Springbok747
Topic Author

How Can I Get Rid Of An Unwanted House Guest?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 pm

I let a work colleague (well an ex-colleague as I don't work in that place anymore) stay with me for a few days. He is really not my friend, even though he considers himself to be my friend now that he has been living on my couch for a week. He said his house lease was up and that he was inbetween jobs..so he desperately needed a place to stay and asked me if he could stay for 2 days..that was it, now it has been a week since he has moved in with his stuff and my apartment is a mess. He is really filthy, has odd sleeping habits (he wont get up till 9 or 10 am and goes to bed at 2 or 3 am) and for the past few days he has even stopped washing his dishes. I am quite the opposite..I am very disciplined and have to get to university at 8am everyday. This is getting quite bothersome now..to the point where I am having to compromise my lifestyle in my own house!

So yesterday I asked him how long he intends to stay and told him to start cleaning the place. But the place is still a mess and he has no idea when he intends to get a place for himself...'I'll start looking for a place next week' was the answer.

I can't take this anymore..and I need some ideas how to get rid of this guy. I have been a gracious host so far but not anymore.

Any ideas? Or should I just tell him to pack his things and leave?
אני תומך בישראל

2H4

RE: How Can I Get Rid Of An Unwanted House Guest?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):
Or should I just tell him to pack his things and leave?

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Or, if you want to be friendlier about it, invite a different friend to stay with you for a few days and use that as an excuse to enact a deadline and kick him out.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

ozglobal

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Call the police or at least tell him when you will if he doesn't dematerialize.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Superfly

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Tell him to leave.
He told you 2 days and he's overstayed his welcome.

I knew a guy that would always come over my house unannounced. I'd put on Whitesnake and other 80s hair metal and he'd leave. He hated that kind of music and it worked in getting him out without me having to ask.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:08 pm

'I'll start looking for a place next week' was the answer.

Yeah, that's a bad sign right there. That's kind of like "I'll quit smoking after I finish this one."

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 1):
Or, if you want to be friendlier about it, invite a different friend to stay with you for a few days and use that as an excuse to enact a deadline and kick him out.

That's a good idea...or someone that would make him uncomfortable. Like your parents maybe.  Wink
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

stasisLAX

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:14 pm

So yesterday I asked him how long he intends to stay and told him to start cleaning the place. But the place is still a mess and he has no idea when he intends to get a place for himself...'I'll start looking for a place next week' was the answer.

Your former work colleague sounds like a text-book sociopath to me - throw him out!  crazy 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Tugger

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 pm

You need to just calmly tell that he needs to leave. Give him two days to arrange something else (probably will be just like what he did to you) but after that you are moving his stuff out.
Just be firm and don't give in to "OK but just give me one more week".

You were nice to help him and are right to assert that he go now.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

don81603

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:33 pm

If you want to real nasty (and I have done this before), while he's asleep, change the locks (if he has keys), and while he's asleep, toss his gear out the door. When he goes out to get it, lock the doors.
Or just tell him he's gonna have to start paying some rent...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

kiwiinoz

Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Given that the "friends" connection with this guy is not that strong, I would imagine he has already outstayed his welcome with real friends and family and has now decided to sponge off you.

Give him one day's notice to find another friend's couch and kick him out

Springbok747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks for the replies guys. When I get home today I'm gonna tell him to move out by this weekend. The guy was still asleep when I left for uni now..and its almost 10am. He doesnt even have transport..so I have no idea how he is going to carry all that stuff (a few bags and boxes) when he finally goes.

Quoting Kiwiinoz (Reply 8):
I would imagine he has already outstayed his welcome with real friends and family and has now decided to sponge off you.

The funny thing is his girlfriend stays about 200kms away..but she is with her parents and when I asked him why he didnt move in with her..his reply was that he didn't want to bother her family and that she asked him not to come. WTF?! What kind of a girlfriend is that?! My guess is he must have sponged off her also and her parents must have thrown him out.
אני תומך בישראל

staralliance38

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 am

Sounds like a Friends episode where Chandler couldn't get rid of his weird roomate Eddie  Wink. I suggest watching that episode heheh
Roar, lion, roar

virgin744

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 am

Talk to him and explain that your (imaginary brother/cousin/sister/aunt/uncle/whatever family member) is coming to stay with you for a few days and he needs to leave as you dont have room. Say it politely, sorry but family is family and you will need t leave in 3 days as you have outstayed the so-called 2 days you were expected to stay for.

and then get up and walk into the kitchen and do the dishes! Big grin

austinairport

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 am

Leave this thread up on your computer, and then ask him to, I dont know check the internet for something, and he will see it and then you can be like.. "Oh, you saw that didn't you" and pretend like you're all sad and stuff.
He will get the message and leave, then when he walks out the door, shut it, and freaking start dancing with joy!  Big grin
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

LTU932

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:08 am

Just tell him that he needs to go immediately, and that he should rather go stay at his parents' house or something. If he doesn't comply, tell him that you'll call the police.

SOBHI51

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 am

Lets see a work colleague who is not really one, a friend who is not a friend, a messy guy, filthy, does not share house duties, i am sure he does not pay for his food either, wanted two days hospitality but now he is there over a week. I don't see anything wrong in this picture  duck 

Man i would have kicked him out on the third day at 9AM even if he was still asleep
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

kmh1956

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:41 am

Go to the classified ads in your local paper, and circle a number of apartments/room shares/whatever...then leave it open for him with a note attached saying that you thought you'd help him out by starting his search for him....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Superfly

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 9):
I have no idea how he is going to carry all that stuff (a few bags and boxes) when he finally goes.

The same way it go there in the first place. That is his problem, not yours.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 15):
Go to the classified ads in your local paper, and circle a number of apartments/room shares/whatever...then leave it open for him with a note attached saying that you thought you'd help him out by starting his search for him....

Good idea.

Given his situation, he should at least have some respect for your house and clean up.
Bring back the Concorde

teo747

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:01 am

It's tough to tell someone to get out, even if he isn't really a friend or even a close friend, but I think I would have lost it at the "I'll start looking next week" line. I used to have a bit of a "I'll do it tomorrow/next week" mentality, although fortunately I have grown up since then. As I know from personal experience, the thing about next week is that 7 days from now, it will still be just as far in the future as it is today! I can see how you might be nice and let him stay if he really was looking and hadn't had any luck yet, but this guy is just taking advantage of you.

TUNisia

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 am

Become a nudist and invite other nudists over for a game of Twister.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

JoeCanuck

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 am

Heave ho...........!
What the...?

TSS

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:44 am

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 18):

Which could go horribly wrong if he's a closet nudist himself.

Don't mince words, just tell him he's got to go. Use the "relative is coming to visit" excuse if necessary, but don't let him stay there any longer. Beyond a certain point of time, he becomes a legal resident of YOUR home and it takes a whole mess of crap to get him out.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Phoenix9

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 20):
he becomes a legal resident of YOUR home

How is that possible if he is not paying rent or contributing in any other way?
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

TSS

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 21):
How is that possible if he is not paying rent or contributing in any other way?

Because you allowed him to move in without signing a lease or any other papers defining his length of stay, monetary compensation to you, or anything else related to his staying there.

Phoenix9

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:09 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 22):
Because you allowed him to move in without signing a lease or any other papers defining his length of stay, monetary compensation to you, or anything else related to his staying there.

Thanks. Never saw it from that angle!

Revelation

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:09 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
I knew a guy that would always come over my house unannounced. I'd put on Whitesnake and other 80s hair metal and he'd leave. He hated that kind of music and it worked in getting him out without me having to ask.

That's cruel and unusual punishment!  devil 

I was going to suggest cooking up a big kettle of baked beans and stink him out, but it seems that wouldn't bother him!

Excessive farting usually gets rid of female house guests who've overstayed their welcome.. Hopefully you haven't got one who is in to excessive farting!  vomit 
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Superfly

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 24):
That's cruel and unusual punishment! devil

My friends call me a musical sadist.
One of my buddies is a diehard Beatles fan and I love torturing him with lounge versions of Beatles covers. Big grin

Playing Whitesnake to get rid of that pest worked but I ended up becoming a huge fan of Whitesnake as a result.  Smile  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:53 am

Convey it staright.....Alternatively tell him you have some guests comming over & he needs to move.Ask some friends to visit for a few hrs.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

kiwiinoz

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. When I get home today I'm gonna tell him to move out by this weekend.

So....what happened?

A332

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ronglimeng

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:59 pm

My sympathies are with you. It is tough when you are probably both a nice guy and non-confrontational. That's likely why you were targeted.

Once you do solve this problem and are formulating "steps to prevent recurrence" , I hope you leave the "nice guy" aspect alone, and work on the "non-confrontational" factor.

BCAL

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 26):
tell him you have some guests comming over & he needs to move.Ask some friends to visit for a few hrs.

Always has worked for me when I wanted to get rid of an unwanted house guest.

Another alternative is to say you have to go to [hospital/see your mother or wherever] for a few days and you do not want him to stay at your place when you are not there so he must go. If, by chance, he leaves but then finds out you told a lie, either by seeing you at home or from someone else, simply tell him your plans had changed.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

baroque

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:45 pm

when he finally goes.

You do realise if you do not keep us posted on "progress", one of us will come round and pull yer arms orf?

2H4

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 31):
You do realise if you do not keep us posted on "progress", one of us will come round and pull yer arms orf?

Actually, I was thinking we could all show up at his place and crash there for awhile.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

IMissPiedmont

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 pm

When I get home today I'm gonna tell him to move out by this weekend.

I think that might just be a little, shall I say, WIMPY! Grow a set and tell him to leave right that second.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

aero145

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 32):
Actually, I was thinking we could all show up at his place and crash there for awhile.

I support that plan. A.net meet at Springbok747’s place!  biggrin 

7324ever

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 18):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Wears the address Id love to join!

Quoting TSS (Reply 20):

Isn't "Closet Nudest" and oxymoron?

I had the same problem with a friend of mine. I just stopped buying toilet paper and laundry soap and stuff like that. (I had the TP hidden in the attic). He got the message that if he was going to stay he needed to pitch in. He changed his act really fast and I had someone make up some lease papers and he stayed with me for a year until the lease broke then bought a house!
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

Springbok747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Ok progress report:

I told him to leave today...and threatened to get the cops involved..must have worked..he has packed all his stuff and is arranging transport..its Friday morning now and its raining..and I dont care. I want him out. Hopefully he will be gone by this afternoon.

And you're all welcome to an anet party at my place...all you have to do is get here and leave on time..otherwise I shall be forced to take some drastic action..like walk around naked  Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

Revelation

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 36):
otherwise I shall be forced to take some drastic action..like walk around naked

Some may take you up on that if you post a picture to the "would you hit it" thread!  biggrin 
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Danfearn77

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 am

Good on you. What he has done is taken advantage of your generosity and that i rude. I would have a problem as i am really shy and would have buggered around with it, but you had every right to do so.

Now, about this Anet party. I am in OZ for a month in December and i will need somewhere to stay over christmas and New year! Big grin  santahat 
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

Danfearn77

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 am

Forgot to say, i'll be there 2 days, max! I promise!  liar 
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

IHadAPheo

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 am

A meet at Springbok747's place!! woo hoo, I now this guy in Phoenix who would love to make it to the party.

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

TSS

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:52 am

Quoting 7324ever (Reply 35):
Quoting TSS (Reply 20):

Isn't "Closet Nudist" an oxymoron?

Oh no, not at all. You'd be surprised at the number of people who'll renounce clothing at the slightest provocation. Unfortunately, they're almost always the ones you least want to see naked.  vomit 

Ok progress report:

I told him to leave today...and threatened to get the cops involved..must have worked..he has packed all his stuff and is arranging transport..its Friday morning now and its raining..and I dont care. I want him out. Hopefully he will be gone by this afternoon.

Bravo!  bigthumbsup 

And you're all welcome to an anet party at my place...all you have to do is get here and leave on time..otherwise I shall be forced to take some drastic action..like walk around naked Big grin 

I'm tempted to say "There's no shame in my game. I will if you will", but frankly I find a nudist scenario distressing due to the lack of pockets. Where would I keep my keys and my wallet?  Wink

varigb707

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 am

First off, do not get the police involved, unless there is a real situation in which an emergency is required.
Since you let the person in, there is no invasion or 'squatting" or whatever.
I'd change the door locks, the next time this person is out. Put his/her stuff outside, with a note. If there is an attempt to came back in (from him/her) then call the police.
Do not resort to any type of physical or other means of threat. That may back fire and get you in trouble.
Make sure to think twice, next time some one asks you to crash for a few days.
Good luck.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Phoenix9

Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 am

Quoting VarigB707 (Reply 42):

Ummm...I don't think you read rest of the thread:

Ok progress report:

baroque

Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 32):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 31):

Well at least we all have a script, although I am not sure how some of the varying scripts would go if all played at the same time.  bouncy 

And you're all welcome to an anet party at my place...all you have to do is get here and leave on time..otherwise I shall be forced to take some drastic action..like walk around naked

Well done. Careful with the invitations, you know Adelaide is a REALLY nice place for lunch - I know because Max Gillies told me, again and again. But as it happened, I already knew that. Have a King George Whiting for me, lightly grilled!  cheerful 

Springbok747
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 am

Wohooooooooooooo he is gone! I am a free man again Big grin

Oh now I need to get back to cleaning up this mess...anyone care to help?  Wink

Quoting Baroque (Reply 44):
Careful with the invitations, you know Adelaide is a REALLY nice place for lunch

Oh yeah Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 45):
Wohooooooooooooo he is gone! I am a free man again

Congrats.....
Pity you can't share drinks vide the net  Smile
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NZ107

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 am

And you're all welcome to an anet party at my place...

Too bad I cut ADL out of my itinerary  Wink Maybe if I get a super cheap TT deal I'll come knocking on your door Big grin
It's all about the destination AND the journey.