NAV20
Topic Author

Cricket - The Ashes Test Series

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Anyone care to make any predictions?

Me, I think (and hope) that it will be a 'close-run thing.' Australia have had bad luck with Lee being out through injury - and the England selectors, in my view, have taken a big gamble by leaving out Harmison. Maddening as his moodiness can be, he remains the fastest and most 'unsettling' bowler they have.

[Edited 2009-07-07 05:14:49]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

NAV20
Topic Author

RE: Cricket - The Ashes Test Series

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 am

Maybe too late for predictions now - England won the toss and will bat, and play both spinners, Swann and Panesar. Australia will also play a spinner, Hauritz, and (incredibly in my view) will play Ben Hilfenhuas and not Stuart Clarke.

Weather is fine, warm and sunny. But a lot of water has been put on the pitch over the last few days.

Interesting, watching the toss, that both captains gave the impression of having made a couple of key team decisions on how it turned out. The Cardiff pitch is reckoned likely to turn from late on Day Two.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

CPH-R

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:35 am

Not too sure to be honest, both teams have had decent preparations against sides of varying qualities (let's face it, Windies weren't exactly a menace back in May, at least not compared to South Africa in South Africa.).

I'm streaming the video feed from Sky & listening in on TMS, which is my preferred way to follow cricket.

.. and then the first wicket fell Big grin

gkirk

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:41 am

Australia to win Big grin

Looks absolutely spot on in HD  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Engalnd 3 for 97 at lunch. Australia have the edge so far.

aussie18
Crew

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Good to see Johnson Bowling improve in last few overs once he got the wicket,If we get Pietersen within an hr after lunch than we should be able to roll them pretty quickly after that If Hauritz bowls well to tie one end up,Good first session.

TSV

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Thread starter):
Anyone care to make any predictions?

Drawn series.

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 4):
Australia have the edge so far.

Maybe just. If Pietersen and Collinwood get away in this next session they could set the Poms up nicely if they can get 450 on the board in the First Innings. Should make for an interesting Test if they do.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

imiakhtar

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Australia to win

Boo! At least we have the Welsh on our side.  Big grin

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 4):
Engalnd 3 for 97 at lunch. Australia have the edge so far.

Aye. Agreed. Aus have done well to have 3 down before lunch. Bopara was deceived by an excellent slower bowl by Johnson.

Quoting Tsv (Reply 6):
If Pietersen and Collinwood get away in this next session they could set the Poms up nicely if they can get 450 on the board in the First Innings.

At this point, I think anything 350+ in the first innings will be a good score. The pitch thus far hasn't done much, but it seems to be favouring the bowlers more the batsmen.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

TSV

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:52 pm

As much as it is good to see a new venue being used the capacity (15 000?) of this one is a bit of a joke for such an important match and series.

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Silly 'trend analysis' thing of mine, guys. But maybe interesting.......

The day is precisely half-over. England 3/143, 45 overs bowled, the ball half worn-out, the light past its peak, and the bowlers approaching the 12-over mark, and already feeling a bit tired.........

Double all that (short of the last few overs with a new ball producing a miracle spell from someone) and you get England finishing the day on 6/286.............

Pretty chancy on the face of it - my two cricket-playing sons used to hate that theory. But mainly because it tended to work out pretty close to right on many occasions........  Smile

Just meant in fun....  Smile

CPH-R

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 9):
Double all that (short of the last few overs with a new ball producing a miracle spell from someone) and you get England finishing the day on 6/286.............

Sounds like you might be spot on. KP out at 241/5 and Flintoff coming in to bat. Depending on how he does, I could see England lose another wicket for 25 runs - and then we're into the tail with a new ball available tomorrow morning. Australia to bat around lunch tomorrow?

TSV

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:50 pm

300 up and still only 5 down. Looks like what I said above might be more than possible.

CPH-R

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

327/6 - only 60 more runs than I thought  Silly

NAV20
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 10):
Depending on how he does, I could see England lose another wicket for 25 runs - and then we're into the tail with a new ball available tomorrow morning.

The new ball is, at the option of the fielding captain, available after the 80th. over - and was, in this case, taken.

Beginning to think in terms of a totally-different 'trend line' - the remaining length of Ponting's fingernails......  Smile

Though, judging by the TV pictures in the last few minutes of the day's play, there may not be enough of them left to permit accurate measurement.......

Definitely England's day in the end.

CPH-R

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 13):
e new ball is, at the option of the fielding captain, available after the 80th. over - and was, in this case, taken.

Yeah, I had my timing wrong and didn't think they'd manage to get to 80 overs before the scheduled close of play.

Not that I think it would have mattered too much if they got the new ball today or tomorrow, the way Flintoff and Prior went about attacking it.

davehammer

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:41 pm

I'd say its very even at the moment. I'd expect us to get about up to 360 tomorrow. I think that'll be a decent score and then we'll see what happens. One things for sure I wouldn't like to be batting last on that pitch, it already looks like a day 3/4 pitch!

scbriml

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 13):
Definitely England's day in the end.

Don't necessarily agree, NAV20. I think Australia will be the happier of the two teams, given the way the day developed. At tea I'd say England were ahead, but 4 wickets in the last session was a bit of a blow, especially losing Flintoff and Prior. With only the bowlers left, England could easily be all out inside three overs in the morning.

Having said that, I suspect if you'd offered Straus 336-7 at the toss, he'd have taken your hand off. From this position, I think anything over 360 would be a bonus for England, anything less than 350 would leave Australia feeling like they'd turned things round given the day-one tea score.

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 15):
I'd say its very even at the moment.

I think so, could still easily go either way. For my money, Australia slightly happier than England.

It's a little frustrating that everyone "got in" but nobody went on to make a significant score. KP will be hammered for getting out the way he did (again), even if it looks like he'll be top scorer (again). No single major score suggests that there's something in the pitch for the bowlers, so I think we'll have to wait and see how England bowl.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 am

Sure Scrimbl, neither captain got what he wanted. Strauss would have been hoping to finish the day with enough wickets in hand to pile on 600 or so and not have to bat again; and Ponting to get England out for 250 or less.

One thing though, for once it's not a case of 'only the bowlers to come'; Swann and Broad can both bat very competently. So can the Aussie bowlers, especially Johnson.

As so often in cricket, for both teams it 'depends on what happens tomorrow'..................

Yellowstone

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:48 am

I don't really know much at all about cricket, but it seems to me that if you're scoring 500+ runs in a game they might want to revise the rules to help the defensive team out a bit. Maybe put a couple of crocodiles in the middle of the pitch or something.  Big grin
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

baroque

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 am

How many qualify for soft or even self dismissal? Certainly KP, possibly also Cook, Strauss and Bopara. Interesting that the first two dismissals got as close as you could expect to the way Hughes departed against Grievious.

The two most impressive deliveries of the day were from Siddle to dismiss Freddy and Prior. Prior was most impressive.

Do you think KP might have been told to give his wicket to Hauritz to ensure that H keeps his place for the later tests.  duck 

Were those leg side wide deliveries an indication of swing or a touch of the Harmies?

How lucky you guys in the UK are not to have Mathews back in the central missionary position. But Macgiller did a fairish job. Nassar is pretty good and amazingly enough so is Both.

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 am

Well now - England all out for 435.

What's more, the ball seemed to be turning square this morning - not just for the Aussie spinner, Hauritz, but even for people like Johnson when they bowled 'cutters.'

Ponting has often had incredibly-good luck with tosses. Can't help thinking that he wishes that that luck had stuck around this time, and he'd won this one.......

[Edited 2009-07-09 04:27:52]

TSV

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 20):
Well now - England all out for 435.

Quoting Tsv (Reply 6):
set the Poms up nicely if they can get 450 on the board in the First Innings.

And for my next prediction ...

Dunno.

A draw looks the most likely result unless Australia can post 600 odd in their First Innings. Otherwise I would have at a guess that the Poms are in with the best chance of a win particularly if it really starts turning.

Where the hell is Banco these days? He would have a pretty good idea of how it will pan out.

TSV

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Username: Banco

Last post: 11 months ago (July 26, 2008)

Total Nr of posts: 14752

Obviously he has a life now.

NAV20
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 am

Comprehensively Australia's day........

The England players are saying that the ball didn't swing at ALL, and didn't turn much either.

I'll bet the selectors are wishing they'd picked Harmison instead of Panesar?

CPH-R

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 pm

We're siiiinging in the raaaainn..  Yeah sure

I think it's about safe to mark this down as a draw. The pitch isn't doing much, the ball even less, and the only way I can see anything happen is if we manage to get a few overs in after this rain break, and the rain break having done something to the pitch.

Two days to complete 2½ innings would only really be realistic, if England decides to declare and set a "sporting" target for Australia to chase. And this being the first game of the Ashes and England probably still having the last Ashes series in mind, I can't see that happening.

BatBowlField

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Given the current state (end of day 4), I think Australia will be able to bowl England out in a day. Although I do have to admit that the wicket of Bopara in the second innings was pure luck. Now if the rains can stay away...

NAV20
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:55 am

Australia has dominated two days straight and are well on their way to doing the same with the last one. If they win on the last day it will be a well-deserved victory.

TSV

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Last time I saw the Poms were 5 down for 90.

Too busy at the moment watching the Kraut GP with Webber getting a drive through penalty.

TSV

Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Now 6 down.

BUT

Bigger News - Webber gets his first win in Germany!

CPH-R

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:55 pm

164/7

Looks like an innings defeat for England unless something really weird happens.

scbriml

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 26):
Australia has dominated two days straight and are well on their way to doing the same with the last one. If they win on the last day it will be a well-deserved victory.

Agreed. [spoken through gritted teeth]

At first glance, England's first innings was a good score. However, our friendly, southern-hemisphere guests showed us what real batting application is all about and made 400+ look like a very ordinary score.

CPH-R

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:01 pm

My god what a thriller ending. 6 more runs to make Australia bat again, 11 overs remaining and only Monty left in the shed.

CPH-R

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:03 pm

And just as I posted that, Collingwood goes Big grin

CPH-R

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm

.. and it's a draw. Australia must feel a bit peeved, since they definantly lost a fair chunk of time to FR protestors as well as some cheap time-drawing tactics (ie. sending out the physio when neither of the batsmen had requested him and the 12th man with a pair of gloves that neither of them wanted).

Still, a thrilling ending. I wonder how it'll all end when they move to Lords  Smile

baroque

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 33):
Australia must feel a bit peeved, since they definitely lost a fair chunk of time to FR protestors as well as some cheap time-drawing tactics (ie. sending out the physio when neither of the batsmen had requested him and the 12th man with a pair of gloves that neither of them wanted).

Bit odd, but I guess they would eventually learn how to "play". Other than that, chickens, counting, hatching come to mind. I knew Monty must a been picked for something, obviously stonewalling.  cheerful 

scbriml

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm

It's a draw!

England escape by the skin of their teeth. I mean, a splendid rearguard action prevents those Antipodean chappies from inflicting defeat on our valiant heroes!

baroque

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 35):
I mean, a splendid rearguard action prevents those Antipodean chappies from inflicting defeat on our valiant heroes

Yer but yer but yer but, yous lot cheated, I mean the umps stopped giving lbws when the ball was going to go over the top of the stumps. How unfair is that. But we appreciate the leniency that Siddle was not booked on a 412 (consult Stan Freberg St G and the Dragonet if uncertain what a 412 is).
http://www.railpage.org.au/ausrail/01april/msg01155.html

scbriml

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 33):
Australia must feel a bit peeved, since they definantly lost a fair chunk of time to FR protestors as well as some cheap time-drawing tactics (ie. sending out the physio when neither of the batsmen had requested him and the 12th man with a pair of gloves that neither of them wanted).

Do you think if the situation had been reversed, as unlikely as that may be, that Australia wouldn't have done the same?

I expect Mr Grumpy will probably be criticised for batting too long.  grumpy 

baroque

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 37):
I expect Mr Grumpy will probably be criticised for batting too long

As well as for accepting a medal. Look that sort of time wasting was invented hereabouts and we do not appreciate it being hijacked for other purposes, that is purposes other than our own.

You presumably would not know, our SBS commentators (SCGMcG, Martyn and Matthews) assure us that Swann et al are terrible over appealers.  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  Pot and kettle it did rather appear.

CPH-R

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 37):
Do you think if the situation had been reversed, as unlikely as that may be, that Australia wouldn't have done the same?

They would have done the exact same thing, and then I would have said the exact same thing.

davehammer

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 pm

In my book if you cant get Monty Panesar out within 11.3 overs with him facing about half you don't deserve to win the match!

Still the Aussies were far better in every department but this sort of thing just happens in test cricket sometimes. I bet Punter is vilified for persisting with Hilfenhaus and Johnson for what was probably too long. Also Siddle is really really aggravating, I even know an Aussie that agrees!

itsonlyme

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 pm

What on earth was Marcus North doing bowling two overs at the end? Hilfenhaus was probably their best bowler, and would have been just what they needed at the end - full and straight. Im sure the Aussies will be hoping Mitchell Johnson turns up at Lords - he was average in this game.

That said, Colly was amazing, shame some of the other batsmen couldnt replicate the discipline of him, and even Flintoff, as well as the tail enders. Swann was great, took a right battering for the team! Well done to Jimmy and Monty at the end.

Who else reckons were gonna find out what kind of a captain Ponting really is? Its not too hard winning with a team of legends. No Hayden, Langer, Gilly, Warne, McGrath - i thought Ponting at times seemed to be devoid of ideas.

Wonder if Lee will be back for Lords, and who would he come in for? Would be very unfair on Siddle, Hilfenhaus or Hauritz!

Harmison in for Monty?

baroque

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 am

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 40):
In my book if you cant get Monty Panesar out within 11.3 overs with him facing about half you don't deserve to win the match!

C'mon Dave, you saw him bowling (and his throwing), he was there for his batting.  duck 

Quoting Itsonlyme (Reply 41):
What on earth was Marcus North doing bowling two overs at the end? Hilfenhaus was probably their best bowler, and would have been just what they needed at the end - full and straight. Im sure the Aussies will be hoping Mitchell Johnson turns up at Lords - he was average in this game.

Yes, but Clarke has a formidable record of stealing a few wickets most times he bowls. Hilfie, maybe, but probably easier to bamboozle either of the #10 and #11 with spin. I he had not been tried already, I would have said Katich, but maybe the slowness of the pitch did for K.

That said, Colly was amazing, shame some of the other batsmen couldnt replicate the discipline of him, and even Flintoff, as well as the tail enders.

Very true. northern grit or something. Or too stupid to notice England had lost to be less charitable. But bloody mindedness does have some value. Very tired shot that was his undoing. He was probably a bit locked into getting England ahead as that subtracted 3 overs in effect and "4" lit up in his eyes. Additionally, chasing the ball to the boundary is an excellent way to make the over last a bit longer!!

Nice boundaries past point for Jimmy BTW. Very professional.

Swann was great, took a right battering for the team!

Missed the battering, although I saw him nod one for a couple of leg byes!! But he was good, as in the first innings.

Well done to Jimmy and Monty at the end.

Yep, more or less expected of Jimmy, but a surprise from M!!!!!

Harmison in for Monty?

Yes, but the funny thing is that I would almost prefer Monty for holding out for a draw, Grievous tends to have difficulty in containing himself.

CPH-R

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:18 am

Swann was great, took a right battering for the team!

Mainly through his own batting incompetence, as he kept taking his eyes off the ball. And it set up the trap that got him out in the end.

NAV20
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 am

Well - when I predicted 'a close-run thing' I never dreamt that it would turn out that close.  

Well done England for keeping the series level - but the fact remains that they lost the initiative on Day One, and never regained it. Another turning-point, in my view, was Strauss opting for the new ball as soon as it was available, when his spinners were both doing well, as was Collingwood with his cutters.........

Still, they're unlikely to need two spinners at Lords on Thursday. I'd favour keeping Swann (provided he's not injured) and replacing Monty with a 'strike bowler' - at the moment England only have Flintoff's short spells to fill that role. Harmison would appear to be the obvious choice; or maybe Onions, 12th. man in this match.

Australia don't really need to change their lineup. After all, they dominated the match from late on Day One - from the time that Pietersen got himself out and then Flintoff also went late in the day. And Hauritz obvously 'came good.' But, if fit, Lee will obviously come into consideration instead of Siddle - no reflection on Siddle, Lee just has more pace and a lot more experience.

[Edited 2009-07-12 23:17:28]

scbriml

Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:38 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 43):
Mainly through his own batting incompetence

A little harsh I feel - the man scored 78 in the match for once out, batting at number 9. I'd call that more than a little handy!  yes 

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Wow - England 126 for none............emphatically their session..........

For my money both sides' selectors made mistakes. Iconic though he undoubtedly is, Flintoff is not fully fit........IMO Harmison would have been worth trying.

But maybe Australia made an even bigger mistake. Only four specialist bowlers, and just the three seamers.You could certainly take that sort of risk when the available bowlers included the likes of 'Lillian Thomson,' McGrath, or Warne - but none of the present four are in anything like that sort of class at this stage of their careers...........

baroque

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Seems Siddle has picked up a few tips from Grievous so his ghost lives.

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Poor Nathan Hauritz - injury clearly seen on TV, top joint of the middle finger of his bowling hand dislocated trying to catch a drive..............

CPH-R

Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Ah, Lord's, the only Test Match I've ever attended was at that ground last summer, watching Graeme Smith and Neil McKenzie batting to save the game Big grin

2 quick wickets for Australia now, will KP stem the tide or will we see a mini-collapse?