ozglobal

58 Percent Of GOP Not Sure/Doubt Obama Born In US

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:27 pm

My American fellow a.netters are going to have to help me out here. Even though I went to school in Washington DC as a kid and know something of US culture, even though I saw American voters return Bush after the cat was totally out of the bag on Iraq, this one is beyond the powers of my political imagination. How on God's earth can so many Americans with access to the internet, cable TV and any other number of communication channels arrive at the conclusion that their elected president was not born in their own country?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt...dont_beleive_Obama_born_in_US.html

BTW, for what it's worth, here is a link to a scanned copy of his actual birth certificate.

http://features.csmonitor.com/politi...rs-rise-of-dc-conspiracy-theories/
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Tugger

RE: 58 Percent Of GOP Not Sure/doubt Obama Born In US

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Remember, we have people here who believe, I mean REALLY believe that we didn't go to the moon! And there is still a large contingent that are sure there was a second shooter and conspiracy involved in JFK's assassination.

It doesn't take much to get people to believe something if that's what they want to do. There are crazies everywhere. I laugh at the idiot who didn't deploy because he didn't believe President Obama was born a citizen of the USA and so wasn't his commander in chief, I guess he thought that everyone in the chain of command was also illegitimate. Since his service was strictly voluntary he wasn't obligated to go anyway. (He just didn't want to go and was scared to say so, which makes his dodge even more dishonorable, just admit it and don't go.)

Anyway, my point is that lots of people can disbelieve what every you present as fact. Even pictures, documents, statements, anything. It's sad but its true.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

dtwclipper

RE: 58 Percent Of GOP Not Sure/Doubt Obama Born In US

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Can we have the tin foil hats and the "Not this Sh%t again" pictures please!

Obama birthplace deniers lack reality
Conspiracy theorists a circus of extremism
http://www.freep.com/article/2009080...ma-birthplace-deniers-lack-reality

[Edited 2009-08-04 12:51:54]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

JakeOrion

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 1):
Remember, we have people here who believe, I mean REALLY believe that we didn't go to the moon! And there is still a large contingent that are sure there was a second shooter and conspiracy involved in JFK's assassination.

I'm going to take it up a step (by several thousand I mean):

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Sca~~~~~~~~~~ry~~~.

Quoting OzGlobal (Thread starter):

Just show the damn paper copy already. ALL of you on A.net say the Internet is a source of manipulative information, and we should take everything with a fine grain of salt. Now, all of a sudden when it comes to Birth Certificates, its 100% OK?

OK, so no one is allowed to question the validity of anything on the Internet anymore, period.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

MSNDC9

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 pm

How on God's earth can so many Americans with access to the internet, cable TV and any other number of communication channels arrive at the conclusion that their elected president was not born in their own country?

Not saying I agree with them, but in a nut shell - the media routinely lies to the public. They did it this weekend on the Sarah Palin divorce issue - a myth generated by a blogger for crying out loud which was gleefully regurgitated by several media outlets.

This same media is viewed majoritively as being in the tank for Obama.

End result - a large percentage of a given population won't buy it.

[Edited 2009-08-04 12:59:47]

ozglobal

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 3):

Just show the damn paper copy already. ALL of you on A.net say the Internet is a source of manipulative information, and we should take everything with a fine grain of salt. Now, all of a sudden when it comes to Birth Certificates, its 100% OK?

Not at all, but he had to supply this document to the electoral authorities in order to launch has candidacy. This is well known; plus here is a facsimile of said document. If it's fake, with all that is at stake, it should have been easy enough to prove by now!!!
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

n229nw

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:57 pm

How on God's earth can so many Americans with access to the internet, cable TV and any other number of communication channels arrive at the conclusion that their elected president was not born in their own country?

Unfortunately most people in most places are pretty easy to manipulate because they don't think for themselves and don't or can't think critically.Conspiracy theories are particularly attractive to people. I remember surveys that over 50% of Turks believed 9/11 was an inside job, for example.

Or look at the number of people who believe in Astrology, homeopathy, in a huge number of countries...

Basically, I'm appalled, but I can't say I'm surprised.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

max550

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 pm

It's been shown

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 4):
Not saying I agree with them, but in a nut shell - the media routinely lies to the public. They did it this weekend on the Sarah Palin divorce issue - a myth generated by a blogger for crying out loud.

They do, which is why they should back up their stories with evidence, like they have in this case. We've seen a birth certificate and announcement of birth in a newspaper, what more do you want.
There is nothing that would convince these people.

JakeOrion

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 5):
If it's fake, with all that is at stake, it should have been easy enough to prove by now!!!

Yes, by providing a paper copy. All of this will go away once people see the paper copy, that's all he has to do. Why is that so hard?
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

srbmod

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 2):
Can we have this tin foil hats an the Not this Sh%t again picture please!

While we're at it, I'll even throw in this one:

Considering the legs this matter has, it's definitely not going to go away anytime soon. Remember, there were folks questioning Sen. McCain's eligibility because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

My own feeling is that as long as one parent is a natural-born citizen of the United States, it should not even matter where a President was born, as to me, they are considered to be an American citizen by birth. While some countries (like the US) do consider a child born in their country to be a citizen of their country, they are not forced to take said citizenship.

max550

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 8):

Yes, by providing a paper copy. All of this will go away once people see the paper copy, that's all he has to do. Why is that so hard?

Here it is:
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html
Does that settle it?

Superfly

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm

58 Percent Of GOP

There is your answer right there.
Many in the GOP are Bible-thumping religious folks that get their information from their Pastors, other church members and that feller down the street.
They ain't in to all this new fangled stuff like the enternet & cable tayvee.  dopey 
Bring back the Concorde

JakeOrion

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 10):
Here it is:
Does that settle it?

Thank you! That's all I wanted. I'm done now.

dtwclipper

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 8):

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 5):
If it's fake, with all that is at stake, it should have been easy enough to prove by now!!!

Oh, and let us not foget about the birth announcements in the local papers or did he use the CIA's Atavachron to go back in time and fix that too. That goes against the prime directive too!

MSNDC9

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 13):
Oh, and let us not foget about the birth announcements in the local papers

At the time, those were automatically generated in Hawaii when a birth was reported. It didn't matter if the person was born in Hawaii or not, just that someone reported a live birth to the government. But that's beside the point.

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:22 pm

The answer to your question is simple. Because there are A LOT of racists in America that cannot accept the FACT that a politically progressive black man is the President of the United States.  yes 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Dreadnought

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 10):
Here it is:
Does that settle it?

Nobody seems to talk about the fact that that "birth certificate" was created in the past few years, using a laserjet. Where is the original, created and dated in 1961?

Look, I understand sometimes having to get a new Birth Cirtificate issued. But can they at least explain the case? Having a BC created for a candidate with Obama's popularity would be a simple thing to do with the right connections. Why does nobody even mention this? I'll bet this certificate is less than 2 or 3 years old.

Personally, I have always thought that he was born in the US and this is a non-issue. But showing this obviously non-original document without explanations just makes matters worse.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

MSNDC9

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 15):

Nice underhanded stereotyping there.  Yeah sure

futurepilot16

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Well, Oz, Americans, are idiots in a lot of cases. I heard people say the real reason is that the U.S. wants to complete the new world order, and Obama is a lot better to convince than McCain. I think a lot of these same Americans believe every U.S. presidential election in history has been rigged, they've come up with all kinds of excuses, now it's Obama's turn. My hope to you people in other countries is not to take most Americans too seriously. We actually have an ammunition shortage in this country right now because people are arming themselves in order to protect themselves from the gov't. They are morons, and should be ignored. This issue doesn't even anger me anymore, i've been hearing about it since a few days after 9/11 when people claimed the gov't planned it and still remains the biggest conspiracy theory in this country.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

GDB

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm

As stated, the basic lack of a reasonably intelligent adult person's power of reasoning is what strikes you.

These types are basically still young kids and not very bright ones.

The phrase 'cannot see the wood from the trees' comes to mind, the idea that someone who, from the early stages of his public life, up the political ladder, would have more and more of his background scrutinized, until getting to the place where, as in all cases, extremely detailed background checks are carried out for a Presidential Candidate.
Some might think this does not happen, it does, think about it, the person who has the authority to destroy much of human civilization by the fact that they and no one else, can authorize the release of the most destructive power in the world, the US nuclear weapons inventory.

Any Presidential candidate will probably be the most scrutinized person alive, but not just in public.

However, in many of the people who actually give any credence to this idea, could it be that they don't actually full believe, but that they want to believe their President is some kind of Islamic Manchurian Candidate .
The ones who believe or want to believe this stuff, are the ones who were most viscerally opposed to him, not just along party lines, policy, or any aspects of his public personality.
Just the idea of him , for some it's part of his background being so cosmopolitan for a US President, others his colour.
Add in the paranoia and fear, which it is, of anything not very familiar to them.
Never mind not traveling abroad, I bet quite a few never crossed their State Line.

I understood at least one GOP lawmaker, while not fully endorsing this stuff in public, brings it up in a sly way, thinks 'it should be looked at'.
(Like it hasn't been!)

Obama might well benefit from that, having some of his political opponents make such fools of themselves, which will only gain the approval of those who would never vote for Obama in a million years anyway.
Let's face it, Mrs Palin's sly comments at rallies last year, extolling the virtues of real Americans did not do her any good.
Neither did the images of some shouting 'kill him' or 'he's a terrorist' in the crowds, McCain of course had no time for such nonsense and said so, Palin however.......

michlis

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...y.htm

Lol, Jake. You're a brave man to cite alaska.net after DTW's gaff with the Sarah Palin "divorce" last weeked.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.

EA772LR

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 pm

IMHO, it's interesting that Obama has spent nearly $1,000,000.00 in litigation trying to "dodge" the release of personal records. Records that every other U.S. President has released. I like to think of Obama as the Affirmative Action President.

Quoting N229NW (Reply 6):
Unfortunately most people in most places are pretty easy to manipulate because they don't think for themselves and don't or can't think critically.

Yeah no kidding. Just look at who won the 2008 U.S. Presidential election. I was inline voting with a bunch of yahoos wearing Obama shirts who could barely speak plain English...but sure they know who they're voting for. You, as a citizen of this country, should have to take an exam to show that you are informed about the issues at hand and what's at stake.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 1):
And there is still a large contingent that are sure there was a second shooter and conspiracy involved in JFK's assassination.

Well this is probably one theory that could be true.

n229nw

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm going to take it up a step (by several thousand I mean):

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...y.htm

Sweeet. This is my favorite quote, showing their "scientific evidence" for why the earth is flat:

Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?

rotfl 
 rotfl 

rotfl 

rotfl 

rotfl 

Awesome understanding of gravity there people
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

GDB

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

Why? 18 years after JFK, Reagan was shot by a lone nut.
Thought it could get him into Jodie Foster's knickers, if only he knew....!
Some of the fall out from the infamous 'Manson Family' tried to get President Ford in the mid 70's.

So it seems that US Presidents are, always have been, most at risk from home grown nuts, not from some dark conspiracies domestic or foreign.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 pm

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 22):
IMHO, it's interesting that Obama has spent nearly $1,000,000.00 in litigation trying to "dodge" the release of personal records.

You know I often see that number bandied about on the 'net but I've yet to see a hard source that isn't the likes of WND, Free Republic, Right Wing Blogs-r-Us, etc. Do you have a source for this from a substantive news source?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Tugger

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 16):
Nobody seems to talk about the fact that that "birth certificate" was created in the past few years, using a laserjet. Where is the original, created and dated in 1961?

Look, I understand sometimes having to get a new Birth Cirtificate issued. But can they at least explain the case? Having a BC created for a candidate with Obama's popularity would be a simple thing to do with the right connections. Why does nobody even mention this? I'll bet this certificate is less than 2 or 3 years old.

Personally, I have always thought that he was born in the US and this is a non-issue. But showing this obviously non-original document without explanations just makes matters worse.

My understanding is that Hawaii digitized their birth records and destroyed the originals. If this is the case (and I have seen nothing disputing that) how could anyone sufficiently "prove" themselves to be US citizens in any state that does this?

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 22):
Yeah no kidding. Just look at who won the 2008 U.S. Presidential election. I was inline voting with a bunch of yahoos wearing Obama shirts who could barely speak plain English...but sure they know who they're voting for. You, as a citizen of this country, should have to take an exam to show that you are informed about the issues at hand and what's at stake.

But that would kill the entire "Deep South" political establishment! From the Dixiecrats to the Southern Republicans, the politicians of the region have depended on the illiteracy you are pointing out. "You don't have to know who to vote for, just vote for who I tell you to vote for."   
By the way, I don't know if I believe your story since Tennessee law prohibits anyone from displaying any campaign clothing or soliciting voters within 100 feet from the entrance to the polling place. You may only do so beyond a100 foot boundary. If you entered the polling place with a campaign hat on, you are allowed to vote only if you take off the hat and do not show it to anyone. If you have a campaign shirt on you are asked to immediately leave the polling place to go home and change. However, if you can cover up the shirt with a jacket so no one else can see it, then you will be allowed to vote.

I am basing this on your member profile showing your to be in Tennessee, which obviously may not be where you vote, so forgive me if I am in error.

Quoting GDB (Reply 25):
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

Why? 18 years after JFK, Reagan was shot by a lone nut.
Thought it could get him into Jodie Foster's knickers, if only he knew....!
Some of the fall out from the infamous 'Manson Family' tried to get President Ford in the mid 70's.

So it seems that US Presidents are, always have been, most at risk from home grown nuts, not from some dark conspiracies domestic or foreign.

See? I'm telling you, things like this can stick around forever. And as you can see it's not just American's.

Tugg

[Edited 2009-08-04 14:31:23]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MadameConcorde

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:23 pm

This whole thing should have been investigated before BHO was elected, not after.
There are more urgent matters that have to be taken care of it seems than a birth certificate.

If he was born at the Kapiolani Hospital in Honolulu, so much the better. If he was born in Mombasa, it will not make much difference either. He is the President of the United States with the job in the White House, one way or the other.

I am not one to judge. I was not there at the time and place where he was born.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

AGM100

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 17):
Nice underhanded stereotyping there.

Its not underhanded ..its about all they have to defend the President and his policies.

I believe Orielly has it right .... they want the issue to continue to marginalize the right wing and many are falling into the trap.

At this point I don't care where he was born ,what color his skin is or who is mother was... he is President .. and I am ideologically opposed to almost everything he has tried to do. I read his book .... like I am too all other left wing radicals .. I am opposition.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

DocLightning

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Do you have yours? I sure don't have mine. I have my passport as my ultimate proof that I am a U.S. Citizen.

I suppose that when I go back to Michigan in the autumn, I should figure out how to get a copy of my birth certificate. But really, 15 years after Barak Obama was born, I am sure it hadn't occurred to anyone to keep his birth certificate around in case he became the President.

There comes a point where the demands for proof keep changing so that satisfactory proof can never be provided. The U.S. Government, including the Courts, have decided what proof is acceptable to prove citizenship. Barak Obama has satisfied those rules. He has nothing to gain from producing an impossible array of documents for skeptics.

Thus, the question is, for practical purposes, closed. And what if he suddenly DID turn around and provide all the crazy forms of proof people are requesting? I have never heard of this sort of braying about any President before. McCain was born in Panama and the DNC made a public statement that they were not going to challenge his citizenship status since the Constitution does not declare that one must be born in the U.S. to be a "Natural Born Citizen."

I certainly can't provide the sort of documentation you are requiring of this man. If you really need my birth certificate, I'm going to have to go to the Michigan Secretary of State and get a new one.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 28):
At this point I don't care where he was born ,what color his skin is or who is mother was... he is President .. and I am ideologically opposed to almost everything he has tried to do. I read his book .... like I am too all other left wing radicals .. I am opposition.

This, AGM, is why you are on my RU list, as improbable as it may seem. It is because you don't hate the man. You hate what he does. I would spend my life opposing the very policies you support, but you have respect for others, and if your view of the world is different than mine, we at least have that in common.

Dreadnought is on my RU list for the same reason. Lest anyone, call me a biased Liberal. I very much enjoy engaging in debates with these two. If only more Conservatives were like they are.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stasisLAX

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 17):
Nice underhanded stereotyping there

Me and the editorial board of the Los Angeles Times (I know, the Times editors are communists, weak, unAmerican, blah, blah, blah).... but the point is that there are some Americans that feel the "birthers" are truly "racists" or worse.....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Superfly

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 27):
This whole thing should have been investigated before BHO was elected, not after.

It has been brought up MANY times before he was elected President.
Time and time again, it has been debunked.
Hawaii's Republican governor Linda Lingle even confirmed the legitimacy of his birth certificate. She has been considered a rising star in the Republican party and would have loved to be the one to bring down Barack Obama.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-07-27-obama-hawaii_N.htm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertificate.asp
Bring back the Concorde

racko

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 pm

I doubt that Barack Obama is male. He might have been misleading the public the whole time. Has anybody seen proof that he is?

What is he hiding?

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Where is the original, created and dated in 1961?

You don't need it. All you need is the birth certificate number.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DocLightning

Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Quoting Racko (Reply 32):

I doubt that Barack Obama is male. He might have been misleading the public the whole time. Has anybody seen proof that he is?

In fact, they have. He released medical records. Admittedly, I doubt he has a karyotype sitting around.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AGM100

Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
It is because you don't hate the man

Of course I dont hate the man ... I kind of feel sorry for him . He has been shot to the top by a small group of DNC operators who met in that office T. Dashal talked about in his interview. He was the chosen one .. and I am not sure he is prepared for it or being handled very well.

For example... the US economy is like a rocket sitting on the launch pad right now ... all he would need to do is go a little more to the right with some corporate tax cuts and put off the crazy left wing spending BS ... basically say no to Pelosi , Reid and the unions. The economy would blast off.

He is in a amazing situation. If he stays with the party line he is now on .. he will fail . If he goes more to the proven economic policies and it works .. he will be a god and headed for Rushmore. Its all about the economy . But we will see if he has the will to go head to head with those who put him there. One mans opinion

DocLightning

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:03 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 35):
Its all about the economy .

We agree there.

I also agree that his spending was way overboard, although in many ways, I am glad to see that there is at least stability occurring. And there are signs of life going on. All over, people are starting to get jobs. Finances are being re-sorted and people are moving around. We're all a bit shell-shocked, but I know lots of people who are getting jobs now.

Things will pick up. And then we can debate whether Obama helped it or hurt it.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

StarAC17

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:51 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 2):
Can we have the tin foil hats and the "Not this Sh%t again" pictures please!

I would say so but as this clip puts it, this will never go away unless everyone rational says to these nuts this is  redflag  and to STFU this will never go away. Bill Maher made a decent commentary last week about the crazy things that can easily be seen as the truth.

Clip Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4apBc87h5-A
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

AGM100

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:02 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 37):
Bill Maher

OK I give it to you .. he is right in what he is saying. The problem is that he never shut his yapper about President Bush... so basically he has no credibility. Now his guy is in , and he marginalizes the other side and plays the victim. What the hell does he want ... no criticism of his guy ? Just shivering legs and ..OH THANK YOU MR. PRESIDENT ....

Toughen up ya chumps ... we dealt with it for 8 years ..lets see if your guy can handle a little roughing up.

That said ... I sent emails to my representatives to get off of it .. let it go. We have plenty of good issues to fight over.

Gemuser

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:04 am

Don't know specifically about US states but in 1961, generally, in the English speaking world there is NO such thing as an "orginal" birth certificate. The details of the birth are entered in a "register" of births (a big book, hand written, in 1961). The birth certificate is a "certification" by the state that there is an entry in the register of births. If you look at the fine print you'll see that the certificate is doing just that. Follow the link in reply 10/16, second photo and you'll see those words "true copy or abstract of the record on file".

To have a "fake" birth certificate that would have to stand up to such intense public interest you would also have to have fake registsters, fake hospital records, etc, etc.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 26):
My understanding is that Hawaii digitized their birth records and destroyed the originals. If this is the case (and I have seen nothing disputing that) how could anyone sufficiently "prove" themselves to be US citizens in any state that does this?

While I have no knowledge of the Hawaii case I would be EXTREMLY suprised if this was the case. Having spent a decarde and a half as an archivist I'd be surprised if this happened for a number of legal and archival reasons, but you never know!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

StarAC17

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:05 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
OK I give it to you .. he is right in what he is saying. The problem is that he never shut his yapper about President Bush... so basically he has no credibility. Now his guy is in , and he marginalizes the other side and plays the victim. What the hell does he want ... no criticism of his guy ? Just shivering legs and ..OH THANK YOU MR. PRESIDENT

Not so fast on that one, Maher has been tough on Obama and taken heat from the left as well on his remarks. Clip Below (starting at 2:05)

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
Toughen up ya chumps ... we dealt with it for 8 years ..lets see if your guy can handle a little roughing up.

I think he can take it, but remember for basically all of Bush's first term any questioning of what he did due to the events of 9/11 was either not considered or that person was chastised for being unpatriotic. I will give you that his second term was lame duck.

Also republicans have to admit before hand that if Obama has to deal with a terrorist attack in the next 4 or even 8 years whatever the cause (god forbid). That you are going to blame him for it (not saying you personally will) and not unite behind him moving forward. Call the democrats what you want but they stood behind Bush until he started to mess things up.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

EA772LR

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:32 am

By the way, I don't know if I believe your story since Tennessee law prohibits anyone from displaying any campaign clothing or soliciting voters within 100 feet from the entrance to the polling place.

Correct, and we were at the Hermitage Library, and when we got just inside the door where the voting booths were, they were told to take their shirts of or come back another day.

I am basing this on your member profile showing your to be in Tennessee, which obviously may not be where you vote, so forgive me if I am in error.

No, you're absolutely right, and honestly I was a little surprised as this being my second presidential election to vote in, I was unaware of that law. Very interesting really.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

sv7887

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 am

Hi All,
For pete's sakes Obama is the President. He won fair and square, people need to get over that. As a conservative Republican I am embarrassed at those who continue to fan the flames over something so pointless.

I personally think he's a good guy, would love to have a beer with the guy but I don't agree with his policies.

I don't see the need to villainize the man, just make cogent arguments against his positions and be done with it. I gave the GOP fundraiser operator who called me shilling about "Evil LIberals" an earful a few days ago about the GOP showing little or no leadership. Being the party of "No" isn't going to get them anywhere. Give alternatives that make sense, not just blanket oppose everything he gets out there.

We saw enough of this nonsense with people painting Bush as Hitler and the devil. It's disappointing that the very people who complained about Bush's characterization are doing the same to Obama. It's stupid and classless.

With regards to the economy it's just the fact we're reaching the bottom. People are just celebrating the fact that the media hyped Depression never happened. It will take some time for households to reduce their insane levels of debt (note the increase in US household savings rates). Expect a slow recovery and hope to god no nutcase terrorist gets lucky.

-Sam

L-188

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 am

Oz did you happen to see who did the poll. That alone explains the results.

My personal feelings are that the lefties are trying to distract attention from Obama's nationalization of the US medical industry so they are dragging this back up and giving it legs.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:28 am

Just to play devil's advocate in all this and have some fun on a couple posts:

Oh, and let us not foget about the birth announcements in the local papers or did he use the CIA's Atavachron to go back in time and fix that too. That goes against the prime directive too!

Well using Microsoft Word to edit documents from the 1970s is not above Dan Rather and CBS.  scratchchin 

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):

Do you have yours? I sure don't have mine. I have my passport as my ultimate proof that I am a U.S. Citizen.

I still keep a certified copy of mine, as I had to submit one to get a passport about two years ago.

Q: What do God and Obama have in common?
A: Neither one has a birth certificate.
 biggrin 

That'll rile some people up.  wink 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

7324ever

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:34 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 44):

I still keep a certified copy of mine, as I had to submit one to get a passport about two years ago.

Q: What do God and Obama have in common?
A: Neither one has a birth certificate.
biggrin

That'll rile some people up. wink

Oh well that's inconclusive! Prove gods real with a birth certificate than ill believe Obama was not born in Kenya!

duck   duck   duck 
Anything the US and EU build the Russians do it better! i.e. TU-144 vs Concorde and TU-154 vs The 727...

seb146

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:51 am

Having a BC created for a candidate with Obama's popularity would be a simple thing to do with the right connections. Why does nobody even mention this? I'll bet this certificate is less than 2 or 3 years old.

Oh, for pete's sake. Let's look at this from a different angle: Obama was not even the front-runner when he submitted to run for president! He did not even become the front-runner for quite some time. Hillary? Richardson? Edwards? Remember them? They were WAY ahead of Obama in the polls when people were certified to run for president, including Obama himself. Why does no one on the right even remember that is the way history was instead of trying to re-write history?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

baroque

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 am

though I saw American voters return Bush after the cat was totally out of the bag on Iraq, this one is beyond the powers of my political imagination

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  Although to be fair what is even funnier is that the Birthers forged a Keyan birth cert using the information from a late middle aged guy in Adelaide.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2646009.htm

dtwclipper

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 47):
forged a Keyan birth cert using the information from a late middle aged guy in Adelaide.

"The fake Kenyan birth document has been circulated by political opponents of Obama's, called the Birthers, who are out to unseat him.

A growing online community who are against the Birthers quickly picked apart the bogus birth certificate and traced it back to about as far from Kenya as you can get - Thebarton Community Hospital at Mile End in South Australia and David Jeffrey Bomford."

Wow, not helping their cause! Perhaps stunts like this will shut these folks up once and for all!

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 44):
Well using Microsoft Word to edit documents from the 1970s is not above Dan Rather and CBS.

Rather didn't forge the documents. They were supplied to CBS and not completely fact checked, a big difference don't you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversy

dtwclipper

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Quoting MSNDC9 (Reply 14):
Oh, and let us not foget about the birth announcements in the local papers

At the time, those were automatically generated in Hawaii when a birth was reported. It didn't matter if the person was born in Hawaii or not, just that someone reported a live birth to the government. But that's beside the point.

I see, so Mrs O. called in from Kenya to some insider in Hawaii (because she knew her son would grow up and run for President some day) and had this "someone" report a live birth to the government?