joffie

Woman Gets Degree - Sues Uni - Cant Get Job

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:27 am

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/845...-graduate-sues-college-for-tuition

Its just amazing. With the problems you guys are having in America, Uni never guaranteed anyone a job..

fridgmus

RE: Woman Gets Degree - Sues Uni - Cant Get Job

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am

Damn! Just when you thought you've seen it all!  hissyfit 

Got a question for anyone out there, this woman got an IT degree, what's the job situation look like for recent IT grads?

Thanks,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

CrimsonNL

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 am

While I can understand her fustration, sue your school because YOU fail to get hired? I don't know anything about this girl but the biggest factor in getting hired is yourself! You can have all the degree's you want but if you fail to make a good impression you wont get hired! What's wrong with those people!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Revelation

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Not to mention this won't look good on her resume....
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

TristarAtLCA

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 3):

Just what I was thinking....'Are you the Trina Thompson who sued your school.......yeah....ok, thanks for coming. Bye'

I thought graduates where supposed to be smart!
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Quoting Joffie (Thread starter):
Uni never guaranteed anyone a job..

It would depend on exactly what the course director/person who got her to sign up told her. Just because it doesn't guarantee you a job doesn't mean that some sort of wild claim wasn't made by the University.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

casinterest

Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 2):

She is going to have a hard time getting hired, especially given that she takes no responsbility for her own condition.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

EMBQA

Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Yea, I quit my old career at 27 and went back to school full time to enter aviation and had $400 in my wallet and a new car payment. School was 40hrs a week, I worked 30+ hours a week so I could pay bills and eat, I studied and eneded up as an honors graduate and could not find a job for 2 years after graduation. What did I do..? Not sue anyone... I went back to school...did all of the above ALL OVER AGAIN and bettered my resume and was hired even before graduation. Trust me, after all that hard work the first time going to work retail at Sears was demoralizing. But I refused to get derailed on my goals.

When I was laid off for several months after Sept 2001... I did not sue anyone. I took a job where I was taking home what I was getting taxed before, but I kept a roof over my head, paid my bills and kept my tummy full.....and oh yea, in this period of time my Dad died and my girlfriend walked out on me. Sorry Trina......Sometimes life hands you not what you were expecting and you need to push through it to reach your goals....

[Edited 2009-08-03 07:37:52]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AirframeAS

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 pm

How can this affect her resume? She hasn't done anything bad that would make her resume look terrible.

Remember what a resume contains.....
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Superfly

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 pm

I guess she is unaware of this global economic recession that is going on at the moment. She is shooting herself in the foot and blacklisting herself before she even had a chance at a career.
Sounds like she'd be better off as a career student.
Bring back the Concorde

steeler83

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 7):
I quit my old career at 27 and went back to school full time to enter aviation and had $400 in my wallet and a new car payment. School was 40hrs a week, I worked 30+ hours a week so I could pay bills and eat, I studied and eneded up as an honors graduate and could not find a job for 2 years after graduation. What did I do..? Not sue anyone... I went back to school...did all of the above ALL OVER AGAIN and bettered my resume and was hired even before graduation.

I sure hope I can be as lucky as you... I"m about to finish graduate school in the field of regional planning and GIS. All I get from hiring managers (these are entry-level jobs, mind you) are either nothing, or "we're looking for someone who better suits our needs." Personally, I think they're full of it, but what can I do about it besides to do what I can to improve my resume. Apparently, my GIS background does not qualify me to do GIS somehow.

Hello?! I am in the field of nursing here! I spend 8 hours a day lifting people and performing rather nasty duties. People often ask me how the hell I ended up where I am at. Well, it's because of the job market, and for some reason the HR managers are not interested in interviewing me, not even for an entry level position. Each day for me, I get more and more depressed, but like the rest of us, I cannot do anything about it. True, I do have a job, and at this point a job is a job, but I want to be happy with what I do, and right now I am miserable...

Now, you really want to hear something... How about Careerbuilder.com wanting me to pay $150 to have my resume sent out to a number of different recruiters in my area in my selective field of study... Now THAT is beyond wrong IMO... Not to mention, a HUGE waste of money considering how things have gone for me with my job search...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Springbok747

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Most universities make wild claims. In fact when I wanted to do my Master's, one uni here had said their graduates have a '100% record of finding employment'. Yeah right..what kind of employment? Were they employed in a field related to their studies..or were they flipping burgers at Maccas? Well it turned out 4 students with MS degrees were flipping burgers.
But then again you can't really blame the uni, so this girl is taking things a bit too far. I can understand her frustration though.. I never found a suitable job after almost looking for 1yr, thats why I decided to get back to studying.
אני תומך בישראל

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Just when I thought people couldn't get any dumber.....this country needs CHANGE allright...let's reinvent our court system to avoid stupid shit like this
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

steeler83

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 11):
But then again you can't really blame the uni, so this girl is taking things a bit too far. I can understand her frustration though.. I never found a suitable job after almost looking for 1yr, thats why I decided to get back to studying.

Oh yeah... It's beyond frusterating, but I do not think sueing your school is the answer. Hell, her field might require an advanced degree. Mine does, and I am more than half-way through it with a respectable 3.61 GPA. I'm still trying to find a job as I posted above, and I still cannot. Either they want someone who is not still in school, as in graduate school in my case, or for some bizarre reason I'm not what they're looking for...

Believe me, I am very frusterated. The job I have now was more or less a promotion from my last job, and it's not all it was cracked up to be...

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 12):
Just when I thought people couldn't get any dumber.....this country needs CHANGE allright...let's reinvent our court system to avoid stupid shit like this

Good luck with that. The way our courts system is, they should replace the Supreme Court Building with a massive circus tent! Eh, while they're at it, the same with the Capitol -- they're nothing more than a bunch of clowns in expensive suits!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 13):
Mine does, and I am more than half-way through it with a respectable 3.61 GPA. I'm still trying to find a job as I posted above, and I still cannot.

And this moron thinks her 2.7 GPA should give her anything she wants...hell, a 2.7 GPA only proves that you didn't pay attention in school
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

petertenthije

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 8):
How can this affect her resume?

Not her resume as such, unless she is stupid enough to put this on the resume under the "hobbies and interests" section. But these days a lot of employers will check google or facebook or whatever to find out what kind of person they are hiring. This story will no doubt show up quite high in the search results for at least for the next few weeks/months. Would you hire her after reading she sued her college?
Attamottamotta!

steeler83

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 14):
And this moron thinks her 2.7 GPA should give her anything she wants...hell, a 2.7 GPA only proves that you didn't pay attention in school

Uh... actually that's about what I got the first time around in school... but ouch!! Heck, at least I did something about mine... I altimately went back and rounded out my education as a geographer. I got a 3.2 the first semester, and then the final one, I went out with a bang -- earned a 4.0 to close out my undergraduate studies. The rest is history...

In her case, ouch!! She's an IT major? I could see if it were a science major, but jeez...

Granted, I think that figure of 2.7 is pure speculation. For all we know, she could have graduated with a 4.0 (granted that is incredibly unlikely). I know of someone who graduated with a 3.8 and they couldn't find anything. Frankly, it's the job market. Look around. The only thing happening is people getting laid off. It's all over the papers that college recruiting is down 22% from last year.

It's the economy. Granted there are stronger signs that the economy is making a comeback, but I think it will still be another 6 months or so before jobs start growing again. That was even on Good Morning America or some other morning news show this morning as a matter of fact... I was listening in as I assisted senior citizens with their daily living tasks...

Springbok747

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 13):
Either they want someone who is not still in school, as in graduate school in my case, or for some bizarre reason I'm not what they're looking for...

Tell me about it. I am so sick of getting emails that start with 'thank you for your recent application but unfortunately...' I really don't understand what these people are looking for. In my case I have a MS in Medical Biotechnology and an MBA in marketing. I have a fair bit of work experience, but I had not been working for 8 months (when I was doing my MBA). So yeah there is a gap of 8 months between jobs..but other than that I think my 6.2 GPA (out of 7) and my work experience should be enough..but apparently not. I've stopped looking for jobs now..as I will be busy for the next 3 years..and at the end at least I know I'll get a job (as this country desperately needs doctors).
אני תומך בישראל

steeler83

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 17):
In my case I have a MS in Medical Biotechnology and an MBA in marketing. I have a fair bit of work experience, but I had not been working for 8 months (when I was doing my MBA).

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 17):
but other than that I think my 6.2 GPA (out of 7) and my work experience should be enough..

Two MASTERS degrees?? Oh man, I feel your pain!! Apparently your academic system works on a 7 point system. I'd say 6.2 is pretty darned impressive. They're in need of doctors where you're at and yet they turn you away...

To me, that's just like a starving hobo turning down an offer for a free hamburger because it's not fillet mignon...

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 16):
Granted, I think that figure of 2.7 is pure speculation

Nope, she's proudly boasting it:

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/

steeler83

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:09 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 19):
Nope, she's proudly boasting it:

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

Thanks for the link proving that she's boasting about her "academic excellence..."

I hate to break it to her, but there are employers who won't even look at candidates like her unless they have a 3.0 or better, which apparently, she does not...

Superfly

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 am

solid attendance record.

Attendance record?!?!?!?!  Wow!
What does she want?
A gold star sticker to put on her lunch pale?
Hardly any of my college professors took attendance.
This lady is cookoo!
Bring back the Concorde

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:24 am

Hey, I paid plenty of attention....when I went to class.... Smile

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):
I hate to break it to her, but there are employers who won't even look at candidates like her unless they have a 3.0 or better, which apparently, she does not...

Hell, I've seen a 3.5 GPA under the "suggested qualifications" or whatever section on job descriptions.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 16):
Uh... actually that's about what I got the first time around in school... but ouch!!

Yeah, me too. Finally finished my bachelors earlier this summer - ended up with a 2.80, thanks to a couple years I wish I could forget, that then led to me taking a few years off of school.

But hey, I've gotten some great work experience during those years off - and that directly led to me getting the job I have now (which I got before I even finished school).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

L-188

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 am

My GPA was 2.8-2.9 I think.

When I factor in that I was working full time because I wasn't blessed with rich parents and most of the aviation classes I had where graded on 7 point instead of 10 point scales I don't feel so bad.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:33 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 23):
When I factor in that I was working full time because I wasn't blessed with rich parents

Same here. I had to work my a$$ off and didn't have rich parents to bankroll my education. I still ended up with a 3.3 overall GPA.
Honestly, does anyone ever care?
None of my jobs asked for transcripts or cared about my GPA in college.
Bring back the Concorde

us330

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:43 am

Employers and firms have drastically scaled back recruitment at some top schools (ie the Ivies)that directly feed into the New York market. Any employer that is likely to care about academic credentials would give more weight to the 2.7 gpa (relatively unimpressive) and wouldn't give a rats arse about a solid attendance record (what's next? is she going to claim that she has a certification from her professors that she was not only in class, but she was awake too? or even that she raised her hand on occasion?) .

The recession has hit the New York job market particularly hard. Top law firms are laying off entire classes of JDs, and unemployed MBAs are a dime a dozen. For her chosen vocation, IT, firms are trying to cut costs as much as possible, and are often outsourcing to India, keeping only a skeleton crew of IT professionals for physical repairs and tasks that can't be outsourced.

As cynical as this makes me sound, I am not surprised that a law suit like this happened--my shock is that it wasn't a helicopter parent that filed it.

Carlisle

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:02 pm

I love how America works. You can't make money because no one will hire you so the easiest solution for a lot of Americans to do is to file a lawsuit! (There could never be enough lawyers in this country...)

I agree with CrimsonNL, re: impressions. It shows me what kind of impressions this individual could have made during interviews even more so judging the fact that she now wants to sue them!

I also agree with Fridgmus, she should have checked the post-graduation job acquirement rates before even obtaining the degree. Go figure with some people!  sarcastic 

Cheers,
Carlisle
"CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (Delta)

Boeing74741R

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:27 pm

I can't believe what I was reading in that link. I really couldn't.

Universities will make wild claims such as 99% employment just to get students to attend their universities and do a degree. What the student does once they graduate is entirely up to them.

It really gets on my wick that some graduates think that the recipe to career success and getting a job is to get a first class degree and top grades in all the qualifications they hold. Well I'm sorry to say, it's a load of cow faeces. The most successful graduates are those who would've done more than just a degree and possess valuable work experience as well as other CV-enhancing things.

People who may excel academically could be just that, really good academically, and once put into a real life situation they wouldn't know where to start.

Also considering that there is a recession on, she should know better that organisations are cutting back on recruitment and only picking the very best out there.

Put it this way...

You have one job going and two shortlisted candidates. One student has a First Class honours with an excellent academic record. The other has a 2:1 and slightly lower grades but possesses work experience and can react appropriately to real life situations.

Who would you employ?

futurepilot16

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:33 pm

This has absolutely no standing in court. The way I see it, it's an open and shut case. $70,000 because you fail to get a job? That's like me going to Mcdonalds, ordering a whole bunch of food, eating it, then going to the cashier and requesting my money back because it it tasted bad. Oh and did I forget to mention that they have a no refund policy there? So then I decide to sue them. Absolute crap. There should be a limit in this country on the idiotic lawsuits that are presented.

There are so many people all over this country with much better resumes than hers, who can't even get a job. I mean like people who are qualified to be CEO's of corporations. So she needs to stop crying and trying to find an easy way out, get off her  butthead  and GO FIND A JOB.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

steeler83

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 22):
Yeah, me too. Finally finished my bachelors earlier this summer - ended up with a 2.80, thanks to a couple years I wish I could forget, that then led to me taking a few years off of school.

Yep, me too! Primarily my freshman year I'd like to just bury and forget even happened. I had the absolute worst roomates anyone could have! Plus, I had a professor who contradicted what she taught. She'd teach one thing in class, then completely contradict that on the exams...

Plus, I really wasn't in the right field anyway my first 2 years...

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 28):
There are so many people all over this country with much better resumes than hers, who can't even get a job.

I'd say I'm one of them...

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 28):
I mean like people who are qualified to be CEO's of corporations.

Ok, not quite that, but still, if I'd have to compete against her, I think I'd be in much better shape.

And still, someone else who'd be a better fit would be selected over me, which has been my case for at least 3 years now...

pacificjourney

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

This chick is pissing into the wind with this legal action and should just pull her finger out and get on with life BUT it does raise an interesting issue.

Others have already noted that Uni's use the supposed job/salary getting abilites of thier degrees as a recruiting tool. Average starting salaries etc of graduates are touted to clearly imply that school and/or degree A is superior to schools and/or degrees B, C, D etc for that reason. This is a very open and common practice in the US particularly.

Now if a doctor promises you a certain result - less pain, freer movement or whatever - from having a surgical proceedure and you pay the $$$ and don't get the result then you're going to ask why.

This girl - and most others - studied here to get herself a better job and more money as she was no doubt lead to believe would happen.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

sw733

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Nah, come on, we all pad our resumes...she can call it "legal experience"  Smile

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 18):
Two MASTERS degrees?? Oh man, I feel your pain!!

I'll end up having a Master's in Aero Engineering and an MBA...it's painful indeed!

Boeing74741R

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 30):
This girl - and most others - studied here to get herself a better job and more money as she was no doubt lead to believe would happen.

A degree opens up more possibilities to those who hold one over those who don't. But it isn't to say that it's a given it will.

As I said earlier, it is up to the graduate to seek the job and do what it takes to make them appealing to employers. A good degree and an excellent academic background is not enough to cut the mustard in the world of work - a point never more proven than in this recession - and to really stand out you have to enhance your CV with other items such as work experience and skills such as first aid.

I'm presuming the woman in question didn't bother going to any of the fairs that no doubt took place at her university when she started as a fresher giving her opportunities to join clubs/societies, which not only enriches her university experience, they no doubt give their members to get involved and be elected into an exec position within clubs/societies where you're helping to run. This will have helped her gain valuable experience in the skills that employers are looking for in graduates which she would be able to them use in practice and in real life situations......unless she only went to such fairs to claim the vast amount of freebies they give out such as free pens.

babybus

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 11):
'100% record of finding employment'

They probably meant within your lifetime.  Wink

There are some courses out there that do promise all sorts of things. They normally get some really naff company to give you a really naff job at the end of the course to fulfill their side of the contract.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

us330

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 27):
You have one job going and two shortlisted candidates. One student has a First Class honours with an excellent academic record. The other has a 2:1 and slightly lower grades but possesses work experience and can react appropriately to real life situations.

Who would you employ?

Depends on the company. Some would prefer the experience, others would see the person with academic honors as smart, and a quick learner, and thus, easily trainable. While the former would be able to come in right away, the latter might need more help at the start, but could have greater upside potential.

BMI727

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 29):
Plus, I had a professor who contradicted what she taught. She'd teach one thing in class, then completely contradict that on the exams...

I had a professor who gave a really interesting  Yeah sure lecture on Christianity in China. Problem was this was a calculus class. Still escaped my first year with a 3.0 though.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

steeler83

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 35):

From what I read, that lecture must have been about as interesting as a five-hour-long speech by Ben Stein, or perhaps I missed the mark with that one and something else was implied there.  Smile

In any event... why in the hell would she bring that up in an advanced math class? Eh, reminds me of a foreign language teacher I had in high school. All she did was talk about the times she went to all these exotic places...

yowza

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 pm

I looked up the curriculum for her college's IT program: http://www.monroecollege.edu/academi...ationtechnology/degreerequirements

Frankly I'm not surprised she isn't getting hired.This "degree" is a mish mash of Oracle and MS
configuration classes. No focus in either space. If you're gonna be an SA/ pure infrastructure person at a serious company this will not have taught you nearly enough. If you're looking to become a developer learning rudimentary VB and C++ is hardly putting you ahead of the heaps of skilled developers who just got canned.

Apologies to any members who are graduates of this program.

YOWza

BMI727

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 36):
From what I read, that lecture must have been about as interesting as a five-hour-long speech by Ben Stein,

It was, and it ended with "well, I guess we better do some calculus" when there were about 5 minutes left in the class. Apparently this guy was some sort of amateur theologian.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 36):
Eh, reminds me of a foreign language teacher I had in high school. All she did was talk about the times she went to all these exotic places...

My Spanish teacher during high school was nuts. She decided that one good way to learn Spanish words was to play bingo, and get the education by making the cards ourselves. So being the genius that I am, I left a row blank until the game started and filled in as I went. I did this for the whole class and she never caught on.

During my sophomore year her husband died which was sad, but after my junior year she left to be with a guy she met on eHarmony.

Her replacement was even worse...
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?