andz

Tri-Nations 2009

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:28 am

4 matches into the 2009 Tri-Nations rugby competition and the Springboks are flying high with 3 wins from 3 matches. After giving the All Blacks a comprehensive rugby lesson in their first 2 games the Boks gave Australia a good going over yesterday, winning 29-17 in Cape Town.

Morne Steyn has been a sensation for us, scoring all 31 points against New Zealand last week and hitting the mark yesterday with all but one of his kicks.

Now the Boks head down under with an 8 point lead over New Zealand and 11 points over Australia. They are really playing like world champions now, let's hope they can take their form on tour!

Next match is Australia v New Zealand on 22 August, followed by the Wallabies hosting South Africa in Perth and Brisbane on 29 August and 5 September respectively. Then the Boks go to Hamilton to face the All Blacks on 12 September with the last match, New Zealand v Australia in Wellngton on 19 September.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

yowza

RE: Tri-Nations 2009

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Andz. I try to fire up the rugby threads whenever I can but find that they always seem to fade fast despite the international user base we have on A.net.

The 11AM Eastern kickoffs are perfect for Canadian rugby fans as taps open at 11! I've been hitting up my usual rugby pub with the SA boys dropping pints and cheering on the boks. It's been a massive transformation and I honestly feel that the side we have right now is better than the one that won the world cup.

I've been a long time fan of Morne Steyn's. He was unfairly held back by virtue of being Derick Hougaard's understudy at Loftus. Given a chance he has excelled in the past two seasons and was due for a shot at ten long before the "let's convert Ruan and squeeze him into a ten jersey" experiment began.The fact that he was not even starting 3 games ago but completely dictated the pace of the last two games (with du Preez) should tell the donkeys running the show that he's here to stay. Should...

Now as a WP supporter I love to see my boys play for the national side but there is a limit. This talk of Schalk coming back into the fold and taking over for Brussow is a joke. Brussow has proved invaluable; pinched countless balls, been in the right place at the right time, made some important tackles. All in all, he has been crucial to SA's success. In my mind this discussion is a non-starter. He should absolutely keep his place. Should...

On the other side of things Francois Steyn needs to be dropped or at the very least be given a bloody good talking to. Every time he gets the balls he tries to go for a spectacular run or behemoth drop goal when more sensible options are available. Beyond that he has made a number of schoolboy errors. Fine, he is not much removed from being a schoolboy but when there are other players of immense caliber battling for the 15 jersey it may be time to bench him.

YOWza

yowza

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm

No citing for Matt Giteau? Are you f*ching kidding me?

YOWza

andz

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 pm

That's pretty bad, but that challenge was so rash he could have ended his own career, the way he landed was nasty in itself.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...