Asturias
Topic Author

Iceland Applies For EU Membership

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 pm

I for one welcome our Icelandic cousins into the Union, if at the end of accession discussions they choose to join. It is also a great testament to the vibrant life of the European project.

Iceland is a good, solid democratic nation with the deepest European roots and belongs in the Union as much as any nation can.

Already the country is part of the EC in an indirect way through the EEA treaty (EEE en Español) and also part of Schengen.

Certainly the volatile financial environment has perhaps pushed Icelanders to apply to join the Union at this time, but as I understand it this was no instantaneous decision, but has been brewing ever since the nation joined the EEA in 1994.

Either way, I am certain Iceland will prove to be an invaluable member state and will play an important part in shaping the EU together with other members. Peace and prosperity in Europe for times to come can be achieved with the participation of the old and proud nations of northern Europe in concord with us here in the south.

Iceland is a rich, prosperous nation, with a high degree of education and a rich history of peace and democracy. It has been a long time coming, but let me just say: Welcome!  Smile

http://www.abc.es/20090716/internaci...-pedira-adhesion-200907161616.html (article in Spanish)

http://mbl.is/media/79/1579.pdf (official application)

asturias
Tonight we fly

OA260

RE: Iceland Applies For EU Membership

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 pm

It was expected due to their economic crisis. Its the only way for them to go IMHO.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Quoting Asturias (Thread starter):
Iceland is a rich, prosperous nation

Sorry, but this is unfortunately not so correct.

with a high degree of education and a rich history of peace

But that’s true.  

Welcome!

Thank you!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
It's the only way for them to go IMHO.

That’s correct. And also an opportunity for the highest people in the Social Democratic Alliance to get a seat in the EU.

[Edited 2009-07-17 09:21:41]

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 2):
Sorry, but this is unfortunately not so correct.

I'm not sure how you measure your wealth and prosperity, but I understand that Iceland has good resources to draw upon, fine infrastructure, deep democratic traditions, high level of education and while in an economic slump like the rest of us, has every oppertunity to pull itself up on its own merits.

That's what I call rich and prosperous. Membership of the Union can bring upon an environment of increased stability and credit to Iceland, something which can't harm, I'm sure.

Looking to the future, Iceland will be able to participate with the rest of us in the EU to continue to ensure the bright future of the continent. As I said, I'm sure there are some immediate concerns that occupy the concern of Icelanders today - but the future is also important.

When Spain joined the EC in the 80s we were also looking to the future, but certainly to assure more immediate economic needs. It was a good move on our part, at least.

asturias
Tonight we fly

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Well, what resources?

Okay, electricity, and fish. I cannot think of anything else. Most things are imported.

The main reason for applying the membership was because Iceland is in deep sh*t because some people used our money for making more money and then left Iceland as it is and left themselves. So, this is more of a ”fixing us” thing than being in the EU. Not few people don’t want to be in the EU.

--

I don’t want to say bad things about Iceland or anything like that, but I don’t want people to think too highly of it because it doesn’t really deserve it. In some aspects at least, I don’t mean everything of course.  Smile

OA260

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 4):
So, this is more of a ”fixing us” thing than being in the EU. Not few people don’t want to be in the EU.

Indeed. A few years ago if someone asked me to predict Iceland coming into the EU then I would have said no. Its just become a survival issue really. I hope that being a member of the EU doesnt destroy Iceland in other ways though.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
I hope that being a member of the EU doesnt destroy Iceland in other ways though.

That’s exactly the thing which I more than ’not hope’, I expect that to happen.

[Edited 2009-07-17 10:03:03]

f.pier

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm really happy because Iceland is a very good country and I think it deserves to be part of the EU.

Klaus

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Iceland is certainly welcome, even though the circumstances are less than ideal and quite a few issues remain to be resolved. But these issues will be resolved eventually, and both Iceland and the EU as a whole will be better off for it.

Good luck!  bigthumbsup 

OA260

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 pm

How long will it take for Iceland to actually join?

Blackbird

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 pm

If a country joins the E.U. can they legally and practically un-join the E.U. later should they so choose?

Kiwirob

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:50 pm

I hope that Iceland joining the EU will restart the EU debate in Norway, if Iceland joins it will leave only Norway and Liechtenstein in the EØS Pact. I don't think even Norway's oil wealth will do it any good going it along. So I hope Iceland joins and Norway makes the sensible and only realistic choice and open negotiations soon after.

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Indeed. A few years ago if someone asked me to predict Iceland coming into the EU then I would have said no. Its just become a survival issue really. I hope that being a member of the EU doesnt destroy Iceland in other ways though.

That is wonderfully vague.. either way the UE does not destroy countries - it being a cooperation of independent sovereign countries to boot. Have you been listening to the British press?

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 10):
If a country joins the E.U. can they legally and practically un-join the E.U. later should they so choose?

So says the Lisabo treaty, yes. Either way a country which was not inclined to be in the Union would be more damaging as a member than just to cut it lose.

This isn't the United States where secession is a four letter word. Heck the EU isn't a federation either! But you knew that.

asturias
Tonight we fly

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 12):
That is wonderfully vague.. either way the UE does not destroy countries

It’s not vague. And actually, the EU makes countries less independent. I hope Norway stays out of the EU and everybody knows Switzerland won’t do that either.

7324ever

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:30 pm

What would this mean for the infrastucture? Would they see more tourism, population, and air travel. Like Ryanair?

How is the currency doing now?
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 13):
It's not vague. And actually, the EU makes countries less independent. I hope Norway stays out of the EU and everybody knows Switzerland won't do that either.

I thought it was vague because it didn't elaborate any on the thought presented. That's why I said it was vague. Perhaps you didn't think it was vague.. but then you didn't say it was, I did. Nor did you write the part I quoted. OA260 did.

And «actually» the EU changes nothing with regards to the independence of a country. In fact a country must be independent and sovereign to even apply as a member state of the Union.

I hope Norway and Switzerland do what they think is right for them, but remember nobody forced Iceland to apply to the EU and it will be up to the Icelandic people in the end in a referendum.

asturias
Tonight we fly

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Quoting 7324ever (Reply 14):
How is the currency doing now?

Bravo
Alfa
Delta

One of the reasons for applying for the EU ”membership” - we get the €. Saving the asses of those who made our very good doing currency stall and fall to earth really fast.

OA260

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm

It’s not vague. And actually, the EU makes countries less independent. I hope Norway stays out of the EU and everybody knows Switzerland won’t do that either.

You are indeed correct. Glad you thought the same.  checkmark   checkmark 

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
I hope that being a member of the EU doesnt destroy Iceland in other ways though.

I am all ears to hear how the EU can destroy Iceland. After it has been a part of the EEA since 1994. Schengen since its conception.

Do you even realize what that means? It means for all intents and purposes Iceland has been an EC member since 1994. A non-voting EC member.

The plan is to move from a non-voting EC member to a voting EC member, take on a few more common legislative areas and that's that.

.. however the question remains: what countries has the EU destroyed so far. If the answer is 0, as is reality, then how the heck can you reach the conclusion that Iceland is in any threat from the EU?

Have you been listening to Daniel Hannan or Nigel Farage? Peh.

asturias
Tonight we fly

Klaus

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 pm

It’s not vague. And actually, the EU makes countries less independent.

Yes and no – pooling some responsibilities with the other members means not being the only one to have a say, but also means having a vastly wider scope of influence at the same time.

In many respects an isolated smaller country has practically no international influence and simply has to play along to the tune of the large powers. The European Union, on the other hand, is one of the biggest players particularly in economic matters.

Having some influence on the course of a major power and sharing its benefits will in most cases beat the option of not being heard at all on your own.

Klaus

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 18):
The plan is to move from a non-voting EC member to a voting EC member, take on a few more common legislative areas and that's that.

Actually, fishing rights for the other EU members will be a sticking point, as will be whaling which is illegal in the EU.

Quoting Asturias (Reply 18):
.. however the question remains: what countries has the EU destroyed so far. If the answer is 0, as is reality, then how the heck can you reach the conclusion that Iceland is in any threat from the EU?

Paranoia never needs any reasons.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
You are indeed correct. Glad you thought the same.  checkmark  checkmark     

Maybe it has to do with that, that there is only one letter differing from our countries’ names.

I eland

Wink

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
Actually, fishing rights for the other EU members will be a sticking point, as will be whaling which is illegal in the EU.

The EU CFP is governed by the rule of «relative stability», so there won't be any automatic fishing rights for other EU nations. That's pretty clear and I don't think Icelanders need to concern themselves about that.

As for the whaling, well we still have our bullfighting. The EU isn't there to stifle local customs and ways of life.

As well you know. However this is all academic. Discussions between the EU and Iceland will take 2 years at least.

I was just congratulating Iceland on this decision.

asturias
Tonight we fly

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 6):
That's exactly the thing which I more than 'not hope', I expect that to happen.

It's not vague. And actually, the EU makes countries less independent. I hope Norway stays out of the EU and everybody knows Switzerland won't do that either.

Wow, relax.. a lot of prejudice going on there... Why don't you give it a chance, before you start criticizing it so much?

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 22):
That's pretty clear and I don't think Icelanders need to concern themselves about that.

We concern ourselves about that fish is extremely expensive in Iceland. We don’t really gain anything by the fish, so it wouldn’t change much if people could fish freely there.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 23):
Wow, relax.. a lot of prejudice going on there... Why don't you give it a chance, before you start criticizing it so much?

Well what I say won’t change anything about chances. Of course I’ll wait and see, but I still want Iceland to stay out of the EU.

[Edited 2009-07-17 14:02:32]

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 24):
Well what I say won’t change anything about chances. Of course I’ll wait and see, but I still want Iceland to stay out of the EU.

I know it won't but maybe it will at least change your personal opinion about the EU.
I don't really know what to think of the EU as I've never experienced Denmark not being part of the EU.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Hej again

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 25):
I know it won't but maybe it will at least change your personal opinion about the EU.

Well it won’t until I notice something.  Smile I still have doubts…

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 25):
I don't really know what to think of the EU as I've never experienced Denmark not being part of the EU.

So what are your opinions about the EU, then? The only thing I feel about Denmark is that it’s cool and expensive.  Silly

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 26):
Well it won’t until I notice something.   I still have doubts…

Well can it get much worse up there than the way it is now?  Wink

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 26):
So what are your opinions about the EU, then? The only thing I feel about Denmark is that it’s cool and expensive.

Well I am not too much into EU politics, but sometimes it seems they have too much power, but I think it might be important for European countries to work together when there are other big players out there like the USA and China. And I also think it is better to be part of a community than to isolate yourself thinking you are special or can do it better than the rest, but that might just be my typical danish mentality  Wink

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 27):
Well can it get much worse up there than the way it is now?

Well, can be better but still worse - in a different way.  Silly

Well I am not too much into EU politics, but sometimes it seems they have too much power, but I think it might be important for European countries to work together when there are other big players out there like the USA and China. And I also think it is better to be part of a community than to isolate yourself thinking you are special or can do it better than the rest

Well there’s the thing - working together. IMHO, this working together-thing can be a bit too much. I think countries should try to do their dirty stuff themselves, without having to get help from others, and then not be able to pay the favour back and so on and so on. But I dunno…

but that might just be my typical danish mentality

Isn’t that always?  box   stirthepot 

me kidds  angel 

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 28):
Well, can be better but still worse - in a different way.  

Pleae enlighten me 

Well there’s the thing - working together. IMHO, this working together-thing can be a bit too much. I think countries should try to do their dirty stuff themselves, without having to get help from others, and then not be able to pay the favour back and so on and so on. But I dunno…

Why won't you be able to pay the favour back later on?

Isn’t that always?

I guess 'Janteloven' hasn't reached Iceland yet.. if it hasn't, you are lucky  

[Edited 2009-07-17 14:36:00]

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 pm

I kinda have nothing to say, AP747, those are just thoughts I have, which have no explanations.  Embarrassment Like Klaus said, paranoia needs no reasons, the things I say also not.  Silly

Janteloven haven’t reached us, no. The reading is a bit funny, though:

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janteloven

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 30):
I kinda have nothing to say, AP747

Just follow your old leader, dear colonial  Wink  duck 

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 30):
Janteloven haven’t reached us, no. The reading is a bit funny, though:

Yes it is.. not so often a good thing, but it kind of reflects the way most danes think.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 31):
Just follow your old leader, dear colonial

rotfl  If you say so...

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 31):
Yes it is.. not so often a good thing, but it kind of reflects the way most Danes think.

Somehow not what I’ve felt from Danish people I’ve met...  Wow!

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 32):
omehow not what I’ve felt from Danish people I’ve met...

Well it might not be the case in Copenhagen but it is felt in smaller towns.. but I guess it is like that in small towns all over the world.

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 24):
We concern ourselves about that fish is extremely expensive in Iceland. We don’t really gain anything by the fish, so it wouldn’t change much if people could fish freely there.

You don't gain anything by the fish? I thought that was the main export of Iceland. I'm pretty sure it is actually.

Regardless, becasue of the rule of relative stability, the EU will do nothing with fish around Iceland that other nations don't already trawl.

asturias
Tonight we fly

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 33):
Well it might not be the case in Copenhagen but it is felt in smaller towns.. but I guess it is like that in small towns all over the world.

The Danish people I’ve met were outside København. One of them was actually from Kh. but the others from Fyn, as far as I remember.

OA260

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):

Yes I wondered that myself. Whale Hunting is a bit more of an International issue than Bull fighting lol..

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 21):
Maybe it has to do with that, that there is only one letter differing from our countries’ names.

I eland

Could be lol.. I still have yet to visit Iceland and I always wanted to go.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 34):
You don't gain anything by the fish? I thought that was the main export of Iceland. I'm pretty sure it is actually.

I could actually care less about what it does, as we seem to be having a hard time with all the fish around! When a country’s main export is something, it should NOT be *extremely* expensive there. Don’t you agree?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 36):
Could be lol.. I still have yet to visit Iceland and I always wanted to go.

You should hurry, before Iceland gets the Euro. Now that you have Euro in Éire, going to Iceland and staying there for some time (and getting to see some things!) wouldn’t be too expensive.

Asturias
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 36):
Whale Hunting is a bit more of an International issue than Bull fighting

You mean it is internationally more unpopular?

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 37):
I could actually care less about what it does, as we seem to be having a hard time with all the fish around!

I have a hard time believing that there is so much fish around Iceland that it is actually giving you a hard time.. schools of fish are attacking old Icelandic ladies? Big grin

When a country's main export is something, it should NOT be *extremely* expensive there. Don't you agree?

Of course. I agree.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

Still waiting on some sort of elaboration on that borderline paranoid sentence. What ways could the EU destroy a country in (Iceland or any other) and what *other* ways are there?

asturias
Tonight we fly

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 38):
You mean it is internationally more unpopular?

Talking about the big ”fish” in the sea, most people in Iceland have nothing against the whale hunting.  Silly

I have a hard time believing that there is so much fish around Iceland that it is actually giving you a hard time.. schools of fish are attacking old Icelandic ladies?

There is also a thing called ”English is not my first language”.  sarcastic 

Of course. I agree.

The first time you agree with me about something.  biggrin 

OA260

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 pm

You should hurry, before Iceland gets the Euro

Indeed then you will know you are in the EU lol...Although Im a fan in general of the Euro but prices shot up when we got it introduced here.

aero145

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
Indeed then you will know you are in the EU lol...Although Im a fan in general of the Euro but prices shot up when we got it introduced here

Which means, find a flight and go now!  Smile

PPVRA

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):

Having some influence on the course of a major power and sharing its benefits will in most cases beat the option of not being heard at all on your own.

I think you will find that the Swiss are pretty proud of their "obscurity" and history of non-interventionism, unlike the massive suffering pretty much all "major powers" in history have brought to this earth. Not sure they'd agree with the idea that any other "major power's" history beats theirs, either.

Unfortunately, history has shown us that people will always pursue "power and influence" over others, even if at the same time it teaches it to be the wrong path.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Asturias
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 39):
There is also a thing called ”English is not my first language”.   

Nor is it my first language. As you might have guessed, it is not very popular in Spain.

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 39):
The first time you agree with me about something.   

Perhaps I misunderstand you, I certainly don't want to be disagreeable. I just wanted to offer my welcome.

asturias

[Edited 2009-07-17 17:32:56]
Tonight we fly

janmnastami

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:45 am

I think Iceland deserves to be member of the EU more than some actual Eastern Europe members.

Elite

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:59 am

Quoting Janmnastami (Reply 44):
I think Iceland deserves to be member of the EU more than some actual Eastern Europe members.

Despite the economic crisis I think Iceland can contribute more - maybe in the long term - than some of the Eastern European countries.

MillwallSean

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 10):

At the moment there isn't a clear way of doing this. Greenland however left roughly 20 years ago.
As a previous poster said, the Lisbon treaty will provide a way out for those that wish not to participate.

Regarding Iceland, I doubt they will vote yes when the deal is done. Iceland, like most Scandinavian countries, are rather sceptic to anything coming from the outside. No matter what it is.
To a certain degree I found Denmark slightly different than the other parts of Scanidinavia. They are closer to the continent and trading has been the key to their wealth. Their mindsets are not as afraid or sceptic towards Europe as some oteghr countries.
I guess you can see this in the southern province of Sweden, Scania, as well.

Anyway joining the EU is a big step for a small nation. I am not sure the Icelandic people are ready for it. They fought for their independence 2 generations ago.
However many Icelanders work abroad so maybe they will swing the vote.

What I reckon Iceland need is the Euro. Their currency is to small and can in the case of a financial problem be manipulated with dire consequences.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Asturias
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 46):
Regarding Iceland, I doubt they will vote yes when the deal is done. Iceland, like most Scandinavian countries, are rather sceptic to anything coming from the outside.

While I can't see into the future, all Nordic countries are EU members except two - Norway and Iceland. Of the Scandinavian countries 2 out of 3 are in the EU.

That being the case, is it fair to label those countries as skeptical of things coming from the outside? The only country that can clearly be labeled as skeptical, bordering on xenophobic is the UK.

asturias
Tonight we fly

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:00 am

I hope Norway stays out of the EU

Why, staying outside the EU when all your major trading partners are in is odd plus Norway has to follow most of the EU rules and regulations but has no say in making them.

Klaus

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:56 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 42):
I think you will find that the Swiss are pretty proud of their "obscurity" and history of non-interventionism, unlike the massive suffering pretty much all "major powers" in history have brought to this earth. Not sure they'd agree with the idea that any other "major power's" history beats theirs, either.

I wasn't talking about obscurity, I was talking about things like trade disputes and such.

In effect, Switzerland already has to abide by EU regulations and standards in very many aspects of life and commerce, just without having any influence on those regulations as any member nation would have.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 42):
Unfortunately, history has shown us that people will always pursue "power and influence" over others, even if at the same time it teaches it to be the wrong path.

The EU does not try to gain "power over others", but simply the power to not be steamrolled by external powers. Airline access, tariffs and related matters come to mind among many other things.