planespotting

Obama Picks Bud Light For Cop/Prof WH Meeting.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:31 pm

[This thread is about the decision of Barack Obama to serve Bud Light at his little informal get together at the White House, and the qualities inherent in beer to solve all race problems in America - not the whole politicized situation itself]

If I were Professor Gates or Officer Crowley, I'd be less than pleased with the President's beer selection. If it were me, I would have chosen High Life, PBR or Old Style, mainly because I like those beers, and there's very little pretentiousness associated with them.

If he wanted to go with a tastier combo but still look unpretentious, Sam Adams (since both Gates and Crowley are from Boston) is always a winner, or he could have chosen a local Chicago product like Goose Island (Honkers Ale, Summertime, 312, etc ...) to introduce to the east coasters.

Really, anything but the corporate beer Anheuser-Busch. They're not even an American company anymore (yes yes all the beer served in America is brewed in America, but the home corporate office is now in Belgium.) It just stinks of unoriginality.

That's my take. Yours?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

racko

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:36 pm

I would have gone German or Czech. No risk of being associated with anything particular in the US and tastes better.

NIKV69

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey if he wanted to give Chicago respect he would have chose Pabst!  biggrin 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm

I'd personally go with Yuengling. Good session beer, it's the US's oldest brewery - it's unpretentious, but tasty, and the brewery is "neutral ground" - neither Boston, Chicago, nor DC.

Now if the President really wanted to hearken back to his past - I'm also a fan of the Kona Brewing Company's brews, particularly Fire Rock, Wailua Wheat, and Longboard Lager. Summer in DC gets pretty humid, so out of those, maybe the Wailua Wheat.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

srbmod

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I would have gone with something from a regional microbrewery like Old Dominion (VA), Dogfish Head (DE), or Flying Dog/Wild Goose (MD).

Bud Light is one of the biggest selling beers in the world, but biggest isn't always the best. I guess the mainstream brands of the Anheuser-Busch Companies subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch InBev have more of a "working class/common man" reputation. If I were going to be serving something from their portfolio, I would go with the Budweiser American Ale or perhaps something from Redhook/Widmer (They hold a minority stake in that company.).

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 3):
I'd personally go with Yuengling. Good session beer, it's the US's oldest brewery - it's unpretentious, but tasty, and the brewery is "neutral ground" - neither Boston, Chicago, nor DC.

Now if the President really wanted to hearken back to his past - I'm also a fan of the Kona Brewing Company's brews, particularly Fire Rock, Wailua Wheat, and Longboard Lager. Summer in DC gets pretty humid, so out of those, maybe the Wailua Wheat.

Can't argue against those either. In the last year, they finally started selling Yuengling in Georgia, and it's become a staple of my rotation of brews. Interestingly enough, Kona uses A-B's distribution network, which has allowed national distribution and even distribution to Japan.

[Edited 2009-07-29 13:56:23]

Alias1024

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm

I think PBR would have been a terrible idea. First, it's the stylish choice of hipsters everywhere. Unless the President wants to start wearing flannel shirts, jeans three sizes too small, and grow a hippie beard he should lay off the PBR. Of course the real irony of PBR is that it's one of the first outsourced beers, where the people that brewed it were laid off and the work sent to another brewery. Not the message a pro-labor President wants to send.

I'll agree with the Sam Adams and Kona Longboard suggestions though. I'd like to throw in a great summer beer from a state hard hit by the recession. Bell's Oberon Ale from Kalamazoo, MI is great. One of my friends describes it as the beer that Blue Moon wishes it could be.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):
decision of Barack Obama to serve Bud Light at his little informal get together at the White House

Even Coors would be a much better choice.

planespotting

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 5):
I think PBR would have been a terrible idea. First, it's the stylish choice of hipsters everywhere.

I know it, but I'm pretty sure most folks still think of PBR as an un-hip, working class beer. Whenever I think of PBR, I think of one of the bars from my hometown and a guy named Joe, who only drinks PBR in cans. Joe has a huge beard, wears a PBR hat, and is a large, burly man who works in a factory. With that image, it's ard to think of PBR as a hipster brand, ya know?

LH459

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Quoting Racko (Reply 1):
I would have gone German or Czech. No risk of being associated with anything particular in the US and tastes better.

I have to disagree. German and Czech beers do not travel well. They invariably taste AWFUL by the time they reach the US. I'm German myself, so I know the diffference!
That said, there are so many better choices than Bud Light! Sam Adams would've made sense, or even better, Harpoon!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

iflyatldl

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Supposedly, Prof. Gates doesn't even like beer....
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

HOMER71

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 pm

If it's going to be Bud Light, then we need to have a "Real Men of Genius" spot....
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

planespotting

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 11):
If it's going to be Bud Light, then we need to have a "Real Men of Genius" spot....

Oh man ...

Real Men of Genius ...

Today, we salute you, Mr. "accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy."

*Mr accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy*

Usually, you're an eloquent speaker with an eye for fairness and justice. But not, apparently, when a friend of yours may or may not have been racially profiled.

*Is that guy breaking into someone's house?*

Sure, you're all about post-racial attitudes, and your election to the highest office signaled a new period of racial politics in the United States.

*Ooooh the first black president*

I can't think of any better way to dignify your office and promote racial harmony than by saying a local police department acted "stupidly" when arresting a friend for disorderly conduct.

*I put my foot in my mouth*

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh Mender-of-Racial-Fences. We don't think you're racist, but remember, it's best to think before you speak."

*Mr. accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy.*

KSYR

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 12):
Oh man ...

Real Men of Genius ...

Today, we salute you, Mr. "accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy."

*Mr accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy*

Usually, you're an eloquent speaker with an eye for fairness and justice. But not, apparently, when a friend of yours may or may not have been racially profiled.

Sure, you're all about post-racial attitudes, and your election to the highest office signaled a new period of racial politics in the United States.

I can't think of any better way to dignify your office and promote racial harmony than by saying a local police department acted "stupidly" when arresting a friend for disorderly conduct.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh Mender-of-Racial-Fences. We don't think you're racist, but remember, it's best to think before you speak."

*Mr. accidentally stepped into a local dispute he didn't know much about and made it worse, guy.*

Classic!!!

Personally, I think they all should have enjoyed 40s of Colt 45, but that's just me.  Silly

us330

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Miller High Life would have been the better choice--watch the commercials and you'd see why. Of course, some loony tune on the far right would manage to accuse Obama of being a secret french-loving aristocrat who wants to sell the country to Europe because of Miller High Life's slogan that it is "the champagne of beers."

Bud Light--America's best piss-flavored water with a hint of alcohol.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0...eers-obama-gates-cro_n_247392.html

According to this article it was more than just Bud Light - while the President went for Bud Light, Professor Gates opted for Red Stripe and Sergeant Crowley went for a Blue Moon.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

LTU932

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Why in God's name Bud Light? Why didn't they have a Carlsberg, or German beer (anything except Warsteiner)? Or was this a campaign to show that they support US brewed beer only, for the sake of the economy?

[Edited 2009-07-29 15:54:47]

sw733

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):
there's very little pretentiousness associated with them.

Or flavor, so good choice  thumbsup  Wink

boeingfever777

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 14):
Sergeant Crowley went for a Blue Moon.

LMAO... Serious?

And Budlight... YUCK! I don't even drink and that is nasty. It's summer Mr. President, go with Bud Light Lime.  rotfl 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

deltairlines

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 am

I understand the desire for an American-brewed beer to be served at the White House - that's been a tradition for quite some time now.

But Bud Light? Really poor decision. There are hundreds of fabulous American microbreweries that actually make an enjoyable beer - not one that you drink to get drunk. Something from the Boston area, be it Sam Adams, Harpoon, Ipswich Brewing Co., something from Chicago, or something else (I'm sure any brewery in the US could have a case of beer to the White House within 24 hours if the President of the United States requested it) - so many great American choices out there - no need to go with one of the Big Three, who produce quantity over quality.

Sabena332

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:24 am

He probably chose Bud because it is THE American beer, and he probably chose the light version for "promoting" something like: "Not too much beer, folks".

Professor Gates opted for Red Stripe

Not bad! Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

fxramper

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
Hey if he wanted to give Chicago respect he would have chose Pabst!

checkmark   rotfl   yes 

Sergeant Crowley went for a Blue Moon

Chicks drink Blue Moon; with an orange slice no less.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 15):
Why didn't they have a Carlsberg, or German beer

Cause Obama isn't Merkel.  Yeah sure

Quoting Boeingfever777 (Reply 17):
go with Bud Light Lime.

or...

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 19):
Not bad!

yuck 

Where is that hereditary taste for beer my friend?

tommy767

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 am

He picked BUD LIGHT and not BUD LIGHT LIME?!?!?! WHY!!!!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

san747

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 am

Corona is the beer to just chill and relax with, and I'd hardly say that's a "pretentious" beer. If we're staying American, then I'd definitely agree with a Sam Adams.
Scotty doesn't know...

LTU932

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:27 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 19):
He probably chose Bud because it is THE American beer, and he probably chose the light version for "promoting" something like: "Not too much beer, folks".

I bet you would have gotten Obama to get a keg of either Fiege or Krombacher Weizen.  Wink

Quoting FXramper (Reply 20):
Cause Obama isn't Merkel.

What does Merkel have to do with this? Hell, for all I know, Angie doesn't even drink beer.

Quoting San747 (Reply 22):
Corona is the beer to just chill and relax with, and I'd hardly say that's a "pretentious" beer.

From what I was told, isn't Corona also considered piss?

san747

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):

Quoting San747 (Reply 22):
Corona is the beer to just chill and relax with, and I'd hardly say that's a "pretentious" beer.

From what I was told, isn't Corona also considered piss?

Well I base my opinions on the quality of beer (personally) on two things- taste, and whether I would drink it to get drunk.

Bud Light- not fantastic taste, but I wouldn't feel guilty drinking 5 of them per hour and getting drunk. Same thing with beers like Coors, PBR, MGD, etc.

Corona- I like a lot (maybe others don't) but I wouldn't dream of drinking a shitload of them all at once to get wasted. Same thing with beers like Heineken, Sam Adams, Newcastle, etc.

Plus, a 12-pack of Corona usually costs at least $16, whereas if I look at the right place, I can get a 30-pack of Bud Light for the exact same price.
Scotty doesn't know...

GuitrThree

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:20 am

It's the White House.

Don't you think as they sat down they could be asked what they would like? I mean, they serve $100/lb Kobe Beef on Wednesdays... I think they probably have a selection of brew's to choose from!

If not, Obama needs to focus on this issue!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

sw733

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 am

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 21):
He picked BUD LIGHT and not BUD LIGHT LIME?!?!?! WHY!!!!

Because he's straight?  duck 

L-188

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 am

I drank a Bud light at the Elks club over the 4th...nasty....but I got a "wounded warrier" pint glass with it with most of the proceeds going to that group, so I will call it worth it.

But dammit, if you want a make-up beer at least go with Alaska Amber.

But I will give the professor credit at least he went with what I call a regional beer.

Tried it myself. Not may favorite, but it ain't Bud Light with......might as well drink water.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

asuflyer05

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:56 am

Where in DC can you pick up Wailua Wheat?

futurepilot16

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 am

You know what, Glenn Beck ( who else?  Yeah sure ) called him a racist today. I'm surprised Rush Limbaugh hasn't come out and trash him for choosing the nations largest beer corporation, rather than support a small business beer company.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

HOMER71

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:14 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 11):
Real Men of Genius ...

Awesome...

Awesome...  bigthumbsup 
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

garnetpalmetto

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:40 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 28):

Where in DC can you pick up Wailua Wheat?

No clue, but I just assumed that if you can get it in Raleigh, NC you could find it in Washington, DC.

baroque

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:18 am

As long as he does not end up sadder but wiser.

tsaord

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:30 am

The things people talk about lol. The type of beer obama and company will drink is subject to debate is it? America doesn't want to fix itself is that is all people are worried about.

Give me a long island and call it a day.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Alias1024

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 am

All this talk of beer is making me thirsty. I'm heading to the fridge to grab a bottle of Fat Tire. You all have a good night.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Dreadnought

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:09 am

Notice how I can tie in this issue with Obamacare:

I find it disconcerting that Obama is basically forcing Bud Light on these guys. Couldn't he have simply stocked the fridge with 3 or 4 different beers and maybe a few soft drinks? Surely the White House catering staff could organize a few choices? Or is Obama continuing his control-mania?
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:22 am

Sam Adams Summer Ale

checkmark  Sam Adams - the only redeeming quality in Boston.  wink   duck 

BTW, I picked up a couple Alaska Ambers today. Can't wait to get them home and have them.  Smile

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 11):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

WIN!  bigthumbsup 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

na

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:57 am

He´s been to many countries now and serves American beer, and a mediocre one, and that even from the biggest player? Poor decision. If he would serve the REAL Budweiser from the Czech Republic and not the cheap nameclone he would show some taste. Or if he would choose a small, better brand from the US at least to show he´s not only looking at the big players.

Anyway, this is a typical summertime non-event.

Revelation

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Sergeant Crowley went for a Blue Moon

Ironic, since it's the name of a strip club about an hour from Boston...

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
Notice how I can tie in this issue with Obamacare:

I find it disconcerting that Obama is basically forcing Bud Light on these guys. Couldn't he have simply stocked the fridge with 3 or 4 different beers and maybe a few soft drinks? Surely the White House catering staff could organize a few choices? Or is Obama continuing his control-mania?

Geez, can't you read? So willing to have a go at Obama, you blow right by the facts...

According to this article it was more than just Bud Light - while the President went for Bud Light, Professor Gates opted for Red Stripe and Sergeant Crowley went for a Blue Moon.

See, we have "beer democracy" at the White House.

I can see how Bud Light fits into Obama's character: he's a pretty trim guy, and so he probably worries about weight. Also he's a populist, and like it or not, Bud Lite is the best selling beer in the US.

If it were Clinton it'd be a Heineken, since Bill was always ready to grab a Heiney!  Smile
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

max550

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Good to see the media focusing on the important things.

Definitely would be my choice. Heck, it's even better than neutral ground because he definitely needs some help in that part of the state.
I can't blame him for the Bud Light though, Yuengling can be pretty filling. If I had a team of personal chefs I wouldn't be filling up on beer.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):

What guys? Gates and Crowley? They got to choose, they are having Red Stripe and Blue Moon.

dc9northwest

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 pm

This has done it. I mean, really, BEER? How horrible.

I was still giving Obama a chance to prove himself. I mean, I like the fact that someone who used recreational drugs can still become president in the US, I do...

But the thought to serve beer at a get-together. This has absolutely done it. Oh, President Obama, you have failed your electorate!!! Can you imagine how rowdy this will get? I mean, seriously, let's hope there'll still be a White House the day after... And it being still white and not yellow.

Now, really, what's issue here, exactly? I hate beer, I'd much rather have the option of drinking a soft drink (seeing how ice tea in the US is similar to rat poison), but... so what? Everyone on the street drinks shit beer, now they're bringing it to the White House.

Revelation

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 39):
Good to see the media focusing on the important things.

Like it or not, a big factor in who you vote for is their character, and one reason Obama won big is that he has character.

I think this is a splendid thing.

Suppose you had two friends who were having a squabble, and you invited them over to your house for a beer to talk things over, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Especially if you had their favorite beers cold and ready to go?

It's good that he DOESN'T abandon everything else when he focuses on an issue like health care, and indeed race relations in this country are very important.

The man is making a difference. I know that bothers the hell out of some people, but that's his job, and I think he's doing well.

us330

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Chicks drink Blue Moon; with an orange slice no less.

Blue Moon is a poor man's Hoegarden

planespotting

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 34):
All this talk of beer is making me thirsty.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

max550

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 41):
It's good that he DOESN'T abandon everything else when he focuses on an issue like health care, and indeed race relations in this country are very important.

The man is making a difference. I know that bothers the hell out of some people, but that's his job, and I think he's doing well.

I agree with you. The problem I have is with the media, not Obama. I think it's great he's getting these guys together for a beer, but I don't think it's the most important thing for the media to be covering right now. He did a press conference on health care and all we've heard about since then is the Gates question. I think the country would be better off if we had a discussion on health care rather than what beer the president chooses.

I may not agree with him on what beer to drink, but does it really matter at all? Everyone likes different kinds of beer, that's why there are hundreds or thousands of choices. Sure, Bud Light tastes like water, but if that's what the guy likes who am I to say he should drink something else?

D L X

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Why is their choice of beers news?

planespotting

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 44):
I may not agree with him on what beer to drink, but does it really matter at all?

Exactly - this is just a fun little thread that hasn't turned into ultra-partisan wind blowing. Kudos to all!

Revelation

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:05 pm

The problem I have is with the media, not Obama. I think it's great he's getting these guys together for a beer, but I don't think it's the most important thing for the media to be covering right now.

Sure, but that battle has been fought and lost a long time ago. The part of the media dedicated to "hard news" has been shrinking for the last 10-20 years or so. I knew the gig was up when the local TV news started running "entertainment" segments.

The media is struggling to stay relevant, and more people will be talking at the water cooler about Obama's beer choice rather than health care. In fact I've already had one such conversation already today involving four co-workers. No one said knock it off, we really should be talking about health care instead.

D L X

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:17 pm

I think the country would be better off if we had a discussion on health care rather than what beer the president chooses.

Indeed. Dylan Ratigan was upset about that earlier this week (before he followed the rest of the media into talking about Gates) saying that he'd love to talk about health care more, but it doesn't get ratings. Understandable -- insurance is about the most boring topic ever, until you need it.

Dreadnought

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 38):
Geez, can't you read? So willing to have a go at Obama, you blow right by the facts...

Quoting Max550 (Reply 39):
What guys? Gates and Crowley? They got to choose, they are having Red Stripe and Blue Moon.

Jeez, lighten up. I was just having a little fun with a complete non-issue. Who cares which beer they choose, and I don't bitch when someone invites me for a drink and he doesn't have more than one brand available.

Personally I like Bud Light. Anything but Miller.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.