Atlanta
Topic Author

Buying A First Car (not For Me!)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi all,

About three years ago I promised my grandson a brand new car for his 16th birthday, and this birthday is fast approaching! I told him that I would have it on his birthday (Aug. 21) but I have a few questions. My first choice for him would be a new 2010 Camaro or the new 2010 Ford Mustang, the Mustang GT would be better than the Camaro, because an SS would be at the total top of my budget. Also, when I was picking out cars when my three girls were 16 I bought each a new Camaro (mind you this was in the late-70's) but the Camaros have a special place in my heart.

-Are the Camaro and Mustangs good choices? Or are there better cars for under $32k?

-He is a major car enthusiast, should I be thinking of maybe a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution or something of that nature?

-Is it too late to reserve a Camaro for the 21st?

-Am I an idiot for asking this on an aviation website?  Smile

Atlanta
Welcome To The New Delta- The World's Largest Airline

LH4116

RE: Buying A First Car (not For Me!)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:34 pm

I would say he's a lucky kid! Big grin

But go for the mustang, it's much nicer than a camaro! (IMO)
SAS Plus is Business Class made faux!

max550

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:37 pm

If you want it by August 21st the Mustang would probably be easier to find, I think the Camaro has a waiting list that's pretty long.
I've always been a Ford guy so I'm biased towards the Mustang, but both of them are nice cars. From what I've read the Camaro V6 is a great car, it's over 300hp and isn't a whole lot slower than the Mustang GT.

Are you sure you want to get such a high performance car for a 16 year old though? I had a 4-cyl Subaru ('91 Legacy, nothing cool like a WRX or anything) and managed to lose my license within 33 days of getting it, so I don't know if a V8 is the best choice for a 16 year old. If you really want to get one for him though I'd check with the insurance company and find out the rates for the different options. Insuring a Mustang GT or Camaro SS for a new driver is probably very expensive.

BMI727

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Quoting Atlanta (Thread starter):
Or are there better cars for under $32k?

Get him a used Porsche 911. You can find 993s and 996s for under $30k.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Emirates773ER

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:16 pm

A BMW 335i coupe, get a used oen with low milage on it. Bileve me he wil love it! The car can me modified to his taste interms of looks, power, exhausts and what not. I highly recomend it for its handling a shear beauty, do have a look!  Smile

http://www.thehotcars.com/wp-content/ham%20%20BMW%20335i%20Coupe%20modificat%20de%20HAMANN.jpg
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Zuluaviator994

Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:16 pm

If you're looking for under $32K,
Try and take a look at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Before I get flamed, just look:

www.hyundaigenesis.com/coupe

regards

[Edited 2009-07-24 13:18:17]
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.

MCOflyer

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 pm

I have to ask who is paying for the insurance, and fuel? Some cars worth checking out:

Dodge Challenger: starts at 22,945
Volkawagen GTI; starts at 24K
Dodge SRT 4: starts out at 35K
Volkwagen Jetta TDI- starts out 22,400

If I had to choose between the two, I wolud choose the mustang. If you do choose the mustang, try to find a good used Roush edition. It will be high on the insurance though.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:08 am

Are you paying the insurance? Because parents are not going to be very happy once they see the insane insurance rates for a Camaro SS or Mustang GT.

I would suggest a V6 Camaro, which is just as powerful as a Mustang V8, and much cheaper to insure. Unless insurance costs do not matter.
a.

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):
I have to ask who is paying for the insurance, and fuel? Some cars worth checking out:

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
Are you paying the insurance? Because parents are not going to be very happy once they see the insane insurance rates for a Camaro SS or Mustang GT.

I will be registering and insuring the vehicle.

Quoting ZuluAviator994 (Reply 5):
Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Never thought of Hyundai, it doesn't look like a bad car.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
Get him a used Porsche 911. You can find 993s and 996s for under $30k.

Since I will be paying for maintaining and insuring this car, I was looking less exotic just because I worry about huge repair bills.

[quote=Max550,reply=2]Are you sure you want to get such a high performance car for a 16 year old though?

I feel he has earned it, he is a good kid. Big grin

Today, I also payed a visit to some local dealerships and I found:

-2010 Ford Mustang GT (well equiped) MSRP=$30,124 Dealer price=$28,944 (best price)

-2010 Chevy Camaro SS (one in stock, well equiped) MSRP=$34,562 Dealer price=$37,062 (Incl. Dealer Camaro surcharge)  Wow! That just totally shocked me, and I never expected a $2500 surcharge!

Atlanta

whappeh

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:25 am

You all are talking about handing a Lancer Evo or a Mustang GT to a 16 year old? Hope you all enjoy giving advice that will statistically end up in his death.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

jcs17

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:54 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 9):
You all are talking about handing a Lancer Evo or a Mustang GT to a 16 year old? Hope you all enjoy giving advice that will statistically end up in his death.

I was handed a sweet, undeserved, new, and leased Land Rover Discovery (value: in the low $40k range) for my 18th birthday. My parents said it's yours if you take a job in college and pay the residual when you're 21. Did I? Not even close, I was probably at -$9 when the lease was up. The Disco went to the dealership faster than the speed of sound when the lease was up. I appreciate that lesson now at age 26. I washed that stupid thing by hand every other weekend, when I should've been trying to pay it off by any means possible.

Would I recommend giving a kid a fast car? No. My friends wrapped their 3-series BMWs and Eclipses around trees and lamp standards. I had friends who died because their parents let them have high performance car. Would I recommend doing what my parents did? Looking back, absolutely. It's a life lesson. Give your grandson an awesome safe SUV, but ask them to earn it in the long run.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Springbok747

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:27 am

A 16yo getting a muscle car. Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with that picture?
אני תומך בישראל

wingscrubber

Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:01 am

Get him a used Geo Metro/Honda Civic or something similar, make sure it's a manual. That way he can learn to drive PROPERLY - you really have to push those cars to go fast so he'll be less likely to wrap it around a tree, also you'll be doing him a favour by giving him a more economical car.
Plus, to keep it running he'll have to do some maintenance on it himself so he'll learn something, and if he wants a more 'cool car', he'll get a job and damn well earn some money to pay for it himself.

If you just buy a 16 year old kid a sportscar and give it to him, he might say 'thanks', but won't appreciate its true worth because he hasn't earned it. He'll treat it like crap, thrash it in front of his friends to impress them and probably crash it, possibly injuring himself and others or worse.

If you really want to give him a gift he can use, take that 40k you're about to buy the car with and put it in a savings account or bonds or stocks for his first house or for college, or maybe even buy him some flying lessons?? Nothing teaches responsibility like learning to fly...

16 year old kid + horsepower = insurance claim + hospital bills
Resident TechOps Troll

7324ever

Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:13 am

I'm kinda not seeing a big question here no one has asked yet?!

Is he responsible?

I could assume he is if your willing to get him the car. I got my younger brother an 07 Honda civic and was the stupidest mistake I made. Totaled a 22k car 3 months after getting it and he was 20 at the time so being 16 doesn't necessarily mean he isn't responsible.

Quoting Wingscrubber (Reply 13):
make sure it's a manual. That way he can learn to drive PROPERLY

Im with you 100%, if you do get a muscle car it is well just a huge waste to get an automatic just buy him a golf cart if it is one.

Personal preference get the mustang, more power and its sexy! I lost all respect for GM after the 2 hour car commercial transformers...
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

pocho

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:33 am

How about a new Civic? It's fuel efficient, low maintenance, safe and has good resale value. It would be a great first car.

Fly2HMO

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:10 am

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark  You could get a great deal on new MKVs sitting on the lot now that the MKVI is out.

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 10):
Give your grandson an awesome safe SUV,

Yeah sure  banghead  Big does not equal safe. For safety I would get anything but a large, heavy, clumsy, crappy handling and eager-to-roll-over SUV.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 11):
Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with that picture?

I wouldn't give the kid anything more zippy than a GTI, I don't care how responsible he is. I know I sure as heck I wouldn't have trusted myself even with a GTI back when I was 16, even if racing runs in the family. I'm now 25 and much more aggressive than your average Joe on the road but at the same time much more responsible.The GTI is plenty powerful and will easily out-handle those muscle cars in the turns. Heck the V6 'stang is much slower than the GTI (both in paper and real life) and the (non-GT500) V8 barely keeps up with it. Not to mention its more fuel efficient and infinitely better built.

And quite frankly, give him a car that's built nice and that won't feel like a clunker as soon as you drive it off the lot. I avoid American and Asian cars for that very reason.

Atlanta, just think VERY hard on this one. Too many times I've heard of kids and relatively close acquaintances in the exact same position of your grandson getting waaaaay too much car for their age/skill level and they always end up either badly injured (quadraplegics, month long comas, every bone shattered, etc) or worse, dead. I know you could care less about getting lectured by a 25 year old like myself but take it from someone who's been there and seen that happen, MANY times.

dw747400

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:16 am

Quoting Pocho (Reply 16):
How about a new Civic? It's fuel efficient, low maintenance, safe and has good resale value. It would be a great first car.

Because that is what every 16 year old car enthusiast wants to see in his driveway: a Civic.

Not that I completely disagree, but it may be tough to backtrack at this point.

My buddy got a Camaro as his first cat, and he drove it responsibly. Still, he regrets it, both for the price of keeping it running and the limited practicality. Plus the insurance was painful early on, and a 17 year old in a Camaro attracts cops like bees to honey.

Something that is still stylish and powerful while being a bit larger and more practical than a Mustang or Camaro would be worth considering. Personally, I think there are many nice large coupes or sports sedans that would fit the bill, with strong V6s or even V8s if the extra power is a must. I'm not an expert, so I don't really want to start naming specific models, but there are plenty of options in between a Mustang and a Civic that would be worth considering.

I understand what you want to do, my only advice would be to balance what makes him happy now with what his needs might be 5 years down the road.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

ajd1992

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 am

That also begs the question: What happened to giving a kid a small, economical car?

I know how Americans do their cars, and to be honest if you give him a car with that much power that's RWD and the fact he's barely old enough to see over the wheel, you should throw in a coffin and headstone as well. I've been in a Mustang (a 2007 one, but even so) and they're shit hot.

Maybe he doesn't want to see a Civic on the drive, but you'll be safe knowing it's a lot harder to kill himself (and somebody else) with it.

airtrainer

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:28 pm

-Am I an idiot for asking this on an aviation website?

No... But after reading a few answers I'm finally glad to see I'm not the only one thinking it would be absolutely stupid and irresponsible to do this. Do whatever you want but please do us a favour : don't come back with a thread telling how to deal with the troubles of your grandson.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

melpax

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 20):

I'd have to agree there. A 3 series BMW as suggested earlier would be a good choice, much less chance of him getting into trouble as well. And then there's the insurance aspect, hate to think what a 16YO would be charged for driving an evo - A mate of mine had an early WRX, and he was paying 1500 a year at 32 years old with a good insurance history. The state govenment here has banned probatinary licence holders (typlically between the ages 18-21 here) from driving high-powered cars (basically anything with a V8 or turbo, with the exception of turbodiesels & Smarts) for some time now.

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/in...restrictions_that_apply_if_yo.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

fbgdavidson

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 10):
Would I recommend giving a kid a fast car? No. My friends wrapped their 3-series BMWs and Eclipses around trees and lamp standards. I had friends who died because their parents let them have high performance car.

But that is your friends. You can twist statistics any which way you like but it all depends on the driver in question.

I had a very average, small economical car as my first to get me to grips with the handlings of a vehicle then moved up....However, I went through the British public school system and when we turned 17 some of my friends went insane, or their parents did! One guy learned on a Ferrari 355 (was funny seeing the 'L' plates on that) because he was wealthy enough that learning to drive a Chevy Aveo equivalent was largely a waste of time. In his first year he rotated between a Mercedes CL500, Mercedes S500, a BMW M5, the aforementioned Ferrari, and a couple of other cars which I can't remember, all new with the exception of the 355 which he and his brother 19yr old brother had for a couple of years. Also when his new Porsche 996 arrived he didn't have anywhere to keep it at his house in west London (his parents lived abroad) and the school only allowed each pupil to keep one car on premises. He gave it to a friend and paid for all the insurance and petrol for him for a few months, the only proviso being that if he wanted to drive the Porsche he could borrow it.

None of us died, nobody got in an accident and we all had a good time...apart from when a couple of idiots down at the local pub decided to key up the M5 out of spite or jealousy.  

It can work if you have the rights kids with the right values and responsibilities...

Personally if I was the OP, I'd consider something second hand with some cache (if he is car enthusiast he's not going to be thrilled with a Hyundai!) but not too much HP. Give him 6 months to get to grips with that car and sell it with minimal loss and buy the Mustang, Camaro, Golf GTI...whatever.

Oh, and if you do get something with a decent slug of horsepower send him to one of those week long performance driving school places.

[Edited 2009-07-25 07:18:13]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

golfradio

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:55 pm

How about a fuel efficient car that also helps the environment? I agree he wouldn't be too popular driving around in a Prius but have you considered the Mini Cooper?

It is a very fuel efficient car, has good safety ratings, not a performance car that can be abused by teen high on adrenalin and also is hip for the youngsters. And no I don't work for BMW nor sell them, just love the mini.

http://www.miniusa.com/

I wish I had a Granddad who would gift me a mini  Smile
Bring back the old site.

Cadet57

Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Giving a 16 year old a Mustang or Camaro is just about the stupidest thing a parent or grandparent can do. but hey, its your money  sarcastic 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

photopilot

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 8):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):

I will be registering and insuring the vehicle.

Which of course leads to a very important question. Are you buying, registering and insuring the vehicle in YOUR name in order to keep the insurance company from finding out that the defacto "owner" and "driver" is a 16-year-old kid? That's insurance fraud and when/if the kid wraps the car around a tree, he'll be dead and you'll be in a world of trouble.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
Giving a 16 year old a Mustang or Camaro is just about the stupidest thing a parent or grandparent can do. but hey, its your money

Some very good advice from these two posts.

So.................. here's my two cents worth.

First.... BUY the kid the absolute BEST DRIVER's EDUCATION program you can find. Not only the one that will teach him to pass the exam, but the course that will teach him accident avoidance, skid control, and what to do when things go horribly wrong on a dark wet road at night.

Second.... Buy him a responsible car. Something nice, but fuel efficient, 100-125 HP max, and with a 5-spd tranny. Something fun, dress it up with some look nice options, but not so vast a HP rating as to get him into trouble. OH, and reclining seats.... for the girlfriends. bigthumbsup 

Show him you love him by keeping him safe. When he's 21 (or more) and graduates university, that's the time for a better car, and a nice reward for 4 years of hard work.

IMHO.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 pm

maybe a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Am I an idiot for asking this on an aviation website? Smile

Based on what you've wrote, you certainly seem like someone who is seriously lacking critical judgment if you are really considering "arming" a 16-year old with no or very little driving experience with a car like the Lancer EVO.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 20):
because he was wealthy enough that learning to drive a Chevy Aveo equivalent was largely a waste of time

The thing is that you no money will buy you basic driving skills, instincts and reflexes regardless what your bank statement says.
Why do you thik they don't send pilots straight to supersonic fighter jets or let them fly 300 people accross the ocean but annoy the crap out of them by having them fly cessnas first???

None of us died, nobody got in an accident and we all had a good time...

And that is a proof of what?  Yeah sure

whappeh

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:42 pm

btw, OP: I don't know if you know this or not, but the Lancer Evolution X has similar OR BETTER performance numbers than a Ferrari F360. If he wants a sports car, get him something sporty, like a V6 Mustang or something with less HP and Torque.

Maybe the kid can handle it, there are some driving prodigies out there, but frankly: I doubt it.

aero145

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Am I an idiot for asking this on an aviation website?

Well I guess so. Here people are quite often sensible.  sarcastic 

Jpax

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 am

Adding to the criticism, I have two friends who had a STi and a Evo. To avoid writing a novel I will say this-- both received so many tickets one got jail time and both had their licenses revoked...oh, and both cars were totaled within a year of getting their licenses.

Another guy I know, not so much a friend, was also a very dangerous driver. He had a GTI, relatively slow compared to the preceding cars, but he drove that thing to its limits, constantly breaking the law and getting tickets. He drove that way until he ending up in the hospital with some pretty serious injuries. We all thought he learned his lesson, but he didn't. Still drives like a moron.

These cars exceed the maturity level and driving experience of most sixteen year olds. I just hope that when he is speeding down the road racing his friends, he doesn't kill some the person just driving along trying to go home and see his family.

whappeh

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 am

Most of these cars exceed the maturity level of anyone driving them. I grew up with performance cars in my family and extend family. I was behind the wheel of an M3 when I was 14 (with my dad in the right seat, and on a private farm road!) and when my friends get around me in my STI, bad things always happen... but at least I have years of driving experience. I don't even want to know what a 16 year old would do.

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:25 am

Ok everyone, I had written a post explaining my change of heart but it has gotten deleted.

I have visited two VW dealers today and decided a Rabbit is the best bet, I think but im not sure.

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 23):
Show him you love him by keeping him safe. When he's 21 (or more) and graduates university, that's the time for a better car, and a nice reward for 4 years of hard work.

I agree, thats why I really liked the VW's today

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 23):
Are you buying, registering and insuring the vehicle in YOUR name in order to keep the insurance company from finding out that the defacto "owner" and "driver" is a 16-year-old kid?

NO NO NO, I am just signing the checks, none of it will be in my name.

Atlanta

golfradio

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:28 am

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 29):
decided a Rabbit is the best bet, I think but im not sure.

No Mini? Oh well ...
Bring back the old site.

whappeh

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:29 am

That is good to hear. I'm always happy to hear when people are buying exotic, powerful sports and performance cars, but there is a time and place. VWs are great first cars, well built and well handling. From there he can work is way up to an Evo, or a Ferrari.  Wink

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 31):
That is good to hear. I'm always happy to hear when people are buying exotic, powerful sports and performance cars, but there is a time and place. VWs are great first cars, well built and well handling. From there he can work is way up to an Evo, or a Ferrari.

Haha screw him! Im trading my RS4 in before he even sits in a Ferrari!!!!!!  Wink

Quoting Golfradio (Reply 30):
No Mini? Oh well ...

I had a little bit of sticker shock for a car f that size, but they do look nice. One question do they share underpinnings with BMWs?

Atlanta

Cadet57

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:43 am

I have visited two VW dealers today and decided a Rabbit is the best bet, I think but im not sure.

An excellent car. I have a jetta currently, but test drove a Rabbit and it is a nimble, solid little car. The 2.5L has just enough punch when needed. And its a great riding car. You, or he, wont be disappointed. Hell, I know id be happy if someone handed me the keys to a $15k car the day I turned 16.

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:49 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 33):
$15k car

$15k?? The one I looked at had a sticker of $23,587!!! And I thought that was a pretty good price!

Atlanta

Cadet57

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:52 am

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 34):
$15k?? The one I looked at had a sticker of $23,587!!! And I thought that was a pretty good price!

Are you sure thats not a GTi? The base price for the Rabbit is $16,300 for the 2 door and $19,300 for the 4 door

http://www.vw.com/rabbit/en/us/

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:55 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
Are you sure thats not a GTi? The base price for the Rabbit is $16,300 for the 2 door and $19,300 for the 4 door

Yes, it was a loaded 4 door, It had the sport effects kit, power sun roof, the 18' wheels, ipod adapter, and the floor mats. Im sure it was pretty darn close to that price.

Atlanta

Cadet57

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:57 am

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 36):
Yes, it was a loaded 4 door, It had the sport effects kit, power sun roof, the 18' wheels, ipod adapter, and the floor mats. Im sure it was pretty darn close to that price.

The 18'' wheels alone are around 1300, the body kits are another 1200. Ask yourself. Is 2500 really worth it? And on that note, the VW ipod kit sucks. It's not worth the $100+ they charge for it.

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
The 18'' wheels alone are around 1300, the body kits are another 1200. Ask yourself. Is 2500 really worth it? And on that note, the VW ipod kit sucks. It's not worth the $100+ they charge for it.

Thats true, but it was the only one in red!  Smile Should I order one to my specs instead? And does everyone think the Rabbit wont only hop to VW repair shops?  Smile

Cadet57

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:04 am

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 38):
Should I order one to my specs instead?

Yes. VW, at least the dealer I went to, im sure others are as well. Are very helpful with custom built cars. And many times, if they dont have it, they can get it.

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 38):
nd does everyone think the Rabbit wont only hop to VW repair shops?

The new VW's are ranking much better reliability wise than they were a few years ago. Plus, the first 3 years or 36k miles, scheduled maintenance is free.

flymia

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:41 am

Great car dont go for the rabbit it is underpowered and IMO is a "girls" car. I know if I knew that a Camero was in the discussion I would be very disapointed with the rabbit. Go with the GTI since it seems like you can afford it, it is just a safe as the rabbit obviously since it is the same car and it is not that powerful of a car it moves but it does not have the power of the othe cars you were talking about. GTI is a great choice, or if you want some more size Jetta GLI is great. Also you can probably get some great deals on some 1-2 year old Touaregs the V6 is 290HP it is a great and very safe car. I had an 04 V8 for a few years and wow what an amazing SUV. The gas is kind of expensive but cant trade that for the 5300lbs of metal around him.

Never thought of Hyundai, it doesn't look like a bad car.

Very nice car and nicer than the Ford Mustang or Camero.

As I said above Rabbit is not exactly the type of car a 16 year old boy would like. IMO. Its a great car but if you can afford the GTI it is just better. But I am sure he will be grateful for anything but if the price is not a big issue I would go for the GTI.
From somone who got his first car just under 4 years ago, just make sure he knows that speeding like an idiot kills, always wear your seatbelt because that kills more people than speeding, and if you do speed do it on an dry empty highway.

If I had $28,000 to buy a car I would look at nice 1-2 year old models: Mercedes C300, VW Touareg's and Passats, BMW 3s, Audi A4s etc.. But if I would have to buy a new one VW GTI would be on the top of my list!

Have fun shopping for the car, dont pay any dealer premium and hope he enjoys what ever he gets which I am sure he will!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

BMI727

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:14 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 40):
As I said above Rabbit is not exactly the type of car a 16 year old boy would like. IMO. Its a great car but if you can afford the GTI it is just better.

I have to agree. Give the kid a break and get him a GTi. Rabbits are just too popular with ditzy dental hygienists who keep a Yorkshire terrier in their purse.

Plus, if it makes you feel any better, kids are going to be stupid no matter what they drive. I know, having done it.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

MAH4546

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:29 am

The brand-new Golf and GTI arrive in a few months. Buying a new GTI/Rabbit right now is just buying a very obsolete piece of technology.
a.

CXB77L

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:22 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 24):
None of us died, nobody got in an accident and we all had a good time...

And that is a proof of what?

That while statistically, a lot of young people with powerful cars end up hurting themselves and/or others on the road, there are also young drivers who know exactly what they are doing behind the wheel. We can't stereotype young drivers as irresponsible or immature, and I disagree with any moves for blanket legislation which prevents young drivers from being able to drive any car they want, provided that they can afford it, and provided that they attend a defensive/advanced driver training course (which I believe should be compulsory for anyone getting a driver's licence).

Having said that, if I was buying a car for someone, I think it would be wise to ask them what they actually want. A car is the second biggest investment most people will make, so I'd at least make sure that the person I'm buying the car for likes the car. To me, the GTI is the best value for money - fantastic performance for not so much cash, and VW are arguably the best built cars. I've driven a GTI before, and while it's not the fastest, it is terrific around corners, and very safe as well.
Boeing 777 fanboy

fbgdavidson

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:41 pm

And that is a proof of what?  

That not all 16yr olds with anything more than 150bhp to their name will end up in a box or a prison cell faster than you can say 'speeding ticket'.

The thing is that you no money will buy you basic driving skills, instincts and reflexes regardless what your bank statement says.

Which is why I suggested in my post:

Oh, and if you do get something with a decent slug of horsepower send him to one of those week long performance driving school places.

Why do you thik they don't send pilots straight to supersonic fighter jets or let them fly 300 people accross the ocean but annoy the crap out of them by having them fly cessnas first???

Which is why I suggested in my post: (see a trend developing here?)

Personally if I was the OP, I'd consider something second hand with some cache (if he is car enthusiast he's not going to be thrilled with a Hyundai!) but not too much HP. Give him 6 months to get to grips with that car and sell it with minimal loss and buy the Mustang, Camaro, Golf GTI...whatever.

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

TUNisia

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Here's a thought...

Why not use the 30K you were going to throw out the window (i.e. US car depreciation) and set the kid up with a nice investment account (stocks, mutual funds). The Dow is bound to rise over his lifetime and all those earnings and dividends will add up!

IMHO that's probably the best gift you can give him rather than a depreciating asset. However, you could also buy him an economical affordable car that he isn't as likely to race around in and intimidate people with and use the difference for the investment account (15K and 15K).

TUNisia
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:59 pm

I just got a call back from the Dodge dealer and they say they can give me a great deal on a Charger R/T or a Avenger R/T, they don't seem underpowered or over powered to me. Are they just as good as say the GTi? Are they just as overpowered for a 16 year old? Will I get flamed again for this?  Smile

Atlanta

Atlanta
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I cant edit my above post, but it may be an SXT but I don't really remember which (the salesman talked very fast!  Smile .

Atlanta

flymia

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 45):
Why not use the 30K you were going to throw out the window (i.e. US car depreciation) and set the kid up with a nice investment account (stocks, mutual funds). The Dow is bound to rise over his lifetime and all those earnings and dividends will add up!

IMHO that's probably the best gift you can give him rather than a depreciating asset. However, you could also buy him an economical affordable car that he isn't as likely to race around in and intimidate people with and use the difference for the investment account (15K and 15K).

Great Idea, $30,000 can easily become $200,000 in 15 years.

Quoting Atlanta (Reply 46):
I just got a call back from the Dodge dealer and they say they can give me a great deal on a Charger R/T or a Avenger R/T, they don't seem underpowered or over powered to me. Are they just as good as say the GTi? Are they just as overpowered for a 16 year old? Will I get flamed again for this?

NO, no Dodge can compare with a VW. VW is the most popular car in the world for a reason. They are great. Good handling, very safe and built to drive. I have a friend with a Avenger not a horrible car, I never drove it but I am sure it drives just like every other piece of junk American small sedan it's a rental car. The Charger R/T is a bit better and has some power. But none of those could compare to a GTI. You tell VW are made to be driven on the highway from a Jetta TDI, R32 or Touareg V8 all drive GREAT on the highway and are built to be driven at autobahn speeds with not hazard to your safety. A car is a big thing, sure it would be nice to surprise him and all but I remember when I was looking for a new car I test drove a bunch and finally found one which was for me. (the 04 Touareg) I say take him out for some test drives see what he likes. Does he want a small GTI? Would he rather have a Jeep Wrangler? That is a GREAT car for the price and you wont have to worry about him speeding in races well because you cant, a four door Wrangler loaded is great. Just have to worry about him going off roading. There are obviously a lot of cars out there. As I am sure you know this is something you don't rush into. But lucky for you this is the best time ever to buy or lease a car.

But I am sure you know what he likes but every car is different. The next time I start looking for a new car I plan on test driving for at least a month.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Zuluaviator994

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 pm

What about the 2.0 Turbo Genesis?
It isn't nearly as powerful as the 3.8, and its a somewhat heavy car, has a .06 power/weight ratio.
If Speed is life, Altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with the sky.