC, Suburban Station was actually a main train station just before 30th Street Station opened. Wasn't the Reading Terminal also a really old RR station from around that same time? I guess Philly had 2 railroad stations, and I suppose the Reading Terminal served the Reading Railroad, while Suburban Station served the Pennsylvania RR. There is a whole story posted on the Arch St. side of the Suburban Station wall I believe. I found myself reading it one time last year while waiting for an afternoon train back to Exton. I found it rather informative. According to that story, SEPTA handles over 400,000 transit riders at Suburban Station. Quite remarkable!

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
IIRC, Suburban Station has also been called (not sure if it was ever officially renamed) either Penn Center and/or Penn Center Suburban Station.

It is sometimes referred to as Penn Center Suburban Station. I've heard some of the conductors refer to it as such last summer.

PHLBOS

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 27):
Wasn't the Reading Terminal also a really old RR station from around that same time?

Before the Center City Rail Tunnel/Connection, the Reading Railroad lines ended at what is know known as the Reading Terminal Market. The Market East Station was indeed a component of the CC Rail Tunnel Connection.

Near 9th & Spring Garden Streets, one will see the abandoned railroad trestle that once served as the mainline Reading RR corridor.

steeler83

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
Near 9th & Spring Garden Streets, one will see the abandoned railroad trestle that once served as the mainline Reading RR corridor.

I have seen that trestle before and often wondered what that was. I actually found out that it was part of the abandoned Reading Railroad line during my GIS internship last summer. part of my task last summer involved the use of ortho (aerial photography) files in addition to streets layers when updating the street sweeping routes, snow sweeping boundaries and other tasks. I think the photo file was put together in 2007.

I have always wondered this: are they doing construction in the tunnels near/west of the Suburban Station stop, between the station and the western bore?

PHLBOS

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 29):
I have always wondered this: are they doing construction in the tunnels near/west of the Suburban Station stop, between the station and the western bore?

I know that there was construction at the concourse level adjacent to Suburban Station and there presently is construction taking place along JFK Blvd. (a PennDOT job).

Personally, I am unaware of any construction-related activities taking place in the train tunnels themselves.

steeler83

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 30):
I know that there was construction at the concourse level adjacent to Suburban Station and there presently is construction taking place along JFK Blvd. (a PennDOT job).

That looks like a huge mess! I feel sorry for anyone trying to get from Center City to the Schuylkill via JFK blvd! Oh wait, I've done that before, and I've taken a bus that way. Can you say headache?

Actually, a confusing design plus anything pertaining to PennDOT -- make that a DOUBLE headache!!

I saw they completely redone the concourse level of the station, and I think they're still working on parts of it, or they're at least going to. It looks like they want to put in more retail space.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 30):
I am unaware of any construction-related activities taking place in the train tunnels themselves.

Yeah, I guess there isn't anything going on down there. I guess the platforms beyond Section A down there are just blocked off. It's kind of a shame that the overall station is not very attractive looking, at least not as much as Market East or 30th Street. 30th Street is elevated anyway, so I guess you can't compare the canopies to the underground stations... I guess aesthetics are somewhat a challenge when there are 8 tracks down there...

7324ever

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:00 pm

I say just avoid the hardcore ghetto as much as possible and PHL is an amazing airport!
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

hangarrat

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

The construction on JFK Blvd is actually two projects. PennDOT just rebuilt the JFK bridge over the Schuylkill. And PECO just wrapped up a major renovation of its HQ between JFK and Market.

There has also been some construction going on at the west end of Suburban Station related to the Comcast Center.

You could write a book about Market East and Suburban stations and the fight it took to build the Center City Commuter Tunnel. Market East is tacked on to the Gallery, which was seen in the 70s as the savior of Philadelphia's downtown shopping district. Although it's strictly a low end mall, it has brought a lot of life back to East Market Street. The area caters to the market, which consists of poorer urban residents who use transit to get to the shops. The high end stores are all west of Broad and south of JFK close to most of the high rent office buildings and expensive residential areas like Rittenhouse Square.

Suburban Station was just what its name describes, the commuter counterpart to the Pennsylvania Railroad's regional rail station at 30th Street. Reading Terminal was the Reading Railroad station.

When SEPTA took over the commuter operations of both railroads in the early 80s, they conceived the center city commuter tunnel as a way to unify the two systems.

steeler83

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:16 am

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 33):

Thanks for the post, that was rather informative! I guess you could say that Liberty Place is the flagship of the high-end retailors, more or less? I've been inside of that. Nice...  Smile

It is a shame about the Gallery being a low-end retailor, but sure, given the market it would have been rather dumb to put Lord & Tailor, Swarovski, etc in there.

What would be your opinion of Olde City? Is that a better neighborhood? It's only blocks from the Market East station/Gallery. It would be nice if all of Center City could be a nicer neighborhood.

hangarrat

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 34):
It is a shame about the Gallery being a low-end retailor

There's nothing wrong with it. You just won't find anything there that you can't find in an average suburban mall. Outside on Market Street, you find discount clothing stores, sneaker shops and independent electronics stores.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 34):
What would be your opinion of Olde City? Is that a better neighborhood?

Old City (there is no 'e') is kind of tourist driven, but it's also where the college kids, recent former college kids, wanna be rappers and gangstas and everyone else who parties too hard hangs out. There are tons of bars, some of which are very good, and tons of restaurants, most of which are worthless. On the north side of Market, there are tons of little art galleries.

Again, I don't think there are any bad parts of center city. Certainly there are places you don't want to walk around alone after midnight, but that's true with any city.

Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods, most of which you don't need to know anything about. There are also a ton of very interesting neighborhoods and districts and each has its own distinct character.

In addition to Old City's combination of history and nightlife, you have Rittenhouse Square, Chinatown, jewelers row, fabric row, the Gayborhood, Fitler Square, Northern Liberties, Fairmount, South Street.

Each has its own draw. Some are huge. Others only a couple of blocks. Some parts of center city just have no draw whatsoever. It's really a mixed bag.